THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 Apr 2024, 10:15
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 97   Go Down

Author Topic: Der Tattoo Thread.  (Read 775387 times)

Jessidee

Re: Der Tattoo Thread.
« Reply #1700 on: 28 Nov 2008, 16:58 »

i have seen heaps and heaps of nautical stars, i think it is overated

SonofZ3

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #1701 on: 28 Nov 2008, 17:19 »

Overrated? I've never really heard anyone extoling the virtues of the nautical star in relation to some other commonly tattooed symbols, I think the fact that so many people have them proves that something about it is appealing. In fact, I would go a step farther and argue that something about the geometry of pentagonal figures in general appeals to the human eye, given the occurrance of it in popular images of many cultures. Sakura blossom symbols are are pentagonal repetitions similar to a nautical star, and the same can be said about the Tudor Rose. The nautical star, in its geometry, contains the golden section phi, which mathematicians are obsessed with for some reason. Digging even deeper, many molecular structures are pentagonal in shape, but hey, I guess the basic structural shapes of life are pretty overrated when I think about it.
I've gained nothing from Zen.

Drill King

• Duck attack survivor
  • The Monster of Man
« Reply #1702 on: 28 Nov 2008, 18:12 »

Same reason people seem to like sunflowers and conch shells.

0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8...
King of Kings baby.

photoblog tumblr

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #1703 on: 28 Nov 2008, 20:34 »

Nautical stars look good both due to geometric appeal and because they just look cool in regards to modern aesthetics for whatever reason. I would not want one because I am super picky about what I wear and don't like things other people have. As per above, I've never heard anyone extolling their virtues. Usually people are just like 'hey those look pretty cool' and they do, in fact, look pretty cool.

..13, 21, 34, 55, 89...

One of the cooler applications of the golden ratio is converting miles and kilometers! It approximates the ratio, so say you have 30km and want it in miles, then just compose 30 as a sum of fibonaccis (don't be scared by math, it's easy!) and write it as, say, 21 + 8 + 1 then decrease each number once to get 13 + 5 + 1 = 19 miles. If you had thirty miles, go up one and get 34 + 13 + 1 = 48km. The higher the fibonacci number you use the better, and try to avoid using one because it is unreliable.

P.S. I am presently wearing the t-shirt I got from going to a math conference at which I learned that fibonacci trick... It is a friday night and I am drinking a beer and eating birthday cake alone at home.
« Last Edit: 28 Nov 2008, 20:36 by Slick »
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #1704 on: 28 Nov 2008, 21:13 »

I'd love to have the symbols from the Golden Record tattooed on my back.

Knowing what they mean, they're freakin' brilliant. Not knowing what they mean, I have no idea why we'd ever expect aliens to contact us.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

peach

« Reply #1705 on: 28 Nov 2008, 21:30 »

i'm having troubles deciding what my next tattoo should be.
i'm getting one for xmas, and i have ideas for what i want, but i don't know which one to get first.
either the caterpillar smoking the hookah from alice in wonderland on my left arm, or the 1 up mushroom from mario on the left side of my chest to match my invincibility star.
=\ i just don't know, what do you guys think?

SonofZ3

« Reply #1706 on: 28 Nov 2008, 21:33 »

the 1up would be pretty damn cute. I'll be doing the tattoo for christmas thing too. I think another 2 japanese red crowned cranes to finish my right chest/ribcage will be in order

peach

« Reply #1707 on: 28 Nov 2008, 21:55 »

i thought about a full chest piece of mario bros....i've never seen that it'd be interesting and totally fun. =]

SonofZ3

« Reply #1708 on: 28 Nov 2008, 22:04 »

thats the best reason to do it, in my opinion. I get tired of being asked "but what does it mean" about any of my ink. All it means, and all is has to mean is that its something I found pleasing and fun.

peach

« Reply #1709 on: 28 Nov 2008, 22:07 »

i don't think tattoos have to have a meaning all the time.
but as for mario bros. goes i grew up playing nintendo and i just love video games.

ThePQ4

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #1710 on: 28 Nov 2008, 22:45 »

I go for the 1up --Finish the set.
I get really sick of people going, "Yeah, they're nice now, but what are they gonna look like when you're 80?"
To which I simply reply, "I doubt I'll live to see 80, thanks." And walk away.

And I am sooo tired of people telling me that my Dark Mark is a "nice tattoo". It's really not out of all of them, it's probably the least well done (I mean I love it an all, I'm just sick of people who don't know the difference telling me it's nice...especially when they have no idea what it even is. This bothers me more when I am at work and don't really want to talk about my tattoos).

I am sad that I can't afford to get a tattoo this year, guys. I really wanted to get my Deathly Hallows and possibly either my Wolverine and my Gambit. Ideally, I would have wanted to finish off my other leg with Nariko/Surge but I gotta get this weird affliction on my leg checked out/gotten rid of first.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #1711 on: 28 Nov 2008, 22:50 »

Okay so people are complimenting you on your tattoo and you are complaining...?
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #1712 on: 28 Nov 2008, 23:35 »

Guys, I am an asshole. I think I have really really awesome tattoos. And....I think...I've become sort of a tattoo elitist.
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #1713 on: 29 Nov 2008, 05:59 »

PQ4, honestly, this is why I don't like you. You are a complete snob about a harry potter tattoo and you sound quite offended about good intentions. I am not saying this to be malicious or mean, but listen to yourself. No one likes an indignant superior asshole. If you don't want to talk about your tattoos, either cover them up or don't get them. Big colourful things on your forearms that are unique tend to solicit interest. That's fucking life with people.

Also, your dark mark is 'nice' you fool. If I recall, it's a skull with a snake through it done in a kind of cartoony style. It is like "hey here's a badass tattoo but isn't it a little cute and fun instead?". Maybe you should have considered what the actual design would look like to others as well as what it means to you before getting it permanently on your arm, because that is the way people will see it.
"I'm a little badass but I'm silly too!"

SonofZ3

« Reply #1714 on: 29 Nov 2008, 08:00 »

I wish I got complimented more on my ink, I live in a pretty conservative area and mostly people just stare with mild contempt. One of my aunts actually asked me to roll down my sleeves at christmas dinner the one year because she didn't want her children seeing someone wi th tattoos. She also asked me to take my earrings out for the same reason.

ackblom12

« Reply #1715 on: 29 Nov 2008, 10:42 »

If you don't want to talk about your tattoos, either cover them up or don't get them. Big colourful things on your forearms that are unique tend to solicit interest. That's fucking life with people.

While I agree with the majority of your post concerning the attitude, it does get a little irritating having people constantly pointing out something about you or wanting you to tell them stories when you've never met the person before. I mean, you shouldn't expect it to never happen, like you said, it's colorful, or it's giant holes in your ears. It attracts attention. On the other hand, not everyone is particularly personable and it's generally a bit rude (unintentionally or not) to come up and start asking questions of someone you've never met, especially when a certain folks feel like you have to share a story because obviously you must want the attention.

peach

« Reply #1716 on: 29 Nov 2008, 10:48 »

yea if you don't want people to look at your tattoos then cover them up =p

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #1717 on: 29 Nov 2008, 11:59 »

There are many many many things that I don't like about the world, or about people, but I don't do things without considering the consequences first and fully accepting responsibility. Tattoos are very polarising, we're lucky here to have a community that not only accepts but encourages them. I'd be glad to get praise from strangers if I were you.

maxusy3k

• FIGHT YOU
  • Lurker of Lovecraftian proportion
    • Obligatory Social Networking Page
« Reply #1718 on: 29 Nov 2008, 13:13 »

Guys, I am an asshole. I think I have really really awesome tattoos. And....I think...I've become sort of a tattoo elitist.

I don't know about elitism but I've definitely become the biggest fan of my own forearm tattoo. I see it in the mirror at work or whatever and I'm like "SHIT YEAH THAT IS THE BEST THING".

Actually... I think I've maybe always been a bit of a tattoo elitist. I have very definite ideas of what I like and what I don't, a big part of me choosing where I have work done - in terms of actual tattoo parlour - is the way the artist themselves are tattoo'd. An artist who's arms are completely covered in ink for coverups of old work will turn me right off, since I think it looks positively awful and sure as hell don't want to let somebody who would sport that kind of work putting art on me. In terms of actual images or designs that stand, I wouldn't ever begrudge or condemn somebody for having some work, though. My best friend got a fairly generic tribal tattoo for his 21st, born from the desire to get a tattoo but with no idea what he wanted - something I do hate - but I mean, it's his body, so if that's what he wants then that's what he should have.

Also here is my arm as it is right now. The angel is done! Another session should have the full thing completed. The extra dark bits on the right wing (uh, left as you look at it) is where it is still healing, not part of the actual shading.

maxusy3k

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #1719 on: 29 Nov 2008, 13:48 »

Well yes exactly. Though I do always keep in mind that the artist who did it is the one who, uh, well did it, so it is not just "this tattoo is awesome" there is also the whole "the artist who did this has done an amazing job".

Before I had my arm done, I always referred to tattoo artists as just 'tattooists'. Now I use the artist word, especially when referring to the guy who is doing my current work.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #1720 on: 29 Nov 2008, 14:00 »

Heart + Ribbon + Name = Work

Detailed picture + serious thought + length time + etc. ---> art

Does such a broad definition like this exist? At what point is a tattooist a  tattoo artist?

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #1721 on: 29 Nov 2008, 14:07 »

When they're making art, duh. Do not expect words on a screen to define an artist for you.

SonofZ3

« Reply #1722 on: 29 Nov 2008, 14:11 »

My tattoo artist broke it down to me like this:
Tattooist: someone who takes pre-made tattoos (flash) and draws them on a person
Tattoo Artist: Someone who can take abstract ideas, work with the client, and produce an entirely original piece of work.
Many tattoo artists have to do the work of a tattooist to make a living, but they're able to do much more than that, and are happy to if you give them the chance.
And while we're talking about tattoos, does anyone know of a shop that does good neo-jappanese style tattooing in the Western PA, Eastern Ohio area by any chance?

maxusy3k

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #1723 on: 29 Nov 2008, 14:13 »

Art is in the eye of the beholder, which I guess is what Slick just said.

Any tattoo is 'work' to my mind... I mean, it is what a guy is being paid to do, so it is work in the same way as, I don't know, a guy who is paid to build a house is doing 'work'. Afterwards, though, he has contributed to something people will (hopefully) love and come to care about in a much bigger way than just the product of a few man-hours.

I think I lost my point. A professional writer writes books as their vocation, the stuff they produce is their work. Afterwards, it might be viewed as art by some, it might not. It's still work in one respect, though.

I would refer to a tattooist as an 'artist' once they produce something I would call 'art'. In my case, the work I'm having done on my arm qualifies as such. Other people may disagree.

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #1724 on: 29 Nov 2008, 14:24 »

Tattooist: someone who takes pre-made tattoos (flash) and draws them on a person
Tattoo Artist: Someone who can take abstract ideas, work with the client, and produce an entirely original piece of work.
This, duh. Expect words on a screen to define it clearly and concisely for you.

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #1725 on: 30 Nov 2008, 12:52 »

Unless you people are actually inking yourself, I don't think you can justify being too congratulatory of your tattoos.

I suppose people who draw their own first can take some credit but otherwise, the actual tattooist did all the work, You just own the canvas.

Well....My tattoo artist did thank me for have such an awesome idea for a tattoo, and for allowing him to have a lot of fun drawing an octopus. So you know, I totally deserve all the credit for that.*

Also, my tongue-in-cheek post was basically saying that since I got my tattoos, I've grown very very picky about what I think is good and what I think is bad.

*Sarcasm. On the internet??? I know.
« Last Edit: 30 Nov 2008, 21:24 by Emaline »
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

peach

« Reply #1726 on: 30 Nov 2008, 20:54 »

whats the most expensive tattoo you have?
what is it?
where did you get it?

Drill King

• Duck attack survivor
  • The Monster of Man
« Reply #1727 on: 30 Nov 2008, 21:21 »

So um, as I mentioned before I've been thinking about the aum. So I've been doodling designs, this ended up huge on my body. So uh. I know it's kinda big but what do you think? Disregard the messiness of it, sharpie and highlighteeerrr also sorry about the weird cropping, I did not think it would be appropriate otherwise(even though nothing showed, eh..) http://i38.tinypic.com/2rh34lh.jpg

This is totally probably not going to happen but I was just wondering.
King of Kings baby.

photoblog tumblr

peach

« Reply #1728 on: 30 Nov 2008, 21:23 »

i think that is beautiful :) it would hurt like a bitch, but its soo pretty

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #1729 on: 30 Nov 2008, 22:14 »

what is it?
where did you get it?

Are you asking me?

My most expensive was my octopus. It was my first and I absolutely love it. My other tattoos are my birds. I have a yellow one, and a black one. They both are incredibly difficult to photograph, and honestly, look shitloads better than either of these pictures would lead you to believe.
« Last Edit: 30 Nov 2008, 22:17 by Emaline »

LizziL

• Larger than most fish
  • 'This thing came out of our cat...'
« Reply #1730 on: 30 Nov 2008, 23:04 »

Even if they're 'crappy photographs', those are awesome. Did it hurt getting them there? I was thinking about something around that area, but I have to be careful where I get it - can't have 'always visible' tatts.
Love the octo too!

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1731 on: 30 Nov 2008, 23:11 »

I've put around $500 so far into my half sleeve, but 1) everything is cheaper here and 2) it's just straight up line work. No shading, no color, just coloring book lines. The first session was $350, the second was $120 which was just thickening up the lines, and I still have a session or two to go before it's done.

The only stupid annoying question that I've gotten on my sleeve when it was visible that I actually got mad about was when some dude (I assume trying to figure out if I was single or not) asked me if I wanted it or did my boyfriend. Which I guess gave me an in to say that I picked it out, I worked with my artist to design it, and I got it for myself, thank you, and I wouldn't date anyone who would try to force me to do/not do anything involving my body.
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #1732 on: 30 Nov 2008, 23:13 »

They actually didn't hurt at all. It just felt..... interesting. They aren't super visible, either. Most people never notice them. They were only $20 too! Which is awesome. I totally got a discount on them because the shop owner loves me.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #1733 on: 30 Nov 2008, 23:36 »

The only stupid annoying question that I've gotten on my sleeve when it was visible that I actually got mad about was when some dude (I assume trying to figure out if I was single or not) asked me if I wanted it or did my boyfriend.

I got my second tattoo (the snake) after talking to the girlfriend I had at the time. I mean, she had tattoos and it inspired me to go spend the money to get mine done. I wanted it, but she was the push that made me actually go get it.

So, after we break up, I told my friend about it and he said "wow that sucks because you have that tattoo you got because of her."
I didn't get it because of her specifically, it has nothing to do with her even. I got it because I wanted it, I just needed someone to push me into having it done.

Then again, I am a tattoo elitist. I am so pissed at my sister for her stupid tattoos.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1734 on: 30 Nov 2008, 23:39 »

That's totally different though, this guy was basically implying that I got mine because some dude thought it would be hot. I guess I could have lied and said "no, my ~*~*~*~*~**~~*ERIC*~**~*~*~*~*~**~~*~" tatt is on my lower back.
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #1735 on: 30 Nov 2008, 23:42 »

Dude go give your sister a hug.

LizziL

• Larger than most fish
  • 'This thing came out of our cat...'
« Reply #1736 on: 30 Nov 2008, 23:59 »

I want to get another one SO BAD.
I know that I want a lily and a rose, for personal reasons, but I can't decide where, or what I want them to look like.
Also, I am very, very broke :(.

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #1737 on: 01 Dec 2008, 04:58 »

some dude asked me if I wanted it or did my boyfriend.

What a dick!

I know it's kinda big but what do you think?

It looks pretty damn awesome.

peach

« Reply #1738 on: 01 Dec 2008, 10:49 »

the most expensive tattoo i have was $45 and its my anchor on my left foot (discount because he loves me! for anyone else it would be a $85 tattoo! :D)
my mario star was a birthday present from my tattoo artist, so it was free.

abadname

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • double plus good
    • http://www.myspace.com/roseofsharyn7
« Reply #1739 on: 01 Dec 2008, 11:17 »

My most expensive is my chest at about 450.  Full chest piece.  I'm happy about it.

peach

« Reply #1740 on: 01 Dec 2008, 11:19 »

do you have a picture of it? i'd like to see it.

Ballard

• Older than Moses
  • This is my happening and it freaks me out!
« Reply #1741 on: 01 Dec 2008, 13:30 »

Drill King, its absolutely beautiful. If you have the dedication and the pain tolerance, I think you should go for it.
I'm like the boy who cried "you guys are faggots"

maxusy3k

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #1742 on: 02 Dec 2008, 04:00 »

I agree, Drill King... that's amazing! It would probably sting something fierce but I imagine it'd be so, so worth it.

what is it?
where did you get it?

My most expensive is the forearm piece, running at about £400 so far (I think, I lost track) but should only be £50 or £100 (one or two sessions) more. Pics are strewn about the thread because I'm a tatwhore, I guess.

abadname

• double plus good
« Reply #1743 on: 02 Dec 2008, 11:24 »

http://forums.questionablecontent.net/index.php/topic,7913.msg705276.html#msg705276
There is a link to my post about it a couple months ago.  I don't think I need to post it here again if it's already here heh.

peach

« Reply #1744 on: 02 Dec 2008, 18:49 »

That looks awesome! I love family tattoos.
I'm trying to talk my mom into getting a matching tattoo with me.

but without Alice.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #1745 on: 02 Dec 2008, 21:57 »

My most expensive is my chest at about 450.  Full chest piece.  I'm happy about it.

Tier 7.25?
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

abadname

• double plus good
« Reply #1746 on: 02 Dec 2008, 21:58 »

What?

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #1747 on: 03 Dec 2008, 06:54 »

I believe that obscure nerd reference deserves a terrist fist jab, Jordan.

=@
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #1748 on: 03 Dec 2008, 19:29 »

Oh thank god someone got it, I did not want to have to awkwardly explain it.

@=
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

mooface

« Reply #1749 on: 06 Dec 2008, 05:24 »

i'm the one on the left.  my leg is kind of gross-looking.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 97   Go Up