THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 20 Apr 2024, 00:09
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: what do you play?  (Read 29113 times)

OtterErotic

what do you play?
« Reply #100 on: 07 Oct 2005, 10:47 »

I sing and play guitar in a band called Get Him Eat Him -- we're playing at Northsix in Brooklyn tonight (10/7) if anyone's around and wants to come see us!  Whee

Reno

what do you play?
« Reply #101 on: 07 Oct 2005, 11:15 »

Quote from: normz
so yeah I usually give any musical instrument a go cause once you know a bit of musical theory its pretty easy to try anything and everything!

Yup, know that one.....any wind powered instrument, whether a woodwind, brass or what have you, give me a fingering cahrt and I can play it.....cant guarentee it will sound anything resembling decent, but I can play it, and will sound ok pretty quickly

Borondir

• Furry furrier
    • My Last.Fm
what do you play?
« Reply #102 on: 07 Oct 2005, 12:16 »

Quote from: soak
So yeah, I can do anything a typical bass, tenor or alto could sing. I can sing soprano too, but it doesn't sound good at all.

Ooh, ahh!

Is there anything you can't do?
Apparently not...

AngelofShadows

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • One body.....one mind.
what do you play?
« Reply #103 on: 07 Oct 2005, 13:44 »

I play the drums in a well....I guess we're a metal band, called the Primal Urge.
There are some basic rules to remember when cosplaying.
   1. If you're a hot Asian chick you can wear whatever you want and say it's whatever you want. Lingerie and some Pikachu ears are totally a legitimate costume.
   2. Everyone else needs to GTFO.

Cpt.Fantastic

what do you play?
« Reply #104 on: 07 Oct 2005, 14:32 »

I play guitar and bass.

In two bands - The Orgasmic Hellos (guitar) and *sigh* Trip (bass)

Grumpus

what do you play?
« Reply #105 on: 07 Oct 2005, 14:40 »

My Air Guitar > You

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
what do you play?
« Reply #106 on: 07 Oct 2005, 15:23 »

Quote from: Grumpus
You point me to a cheap one and then hell yea!

I actually advise against getting an organ. As an organ owner myself (which admittedly I got at £99 marked down from £799) I've got to say only buy an organ if you want to play an organ. The keys are not weighted, so you actually aren't playing piano at all.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Luke

what do you play?
« Reply #107 on: 07 Oct 2005, 19:50 »

I hate playing organs. They sound good in church, and if you play them in the right context, but I hate playing them. A nice touch-sensitive pedal'd piano just can't be beat.

Stifled Dreams

what do you play?
« Reply #108 on: 07 Oct 2005, 20:07 »

Quote from: Grumpus
My Air Guitar > You

That may be true, but Your Air Guitar < my oboe.

Sorry, oboe wins always. They are basically pretty woodwind DUCKS. Silliest instrument ever.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
what do you play?
« Reply #109 on: 08 Oct 2005, 06:08 »

Quote from: Luke
I hate playing organs. They sound good in church, and if you play them in the right context, but I hate playing them. A nice touch-sensitive pedal'd piano just can't be beat.

Well my electric organ has loads of keyboard sounds and stuff. Most of them are really cheesy, which is a good thing for my shitty band!

normz

what do you play?
« Reply #110 on: 08 Oct 2005, 06:11 »

i love shitty bands..... i wish i was in a shitty band :( instead i just gatecrash everyone elses jam sessions and fool around

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
what do you play?
« Reply #111 on: 08 Oct 2005, 08:25 »

i love shitty bands..... i wish i was in a shitty band :( instead i just gatecrash everyone elses jam sessions and fool around

Check out our website. Maybe you'll like us.

Cpt.Fantastic

what do you play?
« Reply #112 on: 08 Oct 2005, 08:30 »

I'M IN TRIP!

normz

what do you play?
« Reply #113 on: 08 Oct 2005, 08:32 »

lol i used to jokingly be the triangle player for my mates hardcore metal band .... but that was just a clever ploy to attract guys to gig with the promise of cleavage from the hot triangle player *sigh* how naive i was

Everest

what do you play?
« Reply #114 on: 08 Oct 2005, 09:28 »

Hey normz, we could start a shitty band over the net :) I play shitty drums, and I'm probably a less-than-lousy singer too!

Luke

what do you play?
« Reply #115 on: 08 Oct 2005, 21:43 »

Quote from: Cpt.Fantastic
I'M IN TRIP!

*sigh*

Sheri

what do you play?
« Reply #116 on: 08 Oct 2005, 23:23 »

I preface this post by saying: I am a huge band dork.

I really don't like it when people say 'Oh, I can make a sound on this instrument so that means I play it,' so I only list instruments I've played in performances when people ask me, 'What instrument do you play?'

In order of 'I consider myself a (instrument)ist. . .'

Bass clarinet
Clarinet
Alto, contra-alto, and contrabass clarinet
Baritone saxophone
Tenor saxophone

I play clarinet in my university's Concert Band and Symphony Band, and I play bass clarinet in my university's Wind Ensemble.  My uni has a fanastic music program (it's not me bragging, because I'm not actually IN the music department) and the Wind Ensemble is very, very well respected and all three of the concert bands are very good (even the lowest, Concert Band, which is mostly non-music majors and freshmen music majors, is still very good!).  The Wind Ensemble is entirely (except for me) upperclassmen music majors.  How I'm in it, I don't know.

Additionally, I have a concert tomorrow (all three bands are playing; I'm in every piece on the concert).  Wind Ensemble is playing Rhapsody in Blue and the piano soloist is the piano player for the Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra.  I'm so excited!

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
what do you play?
« Reply #117 on: 09 Oct 2005, 07:27 »

Quote from: Sheri
I really don't like it when people say 'Oh, I can make a sound on this instrument so that means I play it,' so I only list instruments I've played in performances when people ask me, 'What instrument do you play?'

So do I, except for mandolin, which I would have played in concert if I owned one.

normz

what do you play?
« Reply #118 on: 09 Oct 2005, 07:35 »

Quote from: Everest
Hey normz, we could start a shitty band over the net :) I play shitty drums, and I'm probably a less-than-lousy singer too!

woot let me be your shitty triangle player :P

Everest

what do you play?
« Reply #119 on: 09 Oct 2005, 10:44 »

I wonder if it's possible to be shitty on triangle, I always figured it was just hitting the triangular part with the stick. Or is that ignorant or something?

Right so now we need a bass player and a guitarist, and we're set. Anything else is welcome too, of course. Any accordeonists around? :)

dracotuni

what do you play?
« Reply #120 on: 09 Oct 2005, 20:26 »

Quote from: Sheri
I play clarinet in my university's Concert Band and Symphony Band, and I play bass clarinet in my university's Wind Ensemble.

my goal is to reach that level when i get out of high school. guess i'll have to deal with life-time high of 4th chair in sr.high all-county in 10th grade... (hey, at least i made it! goin' for 2nd chair this year)

aahz

what do you play?
« Reply #121 on: 09 Oct 2005, 22:54 »

Well, I play the electric bass. Have so for about three years. Just joined a thrash metal band full of people way more talented than me, but forced them to let me play by showing off my fretless Warwick.

Chymes

• Plantmonster
what do you play?
« Reply #122 on: 12 Oct 2005, 15:25 »

I play my records backwards because I'm the spawn of Satan.

Merkava

what do you play?
« Reply #123 on: 12 Oct 2005, 19:48 »

NO.

We need 4 drum sets, half a guitar, and a ten-tier keyboard set on OBOE.

Jooooosh

what do you play?
« Reply #124 on: 12 Oct 2005, 19:50 »

i play ze guitar and ze trumpet

i am teh coolness
fast-food for thought

thermodynamics

what do you play?
« Reply #125 on: 12 Oct 2005, 21:39 »

i play guitar, electric bass, stand up bass, banjo, mandolin, and keys. i'm working on learning drugs.

i play in "thermodynamics" and "the band who..."  

(i didn't get to name the second one)

somewhat_removed

what do you play?
« Reply #126 on: 12 Oct 2005, 22:15 »

i can play just about anything with strings. a little bit of sax and piano as well.

but i cant, for the life of me, get a sound out of a flute. not one you'd wanna hear, anyway ¬.¬

Luke

what do you play?
« Reply #127 on: 12 Oct 2005, 22:27 »

A piano has strings too, y'know.

somewhat_removed

what do you play?
« Reply #128 on: 13 Oct 2005, 00:13 »

Quote from: Luke
A piano has strings too, y'know.

touche! just about anything with strings, then. pianos and harps aren't my strong point. mandolins either, too damn tiny >.<

i don't think i'd record with anything other than bass, double bass or guitar though.

or a chapman stick if i got the chance! ::drool::

normz

what do you play?
« Reply #129 on: 13 Oct 2005, 00:22 »

Quote from: Merkava

NO.

awwww but I will help sell records with the power of boobs :P and i really rock out the triangle :P

Unosuke

what do you play?
« Reply #130 on: 13 Oct 2005, 05:33 »

I've got mad kazoo skillz I could contribute.
Jeph: I think I like drunken baking. It has a sense of danger that you just don't get when you're sober.

The lonely Astronaut

what do you play?
« Reply #131 on: 13 Oct 2005, 10:31 »

awwww but I will help sell records with the power of boobs :P and i really rock out the triangle :P

Boobs + Triangle = Profit ;)

Maybe it's even possible to play it with the boobs who knows oO''

As I am sometimes lucky ;) My Great-Grandma died long time ago but her old house is still beside ours - so I got a whole house to put my Instruments in and got enough space to Practice ... I started on Guitar when I was like 11-12, Bass Guitar 1 1/2 years ago and Drums half a year ago ... I kinda shuffeld a lotta stuff till now so I can have fun practicing until i drop on the floor ^^.
Currently playing an Eastwood Airline, some wooden Yamaha Bass and some kinda cheap Mapex Drums - and , also luckily, I got my Hands on a Microphone System with Amp now.

Everest

what do you play?
« Reply #132 on: 13 Oct 2005, 13:07 »

NO.

Fuck yeah that'd be the awesomest. And normz can play the triangle topless, for good measure :)

somewhat_removed

what do you play?
« Reply #133 on: 13 Oct 2005, 14:45 »

NO.

Fuck yeah that'd be the awesomest. And normz can play the triangle topless, for good measure :)

triangle my foot, cowbell 4tw!

Everest

what do you play?
« Reply #134 on: 13 Oct 2005, 14:48 »

She could hit the triangle with a cowbell :)

johngalt

what do you play?
« Reply #135 on: 13 Oct 2005, 15:20 »

More cowbell! You always could use more cowbell!

Started off at a young age on the piano, from there I moved on to the violin.  I also picked up euphonium and from there I learned trombone, and trumpet to some extent.  Now, I'm working on guitar and its coming along well.  My friends and I are discussing the possibilities of a band. Heh, we'll see how that goes.

Merkava

what do you play?
« Reply #136 on: 13 Oct 2005, 15:29 »

I have a fever...

Seckspants

what do you play?
« Reply #137 on: 13 Oct 2005, 16:12 »

I was once able to play the xylophone. Buggered if I can remember anything about it now though xD

sjbrot

what do you play?
« Reply #138 on: 13 Oct 2005, 23:54 »

Hit two cow bells together. Or have an arrangement of cowbells of various sizes to make a symphony of cowbells.

devilzbitch

what do you play?
« Reply #139 on: 14 Oct 2005, 21:16 »

i mostly sing, because i don't like the lack of direct control you get over instruments.
i also play electric bass and tuba, and i used to play violin and trumpet.

Grumpus

what do you play?
« Reply #140 on: 14 Oct 2005, 23:17 »

My friend has recently started a band. He got me and a mate around to hear them. I found a piano acordian in his house and every time they started to play I started my improvised tunes. having never piked one of things up before it was very shit and eventualy he kicked em out of his house.

It was awsome...

CHEESEGOD

what do you play?
« Reply #141 on: 18 Nov 2005, 14:53 »

I'm learning bass guitar. It's kind of a downer because from my dad I get "ARE YOU GOOD AS LES CLAYPOOL YET?" and from everyone else I get "Oh...bass is cool too...."

I'd also like to play the accordion..that would be tight. Er..I mean...FTW

tragic

what do you play?
« Reply #142 on: 18 Nov 2005, 16:50 »

i play piano for my own relaxation/entertainment.
and i play bass in a black metal band.
we don't have a name.
and we're still shit.
but we'll get better i swear.
its hard being girl in black metal band. :(
i play bit of violin too.
but not for a while.

Joseph

• Duck attack survivor
what do you play?
« Reply #143 on: 18 Nov 2005, 17:45 »

I play saxophone, mainly because it's sweet, but partially because I had played clarinet, then realised it sucked, and since saxophone is pretty similar...

I also plan on learning guitar in the near future.

unicornsaresupersexy

hmm
« Reply #144 on: 18 Nov 2005, 21:20 »

Singing? voice is an instrument I suppose, drums, as in a set.  I could probally play like the whole marching band thing if I put my mind too it, but I really don't want to.  I've played bass before, but I don't have any skill.  I play a mean recorder solo I learned in the fourth grade, it's pretty damn hardcore.

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
    • http://www.goat.cx
what do you play?
« Reply #145 on: 18 Nov 2005, 21:43 »

I play the drums. More specifically, I play the double bass drums real fast, and work around that.
also israel

AngelicHapa

• Not quite a lurker
    • Evilspace
what do you play?
« Reply #146 on: 20 Nov 2005, 02:53 »

I play guitar (mainly acoustic, although I just got an electric) and piano. I also sing and I can play bass, but I'm not terribly good at it. I used to play flute back in elementary school when my teacher forced all of his students to learn an instrument.
I too write my own stuff. I've got crappy recordings of my songs on http://www.myspace.com/rachelpickerel">Myspace and http://www.soundclick.com/rachelpickerel">soundclick if you want to hear 'em.
Haiku are hard to
write because you only get
seventeen sylla

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
what do you play?
« Reply #147 on: 20 Nov 2005, 06:30 »

I play Trombone okayish, Euphonium/Baritone pretty well, (I'm in all of the select bands and ensembles for each), I understand the rudiments of Guitar, and I can play melodies on the piano (harmonies much slower). I know I can make sound on a trumpet, but I haven't noodled around with one in a while, so I have no idea what my skill level is at.

I sing Baritone/Tenor, and am in the Jazz Choir (Select singing witout dancing ensemble) at my school as well.

I take AP Music Theory, so my writing is basically only in 4-part chorale style, although I can do basic guitar chord pregressions because they're insanely easy.
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

Fabio

what do you play?
« Reply #148 on: 20 Nov 2005, 07:22 »

I play guitar (badly) and drums (average) and sing occasionally.

I'm in Slow-motion Nazi-death and *sigh* Trip.

Blank_Jebus

what do you play?
« Reply #149 on: 20 Nov 2005, 19:41 »

i play the trumpet, a little bit of the guitar i tinker around with it every now and then, and i will be getting a bass soon sadly enough now band for me to play in :(
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up