THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 09:34
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Superman Returns.  (Read 9736 times)

Leonidas

• Furry furrier
Superman Returns.
« on: 29 Sep 2005, 03:16 »

This is one I am particularly excited about.  :D

Due for release on the 30th of July 2006, the story as far as I can gather, involves Superman/Clark Kent returning to Earth after an unexplained five year absense. He returns to find that Lois not only has a new man in her life, but also has a four year old son. Who exactly is the father?
Also, where was Superman exactly? Again, from what I have been able to gather, and a bit of a guess, he went in search of Krypton. Again though I stress, that is a bit of a guess....

Here is Kevin Spacey as Lex Luthor:

And of course, the man himself, played by Brandon Routh:

Click the last picture for a link to a trailer.
She looked me over and I guess she thought I was all right...
All right in a sort of a limited way for an off night.

1patheticloser

Superman Returns.
« Reply #1 on: 29 Sep 2005, 05:48 »

Well, Bryan Singer did do a pretty bang-up job with the X-Men series (I <3 Alan Cummings' Nightcrawler), so I'll most likely see this with high hopes.

And c'mon. Kevin Spacey. Just....Spacey....How can you say no to that...(ignore K-PAX and Life of David Gale)

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
Superman Returns.
« Reply #2 on: 29 Sep 2005, 09:22 »

Meh, I'll wait for it to come out to rental.  I pretty much dislike Superman but like Singer.

StarMinion1

• Plantmonster
Re: Superman Returns.
« Reply #3 on: 29 Sep 2005, 13:40 »

Quote from: Leonidas
Again, from what I have been able to gather, and a bit of a guess, he went in search of Krypton. Again though I stress, that is a bit of a guess....

I believe Krypton exploded.... Perhaps Kandor was restored and he went to hang out there....

Edit: I also think the Superman costume seems plain, one of those costumes that looks better in comics I guess

Luke

Superman Returns.
« Reply #4 on: 29 Sep 2005, 13:45 »

Quote from: Leonidas
<image>a bald guy named Kevin</image>

It's Sideways!1

I'll probably go out and see this movie when it's released in theatres. Who knows, I just might actually have some money by summer '06.

thehoopiestfrood

Superman Returns.
« Reply #5 on: 29 Sep 2005, 15:30 »

That sounds awesome, though I kinda wish that 1. Singer was also doing X3 and 2. they were starting again from the beginning with no reference to previous films a la Batman Begins.

Maui

Superman Returns.
« Reply #6 on: 29 Sep 2005, 22:59 »

I'll probably go out and see this movie when it's released in theatres. Who knows, I just might actually have some money by summer '06.

Oh snap! Im going with you!

Superman FTW.

ForteBass

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
Superman Returns.
« Reply #7 on: 30 Sep 2005, 06:05 »

Is it just me or does Kevin Spacey look a little... weird as Lex Luthor?
Quote from: Eris
Man, Friday night and I'm drawing tacos to post on the internet. I need another drink.

oceansaway

Superman Returns.
« Reply #8 on: 30 Sep 2005, 06:18 »

That costume is sort of lame looking, maybe they should have made the S larger and not a plate on his costume.

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
Superman Returns.
« Reply #9 on: 30 Sep 2005, 10:14 »

Quote from: ForteBass

My first thought is he looks like Dr. Evil.

Luke

Superman Returns.
« Reply #10 on: 30 Sep 2005, 13:08 »

Quote from: Maui
Oh snap! Im going with you!

Oh snap! Sounds like a good idea to me!

Leonidas

• Furry furrier
Superman Returns.
« Reply #11 on: 09 Oct 2005, 12:59 »

Ah, but it also has Kate Bosworth playing Lois Lane....

:)

And the movie is set after events in Superman II. Any other sequels are just ignored. I even believe that some unused footage of Brando from Superman as Jarel is going to be used.

SuperPablo13

Superman Returns.
« Reply #12 on: 10 Oct 2005, 22:12 »

But still connecting it to any established continuity seems bad. Like thehoopiestfrood said I think they should just start their own thing. I never really cared for Superman as a character until just recently and the original movie was pretty boring. But I have faith in Singer. He does good work and Spacey does look pretty kick ass as Luthor.

LiterSize

• Curry sauce
Superman Returns.
« Reply #13 on: 11 Oct 2005, 11:15 »

That trailer image... really makes it look like Superman has huge boobs.

ImRonBurgundy?

• Bling blang blong blung
  • "That's all," he added.
Superman Returns.
« Reply #14 on: 11 Oct 2005, 22:45 »

You just came back to shit in my heart, didn't you Ryan?

sjbrot

Superman Returns.
« Reply #15 on: 11 Oct 2005, 23:30 »

I liked it better when Nicholas Cage was supposed to be Superman.

Se7en

Superman Returns.
« Reply #16 on: 11 Oct 2005, 23:35 »

I cant muster any enthusiasm. Superman is the original crappy one dimensional superhero. It doesnt mattter how much you mess with the story, you still have a cliche in a cape.

SuperPablo13

Superman Returns.
« Reply #17 on: 12 Oct 2005, 00:27 »

I'm not terribly excited for the movie, but because of recent comics I would disagree that Superman is lame. Brian Azzarello did a great arc for him and Joe Kelly did good work for him that expanded his character. I've held a grudge against the character for a long damn while, but in the pst couple of months I've bought more issues than I ever imagined I would.

Malkster

Superman Returns.
« Reply #18 on: 12 Oct 2005, 12:25 »

Quote from: ForteBass

You know, I was just thinking the opposite.  Out of all the SM movies my immediate thought was that he was the right fit.

Couldn't tell you why.

LiterSize

• Curry sauce
Superman Returns.
« Reply #19 on: 12 Oct 2005, 13:15 »

Oh, Gene Hackman was a great Luthor!  He was manic, great presence, all that.

Leonidas

• Furry furrier
Superman Returns.
« Reply #20 on: 15 Oct 2005, 06:33 »

I have to say, I'm surprised at that lack of enthuisiasm for this movie. Personally I'm creaming my pants (metaphorically speaking) in anticipation.

One excuse I have heard from other people about the lack of interest in Superman as a character is that he lacks a certain edge compared to more modern characters. He's invunerable, and so therefore without a weakness, which in turn makes him boring.

I disagree.

But people are talking about having no physical weakness. And while Superman doesn't have that unless in the presence of Kryptonite, he does have weaknesses.

Look at Superman II for example in order to see his greatest weakness. The fact that Zod and his two little chums are able to use Superman's dedication and "love" for human kind against him. Not only this but to risk those closest to him, i.e. Lois. Not only this but we have seen Superman fighting against the own rules he sets himself (turning back time in Superman I to save Lois) for his own selfish needs. A very human trait.

Just because you can't shoot him or injure him physically does not make him a one dimensional character at all, and I do believe there is plenty more scope to be had out of this franchise/character yet.

Se7en

Superman Returns.
« Reply #21 on: 15 Oct 2005, 09:19 »

All well and good you think, but what about next time? Every time, it becomes harder and harder to keep the plot interesting, and it becomes more and more contrived.

Superman started out as the most one dimentional character of them all, and any attempts to flesh him out can only work for so long.

Why oh WHY do they insist on keeping dead franchises tottering along for so long? Its crap, sweep it under the carpet, and replace it with something imaginative. I'm fed up of sequels.

Leonidas

• Furry furrier
Superman Returns.
« Reply #22 on: 15 Oct 2005, 11:35 »

There's a big difference between making cynical sequels just to coin in some some shitty franchise to try and squeeze some more money out of it (XXX2, Transporter 2, etc etc) and continuing the story of one of the most loved and recognised characters in the world.

You might think it's crap, I certainly don't.

Daniel

Superman Returns.
« Reply #23 on: 22 Oct 2005, 23:44 »

I really don't know about this movie. I do like Superman, I think he has potential for really good stories - it's just not often that his potential gets fulfilled. At the moment, there isn't much about Superman Returns that overly electrifies me.

I'm more excited about the upcoming All-Star Superman comic, by Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely. It'll be the first time I buy a monthly Superman title in quite some time. The preview, if anyone cares:

http://www.newsarama.com/dcnew/allstarsuperman/ASSM_1_1.jpg
http://www.newsarama.com/dcnew/allstarsuperman/ASSM_1_02_03.jpg
http://www.newsarama.com/dcnew/allstarsuperman/ASSM_1_4.jpg
http://www.newsarama.com/dcnew/allstarsuperman/ASSM_1_05.jpg
http://www.newsarama.com/dcnew/allstarsuperman/ASSM_1_8.jpg
http://www.newsarama.com/dcnew/allstarsuperman/ASSM_1_9.jpg
http://www.newsarama.com/dcnew/allstarsuperman/ASSM_1_10.jpg

And don't diss Transporter 2 - it was totally sweet.

Leonidas

• Furry furrier
Superman Returns.
« Reply #24 on: 03 Dec 2005, 08:23 »

Well, it still excites the crap out of me. The new trailer from the official website also does it for me. :)

http://supermanreturns.warnerbros.com/trailer.html

There are very few true major movie moments. So many of them are forced upon us only to disappoint. The new Star Wars trilogy for example. I feel however this new Superman movie really can be one of those great moments in cinema.
Pages: [1]   Go Up