THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 23 Apr 2024, 16:59
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: backups  (Read 4062 times)

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
backups
« on: 28 Sep 2005, 11:33 »

I accidentally hosed all the data on my laptop a couple hours ago, and just successfully recovered using the backup I did on Friday.  Thank god.  Considering how nervous I was during the recovery process, I'm thinking I should start doing double-backups.

Everyone, backup your computer RIGHT NOW!!!

1patheticloser

backups
« Reply #1 on: 28 Sep 2005, 12:03 »

I would suggest a setup akin to mine, being the program files on one HD, files on the other, but seeing now that you have a laptop, I shall remain silent.

Se7en

backups
« Reply #2 on: 28 Sep 2005, 12:09 »

I never bother with backups. All my important shiznit is on more than one PC anyway, and a little knowledge and foresight goes a long way when choosing hard drives.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
backups
« Reply #3 on: 28 Sep 2005, 13:45 »

The problem wasn't that the harddrive failed, but rather I formatted it.  A dumbass move that I'm stil kicking myself over, but fortunately I had a complete disk image on an external harddrive so I just cloned that over.

carbon copy cloner ftw!

Picking the right harddrive can protect against harddrive failure (although even that is asking for trouble if you are doing video work like I do, since that'll thrash the drive like crazy,) but it doesn't help at all against human error.

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • WTF was I thinking when I picked this name?
backups
« Reply #4 on: 28 Sep 2005, 14:30 »

My PC has a 250Gb hard drive

I have a 250Gb USB hard drive, and a copy of Norton Ghost.

On the last day of every month, my PC automatically shunts a complete copy of the contents of my C: drive onto the USB hard drive. No boiling, no fuss. If anything ever goes wrong, all I have to do is access the stored image, and bingo! all is good with the world.
ROCK MORE, ROLL MORE, LURK MOAR
Pages: [1]   Go Up