THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 20 Apr 2024, 08:27
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I caught AiH live last night  (Read 5221 times)

will: wanton sex god

• Cthulhu f'tagn
I caught AiH live last night
« on: 08 Oct 2005, 14:35 »

Good good good stuff.
The opening band, Exit Clov definitely stole the show though.

but seriously, go check out AiH or exit clov live.

i wont say anything about dr dog... my mother taught me better.

if anyone's interested exit clov's site is www.exitclov.com

if there are any questions about the show i will do my best to answer

Um, they only played about 4 songs off of finger's crossed, maybe 6-8 off the new album.  came for a 2 song encore.  um.  they dance awesomely on stage... they dont sound like the recordings much at all.  like the instrumental stuff does but the vocals are way different.  its a good thing though.  check em out!

Cpt.Fantastic

« Reply #1 on: 08 Oct 2005, 14:53 »

If they didn't play One Heavy February I may be forced to kill you.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #2 on: 08 Oct 2005, 15:23 »

Did Cameron Bird seem to think that he was in some kind of hardcore or punk band, while all the other band members were playing pop?  When I saw them he had a really intense stage presence (which worked really well for some songs, but at other times was a little uncomfortable to watch).

EDIT: Also, did you develope a crush on Kellie Sutherland after seeing A.I.H. live?  'Cause I sure did!

ASturge

« Reply #3 on: 08 Oct 2005, 16:27 »

Cpt.Fantastic wins the award for most stupid comment...

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #4 on: 08 Oct 2005, 18:27 »

cpt fantastic: no they didnt play it and its definitely all my fault.

inlander: i thought it was a great change to their sound.  ii didnt want to hear every song just as i do on the album.  but yah, it was certainly different.  i wouldnt say its anything like hardcore though.  no on the crush, though she was super awesome, my crush is on tara.  thing with tara was that  everyone else was all smiles, running about picking up instruments, dancing, laughing, but she seemed kinda :(

she was noticably grabbing her thumb in pain, maybe that was it.

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #5 on: 08 Oct 2005, 18:37 »

Yeah, it's not so much that he seems to be singing in a punk/hardcore style, it's just that he's so intense and taking it all so seriously.  But it works brilliantly for some songs: when I saw them play a couple of months ago the first song they played was What's In Store?, which just came roaring out of the blocks.  It was awesome.

And I'm with you, there's nothing more disappointing than when you spend money on a gig and the band just re-treads the recording note-for-note.

AwesomeAaron

« Reply #6 on: 08 Oct 2005, 19:24 »

I wish I could see AiH. I live in shit town tho. I would give my pinky fingers just to see something good. I love australia stuff like steve Irwin(getting eaaten), the instruments in AiH, that preganant chick in lost, Finding Nemo. I sorry fo my stupid comments

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #7 on: 08 Oct 2005, 19:51 »

Incidentally, does anybody else's copy of In Case We Die do a funny little skip at 2:02 in "Do the Whirlwind"?  I'm wondering whether it's a deliberate (very strange) part of the song, or whether it's a problem with the particular C.D. batch that mine came from.  I know it's not a problem specifically with my one C.D., because the original copy of the album I bought had the same glitch so I took it back to the shop and got it replaced, thinking it was a fault with the C.D.

JLM

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
Re: I caught AiH live last night
« Reply #8 on: 08 Oct 2005, 21:26 »

Quote from: will: wanton sex god
Good good good stuff.
The opening band, Exit Clov definitely stole the show though.

but seriously, go check out AiH or exit clov live.

i wont say anything about dr dog... my mother taught me better.

if anyone's interested exit clov's site is www.exitclov.com

I take it you saw them in Washington, D.C. at the Black Cat then.  I generally tried to avoid shows at the Black Cat but I might have made an exception for AiH.

I managed to catch the AiH show in June at DC9 right before we moved out to the west coast.  I'm pretty sure they played "One Heavy February" at that show, but I'm glad they're switching it up.

Exit Clov is decent.  I think that at times they sort of wander in weird directions, which may or may not be a result of the differing musical opinions/tastes of some of the members, but overall they put out some quality stuff.

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #9 on: 09 Oct 2005, 10:26 »

JLM why do you dislike Black Cat? its probalby the best venue i can think of. i  mean 930 has some okay shows sometimes...so does warehouse...but O_o

JLM

« Reply #10 on: 09 Oct 2005, 10:38 »

I don't like the floor in the mainstage area, for one thing.  It's not hard wood and if I'm standing on it for more than two hours it starts to bother my shins/arches.  Sound Quality is another.  At the 9:30 (probably the best venue in D.C. in my opinion) I could be standing almost anywhere in the club and still get practically the same level of music, with limited background conversation filtering in.  At the Black Cat, not so much.  During the mum show, because of how quiet some of the instrumentation is there were a number of points during the show where I was hearing more people talking than I should have.  And during a recent Ambulance show I kept getting bits of sorority girl giddiness from across the room, particularly during "Michigan" and "The Ocean."

If the choice came down to it, since their schedules are almost identical, I'd probably just trek the 30 miles to Baltimore to catch someone who's playing the Black Cat at their show at The Ottobar.

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #11 on: 09 Oct 2005, 10:46 »

ottobar isnt a bad venue,they just play music im usually not completley in to.  i agree witht he pain all over that is black cat though. i think 930 is okay but they a) dont have as many shows id like to go to and b) i thinkt he atmosphere is al ot different.

Kid Modernist

« Reply #12 on: 09 Oct 2005, 11:12 »

Who the hell is AiH?

zmeiat_joro

« Reply #13 on: 09 Oct 2005, 11:39 »

Quote from: Inlander
Incidentally, does anybody else's copy of In Case We Die do a funny little skip at 2:02 in "Do the Whirlwind"?  I'm wondering whether it's a deliberate (very strange) part of the song, or whether it's a problem with the particular C.D. batch that mine came from.  I know it's not a problem specifically with my one C.D., because the original copy of the album I bought had the same glitch so I took it back to the shop and got it replaced, thinking it was a fault with the C.D.

You can hear it in the video at their site, so it must be deliberate.
I, for one, welcome the fragmentation of deeper levels of shared reality.

redstar

« Reply #14 on: 09 Oct 2005, 14:04 »

Quote from: Kid Modernist
Who the hell is AiH?

I'm guessing architecture in helsinki based on the song names i've seen in this thread.

Kid Modernist

« Reply #15 on: 09 Oct 2005, 14:19 »

Ah, there we go. I've never listened to them but a few songs so I didn't recognize it by song titles.

The rule of thumb is to use it normally once then contract it peeps! :)

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #16 on: 09 Oct 2005, 15:15 »

But then everybody would know who we're talking about and we wouldn't get to feel smugly superior!

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #17 on: 09 Oct 2005, 17:23 »

Quote from: Kid Modernist
Ah, there we go. I've never listened to them but a few songs so I didn't recognize it by song titles.

The rule of thumb is to use it normally once then contract it peeps! :)

pshh, maybe in real writing!

salada

• Curry sauce
« Reply #18 on: 09 Oct 2005, 17:29 »

man, all the hype around aih does my head in.

i mean, they used to be some cool little weird band from melbourne who would come up to sydney for a gig sometimes and they'd play at the annandale for ten bucks or maybe do a gig at manning bar for free around the start of semester and them or their mates would man the merchandise stall and they'd get interviews in obscure street press.

now they're all international 'n pitchfork 'n shit. not that any of this is a bad thing (except for perhaps the fact that they're all touring overseas all the time, so less time for me to see them), it just kinda does my head in.

yeah.

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #19 on: 10 Oct 2005, 00:57 »

^their show was 10 dolllars, manned by the band, and was approachable after their set.
Pages: [1]   Go Up