THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 15:35
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video Card  (Read 6324 times)

RedLeather

Video Card
« on: 13 Oct 2005, 06:26 »

Okay so i need a video card...because my computer's burned out (Banned from the internet now, not games....but the first time i fired it up...Fizzzz...)
It had a Nvidia Geforce 5600 in it, but i'm curious, what in this forum's opinion is better? Nividia or Ati Radeon?

Back to the looking for a Video card question, i hjave a pretty big budget (2,000 dollars...I <3 grandparents that are secretly loaded) and Which is the best right now and which is better? Nvidia ? Ati? A third party? and keep in mind..these *must* be video gaming cards...So...ready? Help

Se7en

Video Card
« Reply #1 on: 13 Oct 2005, 06:48 »

2000 dollars on a video card? you are hard pressed to spend over £300 on a single card really. For that kind of money, you are probably talking about a whole set of possible upgrades, not just the card. Hell, you could squeeze an SLI upgrade perhaps (two graphics cards in one system for more grunt)

Now, the nvidia/ATI thing is practically a theological argument for a lot of people. People have their favorites, and honestly, half the time they dont have any real reason for choosing the favorite.

Right now however, Nvidia probably have the edge, simply because of the avaliability of SLI systems. This doesnt mean you shouldnt consider ATI though, but you need to judge each card on its OWN merits, not judge it by the brand.

There ARE no third parties that are worth a damn, and its been that way for a long time. You see, your ATI or Nvidia card just uses the GPU from the respective manufacturer, and the rest of the card is made by somebody else. So say an "MSI Geforce 6600GT" would be an Nvidia chip, on a board designed and built by MSI, and may or may not have  the same specification and performance as another card with the same GPU, by a different company.

You get companies like gainward, who slap some faster memory on the card to make it perform better, and crank up the price accordingly. Between manufacturers you can have differences in GPU speed, Memory type, quantity, and speed, and differences in the cooling systems used.

Also, ATI and Nvidia use contractitory naming schemes. If an ATI card has "XT" tacked on the end of the model name, thats the superdooper version. If an Nvidia card has that suffix, that means its the crappy cut down version.

I think the first thing to decide, is are you spending the right amount of money, and in the right place? I dont know the exchange rates, but it sounds like a lot of dosh. Maybe your going to need other upgrades to get the most out of a new graphics card.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
Video Card
« Reply #2 on: 13 Oct 2005, 07:19 »

Frankly, that "no third party" explanation of videocards even extends beyond consumer cards.  For high-end graphics work some people recommend Wildcats or whatever, but those are so single minded that consumer cards are usually a better choice.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
Video Card
« Reply #3 on: 13 Oct 2005, 08:06 »

if you are looking to get a new fancypants video card then you'll probably be looking at either an nVidia geForce 7x00 series  (eg: 7800 for top-of-the-line) or an ATI Radeon X1x00 series (eg: X1800 for top-of-the-line).  however, seeing as the geforce 7x00 range seems prohibitively expensive right now and the X1x00 range doesn't seem to be available in Australia (and therefore, probably not available in NZ either) you're probably going to be looking at the geforce 6x00 range (eg: 6800) and the Radeon Xx00 range (eg: X800).  the numbers scale down from there, and usually the mid-range product from each manufacturer (which usually the *600, i think?) is your best bang for your buck.

i also agree with basically everything that's already been said, especially what se7en said about making sure that you are not getting a video card that is overpowered for your system.  there is not really any point to getting a top-rank video card if your system is hella old and your cpu or memory is going to bottleneck your performance anyways.

although, if the NZL dollar is anything like the AUD at the moment $2k will probably get a decent mid-range gfx card and upgrade your other gear if needed.  $2k is basically a lot of money unless you are going for "enthusiast" gear (ie: top-of-the-line everything)

summary:
- if you have a decent pc then you might want to get either an nVidia geForce 6800GT or an ATI Radeon X850XT. you will probab ly be able to pick either up starting at around $750-$800 NZD

- if you need to upgrade your pc or don't want to spend that much money then you can probably get an nVidia geForce 6600GT or an ATI Radeon X600XT for about $250-$300 NZD, or a little more for models with more ram, or clocked higher, etc.

RedLeather

Video Card
« Reply #4 on: 13 Oct 2005, 08:28 »

Okay...Well, Here is what my computer is...a "monster" A.K.A. Dell Presiscion, so it's not going to bottleneck any time soon, and it has an SLI Slot...So i think i'll go with 2x Videocards...Doesn't Nividia have a card specially Designed PCI Express? I can't remember what it's called...and can't get on the site (....Nvidia.com= bad in school? Anyway it's blocked) If someone could get me that name..i'd love them forever and..i dunno, uy them a sheep? >>;

Se7en

Video Card
« Reply #5 on: 13 Oct 2005, 08:44 »

yeah, Nvidia have plenty of PCI-E cards. Your going to be looking at Geforce 6800 GTs probably, and they both have to be identical. Some cards support it, some dont. They use a little bridging widget to connect the two cards together.

Also, check you really DO have the slots and the neccesary room for an SLI setup. Dell are notorious for supplying crap cases with insufficient cooling and spaces. You might want to think about one of those little slot extractor fans, and putting fans in any empty mounting spaces.

RedLeather

Video Card
« Reply #6 on: 13 Oct 2005, 08:53 »

It probably does have the room, i'll check if i ever get home today =(

The cooling system last time i checked consited of four fans, and the option for a liquid cooling system...Do those even exist? <<;

Se7en

Video Card
« Reply #7 on: 13 Oct 2005, 08:59 »

oh yeah, they do. I used to design and build many many very silly ones back when i cared about overclocking.

4 fans ought to be enough really. Also note the distance between the two SLI slots. You will probably be limited to cards with coolers that take up just one slot, so there will be enough breathing room between the two.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
Video Card
« Reply #8 on: 13 Oct 2005, 09:05 »

please also note that i am simultaneously approving and disapproving of running two geforce 6800gt cards in SLI mode.

on the one hand, having that much graphics card power is totally cool.  however, i am running a 2 year old Radeon 9800 pro and i can basically run every game out right now without a problem.  so instead of paying between $300 and $800 for a card that is more powerful than my old card and will run everything you want for the next few years you'll probably be spending about $1500 or so instead.

that said, if you want the best of the best then go for it.  i just think that you probably won't be getting all that much value for the extra money.

RedLeather

Video Card
« Reply #9 on: 13 Oct 2005, 09:10 »

Hmm. Well,  I might go with either the two GT cards or the 9800, y'see there's also a hidden agenda...i want a game that will be able to play THe Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion on max. Because, i'm geeky like that...and i want a card that will last me a few decades or so...(Or two) My old computer (Before the Dell Presicion) Was *Barely* able to play Command and Conquer Generals on low...the Presidcion Half-Life 2 on medium w/o upgrades, so i'm just trying to get the best for myself for once.

Se7en

Video Card
« Reply #10 on: 13 Oct 2005, 09:12 »

Well if value were important, she wouldnt have a dell.

Se7en

Video Card
« Reply #11 on: 13 Oct 2005, 09:14 »

no no, not a 9800. Thats oooold technology, and rotton value for money nowadays.

For a midrange card, your looking at a single Geforce 6600 GT, or an X800 pro. Perhaps even a single geforce 6800 GT, they start fairly cheap.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
Video Card
« Reply #12 on: 13 Oct 2005, 09:32 »

i agree.  

also, i hope that Oblivion turns out better than Morrowind was. the open-endedness was both a blessing and a curse.  i wandered about so much that i became far too powerful for the main quest, so it got boring.  in the new one there needs to be something that encourages you to do the main quest in a more timely fashion.

RedLeather

Video Card
« Reply #13 on: 13 Oct 2005, 10:32 »

Hopefully there is. Well, i'm pretty much set on a card now, the 6600 GT

Se7en

Video Card
« Reply #14 on: 13 Oct 2005, 10:49 »

Yeah, thats an exelent midrange choise. A currency converter tells me it should be around 300 dollars.

If you find you can squeeze a bit more, look at the cheaper 6800 GTs.

You will often find up to 20% price difference between bassically the same card, depending on the brandname, small spec differences, and bundled tat.

Usually, the expensive cards arnt worth the money. This one is cheap (at this retailer, in the UK, but probably will be elsewhere too) and has my personal recomendation, since i've reviewed one.

http://www.savastore.com/productinfo/product.aspx?catalog_name=Savastore&product_id=10278830&pid=207&rstrat=3165

Edit: i dug out the review i wrote when it came out. Its damned good actaully! Its got slightly better spec memory than standard, and it overclocked nicely, with a quiet cooler.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
Video Card
« Reply #15 on: 13 Oct 2005, 11:54 »

Quote from: Se7en
If you find you can squeeze a bit more, look at the cheaper 6800 GTs.

definitely!  if you are going the one-card route, and not two 6600's in an SLI setup (and seeing as you wanted to get a fancy card) then you should probably get one of the cheaper 6800gt cards instead of the 6600.  it'll be more future-proof, which seemed important to you, and will give you a touch more grunt just in case they do something spectacularly badass with Oblivion's graphics engine and you need the extra power.

RedLeather

Video Card
« Reply #16 on: 14 Oct 2005, 06:26 »

They already have already done something spectuacurlarly badass with oblivion. Madeit! xD Nah it just looks sooo good..-drool-.

Rizzo

• Bling blang blong blung
  • R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
Video Card
« Reply #17 on: 01 Nov 2005, 18:28 »

I say make sure you don't get a 6200. Mine can't even handle antialiasing on HL2. Although... I could be doing something wrong there...
[threadhijack]help Rizzo get more power out of his 6200[/threadhijack]
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Sometimes I feel like everyone around me is some sort of statistical/mathematical genuis and I'm hitting a gazelle in the head with a rock and screaming at the sky when there's a storm.
Pages: [1]   Go Up