THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 09:09
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 97   Go Down

Author Topic: Der Tattoo Thread.  (Read 755714 times)

smack that isaiah

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Tell me again what a monster is
    • Igor and the Whale
Re: Der Tattoo Thread.
« Reply #4000 on: 06 Mar 2011, 17:33 »

Maybe the penguin should be small and at the base of your spine, like it would be on the base of the spine of a book.
Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter

ackblom12

« Reply #4001 on: 06 Mar 2011, 17:34 »

Penguin Tramp Stamp OH YEAHHHHHHHHHH!

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #4002 on: 06 Mar 2011, 17:35 »

Check with them to see if they will pay for it, for advertising purposes.
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

horsefish

• Emoticontraindication
  • Guybrarian
« Reply #4003 on: 06 Mar 2011, 17:46 »

I wonder if successful litigation against you for infringing their trade mark would lead to requiring surgical removal...

(j/k, I hope)

Jesus, I hope there's no precedent for that!  I have tattoos of Linus from Peanuts and Eeyore (Disney Style - if I had it to do over again i might go with the less cliched E. H. Shepard version, but honestly I had more of an attachment to the movies than the books, for better or worse).  I don't know how litigious the estate of Charles Schulz is, but if Disney had its way, they'd probably amputate my arm and throw it in the cooler with Walt's head :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: 06 Mar 2011, 18:08 by horsefish »
The first rule of Book Club is you do not talk about Book Club.

The Seldom Killer

• Only pretending to work
  • More witless shite ----->
« Reply #4004 on: 07 Mar 2011, 00:50 »

I wonder if successful litigation against you for infringing their trade mark would lead to requiring surgical removal...

(j/k, I hope)

On another forum I frequent, we had a T-shirt made up based on the Penguin. Because sales were done online we ended up getting a bit of a thrashing for infringement of copyright and ended up having to clear the stock black market style.

Still, as long as Jeans doesn't flout his ink all over the internet and at book fairs I'm sure he'll not be held down in the street while his skin is excised by shadowy agents identifiable only by a vaguely comforting musty smell.

jodizzle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Stairs will tear us apart
« Reply #4005 on: 07 Mar 2011, 00:54 »

Hannah hannah hannah hannah that is amazing!
Quote from: Hannah in Meebly
you it be the mics taht are broked?
Quote from: ViolentDove
But then again, I used to dress like the bastard child of a drug-addled punk and a shrubbery.

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #4006 on: 07 Mar 2011, 07:27 »

I am always a fan of calf tattoos for some reason, but lower back (maybe to one side) seems good as well.

Alternatively, butt tattoo!

ackblom12

« Reply #4007 on: 09 Mar 2011, 13:51 »

So I got some purty Tibetan Agate today in 1".

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #4008 on: 09 Mar 2011, 17:39 »

Ooo, very pretty. I wanted a pair, but striping doesn't look as good in smaller sizes.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
« Reply #4009 on: 10 Mar 2011, 00:18 »

I submitted a photo of my zipper to fuckyeahtattoos the day I got it and it finally got published today. it has 769 likes/reblogs on it, most of them positive. There were a few saying I would regret it and wondering why I would get something like that. The funniest one is a girl saying that in getting that tattoo I am completely objectifying myself. I kinda want to reply to her asking where the hell she got that idea from, but at the same time I really don't give a shit about her strange opinion.

All the positive comments are making me so happy, though. Seriously almost tearing up with happiness  here. Seems a bit silly that strangers on the internet are liking and showing other people my tattoo, seeing as I loved it even before all this, but it sure as hell is making me feel good about it.
Quote from: Drunk Pete
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

öde

« Reply #4010 on: 10 Mar 2011, 05:57 »

I guess she might think it was about getting undressed? Undressing your skin?

Adlan

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #4011 on: 10 Mar 2011, 06:27 »

Currently working my way through a Half Sleeve. Bonus points for people who recognise the different Species.

Pictures show it at the finished level of shading, I've had one more session since then.
It's half coloured at the moment, Next colour session in June. It's gonna eventually have a background as well.

@Eris, surely someone telling you what you should and shouldn't do with your body is the one objectifying you?

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #4012 on: 10 Mar 2011, 06:34 »

Man now I'm reading fuckyeahtattoos and I really wish my artist would stop furthering her career by doing guest spots all over the world and just finish my fucking sleeves already (If I find out where in the US she'll be I'll let interested parties know).
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #4013 on: 10 Mar 2011, 07:40 »

Just ordered some steel eyelets and plugs to go inside them. Gonna hang at 4g for a while.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

Elysiana

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Make me Fibonacci
« Reply #4014 on: 10 Mar 2011, 07:41 »

Currently working my way through a Half Sleeve. Bonus points for people who recognise the different Species.
Man... I recognize some of these but I don't think I'd get the names and I definitely couldn't get specific. I do see oak with acorns in there (easy one). One looks like locust or ash... Birch or a cousin of it... Where do you live? I'm guessing not the US due to your spelling of "recognise" and in that case I probably won't get these :) May I ask what the significance is?

Papersatan

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #4015 on: 10 Mar 2011, 08:25 »

but if it was zipping off her skin to show what was under, wouldn't that be a statement against objectification?

Also when Steve got new plugs so did I. 

mine are Russian amazonite I think.  Love them!  They are a new color for me too.  So fresh and springy. 
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #4016 on: 10 Mar 2011, 09:52 »

Want.

Also, Aidan, I really like your tattoos! I've always liked old school plant studies and I've never seen them as tattoos before. Don't recognize the specific species, but still.

I submitted a photo of my zipper to fuckyeahtattoos the day I got it and it finally got published today. it has 769 likes/reblogs on it, most of them positive. There were a few saying I would regret it and wondering why I would get something like that.

Just a photo or also an explanation? I mean, it looks rad as is, but the reason why you got is like the icing on the cake. Maybe if they knew they wouldn't have such dumb comments.

Katherine

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #4017 on: 10 Mar 2011, 11:39 »

Papersatan, those are some really pretty plugs.

Adland, I love, love, love your sleeve!

I really want a tattoo of a bee, but I don't yet know where on my body I would want it, and I have yet to find the right design.  I want it to be rather small, so it can't be too detailed, but I don't want it to be too cartoony, either.  I can't draw well enough to draw my own, and I'm hesitant to ask any of my friends with artistic talent to draw something for fear that I won't like it.  So I continue to want.  Something will strike me as the right design one of these days, right?

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
« Reply #4018 on: 10 Mar 2011, 14:07 »

Linds, it was just a photo and a sentence saying how old it was. There are so many boring convoluted storied on there about tattoos commemorating their dead grandparents and all that shit and I just couldn't be bothered writing anything about it. I figure once I tell my family I will make a real tumblr post explaining it. I just found it funny that of all the tattoos on that tumblr, mine is pretty tame but this girl decided that I am going to regret it.

Also, I am thinking about going back to my plugs. I like my little bone spirals, but I think I like my plugs more? I might change them tomorrow.
Quote from: Drunk Pete
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #4019 on: 10 Mar 2011, 14:08 »

I always get people, even those with tattoos, being like "oh you're gonna regret that when you're 60" at first I tried to explain why I wouldn't, now I mess with them all and say "oh, no, I'm gonna off myself at 35 so I don't have to regret them"

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #4020 on: 10 Mar 2011, 14:34 »

I saw a woman today who was maybe 40 and had a half sleeve of really colourful flowers. I'm not usually a fan of flower tattoos, but she looked awesome as heck with it. I think as long as you take care of them so they don't fade and retouch them when they eventually do, age doesn't matter. I mean, when we're so old that our skin is all wrinkly and saggy it'll look pretty bad anyway, tattoo or not!
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #4021 on: 10 Mar 2011, 15:09 »

when we're so old that our skin is all wrinkly and saggy it'll look pretty bad anyway, tattoo or not!

Yea, right.  Just a warning to you young things - don't be overweight at all  after your, let's say, 50th birthday, because by my age even losing a little weight leads to wrinkles.  If your skin wasn't stretched beforehand, it's much less of a problem.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Papersatan

« Reply #4022 on: 10 Mar 2011, 15:16 »

so what you are telling me is I should not lose weight?  Just a slow gain for the next 60 years, then my skin will be pretty and tight.  what rate do you suppose one would have to gain to keep up with that?  5 a year? that'd only make me like 600 pounds.  I'm sure by then I'll be able to get some of those sweet Harkonnen fat lifters. 

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #4023 on: 10 Mar 2011, 15:21 »

Although I didn't think of myself as overweight really (82kg), I suddenly found I had good reason to lose weight (heart attack).  Now at 72kg after 18 months, I have, although not a severe case of saggy wrinkles, still more than I would like; feel better for it, though.  Meh.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

öde

« Reply #4024 on: 10 Mar 2011, 20:08 »

but if it was zipping off her skin to show what was under, wouldn't that be a statement against objectification?

Show me your intellect, quirks, and broad range of emotions, you dirty bitch

öde

« Reply #4025 on: 10 Mar 2011, 20:09 »

Talk politics to me, aww yeah

Adlan

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #4026 on: 11 Mar 2011, 04:47 »

Man... I recognize some of these but I don't think I'd get the names and I definitely couldn't get specific. I do see oak with acorns in there (easy one). One looks like locust or ash... Birch or a cousin of it... Where do you live? I'm guessing not the US due to your spelling of "recognise" and in that case I probably won't get these :) May I ask what the significance is?

I'm an Englishman, if that explains my dialect.
Three for three, impressed you got Ash and it's American relative. That many Bonus Points, + your standard points for being a QC fan gives you a real world total of.... *converts from British to American* About a Pint and a Half of Real Ale, redeemable in person, If that ever happens ;).

The Significance is many fold. 1. I have a Job for a year, and I wanted a Long project I could invest in. Hopefully get the colouring all done before my contract ends and I go back to uni.
 2. Last year, the Military cutbacks (I'm currently on a years leave from the OTC, which is part of the TA, which is like the reserves) meant I spent almost no time on exercise, and I really missed the outdoors, I got winterblues for the first time ever because I spent most of my time indoors, and so I want to always have a bit of Summer with me.
3. They are all native British tree's, and I plan on emigrating someday, I want to always have a bit of English Forrest with me.
4. Each tree I selected then has meaning
The Full List is:
Black Poplar (the big leaf at the top): There was a Black Poplar growing next to the farm house I grew up in. As Old as the House (a good 400+ years), and thick as anything due to centuries of coppicing. It blew down in a gale last year. It was the tree I used to climb and built a tree house and everything in.  But, despite it's death, it lives on. The Branches and Roots that weren't killed off when it fell, now grow up as a row of new trees. And I have the tattoo.

Ash and Oak are the two quintessentially English trees, and are a useful weather predictor, Oak before Ash, in for a Splash, Ash before Oak, in for a Soak.

I have a spray of Hawthorn just beneath the Black Poplar, with May Flower. Hawthorn is one of my favourite Hedgerows in the UK, I love eating Haw (which most people don't even think of as edible), and it's a lovely carving wood.

Underneath the Hawthorn is Blackthorn, also know as Sloe. One of the Ancestors of modern plums, used for making slow gin, which is the first drink I got illicitly drunk on. Blackthorn is what they make Shillelaghs from.

There's a Beech that is now coloured in as copper beech, underneath/next to that is Rowan, which has bright red berries. Rowan and Beech are both wild foods I like, and also Tolkien references. Copper Beech is Mallorn, and Rowan was made by the Ents as a gift for the Entwives.

Willow is the source of Salicylic Acid, which is what Asprin is derived from. I'm a Chemist, and so it's a reminder of the connection between the Natural and Synthetic.

Alder is an odd one, it's at the top next to the black poplar. I love this song:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZGlYIdv7Mo  by Alela Diane, and Alder added colour and variation by having the catkins, but it grows everywhere around my new place of work, which was nice, and it's catkin's are apparently edible, if not tasty.

I'm an Archer and Bowhunter, Bowyer and Fletcher, so How could I not Include Yew? It's (arguably) the best wood for bows.

Birch is a most useful tree, the tinder, and sap, the tar and assosiated fungus.

The Linden Tree is known to me as Lime, I have fond memories of me and my first GF on Limetree road, the Limes are also the wood I learned to whittle with. It's young leaves are also edible, and make a great salad filling for a burger.

I think that explains some of it. Eventually it'll have a background, but that'll be a long time coming. Should be a norse/celtic keywork pattern in a woad blue.

I also have a few other body mods, my first I posted up in this thread a few years back: http://forums.questionablecontent.net/index.php/topic,7913.msg697353.html#msg697353
the other is:
A Scarification I got Last year. It's healed up much too well now, and is just faint white lines. But I still like it. Kinda nice that it's slowly fading, like my body is slowly absorbing the flint (at least I won't get silicosis from that one).

Eventually my Flora Sleeve will be matched by my Collection of Fauna. It's interesting to look back on the first post I put in this thread, Lots of ideas I had back then. Still no peircings, and not likely to get any soon.

Elysiana

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Make me Fibonacci
« Reply #4027 on: 11 Mar 2011, 05:48 »

Very lovely, thanks for explaining! Glad I got a few right at least. I've heard of all these but I'm not familiar enough with hawthorn, blackthorn, linden, or alder - only because I didn't grow up around them. I'm a little peeved at not getting yew and poplar. I do better with plants than trees.

Anyway - extremely nice, and an excellently-done tattoo!

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #4028 on: 11 Mar 2011, 23:48 »

I'm starting to toy with the idea of getting a a quote from Carnivale tattooed on me. The writing for the show is awesome and I love words (I also hate optimistic and/or inspirational quote tattoos). The only thing is I don't know where I would get it on my body nor which quote I would like, though I've narrowed it down to the following three:

I will show you things. Wonderful, terrible things.

Not yet ravaged by the pain of broken dreams.

Pain is an unavoidable side-effect.

I'm probably going to go with the last one (if any of them) because it's something that actually resonates with me but the only place I can think to put it would be the inside of my left bicep and I don't know if I want it there really because it will clash, conceptually, with my super-villain sleeve.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Adlan

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #4029 on: 12 Mar 2011, 04:12 »

Pain is an unavoidable side-effect.

I'm probably going to go with the last one (if any of them) because it's something that actually resonates with me but the only place I can think to put it would be the inside of my left bicep and I don't know if I want it there really because it will clash, conceptually, with my super-villain sleeve.

I'm very wary of text tattoo's, because they are very explicit in what they mean, and if you change your mind and stop liking the source, it's just the most common thing I've found my friends regreting or getting covered up.

Pain is an unavoidable side-effect just strikes me as a rather witty tattoo, in the same vein as having The follies of youth, or similar tattooed, a self referencing irony.

Do you want the quote somewhere you can see it?

ackblom12

« Reply #4030 on: 12 Mar 2011, 08:04 »

Oh hey, so we checked on something with the Red Cross and apparently, in December 2010, they finally got rid of the silly refusal to let tattooed and pierced folks giving blood if they had work in the last 12 months.

On the other hand, they apparently also did a study on letting the gays give blood and determined there was little to no higher chance of issues, and they still decided not to remove that one. So dumb.

Adlan

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #4031 on: 12 Mar 2011, 08:34 »

Oh hey, so we checked on something with the Red Cross and apparently, in December 2010, they finally got rid of the silly refusal to let tattooed and pierced folks giving blood if they had work in the last 12 months.

In the UK It was a year, went down to 6 months, and is now down to 3 months, which is pretty good, as they only let you give every 4. So Now It's give blood, wait a week, get inked, wait untill you can give blood again. It's kick arse.

Still don't let gay people give blood though. They let them give Organs though  :roll:

Has the Red Cross given a reason? The NHS is still claiming it's because people people who've had Man to Man sex are more likely to have STD's, despite letting young straight people (another high risk group for STD's) give blood.

sean

• welp
« Reply #4032 on: 12 Mar 2011, 08:58 »

eeeek so i upsized my left ear to 0g a few days ago and i thought all was well but this morning i woke up and it hurt like a bitch and my earlobe is swollen as fuck and after i took the plug out there is bloodbloodbloodblood ewwwwwwwwwww. i've already salk-soaked and whatnot but this sucks, and im at my parents house now for the week and i dont have any plugs to downsize to BHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHderp
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

sean

• welp
« Reply #4033 on: 12 Mar 2011, 08:59 »

in other news my right ear has been at 0g for two weeks now and is healing perfectly, what the fuck left ear?

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #4034 on: 12 Mar 2011, 09:29 »

The NBS wouldn't let me give blood because I thought I might be lactose intolerant. What.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Papersatan

« Reply #4035 on: 12 Mar 2011, 14:37 »

The Red cross won't let you give blood here if you have lived in Britain either.   :-P   

The gay thing is the risk of HIV.  The thing is, a lot of people died here by receiving tainted blood when HIV was new, so the precautions were stiff for so long.  They study was done by the government, and recommended that the ban on gay men donating be upheld, but said that it should be revisited in favor of questions which ask about behavior, like un-protected encounters, regardless of gender.  The Red Cross actually wanted the ban lifted, but advocacy groups for those who rely on blood products to live did not. 

Adlan

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #4036 on: 12 Mar 2011, 17:18 »

The Red cross won't let you give blood here if you have lived in Britain either.   :-P   

BSE/CJD Paranoia. Ate beef on the bone throughout the crisis. Admittedly, I grew up on a livestock farm, so I had good beef, from known animals, but more likely to get fatally hit by lightening.

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #4037 on: 12 Mar 2011, 18:22 »

Pain is an unavoidable side-effect just strikes me as a rather witty tattoo, in the same vein as having The follies of youth, or similar tattooed, a self referencing irony.

Do you want the quote somewhere you can see it?

Somewhere I can see it or somewhere other people can see it? I don't really mind. My tattoos are largely for me anyway, even the ones that are in fairly easy to see areas. I'm starting to think it wouldn't really fit in with the general theme I seem to have going anyway. Oh well.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #4038 on: 12 Mar 2011, 18:25 »

It's a great idea, though! It's a good quote and relating it to tattoos as well is rather witty. I think it would work on the villains side, if you got it on your arm. It may come from a different place, but villains + pain makes sense. Is there anything on the inside of your bicep? Or even on your ribcage under the villain arm would work, too.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #4039 on: 12 Mar 2011, 19:49 »

get it on yr butt jimmy

calenlass

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • queefcicle!
« Reply #4040 on: 13 Mar 2011, 04:07 »

i was going to suggest dick
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #4041 on: 13 Mar 2011, 05:06 »

On the inside of my left bicep there is a blank space in-between where Mr Sinister ends and Magneto begins. It is a quote from the villain of Carnivale so I suppose it does fit. But then my need for symmetry and balance might mean I'll need a different quote for my "good" arm... Damn.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #4042 on: 13 Mar 2011, 07:23 »

Well, when you find a "good" quote, you have a place to put it.

Man. Looking at fuckyeahtattoos and talking to one of my friends about going with her when she gets hers, I really want a tattoo. I think if I got one when I went with my friend, I may get something small behind my ears. (They are small and easily hidden by hair, so I don't think I'd have a problem with them.) My friend is probably getting a design of a treble and bass clef, forming a heart shape, with a ladybug crawling on it. (Treble = my friend, bass = her husband, ladybug = her daughter Lucy.) I think behind one ear I'd get a simple ladybug, as Lucy is my goddaughter. I don't know what I'd get behind the other. Can't decide between an owl or a raven (two of my totem animals). But anywho, this also spawned from me looking at some portfolios of the parlor my friend is going to. She's going to probably book the latter, but I'm kind of in love with the watercolor/Japanese style of the first one.
« Last Edit: 13 Mar 2011, 07:35 by Linds »

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #4043 on: 13 Mar 2011, 16:36 »

Actually I don't, really. I suppose it could go under Archangel but the inside of my right bicep is taken up by Archangel's wing.

Katherine

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #4044 on: 13 Mar 2011, 17:09 »

I got my nose re-pierced yesterday, after letting it close up years ago when I went on a job interview.  I like the placement, but I am not fond of the size of the stud so when it heals up a bit, I'm going to change it out for something teeny tiny.

öde

« Reply #4045 on: 13 Mar 2011, 19:40 »

I don't understand the tiny nose studs! I think that size looks good, not too big, but not small enough to be mistaken for something accidentally stuck to your nose.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #4046 on: 13 Mar 2011, 20:23 »

I like smaller nose studs. They're very subtle, which can be a good thing.

sean

• welp
« Reply #4047 on: 13 Mar 2011, 20:41 »

goddamnit in my left ear i currently have about an 8g plug i rigged out of the inside of a pen. i cant find anything between that and 0g that is circular around my parents house.

this sucks

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #4048 on: 15 Mar 2011, 17:42 »

PARTY HARD

OBLIO HARD

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #4049 on: 15 Mar 2011, 19:31 »

Fun fact, the PARTY HARD tattoo is actually lined up with my actual ribs
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 97   Go Up