THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 24 Apr 2024, 16:52
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: joke process  (Read 17346 times)

Nettle

• Larger than most fish
joke process
« on: 27 Sep 2005, 01:07 »

So, what's your personal process in being whacky?
www.notebookinhand.com -Forum for creative people.

www.maidmarianandhermerrymen.co.uk - Remember Maid Marian And Her Merry Men? Join the fanforum!
http://fluffybricks.blogspot.com You might not believe your eyes!

Primate

joke process
« Reply #1 on: 27 Sep 2005, 05:27 »

Sit down.

If a odd bit has occured to me between sitting down periods, the note I scribbled it on is taken out and its contents transfered to a page.

If no odd bits exist, scribble down current events that need commented on or characters that I haven't done anything with for a while. Pick one that seems likely to produce something.

Come up with a bit of conversation or action for the topic/character. It can be the begining, middle, or the end.

Fill out the conversation so that the beginning gives the reader some idea was the strip will be about, the middle moves the action forward or contributes some interesting thoughts or pauses for comedic tension, and the end gives a twist that makes fireworks explode in the readers head or at least brings a small smile.

Flesh out the images for the joke.

Tweep

joke process
« Reply #2 on: 27 Sep 2005, 08:10 »

Socky

• Emoticontraindication
joke process
« Reply #3 on: 28 Sep 2005, 16:05 »

I start with the laugh and work backwards.

Neskah

• Balloon animal serial killer
joke process
« Reply #4 on: 29 Sep 2005, 01:56 »

I don't have a process, which is probably why i fail =oP
One of the most basic rules for survival is never upset someone wearing Black Leather - This is why PETA never throws paint on Hells Angels.

fenmere

joke process
« Reply #5 on: 06 Oct 2005, 09:27 »

I've found that writing gags is very similar to telling jokes to a croud.

Mine usually are variations on other people's gags.  A "that would be funnier if..." kind of thing.  But also some of my gags are more along the lines of "don't you hate this?"  So my inspirations come from a few different sources:

1.  Commercials
2.  Conversations with friends
3.  Things in daily life that I find frustrating

It really helps that I think my own hang-ups are funny.  So when I get frustrated with people who cut me off on the freeway, for instance, when I do a gag about it, the joke is more about how uniquely badly I handle the situation.

Most of my comic is an injoke, though.  So, that method can be problematic.

AsthmaBoy77

joke process
« Reply #6 on: 06 Oct 2005, 09:32 »

I have a writer. I wait for the "script," then draw the requisite pictures.

Just ignore that most of our strips are transcribed from our typical conversations. Kevin would feel cheap if I let it out that he's not the sole writer of Asthma is Sexy.
Pages: [1]   Go Up