THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 06:44
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: I Like Fish!  (Read 21978 times)

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
I Like Fish!
« on: 12 Oct 2005, 12:34 »

First off this new section name and marine animals thread made me hungry!

Fish and other animals from the waters of our planet are quite scrumptious.  Honestly I don't think I have any specific favourite kinds or receipes other then I actually like it cooked or uncooked in a way that I can still the taste the "fishyness."

I'd suggest Halibut to those that don't care for the "fishy" taste as it's least strongest but as a bottom feeder it has potential I've heard to pick up more mercury.  Various types of sharks are quite tasty in a different sort of way as well, though I almost never eat it (only have a couple of times!)

I'm curious about mahi mahi.  Any opinions from anyone that has had it?

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
I Like Fish!
« Reply #1 on: 12 Oct 2005, 13:00 »

I love seafood.  My mom used to fry flounders I would catch in the Sound.  My sister though; like, we would go to this awesome lobster place for dinner, and she would order steak.  WTF?!

tania

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • famed sex columnist
I Like Fish!
« Reply #2 on: 12 Oct 2005, 13:02 »

I hate fish. Does that mean I'm not allowed to post here?
Maybe I should fake it.

AHAHAHHAHAA I'M JUST KIDDING.
I LOVE FISH.
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
I Like Fish!
« Reply #3 on: 12 Oct 2005, 13:12 »

I like fish but really only if it is caught by somebody else and already dead and prepared for me,  I really love sushi

Digs

I Like Fish!
« Reply #4 on: 12 Oct 2005, 13:13 »

I hardly ever eat fish. Mostly every place around here is hocking "grouper", which I guess is some kind of fish that doesn't sound terribly delicious to me. I hear shark is delicious, but also expensive. They take the fin and make a soup, is that right? Can somebody describe shark in terms of the five flavours?

Maybe there should be a food forum or a recipe thread or something.

Maui

I Like Fish!
« Reply #5 on: 12 Oct 2005, 13:13 »

Sushi is ok i spose. I like the kind with no fish in it best though haha. I lovvveeee crab legs, shrimp and lobster too. SOOO GOOD!!!! Seriously, I Like Fish.

LiterSize

• Curry sauce
I Like Fish!
« Reply #6 on: 12 Oct 2005, 13:16 »

Oh man, I could live all day on sushi and mashed potatoes.  (they're two of my fave foods).  Tuna, dragon, california, any other kind of weird name for bastardized sushi is ok in my book.  Maki, or mmmmmmmmmmaki?

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
I Like Fish!
« Reply #7 on: 12 Oct 2005, 13:22 »

Quote from: Digs
Maybe there should be a food forum

What a delectable idea!  Incidentally, I think you're supposed to spell it like the bird, not like, well, me.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
I Like Fish!
« Reply #8 on: 12 Oct 2005, 13:31 »

Smoked salmon is amazingly good. Hell, fish in itself is good.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • WTF was I thinking when I picked this name?
I Like Fish!
« Reply #9 on: 12 Oct 2005, 13:55 »

I think I prefer to catch fish than eat them, but yeah. fish meat is for yes.
ROCK MORE, ROLL MORE, LURK MOAR

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
I Like Fish!
« Reply #10 on: 12 Oct 2005, 14:01 »

Grouper is one of those fish I'd not like to remember the apperance of while I was eating it.  Shark is delicious and indeed pretty expensive.  The fin is used in soup, though a quick google shows the first few pages that show up are mostly against people doing this.  This receipe sounds tasty but sans MSG.

I'm also curious as to fishhead soup, though kind of disapointingly I've heard that after cooking the meat out of the head it is removed from the soup.

Joe:  Is seafood a large part of Korean food?  (I've been curious about Korean food).  Also as much as I like seafood I don't care for crab and lobster all that much.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
I Like Fish!
« Reply #11 on: 12 Oct 2005, 14:07 »

Seafood is eaten pretty widely, although not as much as other nearby countries (ie. more than here, less than Japan.)  And of course it varies by area; in Pusan, on the southern tip, fish with rice is pretty much all anybody ever eats.

My favorite Korean seafood dish is a rice porridge made with abolone called jumbok jook.  It's a pretty malleable dish; another popular variant is hobak jook, which uses pumpkin instead of abolone.

Digs

I Like Fish!
« Reply #12 on: 12 Oct 2005, 14:08 »

I imagine it must be that way. Good food comes from people cherishing whatever ingredient they have to work with and drawring out its potential. Look at, like, cajun food.

kikanjuuneko

I Like Fish!
« Reply #13 on: 12 Oct 2005, 14:13 »

You know, I must be the only person who is more or less indifferent to fish. Okay, in sushi, I love it. In "western" food, however, I could live with or without. Other seafood, I loathe with all my heart. I mean, some of the most disgusting creatures on Earth live in the sea, dammit. And we eat some of them.

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
I Like Fish!
« Reply #14 on: 12 Oct 2005, 14:16 »

I've been really curious and wanting to try abolone ever since I've had limpets.  I imagine they're similar.

That's a good point about what people working with what they have.  The tribe I'm a member of has a plethora of songs just about salmon.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
I Like Fish!
« Reply #15 on: 12 Oct 2005, 14:16 »

I can't bring myself to even try sushi. The one time I've been offered it I couldn't get past the smell. It might have been off of course. Does it go off?

I like battered cod, personally. Drizzled with a bit of lemon, and accompanied with chips. Pub style, unless it's a really good chippy. Hmmm hmm. Also, scampi, and prawns, although I am not allowed to eat those when we go out as a family, because my sister is a vegetarian and she gets kinda sick when I pull their little heads off.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Duchess Tapioca

• Larger than most fish
    • Somebody wrote something about me on the internet!
I Like Fish!
« Reply #16 on: 12 Oct 2005, 14:20 »

I like fish, but not to eat!

Seriously at the market, they had so many fish, and they all looked so sad, probably brcause they were dead and not eaten yet. I don't think I would be happy either, but the severed pig heads were all smiling and they didn't even know which foot was theirs, and their rumps were vastly underpriced. So maybe those fish just need to suck it up.

Luke

I Like Fish!
« Reply #17 on: 12 Oct 2005, 14:24 »

"Sushi? Where I'm from, they call this bait!"

I always hated those commercials. Anyway, I'm a pretty big fan of fish. Flounder is a winner with me, but even those processed tenderloins from Gorton's are worth eating too.

And with ranch dressing. Mmm.

Gryff

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Summary sense... tingling!
I Like Fish!
« Reply #18 on: 12 Oct 2005, 14:28 »

You are missing out if you don't try sushi. It doesn't have a bad odour in my experience, so you may have just been offered sub-par, or even off, sushi.

Try it, you'll love it!

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
I Like Fish!
« Reply #19 on: 12 Oct 2005, 14:32 »

Does it come with chips?

I am distrustful of foodstuffs that cannot be served accompanied by some form of potato.
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
I Like Fish!
« Reply #20 on: 12 Oct 2005, 14:34 »

Quote from: KharBevNor
I can't bring myself to even try sushi. The one time I've been offered it I couldn't get past the smell. It might have been off of course. Does it go off?

Yeah, there shouldn't be any smell.

That's the rule of thumb with seafood: if the fish smells, it has gone bad.  There are exceptions of course, but in general the characteritic "fishy" smell is characteristic of rotting fish.

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
I Like Fish!
« Reply #21 on: 12 Oct 2005, 14:45 »

I like battered cod, personally. Drizzled with a bit of lemon, and accompanied with chips. Pub style, unless it's a really good chippy. Hmmm hmm.

Drat, that sounds really good, though I tend to go heavy on the malted vinegar.

That's sort of a good rule of thumb for most food but not in all cases.

Gryff

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Summary sense... tingling!
I Like Fish!
« Reply #22 on: 12 Oct 2005, 14:47 »

Does it come with chips?

Well, I guess there's no reason why it couldn't

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
I Like Fish!
« Reply #23 on: 12 Oct 2005, 14:52 »

Sushi with chips?  I bet you also put sugar in green tea.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
I Like Fish!
« Reply #24 on: 12 Oct 2005, 14:57 »

Nope.

I don't drink green tea. I drink black tea with milk and sugar. When I drink tea. Which is not often. Though I could really do with some tea right now, I may make a pot.

I do drink Jasmine tea sometimes actually...I suppose that counts as green tea?

kikanjuuneko

I Like Fish!
« Reply #25 on: 12 Oct 2005, 15:01 »

Man, now you buggers made me think of fish and chips. Mmm... fish and chips...

Tinjessla

I Like Fish!
« Reply #26 on: 12 Oct 2005, 15:10 »

Ooooooh yess....fish and bloody chips! Drowning in salt and vinegar please.

Hmmm...I'm not much of a seafood connoisseur but i absolutely adore squid. I also really want to try lobster but i don't think i could ever afford.

meganjo23

• Plantmonster
I Like Fish!
« Reply #27 on: 12 Oct 2005, 15:23 »

To join in a little late on the fresh fish thing, fresh fish should not smell like fish. Also, if you are buying the fish whole, it should have clear eyes, have firm skin that springs back when you touch it, the scales shouldn't come off when you rib the fish the wrong way, and the gills shoud be pink or red. In my food prep class, when we had 3 fresh salmon, I tried to smell them to see what a fresh fish should smell like, it smells kind of oceany, I think. (This is why I LOVE being a Culinary Arts student. I feel so smart in conversations like this!)

Also, fun thing to do with fish...
Take one salmon fillet. I suppose that you could use any other kind of fish if you arn't a huge salmon fan. Take one sheet of parchment paper, fold in half, cut into half heart shape. Unfold, now you have a heart. How pretty. Anyways, smother one side of the paper with melted butter. This is so the paper doesn't light on fire in the over. Place salmon on one side of the heart. Place spices and herbs etc with the fish (For the record, putting a bay leaf under the salmon, putting rosemary and also some really thin, peeled lemon slices on the fish tastes GREAT). Fold heart in half agian, with the fish still inside. Fold over the edges to that during cooking, it will not open. This is important, because the fish will basically be steaming in there, and the paper will look like a balloon when you're done cooking it. Butter the outside of the heart, agian, if you dont, you will have a fire. You place the half heart in the oven, on a pan. Cook until done, I forget exactly how long, but when you think it should be done, cut a whole in the paper, and if the fish flakes easily (not falling apart, just easily flaked) its done. Yummy. Plus, when you open the heart, it smells awsome.

Another great thing about being in Culinary Arts is that we get to eat our food. Yum.
-Hey, what time is it?
-It's shirtless o'clock!

http://www.myspace.com/staticlove23

tania

• famed sex columnist
I Like Fish!
« Reply #28 on: 12 Oct 2005, 15:43 »

It's all about the chamomile tea.

calenlass

• queefcicle!
I Like Fish!
« Reply #29 on: 12 Oct 2005, 16:36 »

I had some excellent tea recently. I think it was called Chocolate Caramel Chai (weird, I know).

Hey, Khar (and all subsequent people who posted "mmm fish and chips!"), we would be really screwed if Colón hadn't brought the potato back from the Americas, wouldn't we?...

Prawns are my favourite. I am quite fond of prawns with rice and jasmine tea. Eaten with chopsticks, of course.

Also, don't ever go to China and order turtle soup. You will be slightly unnerved to find a bowl of something resembling wanton soup accompanied by a whole, cooked, shelled turtle carcass floating in it. It's a delicacy, if I remember correctly...
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
I Like Fish!
« Reply #30 on: 12 Oct 2005, 16:43 »

Yum to everything but the turtle soup.  Well, maybe not but I don't know, did you try it?

tania

• famed sex columnist
I Like Fish!
« Reply #31 on: 12 Oct 2005, 16:48 »

Appantly turtle meat is actually really delicious. I've never tried it.

I can see how that soup would be unappetizing, though. Nothing says guilt trip like "NOT ONLY DID WE KILL A TURTLE BUT WE LEFT THE BODY IN TACT SO YOU KNOW IT WAS TOTALLY ALIVE AND KICKING ONCE LOL"

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
I Like Fish!
« Reply #32 on: 12 Oct 2005, 16:58 »

Eh, I've eaten worse.  Like the camping trip where we brought live chickens for dinner.  Or, to relate to the topic (and to the question about Korean seafood,) I've eaten fresh octopus where I picked the thing out of a tank, the guy threw it onto my plate and chopped it up right in front of me, and then pieces were still wriggling as they went down my throat.  Mmm!

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
I Like Fish!
« Reply #33 on: 12 Oct 2005, 17:07 »

Quote from: Digs
Maybe there should be a food forum or a recipe thread or something.

I started a recipe exchange thread last week or the week before in "Don't Be Stupid".  I thought it was a good idea and I was really hoping it would take off, but it didn't.  But if somebody would like to try again that would be just dandy!

EDIT: Also, when I was in Sweden I saw the salmon swimming up river, doing the whole jumping-up-rapids bit and everything.  Inspired,the next day I went out and bought some gravlax.  Does this make me a bad person?  Or just a person who likes to eat salmon?

bainidhe_dub

• Scrabble hacker
    • tumblr
I Like Fish!
« Reply #34 on: 12 Oct 2005, 17:08 »

my cousin is road tripping/writing a book in a blog. her last entry is from kentucky, where a guy found out she'd never had turtle soup.

Quote from: Jessica
"Y’e’er had turtle? Oh, mayn! A turtle’s got ‘bout se’en differn’t flavors on it! Dependin’ on what part ya eat, ya got chicken, fish, steak, porkchop, bacon, an’ burger!"
"Joe, that’s only six."
"Ah know! The other’s flavor’s the turtle!"

He gave me a verbal crash course on how to make the soup. "Ya get ya a turtle, cut the head off an’ stick a garden hose in the throat, raht? Then ya fill it wit’ water and wait for it ta’ bust out the shell! Or ya could just cut the belly an’ do it that way, but the hose way is more fun!"
"You know, I really don’t need to know how to make it." I said. "I’m not much of a cook."
"Ya shore?"
"Positive."
I am lurking so hard right now. You have no idea.

jarofflies

I Like Fish!
« Reply #35 on: 12 Oct 2005, 17:39 »

Quote from: kikanjuuneko
You know, I must be the only person who is more or less indifferent to fish. Okay, in sushi, I love it. In "western" food, however, I could live with or without. Other seafood, I loathe with all my heart. I mean, some of the most disgusting creatures on Earth live in the sea, dammit. And we eat some of them.

I agree. Boo to the fish! Except dolphins, pass me the sweet center of the brain!</futurama>

La Creme

I Like Fish!
« Reply #36 on: 12 Oct 2005, 19:08 »

Does it come with chips?

I am distrustful of foodstuffs that cannot be served accompanied by some form of potato.

Holy crap, that is what I've been thinking all these years and I did not even know it! Revelations!

The other day, I had some sushi from Wild Oats (Trader Joes rip-off) and it was maybe the worst thing ever. It was made with stale brown rice, and spice tuna that was basically the tuna, a glob of mayonaise, and some chili powder sprinkled on it. Also, it had avacodo on it. The rules are no avacodo on sushi and no California rolls ever at all. Seriously, more sushi needs to be traditional. Americanized sushi is teh suxxorz. Usually.

Speaking of traditional sushi, if you are ever in LA, go to Echigo. It is the best sushi you will ever dine upon.

TheLoweringTide

I Like Fish!
« Reply #37 on: 12 Oct 2005, 21:08 »

For the record, sushi doesn't have to contain any fish, raw or otherwise.  Sushi is defined by the variety/preparation of rice.

I'm a fan of most types of seafood.  Salmon, tuna and tilapia are usually pretty good as far as fish goes.  There's a Vietnamese restaurant here that used to prepare "halibut in clay pot" that was sooooooo good, but now they only make it with catfish, which I find too slimey/boney for my taste.

Coolhanderik

I Like Fish!
« Reply #38 on: 12 Oct 2005, 21:15 »

hmm, I don't particularly dig fish that tastes fishy, but I like alot of fish stuff I suppose, lets see, crab legs are yummy, lobster is yummy, shrimp is good, some sushi is definately tasty, eel sushi, mmmm eelalicious

jarofflies

I Like Fish!
« Reply #39 on: 12 Oct 2005, 21:18 »

Shrimp is AWESOME, but my school managed to mess it up today...they made breaded shrimp when they said it would be popcorn, so most of the shrimp was falling out of its breading, making it look pretty unappetizing. To make it worse, the shrimp itself tasted like tap water.

calenlass

• queefcicle!
I Like Fish!
« Reply #40 on: 12 Oct 2005, 21:48 »

Also oysters, mussels, and other organisms found in the phylum mollusca.

Quote from: Coolhanderik
crab legs

Sweet leaping Jesus! I can't believe I left those out! I am a really really way big fan of crab meat mixed with garlic and lemon. *shudder*

Lobster ist auch sehr gut, but crab is better.

Insert stoopid crabs joke here STDS HURR HURR HURR
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
I Like Fish!
« Reply #41 on: 12 Oct 2005, 21:57 »

Nope.

I don't drink green tea. I drink black tea with milk and sugar. When I drink tea. Which is not often. Though I could really do with some tea right now, I may make a pot.

I do drink Jasmine tea sometimes actually...I suppose that counts as green tea?

I work in a coffee/tea shop, and all the jasmine-scented teas we carry are green. I suppose you could scent a black tea with jasmine, but I'm not sure it would taste very good.

I'm not a big tea guy (I'm definitely more into coffee), but my favorite type is actually Oolong tea, which is basically a tea that is stopped halfway between the process of making it a black tea from a green tea.

I'm pretty sure that you can't find those everywhere though.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

kikanjuuneko

I Like Fish!
« Reply #42 on: 13 Oct 2005, 01:29 »

I realize that the worst part is that despite my previous statement, there is some fish that I really do like. Such as tuna. Tuna on everything! Mmm... tuna...

tha_nut

I Like Fish!
« Reply #43 on: 13 Oct 2005, 01:46 »

Look, Blue swimmer crabs are the best and nothing will top that (excludiing prawns (not shrimps....) and SA lobster (too expensive and cant catch them off my jetty).  Especially when you catch them and then boil them up the next day for a feast.

MMM

Lalaladida

• Not quite a lurker
I Like Fish!
« Reply #44 on: 13 Oct 2005, 02:12 »

I love me some Alaskan king crab, but it's too expensive for me most of the time.

I like almost all fish, as long as it isn't battered.

And lox is very very good.

Catfish_Man

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
    • Assorted Stuff
I Like Fish!
« Reply #45 on: 13 Oct 2005, 02:34 »

Yay, the forum likes me :)

(although possibly I should be disturbed by the idea of the forum becoming sentient...)

Se7en

I Like Fish!
« Reply #46 on: 13 Oct 2005, 02:37 »

Storm rider: oolong tea isnt that rare. Its easy enough to get here, but i suppose us brits like a cuppa more than most. Im never certain if i should put a drop of milk in or not though... milk with green tea wouldnt be right, but black tea without milk isnt right iether.

Im partial to a bit of fish, as long as its not cooked by my dad. He doesnt so much cook as murder food. I LOVE proper chip shop cod, or even better, haddock. The one thing i cant stand is batter without breadcrumbs in it. Its just wrong, but poncy southern chip shops do it all the time.

I ate some strange marine life on my last trip up to scotland. Did you know that lobsters sometimes get caviar caught up in their tails as they swim? When you pull them out of the pots, you can peel thier tail back, and eat FRESH caviar straight off the lobster. Its lovely and sweet, with a touch of salt from the seawater.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
I Like Fish!
« Reply #47 on: 13 Oct 2005, 04:03 »

Batter with breadcrumbs?

I knew you were all bally insane up north!

Se7en

I Like Fish!
« Reply #48 on: 13 Oct 2005, 04:10 »

Yer just soft :P The breadcrumbs make the batter nice and crispy, not the slimy crap you get in a southern chippy.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
I Like Fish!
« Reply #49 on: 13 Oct 2005, 04:15 »

I've had plenty of crispy batters in a southern chippy, and especially in southern pubs, where I also believe there are no breadcrumbs.

Hmmm. Beer batter.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up