THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 Apr 2024, 19:34
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Half-Life 2: Lost Coast  (Read 4926 times)

Hoverthrone

Half-Life 2: Lost Coast
« on: 30 Oct 2005, 14:12 »

For anyone who was looking forward to it, Half-Life 2: Lost Coast is out, and it's freely downloadable from Steam for anyone who owns Half-Life 2. I liked the level; it wasn't as good as most of HL2 was, but it was still worth the download. There was a bug or two, and there were a couple of places where I couldn't figure out where I was to go, but overall it was pretty good.

For those keeping track, Lost Coast is a level that was made with the intent of showing off Valve's new "High-dynamic range lighting" (or whatever HDR stands for). If your computer doesn't meet the requirements for HDR, you can just turn it off and play it with the same settings you use for HL2.

Anyone else played it? Any thoughts?

Sythe

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • ><DICK>
« Reply #1 on: 30 Oct 2005, 15:30 »

I liked it. HDR isn't a huge improvement, but its pretty nonetheless.
Quote from: Edith
Edith.: i like balls, and they are squishy

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • WTF was I thinking when I picked this name?
« Reply #2 on: 30 Oct 2005, 15:51 »

well, the entire point is that it's supposed to be a showcase of the Source engine's graphical capabilities, rather than a serious expansion to the game itself.

I'm installing it right now. It'll probably take overnight to finish preparing, so I think I'll leave my PC running while I sleep, and play it sometime tomorrow. Verdict and comments to be delivered upon completion.
ROCK MORE, ROLL MORE, LURK MOAR

Inanimate Object

• Balloon animal serial killer
    • http://www.psptown.com
« Reply #3 on: 31 Oct 2005, 07:42 »

I think it did it's job as a tech demo very well. It was painfully short in terms of gameplay, but boy was it pretty. It had a little trouble on my system though. The firefight towards the end really lagged. :(

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #4 on: 31 Oct 2005, 15:03 »

i find the concept of HDR delicious.  anything that brings more graphical/physics realism to games (however slight) is definitely welcome.

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #5 on: 31 Oct 2005, 15:12 »

I urge you to procure a copy of Day of Defeat: Source forthwith, then, for verily, lo, i'faith and Marry, it doth use the Highe Dynamice Range lighting within the structure of ane fulle game.

As for Lost Coast itself...

goddamn, but it's gorgeous. from the slimy, wet sand at the very beginning, through to the way the lights in the church interact with you, your torch, and the gold lanterns hung from the ceiling.

Luke C

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • http://www.john87.com
« Reply #6 on: 01 Nov 2005, 13:51 »

Quote from: Switchblade
I urge you to procure a copy of Day of Defeat: Source forthwith, then, for verily, lo, i'faith and Marry, it doth use the Highe Dynamice Range lighting within the structure of ane fulle game.

As for Lost Coast itself...

goddamn, but it's gorgeous. from the slimy, wet sand at the very beginning, through to the way the lights in the church interact with you, your torch, and the gold lanterns hung from the ceiling.

DoD is fun. :)
"These capitalists generally act harmoniously and in concert to fleece the people, and now that they have got into a quarrel with themselves, we are called upon to appropriate the people's money to settle the quarrel." Lincoln in 1837

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #7 on: 01 Nov 2005, 17:38 »

Hey dude. Welcome aboard. Just a friendly advice on the usual way things are done on these boards:

1) People seem to have a problem with people quoting the post directly above theirs. It's kind of assumed that, unless you specifically quote somebody else, you're commenting on what the last poster said (the threads tend to move slowly enough that you don't need to worry about being overtaken, and if you are: edit button). in this case, you'd be justified in just quoting the section on DoD, I think

2) Secondly, people don't get to have images in their sigs. Just a foible of these forums.

Esotastic

« Reply #8 on: 01 Nov 2005, 19:32 »

I loved the difference, honestly. Source is an amazing engine, and has a rockin' graphical prowess.

Oh, and the helmets on the Overwatch were shiny in Lost Coast.

That rocked.

FreshJive787

• Furry furrier
« Reply #9 on: 01 Nov 2005, 20:02 »

lost coast was amazing, i wish there was a little more you could do in it though.

kikanjuuneko

« Reply #10 on: 02 Nov 2005, 00:15 »

I do like that Valve's implementation of HDR, much like reality itself, is a lot more subtle than a lot of other games. Unless you know what to look for, it doesn't jump out at you all like "OH MY GOD, THIS IS HDR".

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #11 on: 02 Nov 2005, 00:26 »

That's true.

I tell you what, when I really started to poke around with it, it really started to get good. try shining your torch on the gold things hanging from the church ceiling, letting the bloom fade, switching it off, and letting the colour adjust.

the models themselves are pretty basic, but it really highlights what you can do with the right materials, bump mapping and lighting effects.
Pages: [1]   Go Up