THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 12:23
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wolf Parade  (Read 11046 times)

saturnine1979

Wolf Parade
« on: 27 Sep 2005, 20:30 »

I listened to Apologies To The Queen Mary this afternoon, and I was musing on Wolf Parade, and then just a few minutes ago I saw Jeph's newspost and.... well, I thought the matter should be discussed among us forum dwellers.

A friend sent me the album and their EP about a month or so ago. He'd been hyping them up alot for me, telling me I'd love them and whatnot... but I never really listened to it past a few scans of each song. Upon that first pass, I found the singer's voice to be grating and the music to be generic jangly indie folk/rock.

Aaaand...that first impression was about right.

Now, I know this is an obvious and probably unfair comparison, but I'd be remiss not mention that the singer's voice is like a deeper, more growly version of CYHSY's vocalist. Thing is, there's a difference there that, for me, makes a huge difference. i.e. I like CYHSY's vocals; I generally do not like Wolf Parade's. That's obviously going to be a galvanizing factor when it comes bands with odd vocalists.

I can say that I really like the song "This Heart's On Fire", but that's mainly because I sense a lot more restraint in the vocalist's voice. It sounds... prettier, for lack of a better term. It's more listenable to me.

Of course, there's more to a band than the vocalist, and I will say that I enjoy Wolf Parade's instrumentation for the most part. The little twee-like electronic flourishes are nice decoration for the jangly, almost raw folk/rock Parade play.

Overall... I think they're a decent outfit, but nowhere near deserving of all the hype they've been getting.

Thoughts?

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
Wolf Parade
« Reply #1 on: 27 Sep 2005, 20:40 »

There are two vocalists.

I haven't heard it yet. That's all I know, really. Plus I'm going to see them live on Sunday.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

saturnine1979

Wolf Parade
« Reply #2 on: 27 Sep 2005, 20:44 »

Hm...mabye the song I like is by the other vocalist?

Either way, the rest of the album doesn't really do anything for me.

Micolithe

Wolf Parade
« Reply #3 on: 28 Sep 2005, 08:38 »

I really like Wolf Parade. But that's my opinion and you don't have to agree.

ASturge

Wolf Parade
« Reply #4 on: 28 Sep 2005, 09:03 »

What if we do agree?

WHAT THEN!?

saturnine1979

Wolf Parade
« Reply #5 on: 28 Sep 2005, 11:21 »

Then you guys should go bowling.

Micolithe

Wolf Parade
« Reply #6 on: 28 Sep 2005, 12:16 »

BOWLING! Awesome.

Merkava

Wolf Parade
« Reply #7 on: 28 Sep 2005, 13:28 »

Isaac Brock produces. Interesting.

ASturge

Wolf Parade
« Reply #8 on: 28 Sep 2005, 13:44 »

I'd say that it was pretty obvious he produced after just one listen through.

It does sound very Modest Mousey.

1patheticloser

Wolf Parade
« Reply #9 on: 28 Sep 2005, 15:57 »

Yeah, I'm getting the same feeling saturnine1979. The vocals aren't to my liking, and it really is just kinda generic. I didn't know it was getting all that much hype, as I'm kind of on the fringe of this music scene, but I agree that if it's being touted as the "indie album must have of the year" perhaps I have a different definition of "must have" than others.

^^^^^ You have a point with the Modest Mouse thing. Which is probably why I don't really like it all that much. Never could get into Modest Mouse....

rive gauche

Wolf Parade
« Reply #10 on: 01 Oct 2005, 19:18 »

wolf parade are the hot new jams. end of story.

Rauko

Wolf Parade
« Reply #11 on: 01 Oct 2005, 20:34 »

And of course the place they hit in Philly has to be The Khyber.  Which means its going to be 21 and over.  WHHHHYYYY!!!!

I've listened to a few Modest Mouse CDs and couldn't stand them, but Wolf Parade makes me happy in ways that only Ted Leo (Chisel and TL/RX) has been able to.

saturnine1979

Wolf Parade
« Reply #12 on: 01 Oct 2005, 21:22 »

Maybe now I can empathize with those people who irrationally do not like The Arcade Fire.

I don't like the "Next Big Indie Thing".
Boo.

Martin

Wolf Parade
« Reply #13 on: 02 Oct 2005, 14:12 »

I like the vocals. And the rest of the band. Not shure why, but I think it all suits eachother quite well. Cool stuff.

Coonstar

Wolf Parade
« Reply #14 on: 02 Oct 2005, 15:51 »

I think the best part of this band is the vocals. I don't think that they're the bestest, but they're pretty good. Good enough that I'm seeing 'em on Friday.

Merkava

Wolf Parade
« Reply #15 on: 02 Oct 2005, 16:01 »

From what I've heard, the vocals sound awesome. The stuff I've heard is of a questionable quality, so I bet it will sound infinently better when I pick up the actual album.

Johnny C

• Mentat
Wolf Parade
« Reply #16 on: 03 Oct 2005, 21:07 »

Live?

Fucking awesome.

Grumpus

Wolf Parade
« Reply #17 on: 06 Oct 2005, 16:26 »

I've only heard I'll Believe in Anything but I thought It was excelent. I will be investigating this band some more.

ASturge

Wolf Parade
« Reply #18 on: 08 Oct 2005, 03:07 »

It's my fave album so far this year.

And with only a few months remaining...

Reno

Wolf Parade
« Reply #19 on: 08 Oct 2005, 10:21 »

Quote from: Johnny C
Live?

Fucking awesome.

Agreed!! Saw them last night with the Arcade Fire....Really good.

I think they were pretty hammered though near the end of their set.  I dont know the guys name...but the guitarist was very energetic and slmost seemed to have an early Keith Richards thing going, what with the hair and the cigarette and all.....but it seemed....rushed

JP

Wolf Parade
« Reply #20 on: 08 Oct 2005, 12:28 »

Quote from: ASturge

That was the first thing I thought when listening to it.

Coonstar

Wolf Parade
« Reply #21 on: 08 Oct 2005, 23:14 »

Quote from: Reno
Live?

Fucking awesome.

Agreed!! Saw them last night with the Arcade Fire....Really good.

I think they were pretty hammered though near the end of their set.  I dont know the guys name...but the guitarist was very energetic and slmost seemed to have an early Keith Richards thing going, what with the hair and the cigarette and all.

That's Dan. The man who needs to be fed.

Notice how he didn't even light his cigarette until like halfway through their set.

Reno

Wolf Parade
« Reply #22 on: 09 Oct 2005, 09:28 »

he had one at the start, then he put that one out then had one in his mouth that he didnt light till half way through....at least that was the way it looked

Oh, does anyone know where I can find their album around here? Would Scratch have it?

sjbrot

Wolf Parade
« Reply #23 on: 10 Oct 2005, 23:00 »

Quote from: JP

From what I read in Exclaim!, Isaac Brock only really produced half the album. The rest the band did themselves. There is still a similarity in sounds, though.

Coonstar

Wolf Parade
« Reply #24 on: 11 Oct 2005, 00:15 »

Quote from: Reno
he had one at the start, then he put that one out then had one in his mouth that he didnt light till half way through....at least that was the way it looked

Oh, does anyone know where I can find their album around here? Would Scratch have it?

No clue about Scratch, but Zulu had a sale on their album a week back... for 10 bucks or something. Which is pretty damn good for Zulu. I hope it's still there.

AwesomeAaron

Wolf Parade
« Reply #25 on: 11 Oct 2005, 13:31 »

I just got Apologies to the queen Mary last night. I really really like it. I've been shouting "Give me your eyes, I need Sunshine" all the time. people are starting to give me weird looks. I need to go hook up my iPod to my bigass stereo and rockout.

Jarne

Wolf Parade
« Reply #26 on: 11 Oct 2005, 13:41 »

Which Modest Mouse are we talking about? Do they sound like "Doin' The Cockroach" Modest Mouse, "Float On" Modest Mouse or "3rd Planet" Modest Mouse?

ASturge

Wolf Parade
« Reply #27 on: 11 Oct 2005, 13:45 »

hmmmm

Doin' the Cockroach I'm thinkin'.

Also,

GIVE ME

YOUR EYES

I NEED

SUNSHINE

Jarne

Wolf Parade
« Reply #28 on: 11 Oct 2005, 15:29 »

Well, now I've gotta check it out.

Merkava

Wolf Parade
« Reply #29 on: 11 Oct 2005, 17:36 »

I think they're more "Float On" Modest Mouse. Spindly drumming, soft rythmic guitars, odd yelping vocals...

not as harsh as "Doin' the Cockroach" or as mellow as "3rd Planet", I think.

Reno

Wolf Parade
« Reply #30 on: 12 Oct 2005, 00:38 »

Quote from: Coonstar

No clue about Scratch, but Zulu had a sale on their album a week back... for 10 bucks or something. Which is pretty damn good for Zulu. I hope it's still there.

Figures.....I can never find that bloody place...always get lost....cause I always forget my directions at home....

I can only find Scratch cause it is like 2 blocks from SkyTrain, and I stumbled upon the Virgin store (Now HMV)

Jarne

Wolf Parade
« Reply #31 on: 12 Oct 2005, 04:14 »

Quote from: Merkava
I think they're more "Float On" Modest Mouse. Spindly drumming, soft rythmic guitars, odd yelping vocals...

not as harsh as "Doin' the Cockroach" or as mellow as "3rd Planet", I think.

So no crazy metaphors like "A Different City"?

Merkava

Wolf Parade
« Reply #32 on: 12 Oct 2005, 09:22 »

Actually, "A Different City" may be the best way to describe them, though they don't have annoying guitar riff. :P

Red House Painters

Wolf Parade
« Reply #33 on: 03 Nov 2005, 18:05 »

I effing love Wolf Parade.  If I ever make a "best songs of '05" mix, both Dear Sons and Daughters of Hungry Ghosts and I'll Believe In Anything are going on there.  So danceable.

JLM

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
Wolf Parade
« Reply #34 on: 03 Nov 2005, 18:22 »

danceable?  those two songs?

I guess you could do the "white-man's overbite" to them...maybe more marching or jumping...not dancing the way I think of it, though.

chamberk

Wolf Parade
« Reply #35 on: 03 Nov 2005, 19:57 »

I have a couple of friends who cannot get over them.  For some reason, I can't really get into them too much.  There are a couple of catchy songs but the album seems to drag.

Johnny C

• Mentat
Wolf Parade
« Reply #36 on: 03 Nov 2005, 20:02 »

GIVE ME

YOUR EYES

I NEED

SUNSHINE

GIVE-Ah MAY

Ah-YOUR EYES

Ah-I NEED

Ah-SUN-ah-SHINE

I don't think the album drags; in fact, the section from "Shine A Light" to "I'll Believe In Anything" is a three-punch that pretty much overwhelms me, and I wind up listening to "Dinner Bells" as more a time to recover than anything else.

Red House Painters

Wolf Parade
« Reply #37 on: 04 Nov 2005, 05:11 »

Quote from: JLM
danceable?  those two songs?

I guess you could do the "white-man's overbite" to them...maybe more marching or jumping...not dancing the way I think of it, though.

Well, dancing...jumping...frolicking...all synonomous in this context, methinks.

Dara

Wolf Parade
« Reply #38 on: 04 Nov 2005, 06:12 »

I love me some Wolf Parade. probably in my top 10 albums of the year for '05

pat101

• 1-800-SCABIES
    • A Minor Mass
Wolf Parade
« Reply #39 on: 05 Nov 2005, 10:15 »

I enjoy wolf parade, they opened for arcade fire on their last tour and really won me over.

Joseph

• Duck attack survivor
Wolf Parade
« Reply #40 on: 05 Nov 2005, 15:02 »

I bought their album the day it came out after hearing about them for a bit before, and I loved it instantly.  I swear, I listened to nothing but that album for the next 2 or 3 days.  It has such a captivating energy, and I love the vocals.  There's definately a Modest Mouse vibe in there, but while the music is similar, Wolf Parade are doing their own thing that's better than a good portion of Modest Mouse (in my opinion).

I ended up seeing them live when they came through Vancouver opening for The Arcade Fire, and I loved it.  Their preformance wasn't as great as it could hvae been (they had problems getting to the show and were rushed setting up apparently, so I attribure it to that) but it was still bursting full of energy.  The lead guitarist (can't remember his name) was especially great for the energy, likely because he was drunk out of his mind (that's my guess anyway).

Anyway, Reno, Scratch should have it, and I know that Zulu definately has it (I got it there, and they still had it last time I went in).  Hell, last time I was in HMV they had 7 copies of it, which blew me away.

beaverseestheshark

Wolf Parade
« Reply #41 on: 06 Nov 2005, 12:59 »

the album's a tad overrated. I mean, I like the singer's voice and overall sound of the record, but the songs are a little too similar to each other and kinda boring (think they show a bit of lack of songwriting skills). it's pretty nice music though...

ASturge

Wolf Parade
« Reply #42 on: 06 Nov 2005, 13:04 »

^

They aren't very original. The whole reason for the album rocking is the quality of the songwriting.

So NYAH

beaverseestheshark

Wolf Parade
« Reply #43 on: 06 Nov 2005, 14:21 »

^
I really can't see any objective way to determine if the songwriting's good or bad, so let that remain a dispute matter. and you're right, the sound's not original, but pleasant enough.

Valrus

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • moo hoo ha ha
Wolf Parade
« Reply #44 on: 08 Nov 2005, 20:25 »

One more reason to love Wolf Parade. See the first quote behind the link.

Also, the first time I heard "You Are A Runner and Blah Blah Blah" I didn't think Modest Mouse; I thought Talking Heads. Of course, I haven't really listened to them that much in a very long time. Am I totally off base?
Whatever you give up for Lent, it better not be your day job.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
Wolf Parade
« Reply #45 on: 10 Nov 2005, 22:10 »

If you don't think their new album is one of the best of 2005 you have a TIN EAR.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

Johnny C

• Mentat
Wolf Parade
« Reply #46 on: 11 Nov 2005, 00:51 »

So... who does Wolf Parade sound like, then?

Anyways. Yeah, I think it just edged out The Woods.

Cpt.Fantastic

Wolf Parade
« Reply #47 on: 11 Nov 2005, 09:05 »

Quote from: JP

Me too.

'Fancy Claps' and 'You Are A Runner And I Am My Father's Son' are my favourite songs on the album at the mo.

I don't think it's the best album of 2005 (BSS! BSS!), but it's definately in the top 5 for me.

JLM

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
Wolf Parade
« Reply #48 on: 11 Nov 2005, 15:46 »

Quote from: jeph
If you don't think their new album is one of the best of 2005 you have a TIN EAR.

*checks ears*

nope...still flesh.  I think it's a strong debut, don't get me wrong, but if it is to be considered one of the "best of 2005" then I think we're looking at a pretty lackluster year in music.
Pages: [1]   Go Up