THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 05:46
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: I Like Fish!  (Read 21976 times)

Se7en

I Like Fish!
« Reply #50 on: 13 Oct 2005, 04:18 »

Its not the same. London chippys especially are just all wrong. The chips arnt greasy enough, and they have actual attempts at decor.. and the woman behind the counter calls you "sir" instead of "love". The batter is just adding insult to injury.

SpacemanSpiff

I Like Fish!
« Reply #51 on: 13 Oct 2005, 10:37 »

I say: Fish is better than meat. I guess I could live quite comfortably without eating meat, but I need fish.

Well, actually, so far, anything that came out of the sea and is considered edible (and that I tried) I liked. Fish, caviar, lobster, clams, seaweed, you name it.
Except for that one time where I tried to eat sand at the beach when I was little. That sucked.

Amusingly, I'm quite okay at cooking fish, but I'm pretty good at cooking meat, despite the fact that I don't like it that much.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
I Like Fish!
« Reply #52 on: 13 Oct 2005, 11:10 »

On a sidenote, it annoys me how people refer to "fish" and "meat" as separate foods.  I know what it means and why, but I'm anal enough to be all "Fish is meat."

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
I Like Fish!
« Reply #53 on: 13 Oct 2005, 11:13 »

My own thread is torture.  I'm tempted to skip out of work now and go eat a big plate of sashimi.

Quote from: calenlass
Also oysters, mussels, and other organisms found in the phylum mollusca.

Yum.  My grandpa would take me to the beach a lot.  He would schuck and eat oysters right at the beach.  I liked them that way but they are not nearly as good cooked.

Se7en

I Like Fish!
« Reply #54 on: 13 Oct 2005, 11:21 »

Funnily enough, its fish pie for dinner for me. Its not terribly good fish pie though.

Perhaps "meat" can be defined as the flesh of a warm blooded animal? warm blooded meat is certainly very different from cold blooded. Though people do refer to "snake meat" and thats cold blooded.

SpacemanSpiff

I Like Fish!
« Reply #55 on: 13 Oct 2005, 11:21 »

Quote from: jhocking
On a sidenote, it annoys me how people refer to "fish" and "meat" as separate foods.  I know what it means and why, but I'm anal enough to be all "Fish is meat."

Technically, you are right. Given the context however, the problem is: Either I write "meat of mammals and birds" or even better "meat of land-dwelling creatures", which is unnecessarily long and will lead to some funny person asking whether I eat <insert obscure animal nobody eats>.
Or I say "beef, pork, turkey, chicken and so on", but then, someone will probably ask "so kangaroo is okay?"

So I just write "meat", since everyone gets what I mean even if it is technically wrong. Please excuse me.

calenlass

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • queefcicle!
I Like Fish!
« Reply #56 on: 13 Oct 2005, 11:49 »

Quote from: Khar and se7en
stuff about proper fish-and-chips and chippies and such

Gotta have batter with breadcrumbs. Although I prefer to compensate, myself - fish supper with boddy's. (Sorry, Khar. It's probably because I'm Northerish, too...)

Also, MMMMMEEEEEAAATTT.
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

La Creme

I Like Fish!
« Reply #57 on: 13 Oct 2005, 12:07 »

Poo, soft-shell crab season is over.

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
I Like Fish!
« Reply #58 on: 13 Oct 2005, 13:01 »

Oh, I've never had soft-shelled crap.  I take it's good?

My grandpa always talked about how he had really good soft-shelled crab sandwhichs while he lived in Maryland (I think.)

Luke

I Like Fish!
« Reply #59 on: 13 Oct 2005, 13:02 »

^^ Should I be finding this amusing or not?

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
I Like Fish!
« Reply #60 on: 13 Oct 2005, 13:14 »

Quote from: happybirthdaygelatin
Oh, I've never had soft-shelled crab.  I take it's good?

I'm not a fan of soft-shelled crab.  I love crab (eg. crabmeat is really common in kimbap,) but only the inner meat; eating the shell is pretty bleh.

Se7en

I Like Fish!
« Reply #61 on: 13 Oct 2005, 13:18 »

crab IS crap compared with lobster. If your in the right place, lobster doesnt cost much.

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
I Like Fish!
« Reply #62 on: 13 Oct 2005, 13:47 »

Some reason lately in a lot of different words I've been getting P and B switched up frequently.

I didn't really care for lobster all that much when I tried it.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
I Like Fish!
« Reply #63 on: 13 Oct 2005, 17:13 »

Lobster just takes up good money that could be spent on pepper steak.

We need a meat thread.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

La Creme

I Like Fish!
« Reply #64 on: 13 Oct 2005, 17:15 »

I think lobster and crab taste like nasty. Lobster bisque on the other hand...

Meat thread go!

shrimp

I Like Fish!
« Reply #65 on: 13 Oct 2005, 17:25 »

Quote from: Se7en
Its not the same. London chippys especially are just all wrong. The chips arnt greasy enough, and they have actual attempts at decor.. and the woman behind the counter calls you "sir" instead of "love". The batter is just adding insult to injury.

When I worked in the bar in North London, in Green Lanes, I called everyone love, but I'm from Norn Iron and its common there to be everyones love. Actually I do it in class too, I'm sure my pupils fecking hate it when I call em love or darlin.

On the topic of seafood... I eat no seafood. I refuse to eat my oceanic brothers and sisters. I just dont like the taste. I cook a mean fish though, according to the hubby to be. :)

devils_daughter

I Like Fish!
« Reply #66 on: 13 Oct 2005, 17:27 »

Ew ew ew ew fish! I like fish and chips and I can deal with tuna but keep the rest of the things that should swim in the damn sea people...ewwwwww *shudders at thought of eating scaly swimming critters*

rawrXskittles

• Curry sauce
  • OH JEEZ OH DANG OH JEEZ
I Like Fish!
« Reply #67 on: 13 Oct 2005, 17:53 »

I do not care much for eating fishies. I love shushi and tuna but anything else is just...yuck. Except fish eggs. I loves me some fish eggs. Like poppy seeds they are! Only, you know, fishy.

Also, catch and release fishing? Yeah, just...no. It's mean.
Believe not in you who believes in you, but me who believes in you!

calenlass

• queefcicle!
I Like Fish!
« Reply #68 on: 13 Oct 2005, 19:05 »

No, this is just mean.

Actually, I don't know why I said no. I agree with you. I just think this is worse.
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

SeanBateman

I Like Fish!
« Reply #69 on: 13 Oct 2005, 19:15 »

Guys, I am sorry but catch and release fly-fishing with barbless hooks is the best thing ever.

rawrXskittles

• Curry sauce
I Like Fish!
« Reply #70 on: 13 Oct 2005, 19:43 »

The fish you catch are probably all "OMG WTF DUDES! DID YOU SEE THAT? WTF WAS UP WITH THAT? THAT DUDE JUST TRIED TO KILL ME AND THEN PUT ME BACK IN THE WATER!" after you release them. You are traumatizing innocent fish for the rest of their poor little lives!

Unless, you know, they think it's fun. Like reverse swimming.

heretic

I Like Fish!
« Reply #71 on: 13 Oct 2005, 20:42 »

i love fish, and crab, and lobster and pretty much anything else that you remove from it's protective case in order to ingest it's innards.
yeah, we marylanders have the best damn over-harvested poison blue crabs you can get. seriously, most of the crabs you eat in maryland come from louisiana anyhow. the only way to really get good maryland blue crab is a select few crabhouses or, the best way, is to go to the bay and buy them from shacks on the side of the road. you can get some excellent softshells that way.
today i bartered caramel macciatos for sushi. i also got to talk about the sexy ladies with the lesbians i work with and the guys with the straight girl who was working. it was a good day.

Luke

I Like Fish!
« Reply #72 on: 13 Oct 2005, 20:43 »

I don't fish. I lack the patience.

calenlass

• queefcicle!
I Like Fish!
« Reply #73 on: 13 Oct 2005, 21:13 »

Quote from: heretic
some really awesome sounding stuff about Maryland

That is just about enough to make me wish I lived there.

Hate you.  *

Proper English and Grammar compels me to say this should actually be, "I am quite jealous of you at the moment."

LiterSize

• Curry sauce
I Like Fish!
« Reply #74 on: 14 Oct 2005, 14:29 »

I.... get to eat chicken wings today.  Hooray?

Damn you heretic... to think I just had some crabcakes the other day that would probably be hella cheaper out there.  GRRRRRrrRRRrr.......

Had some awesome lobster at a wedding I was at the other day though.

practicality

I Like Fish!
« Reply #75 on: 14 Oct 2005, 15:44 »

I know this is insanely off topic, but I can seriously watch fish in a tank for hours.

About eating seafood, I will eat most of it, so long as it is cooked. Favorites incude shrimp made by my mother, crab, and salmon.

Se7en

I Like Fish!
« Reply #76 on: 14 Oct 2005, 15:52 »

Lobster has to be fresh. Less than 24 hours out of the sea, and still alive when you boil it.

Duchess Tapioca

• Larger than most fish
    • Somebody wrote something about me on the internet!
I Like Fish!
« Reply #77 on: 14 Oct 2005, 17:04 »

When sea food is for dinner:

Uncle: Hey look, we got some shirmp for dinner.
Me: Where are their heads?
Uncle: I threw them off the side of the boat.
Me: Why would you do that? Do they grow back?
Uncle: No.
Cousin in shrimp voice: That was my husband!
Real shrimp: I have butter on me! (telepathically, assuming their telepathers are in their bottoms)

Lobster: Hey, water! I was in water less than 24 hours ago. I am fresh.
Lobster: Needs more salt.
Lobster: ...
Lobster: Ow.
Lobster: ...
Lobster: I have butter on me!

Fish: Blub.
Fish: Not blub.
Fish: I have chips next to me!

meganjo23

• Plantmonster
I Like Fish!
« Reply #78 on: 14 Oct 2005, 18:27 »

I love seafood. Which is why I am sad that we've moved onto pork and lamb in my C.A. class. But, hey, I learned how to kill a lobster by shoving a knife through its head (only after reading an article about how lobsters lack the part of the brain that registers pain). The lobster that we killed had been really mean to me (doing the whole tailflippy thing everytime I went near it), so in a vengeful way, I was a little glad that I got to kill it. Then I was sad, cause I watched the damn thing spasm for about ten minutes. Then I was hungrey, and didn't really care that it had died.

Interesting fact, the lobsters heart kept beating for about ten minutes after it died. I kept wanting to poke it with my knife to stop it, cause it was pretty freaky.
-Hey, what time is it?
-It's shirtless o'clock!

http://www.myspace.com/staticlove23

Se7en

I Like Fish!
« Reply #79 on: 14 Oct 2005, 18:28 »

your not supposed to kill it with a knife! you chuck it in the boiling water, and slam the lid down quick. Thats how fresh it wants to be.

rawrXskittles

• Curry sauce
I Like Fish!
« Reply #80 on: 14 Oct 2005, 18:43 »

Boiling lobsters alive is just about the most horrible thing mankind has ever done to its aquatic friends. Poor shellfish!

Unosuke

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
I Like Fish!
« Reply #81 on: 14 Oct 2005, 18:50 »

I saw on Iron Chef once, the secret ingrediant was live octopus, and they cut up these poor octopi WHILE THEY WERE STILL ALIVE!!
Jeph: I think I like drunken baking. It has a sense of danger that you just don't get when you're sober.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
I Like Fish!
« Reply #82 on: 14 Oct 2005, 18:52 »

The first time she came with us to a lobster restaurant, my youngest sister was all "Oh, the poor lobster!" *nyom nyom nyom*

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
I Like Fish!
« Reply #83 on: 14 Oct 2005, 18:56 »

Quote from: Unosuke
I saw on Iron Chef once, the secret ingrediant was live octopus, and they cut up these poor octopi WHILE THEY WERE STILL ALIVE!!

Quote from: jhocking
I've eaten fresh octopus where I picked the thing out of a tank, the guy threw it onto my plate and chopped it up right in front of me, and then pieces were still wriggling as they went down my throat.  Mmm!

Sythe

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • ><DICK>
I Like Fish!
« Reply #84 on: 14 Oct 2005, 18:57 »

I fucked a live octopu- I mean... How about those Mets?
Quote from: Edith
Edith.: i like balls, and they are squishy

Duchess Tapioca

• Larger than most fish
    • Somebody wrote something about me on the internet!
I Like Fish!
« Reply #85 on: 14 Oct 2005, 19:14 »

You guys, that better not have been the Pacific Northwest Tree Octopus. Those little fellas are already endangered, there are barely enough for the sasquatchi. And you don't need to disturb their mating practices by emotionally scarring them Sythe, I know what you were going to say, and it was not octopunnet square. I don't think you cared that much about the genetic outcome.

You can help.

rawrXskittles

• Curry sauce
I Like Fish!
« Reply #86 on: 14 Oct 2005, 19:41 »

Quote from: Unosuke

Okay, THAT is the most horrible thing ever done to a sea-critter. The poor little Cephalopod!

LiterSize

• Curry sauce
I Like Fish!
« Reply #87 on: 14 Oct 2005, 21:32 »

Best seafood I've ever had though had to be conch.  Anyone from Florida MAY have run into this, whereas I had this in the Bahamas. It's shellfish, and hellat tasty.  Had conch fritters, a conch burger, and conch salad.

Conch salad?  Yes, it was conch mixed with lime juice, oranges and some other assorted fruits.  How was it? It was awesome.  However, it was basically prepared the same way that octopus was... in fact the guy plucked his conch trap fresh out of the water and prepared it right in front of us. (I'll spare the details.)

shrimp

I Like Fish!
« Reply #88 on: 15 Oct 2005, 08:56 »

Quote from: rawrXskittles
Okay, THAT is the most horrible thing ever done to a sea-critter. The poor little Cephalopod!

Fixed. Gastropods are snails and slugs.

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
I Like Fish!
« Reply #89 on: 15 Oct 2005, 08:56 »

Quote from: Duchess Tapioca
You guys, that better not have been the Pacific Northwest Tree Octopus. Those little fellas are already endangered, there are barely enough for the sasquatchi. And you don't need to disturb their mating practices by emotionally scarring them Sythe, I know what you were going to say, and it was not octopunnet square. I don't think you cared that much about the genetic outcome.

You can help.

Seriously, I've seen them in the wild and there is nothing quite like seeing them move through the trees.

rawrXskittles

• Curry sauce
I Like Fish!
« Reply #90 on: 15 Oct 2005, 12:03 »

Quote from: shrimp
Quote from: rawrXskittles

Fixed. Gastropods are snails and slugs.

Okay, now that I have made enough of a fool of myself...

I totally saw a tree octopus when I was in this one forest. It was all "*gurgle gurgle gurgle*" and then it shot ink at me. TOTALLY AWESOME.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
I Like Fish!
« Reply #91 on: 15 Oct 2005, 12:12 »

cynnabyte

Re: I Like Fish!
« Reply #92 on: 04 Feb 2008, 23:20 »

I feel so left out. Having lived in Arkansas most of my life, I have never seen the majestic flight of the (flying?) tree octupus! You actually got shot with their ink? I hear that is considered quite the experience. You must feel honored. :)

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #93 on: 04 Feb 2008, 23:30 »

While I appreciate the fact that new users are apparently using the search function, it would be really nice if they check the last post date before they decided to reply to a thread. Any discussion that existed in this thread was probably forgotten considering that it was nearly three years ago when anybody posted.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #94 on: 04 Feb 2008, 23:49 »

Ohmigod it totally was like 3 years ago. Holy shit I feel old.

Jesus, how much of my life have I wasted in this place?

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #95 on: 05 Feb 2008, 00:10 »

Quite the surprise to see this thread back at the top of the list

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #96 on: 05 Feb 2008, 00:10 »

Jesus, how much of my life have I wasted in this place?

Fortunately there's a handy little box at the top of the forum with your profile information in it, that will tell you exactly that!

Ooh, I've spent almost an entire month logged in here!

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #97 on: 05 Feb 2008, 00:13 »

That wasn't there before the update! I will never know the true figures! Oh noes!

Verergoca

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #98 on: 05 Feb 2008, 05:05 »

Katie, i think the total sum adds up to "to much"

Old fogey!
Quote from: Dr. Sidney Freeman
Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Jeff Newguy

« Reply #99 on: 05 Feb 2008, 06:56 »

I'm not really a fan of fish.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up