THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 23 Apr 2024, 20:28
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: what do you play?  (Read 29189 times)

noise_wave

what do you play?
« Reply #50 on: 03 Oct 2005, 13:38 »

A voice can be considered an instrument, I think. Though I cannot claim that my voice is any instrument as I cannot sing very well. I do, however, play the Tenor Saxophone and the Sopranino saxophone in a small Jazz band called The Triads from Hell. When we do blues songs though, I tend to pull out the harmonica. I also play the piano and a very poor guitar (I don't know how to play very well). I also play the Viola, but am in search for a used Violin in good condition. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
what do you play?
« Reply #51 on: 03 Oct 2005, 14:17 »

I play guitar, bass, harmonica, I sing (a high tenor, can do harmonies by ear but can't sight read) I can play organ/piano/keyboards, percussion and I'm working on actual drumkits, mandolin...er...there might be more than that but I've lost track. I could give a ukelele a go probably.

I play in two..well, projects.

www.purevolume.com/inabial is the first one. That's my band that is deliberately shite, we make the worst music we possibly can, and yet have somehow sold over a dozen copies of the two albums we've put together in this year alone. We're already planning the third one. I know we're awful, any put-downs you can give me will be much appreciated.

www.purevolume.com/expendable is the actual one, which is just me on my own. This one is unintentionally shite...I know I'm terrible though. My recordings fall into two categories - 1. using my recording program properly, but due to sound card errors each different track I use is SLIGHTLY out of time. There's also the odd editing error. (the vocals cut out on Fifty thousand Miles at one point) 2. I just play it live with my acoustic, but I have to hunch over my computer mic, so I can't project very well and the recordings end up very quiet. Meh. Do your worst, I know it's dire. And that's not fishing for compliments.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

calenlass

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • queefcicle!
what do you play?
« Reply #52 on: 03 Oct 2005, 15:01 »

sooo many people play guitar... you'd think it was some kind of fad or something!
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

Luke

what do you play?
« Reply #53 on: 03 Oct 2005, 15:19 »

Quote from: Switchblade
Piano (9)

I will rule you on the piano.

Well, not that I know how well you play or anything, of course. I've been playing for 11 years now. I used to play nothing much other than the classical stuff I did for my piano lessons, but in recent years I've graduated myself into simply rocking out. I can play most songs by Coldplay and John Legend (I have songbooks for their albums), and I often like to pick up tunes by ear. "Don't Stop Believing" by Journey is one of my favorites. Finally, I've recently started writing my own stuff (hence the "rocking out" comment).

I give myself a 9 on the piano as well, just because there are pianists in this world who are far too awesome than myself to allow me to give myself a 10.

MilkmanDan

what do you play?
« Reply #54 on: 03 Oct 2005, 16:07 »

StrikeThePostman

what do you play?
« Reply #55 on: 03 Oct 2005, 16:31 »

I've been playing piano for around 10 years, classical stuff mostly, but there are some other things I've been trying (Ben Folds Five, etc.) that I sing along with.  I actually enjoy classical a lot now that my teacher lets me pick my own music.  

I played clarinet for a few years, and I played the vibraphones, marimba, bells for around a year in good 'ole marching band (I never got good at any of 'em, though).  Tried the French horn but I'm no good with brass instruments.  I'd love to be able to play the cello and the accordion.  Also, I've had a guitar sitting in my room for two years now, but I doubt I could play a chord if you asked me to.

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
what do you play?
« Reply #56 on: 03 Oct 2005, 23:43 »

Quote from: KharBevNor
You just blow.

There was other stuff but that's been culled for space

Thanks for the link. Now I have something other than reading forums to do instead of studying. Seriously, I pull my harmonica out every exam break but can never bring myself to turn music off and learn.

It's a Hohner Blues Harp in C btw.
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • WTF was I thinking when I picked this name?
what do you play?
« Reply #57 on: 04 Oct 2005, 00:34 »

Quote from: Luke
I will rule you on the piano.

Well, not that I know how well you play or anything, of course. I've been playing for 11 years now. I used to play nothing much other than the classical stuff I did for my piano lessons, but in recent years I've graduated myself into simply rocking out. I can play most songs by Coldplay and John Legend (I have songbooks for their albums), and I often like to pick up tunes by ear. "Don't Stop Believing" by Journey is one of my favorites. Finally, I've recently started writing my own stuff (hence the "rocking out" comment).

I give myself a 9 on the piano as well, just because there are pianists in this world who are far too awesome than myself to allow me to give myself a 10.

Precisely my reasoning for giving myself a 9 as well, although I don't play a huge amount of Coldplay. I HAVE, however, written "Cruella De Vil improv jazz in G"

It also occurs to me that I'd LOVE to take up Clarinet. That has to be one of the most rockin' instruments ever.
ROCK MORE, ROLL MORE, LURK MOAR

dessa

what do you play?
« Reply #58 on: 04 Oct 2005, 02:45 »

Piano and bass guitar

KaosPilot

• Furry furrier
    • Confessions of a Creative Writer
what do you play?
« Reply #59 on: 04 Oct 2005, 03:44 »

I'm very much a beginner on the guitar. i know chords and i know how to play them on the guitar. that's it just now.

i also sing when the mood takes me, be it in the shower, at my girlfriend on the way to uni, doing the shopping etc.

Sh8k3zu1a

what do you play?
« Reply #60 on: 04 Oct 2005, 05:45 »

Quote from: sp2
But mostly, I just play with myself.

gross

I play a synthesizer. Its a Yamaha Tyros

Fucking Awesome

I use it with my pc and Adobe Audition to make some cool stuff. Not that good with Adobe Audition though :(

sp2

what do you play?
« Reply #61 on: 04 Oct 2005, 06:59 »

I consider it speed strumming training for when I pick up the guitar or banjo.

The rate I've been going recently, I'll be strumming faster than any guitarist, living or dead.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
what do you play?
« Reply #62 on: 04 Oct 2005, 08:38 »

Quote from: sp2
I consider it speed strumming training for when I pick up the guitar or banjo.

The rate I've been going recently, I'll be strumming faster than any guitarist, living or dead.

Strumming the beef curtain isn't as hard on the hands :-P

La Creme

what do you play?
« Reply #63 on: 04 Oct 2005, 09:23 »

It also occurs to me that I'd LOVE to take up Clarinet. That has to be one of the most rockin' instruments ever.

If you do this, we are totally starting a klez-metal band.

Also, I forgot to mension, I can get a bit of sound out of my brother's musical saw. He can play "Where is my Mind". On a fucking saw. He kicks your ass for that.

1patheticloser

what do you play?
« Reply #64 on: 04 Oct 2005, 09:38 »

Watch the movie Dummy with Adrien Brody and Milla Jovovich. She starts a punk klez band that plays at the end of the movie. Totally sweet.

Stifled Dreams

what do you play?
« Reply #65 on: 04 Oct 2005, 09:57 »

I am the best oboe player ever. Not kidding. I'll challenge anyone here to an oboe-duel.

Alright, so maybe I'm not the best player ever, but it is actually something that I'm pretty good at.

I also play some guitar, and I have very limited abilities in piano.

Quote from: La Creme
Also, I forgot to mension, I can get a bit of sound out of my brother's musical saw. He can play "Where is my Mind". On a fucking saw. He kicks your ass for that.

In elementary school, I remember that for a play one year some kids did The Wizard of Oz. One teacher played "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" on a saw. It was weird.

Merkava

what do you play?
« Reply #66 on: 04 Oct 2005, 13:39 »

I am a rather skilled percussionist. Aparently, I am a master of time-keeping. I don't have much practice with the drum set, but I can play the secondary percussion instruments and kick out nice snare beats. :P

I'm starting to learn guitar. So far I've been dicking around on my acoustic guitar that I found in my grandparents attic. I think I may need to take lessons in order to become really good. So far I only know a handful of chords, but I can improvise, like with most instruments.

I can improvise nice, pretty parts on a piano as well. It's another percussion instrument, but it is played much differently, as most know. I can't jam out and go jazzy on the thing, but I can create some nice, simple arrangements. I guess I'm a "most effect with least notes" kind of guy. :P

Oh, and did someone say that "emo" itself is a negatively-descriptive adjective? You need to listen to some Rites of Spring, Embrace, and Nation of Ulysses.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
what do you play?
« Reply #67 on: 04 Oct 2005, 13:56 »

Quote from: Merkava
I am a rather skilled percussionist. Aparently, I am a master of time-keeping. I don't have much practice with the drum set, but I can play the secondary percussion instruments and kick out nice snare beats. :P

Oh God, isn't it wonderful having natural rhythm? It's something that you just have or you don't and you can't teach to anyone, and it just makes you such a better musician...

StrikeThePostman

what do you play?
« Reply #68 on: 04 Oct 2005, 16:56 »

It also has one of the greatest ranges of possible sounds (not actual notes), which can make one song really interesting.

Damn, all this talk is making me think about picking it up again.  I was never all that good though.

Merkava

what do you play?
« Reply #69 on: 04 Oct 2005, 16:59 »

Quote from: DynamiteKid
Quote from: Merkava

Oh God, isn't it wonderful having natural rhythm? It's something that you just have or you don't and you can't teach to anyone, and it just makes you such a better musician...

I'm just really lucky, I guess.

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
what do you play?
« Reply #70 on: 04 Oct 2005, 17:55 »

I play classical and jazz trombone, concert and marching (Bass Clef) Baritone/Euphonium, I can figure my way arond a piano and trumpet, and I am trying to self-teach myself the guitar. I am also an alright tenor/baritone vocalist.

I want to learn every orchestral and jazz instrument, but I should probably be more realalistic.
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

Jarne

what do you play?
« Reply #71 on: 04 Oct 2005, 18:20 »

I'm learning bass. I've almost got Stars and Sons down.

La Creme

what do you play?
« Reply #72 on: 04 Oct 2005, 19:52 »

Quote from: 1patheticloser
Watch the movie Dummy with Adrien Brody and Milla Jovovich. She starts a punk klez band that plays at the end of the movie. Totally sweet.

This was mentioned to me when I made the Klezmetal thread oh so long ago.

Also, I can play my friend's toy accordian like a bitch. A COSMIC bitch. In the pants.

Luke

what do you play?
« Reply #73 on: 04 Oct 2005, 20:37 »

Quote from: DynamiteKid

Yes. I love it!

ObsoleteDonkey

what do you play?
« Reply #74 on: 04 Oct 2005, 21:03 »

Quote from: 1patheticloser

Yes! I love that movie.

I play the guitar, bass, drums, piano, zither, accordion, recorder, harmonica, ukulele, didgeridoo, rain stick, pan flute, AND MARACAS.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
what do you play?
« Reply #75 on: 05 Oct 2005, 09:14 »

Oh, man, don't even get me started making a list of the musical instruments I play.

On second thought, that's not such a bad idea. Makes it easier if you can read this shit off a list. I play the following noisemakers:

-Guitar (6 and 12 string electric and acoustic)
-Bass (4 and 5 string electric and acoustic)
-Drum kit (since 6th grade)
-Conga (yeah, that's right, latin-style music in high school jazz band owns your life)
-Mandolin
-Electric guitar w/ violin bow (Jimmy Page and Sigur Ros sytle, biatch)
-Singing (poorly, but at least I can hit the notes that Robert Plant hit back in the day)

For a sample of my work on the guitar, listen to the recordings on my band's myspace. http://www.myspace.com/obgynkenobi">OB/Gyn Kenobi, you're my only hope.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Reno

what do you play?
« Reply #76 on: 05 Oct 2005, 09:54 »

My best are the bass guitar and the trumpet, but I have a good grasp of the tuba, clarinet, flute and Alto sax.  

Am currently between bands, I have hooked up with an awesome guitarist, but our drummer flaked out.  

oh, yes, I also play the stereo.

Mad Onion

what do you play?
« Reply #77 on: 05 Oct 2005, 12:12 »

I play the SPOONS!! 10 out of 10!

ASturge

what do you play?
« Reply #78 on: 05 Oct 2005, 12:14 »

Quote from: KimJongSick
Oh, man, don't even get me started making a list of the musical instruments I play.

On second thought, that's not such a bad idea. Makes it easier if you can read this shit off a list. I play the following noisemakers:

-Drum kit (since 6th grade)
-Conga (yeah, that's right, latin-style music in high school jazz band owns your life)
-Mandolin
-Electric guitar w/ violin bow (Jimmy Page and Sigur Ros sytle, biatch)
-Singing (poorly, but at least I can hit the notes that Robert Plant hit back in the day)

For a sample of my work on the guitar, listen to the recordings on my band's myspace. http://www.myspace.com/obgynkenobi">OB/Gyn Kenobi, you're my only hope.

We love false modesty here, we do.

SpacemanSpiff

what do you play?
« Reply #79 on: 05 Oct 2005, 13:53 »

Okay, I looked at your Myspace site. Under influences, you mentioned BAP, which I figure is the band from Cologne.
That is rather interesting, I didn't think anyone outside of Germany would know them. Even if you live in Luxembourg, it's not that likely.
Care to elaborate?

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
what do you play?
« Reply #80 on: 05 Oct 2005, 15:23 »

Quote from: SpacemanSpiff

Okay, I looked at your Myspace site. Under influences, you mentioned BAP, which I figure is the band from Cologne.
That is rather interesting, I didn't think anyone outside of Germany would know them. Even if you live in Luxembourg, it's not that likely.
Care to elaborate?

Spaceman Spiff?

Are you near the planet Zog passing an asteroid?

...do you have very high insurance premiums?

SpacemanSpiff

what do you play?
« Reply #81 on: 05 Oct 2005, 15:49 »

Yes, I do. Insurances are awfully expensive if you're an interplanetary explorer extraordinaire who is free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe, like me.

As of now, I've just managed to avoid getting zarched by Zorchers thanks to my trusty Turbo Hyper Thrust-Drive and I'm currently leaving the orbit of planet Z-12.

Sh8k3zu1a

what do you play?
« Reply #82 on: 05 Oct 2005, 20:08 »

Awesome name Spaceman Spiff. Calvin and Hobbes rules.  I am gonna buy a kit and learn to play a themerin.

dracotuni

what do you play?
« Reply #83 on: 05 Oct 2005, 20:30 »

does anyone know of a site that can teach me how to play a 7-hole ocrina? (no it's not the same kind of ocrina from the zelda game [that's only four holes])

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
what do you play?
« Reply #84 on: 06 Oct 2005, 15:48 »

Show off much? It's pretty much a given that you can play electric and acoustic it. A 5 string bass takes very little extra effort, and 12 strings pretty much just take extra tuning.

Awesome name Spaceman Spiff. Calvin and Hobbes rules. I am gonna buy a kit and learn to play a themerin.

THEREMIN.

Decemberling

what do you play?
« Reply #85 on: 06 Oct 2005, 19:39 »

Main - Trumpet (I'm pretty good. Can usually get out double g's with a good tone for those of you who know what that is. Brass Pride.)
Secondary - French Horn, Alto Sax

Reno

what do you play?
« Reply #86 on: 06 Oct 2005, 20:00 »

Quote from: Decemberling
Main - Trumpet (I'm pretty good. Can usually get out double g's with a good tone for those of you who know what that is. Brass Pride.)

........I wish I were that good

Borondir

• Furry furrier
    • My Last.Fm
what do you play?
« Reply #87 on: 06 Oct 2005, 20:15 »

Quote from: noise_wave
A voice can be considered an instrument, I think. Though I cannot claim that my voice is any instrument as I cannot sing very well.
Yes, classical vocalists like to think of their voice as an instrument, both the easiest and hardest instrument to play. Like someone said, sure anyone can sing, but its incredibly difficult to gain full control of you voice. Operatic singers, who are unquestionably the best vocalists in the world, don't even begin to master their voices until their late 30s.

That being said, I'm a fairly good bass, on a good day I can hit a nice low C, which would make me a basso profundo. ;) I'm singing in my college's top chorale, out of the 3 total choirs.  I also am actively engaged in lessons. Music is a big deal here at Valpo, my conductor directs a Bach Institute.

Other than that, I play decent metal rhythm guitar, passable acoustic, and novice classical guitar.  I can do fairly well on bass too. And I had enough piano lessons that I can play basic chords and plunk out my vocal line.

Luke

what do you play?
« Reply #88 on: 06 Oct 2005, 21:10 »

A D-flat is typically the bottom of my range, but I've been known to go down to a B-flat while sick. The top of my chest-voice range is an F-sharp, or a G on a good day, but I've hit an A-flat before too. If I switch to my head voice (not falsetto, mind you), I can go almost 2 octaves higher to an E or an F. I've never tested the top of my falsetto range, mostly because it sounds awful.

So yeah, I can do anything a typical bass, tenor or alto could sing. I can sing soprano too, but it doesn't sound good at all.

soak

what do you play?
« Reply #89 on: 06 Oct 2005, 21:14 »

So yeah, I can do anything a typical bass, tenor or alto could sing. I can sing soprano too, but it doesn't sound good at all.

Ooh, ahh!

Is there anything you can't do?

Maui

what do you play?
« Reply #90 on: 06 Oct 2005, 21:22 »

Be short!

Grumpus

what do you play?
« Reply #91 on: 06 Oct 2005, 21:54 »

Quote from: practicality
I can play a piano... only boring, classical stuff, though.

Right let's get one think straight. Classical music is not boring, I mean it can be but so can rock. Classical music can be awsome on the piano. Now I'm not going to pretend I actualy buy many classical CD's (or now that I think about it any, but I'm poor) and yes most of the music I listen to is Rock/Pop but still I think classical music is given an unfair image.

Anyway I play piano with Okay skills. I want to buy an electric piano so that I can just mess with it in my room and try and rock out.

soak

what do you play?
« Reply #92 on: 06 Oct 2005, 21:56 »

Screw electric piano, get an organ!

Grumpus

what do you play?
« Reply #93 on: 06 Oct 2005, 21:57 »

You point me to a cheap one and then hell yea!

soak

what do you play?
« Reply #94 on: 06 Oct 2005, 21:59 »

point taken

Grumpus

what do you play?
« Reply #95 on: 06 Oct 2005, 22:06 »

Thankyou. Also I can plug headphones into an electric so as not to disturbe others with my bitchen' tunes.

dessa

what do you play?
« Reply #96 on: 06 Oct 2005, 23:59 »

in my imagination i play a steampowered bass guitar...
bassists in bands should actually start playing compared to just providing the lower end for the guitar.

andyscout42

what do you play?
« Reply #97 on: 07 Oct 2005, 09:12 »

lesse, i can play the trumpet (and bugle). i took a few lessons on an acoustic guitar a while back, but i've forgotten most of it. and i know the very basics of the piano.

but i can truly rock on the air guitar!

normz

what do you play?
« Reply #98 on: 07 Oct 2005, 09:23 »

I'm a noisy, musical and i'd like to think melodic chikadee! my first love has always been for vocals but i also have a background in piano and i have been known to sit at a drum kit (my mate and i have an infamous ritual of 3am drunken drum lessons) and have a go or pick up a guitar/sax so yeah I usually give any musical instrument a go cause once you know a bit of musical theory its pretty easy to try anything and everything!

Unosuke

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
what do you play?
« Reply #99 on: 07 Oct 2005, 09:41 »

I tried guitar, didn't work out so well, tried bass, and I think I got better at bass than I ever was at guitar (either that or bass is just easier than I thought)....but then I quit practicing and its been a few years since I actually played. I always tell myself "I should pick my bass back up" but I never do......*le sigh*
Jeph: I think I like drunken baking. It has a sense of danger that you just don't get when you're sober.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up