THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 04:18
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A Question Of Color(s)  (Read 14479 times)

saturnine1979

A Question Of Color(s)
« on: 27 Sep 2005, 07:52 »

So I'm planning to do this comic series. I've got a lot of story written out, and characters done, but I'm tinkering with the coloring.

My question is... abstract color (colors I've picked) or found/asbstract color (more natural/realistic).

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b183/saturninephoto/teaser.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b183/saturninephoto/teaser_yellow.jpg

The first I feel is a little more cartoony, while the second has more mood. I'm not sure which is more effective for the story (and I guess neither do you, since you aren't privy)... so my question for you guys is which do you find more aesthetically pleasing?

Comments/Critiques on color are appreciated, as are any other critiques.

MilkmanDan

A Question Of Color(s)
« Reply #1 on: 27 Sep 2005, 09:45 »

Go with the mood lighting. Everyone loves mood lighting.
Also, make the site play a MIDI version of 'Let's Get it On'. You know it makes sense.

Jarne

A Question Of Color(s)
« Reply #2 on: 27 Sep 2005, 11:44 »

Damn. Both look great. I like the second one a bit more though, but it all depends on the overall mood.

Stifled Dreams

A Question Of Color(s)
« Reply #3 on: 27 Sep 2005, 13:39 »

Ok, I know you aren't asking this, but your art looks great. PM me when the comic's up on a website, eh?

The second, though. If you are doing a layout with panels in a page (like the strip Copper, if you're familiar with it) then I'd advise you to go with the first one for most panels and the second one for certain panels. Just an opinion.

Merkava

A Question Of Color(s)
« Reply #4 on: 01 Oct 2005, 11:28 »

I always preferred colors like the second one. I just like the down-to-earth nature of it. It's soft and doesn't get hard on the eyes.

Luke

A Question Of Color(s)
« Reply #5 on: 01 Oct 2005, 11:45 »

For that particular picture, the second set of colors matches the mood of the picture much better.

La Creme

A Question Of Color(s)
« Reply #6 on: 01 Oct 2005, 16:18 »

The second one is great. Reminds me of this for some reason.

Bunnyman

A Question Of Color(s)
« Reply #7 on: 08 Nov 2005, 20:37 »

I agree, the second one is rather more interesting.  Though the clothing colors would work a bit better if they were somewhat more muted.

I like the flow and feel of the piece though.  Good stuff.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
A Question Of Color(s)
« Reply #8 on: 08 Nov 2005, 21:05 »

i'm gonna go against the grain and say that i dislike the second image.  it reminds me a little of the gloomy town in the Thousand Year Door.

ComfortEagle

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
A Question Of Color(s)
« Reply #9 on: 08 Nov 2005, 21:40 »

I like the second one too.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
A Question Of Color(s)
« Reply #10 on: 08 Nov 2005, 21:51 »

It really depends a huge amount on what the tone of the comic is going to be; i.e., what the story is like.  The first colour-scheme is much lighter in mood (to me, anyway), much more bucolic and pastoral.  The second colour-scheme is a little more mysterious, there's a feeling about it that something dark is lurking just out of sight.  If you're writing a light, cheerful, birds-singing-in-the-fields summer sunshiny kind of comic, use the first scheme.  If you're writing something a bit grimmer or unsettling than that, go for the second.

However, the second needs a little more variety to it.  There's too much green there, and that's a bit overwhelming.  Perhaps change the colour of the kid's clothes a little?

Yume

A Question Of Color(s)
« Reply #11 on: 09 Nov 2005, 11:38 »

To me, both colors are equally pleasing, so it's hard to pick one.  I think, much like the comic Count Your Sheep [http://www.countyoursheep.keenspot.com], that you should use both.  For lighthearted plots or pictures, the first one is lovely, but for more depressing or memory-like scenes, the second one is nice.

saturnine1979

A Question Of Color(s)
« Reply #12 on: 09 Nov 2005, 17:50 »

thanks for all the feeback guys!
i really appreciate you simply looking at my stuff. it's nice to have another pair of eyes look over your work, believe me.

i've been hella busy with two art classes this semester, as well as a job, but i'm trying to get some pages of this comic done so i can get it going full time.

thanks for the support!
Pages: [1]   Go Up