THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 12:12
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 97   Go Down

Author Topic: Der Tattoo Thread.  (Read 755834 times)

ackblom12

Re: Der Tattoo Thread.
« Reply #3900 on: 06 Feb 2011, 08:44 »

I've been wondering about tattoos lately. Is it best to get to a "goal weight" before you get something done on say your shoulders and back? I want to lose like 20 pounds or so so I may just weight until I get any work done lest my tattoo look ridiculous as hell.

Yeah, Just as Neko said, it shouldn't be a problem in the areas you're talking about.

Every time I try to stretch my ears to the next size up, I cannot do it because it is really painful. I take a hot shower, I even use jojoba oil, but still a bunch of pain. Do I just dealwithit.gif or am I doing something wrong here? I usually just go to my piercer after a couple tries and they do it, but I'm going up to 4g now and it is getting a bit ridiculous.

Jace, if anyone tells you that a little bit of actual pain and not "oh it is stretchy" is ok you should just make a note in your head that they are not reliable information for such things.

if you're having this many problems with it, it's just not read for stretching yet and you need to give it a week to settle down from th failed stretch, more if any actual physical damage was caused, and do one of the following.

1. Give it more time.

If you want you're ears to do natural stretching, you've got to be incredibly patient. When some folks are saying 3 - 6 months between stretches they aren't joking. The smallest sizes can typically go much faster but most folk have a point where there ears just get more and more stubborn about it nd take that much longer to move. Heavier jewelry can speed this up, though I wouldn't recommend something like ear weights as the uneven pressure isn't necesrilly good for them if you don't know your body that and are comfortable with how long is long enough. Tapers are great as long as you are ready for the stretch, Pain should not be occurring. Tapering shouldn't really take more than a few minutes to do and if it is taking longer you might need to just wait a bit.

2. Taping!

now, if you've given your ears a good 6 weeks between stretches (sometimes a lot more depending on your current size) and you are eager to move up there is another option that I can recommend and that is taping. Go to the store, buy yourself a pack of Plumbers Tape, also known as Teflon Tape, and what you'll wanna do is put 1 - 2 layers on the plug one day, oil it until the tape is see through and put it in your ear.. If it is easy to put in maybe put 1 more layer on and see how it feels. Then do it again the next day. If it is tight putting it in and not quite ready for the next size, make it 2 - 3 days later. Give your ears time to adjust. Repeat this procedure for a few days (I recommend having calipers handy for both starting and ending) until you get to the next gauge size. Or the next common wearable size once you hit the large sizes of course.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese
« Reply #3901 on: 06 Feb 2011, 08:49 »

Stretching with plugs can work at smaller sizes. But as you go up, the difference between the sizes gets larger. A taper (or tapering spiral, which I like) is really your best bet at this point. Once you get to 00g, if you're going that far, you can start using bondage tape and wrapping it around your plugs. This is so much better, but it's really tough to do it with the smaller plugs.

The key here is to ease into the bigger size. And I don't mean a couple hours - I mean give it days if need be. That's why I like the spirals. I can leave them in with o-rings and just slowly push them a little further each day. It's easier for you to tear your lobes at this point, and it will be harder to heal if you do tear one. It doesn't heal like a regular cut somewhere else on your body, it takes forever and itches and burns.

I'd suggest giving your lobes a few days to heal. Warm salt water soaks for a day or two, then oil and massage for another day or two. Then after a hot shower, slowly push a taper in as far as it will go. It shouldn't hurt at all, just be mildly uncomfortable.

Ackblom posted before I could, and said a lot of the same stuff - but I really have to recommend bondage tape, not plumber's tape. If I'm correct (and tell me if I'm not!), it has adhesive. Bondage tape has no adhesive, it only sticks to itself, meaning that it's less likely to irritate.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

ackblom12

« Reply #3902 on: 06 Feb 2011, 08:53 »

nope, Plumbers tape does not have adhesive.

Bondage Tape and Teflon Tape are actually the exact same thing in practice. The main difference is that bondage tape is thicker than teflon tape. like, one layer of bondage tape is pretty easily 2 layers of teflon, possibly slightly more. I'm not sure if Bondage tape is the same material, I've never been able to find that exact info, but they both only stick to themselves and I suspect they are. And yeah, tape can be frustrating to work with, especially at smaller sizes, but seriously it is your best bet at this point if you're having problems with a stretch after a hot shower.
« Last Edit: 06 Feb 2011, 08:55 by ackblom12 »

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #3903 on: 06 Feb 2011, 10:07 »

Oh, awesome. I'm sure the plumber's tape is cheaper, too. Bondage tape is like $15 a roll or something. As far as I can tell it's some sort of latex-y material, like latex fetish clothing is made out of. I like it, but thinner would be nicer. Maybe I'll get some of that for my stretch - I'm still stuck at 00g because my friend will not return my weights so I can stretch back to 3/4" where I was for like 3 years.
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

ackblom12

« Reply #3904 on: 06 Feb 2011, 10:59 »

yeah it's something like $.99 for a single roll or if you can find a 6 pack you can get that for something like $2 - $3. You'll probably go through a decent amount your first couple of tries with it just because it's so thin and so prone to static cling. Just make sure to wrap it as tight as you comfortably can on the plug when you do. Once you got it down it's pretty quick work though.

Papersatan

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #3905 on: 06 Feb 2011, 11:25 »

Also the plummer's tape is the right width for plugs so you only have to cut the length.

Tape gets funky pretty quickly and you can't wash the plugs with tape on, so be diligent about adding a layer every few days.  The tape also absorbs a lot of oil, so make sure you are putting enough on.  Also oil your ears everyday while the plugs are taped. 

My ears hate tape and I find that I can't wear it for more than a week, and sometimes that's not enough to stretch a full size for me.  I try to buy some cheap plugs that are in between sizes to wear in the middle.  Again, calipers are awesome for this.  You can find them on Amazon for like 15 bux. 
[12:07] ackblom12: hi again honey
[12:08] ackblom12: I'm tired of lookin at that ugly little face

Rizzo

• Bling blang blong blung
  • R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
« Reply #3906 on: 06 Feb 2011, 14:22 »

Yeah, I swear by using spirals to stretch slowly. I've taken about 2 years to go from 4mm to 12mm so slow is key. However my ears look sweet, no blowouts or weirdness and the skin is nice and even.
Teflon tape works pretty well but I got so frustrated by the static cling that I stopped using it. I imagine it would be better sizes over 8mm. I was using it to go from 4 to 6.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Sometimes I feel like everyone around me is some sort of statistical/mathematical genuis and I'm hitting a gazelle in the head with a rock and screaming at the sky when there's a storm.

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
« Reply #3907 on: 07 Feb 2011, 18:11 »

I talked to a guy about my tattoo today (I have been worrying about it in gabbly for the past few days, so sorry if I am repeating myself). The guy seemed really nice! I told him the situation and showed him the picture of what I wanted. He made a small suggestion, which made sense, and told me how long he thought it would take. He said it will probably take 2 hours max, and they charge $180/hour, so it will probably be around $350 all up, which is much less than I was expecting, for some reason. He said I can ask for breaks if it gets too much, or do it in two sittings if I want, but that I would probably would want it all over at once, which is really true. All good talk.

Then he asked me when I wanted it done. I froze and said something like "aaaaaaI don't know? Sometime soon but not too soon? Can I think about it?" He seemed a little amused, but he has probably seen nervous people backpedalling from making a decision plenty of times. He gave me a card with his details and said for me to give him a call when I decide and remind him who I am and he'll set something up. I could get it as soon as in the next few weeks.

Fuck I am scared now; this is happening much quicker than I anticipated. I guess it's not that surprising, seeing at the place I am going to has only just recently started doing tattoos, so they wouldn't be booked out. I still wasn't expecting him to essentially say, "so, next week good for you?" I really want ben to be there with me, which will mean him having to take at least the afternoon off work, but I was talking to a girl I work with and she said she wasn't allowed to go in when her friend was getting tattooed, so maybe he won't be allowed? So scared/nervous/confused.
Quote from: Drunk Pete
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #3908 on: 07 Feb 2011, 18:23 »

I've gone with two friends to get their tattoos. I'm sure it just depends on the shop. You can always call and ask the front desk person about it.

I'd really like my tattoos soon. I'm becoming less and less of a wuss about needles (the big reason I stopped getting piercings for a while, I freaked myself out about it) as I get more blood tests and IVs and whatnot. So maybe now is the time? I just want a few ferret paws down my hip, so it wouldn't take too long or be too expensive. And I have a whole lot of chub on the hips, so it shouldn't hurt too bad? Maybe?

I want new piercings but I dunno if I could get them. I want a bridge and a smiley. Neither of which are necessarily work-approved.

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #3909 on: 07 Feb 2011, 18:25 »

Last time I went with a friend to get tattooed, there were five us in there and we ate dinner with dessert and had beers. The artist can't drink and work but we stuck around after the piece was done to have a drink with him. Man that was a good summer.
I can't imagine them keeping your significant fella out.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #3910 on: 07 Feb 2011, 20:37 »

I'm debating about getting about getting another set of holes in my ears. But I'd want them pierced at 10g again and I don't know if that's a good idea or not. I can't get them done now anyways, but I like the look of a small and medium gauge in each lobe...
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #3911 on: 07 Feb 2011, 23:00 »

I think I've had 2 tattooing sessions where I haven't had a friend or S.O. present?

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #3912 on: 08 Feb 2011, 05:31 »

What are you worried about, with a 10g piercing? I had my septum pierced at that size, no problem. It heals easier, and you get to skip stretching. The only thing is the needle looks huge so don't look at it!

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #3913 on: 08 Feb 2011, 08:51 »

My current holes were pierced at 10g. I'm not afraid of needles, at all, I'm just wondering if it's a good idea to do that or to stretch up. Mostly because of what will happen if I decide/need to take them out. Also my lobes are kind of small and I don't know if they'd fit or not.

Meh. Maybe I'll wait until I'm done with my degree and see how conservative of a school I end up working at. I want more piercings and I want at least one tattoo, but I'm poor now and who knows what will happen down the line. I may not have to worry about anything at all!

elizaknowswhatshesfor

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #3914 on: 09 Feb 2011, 02:17 »

I've only been on my own for one tattoo & that was at a mates house. The idea that anyone would not let someone sit with you is crazy.

If you are nervous you will not sit as well as if you are calm. Simple. If it's a question of distracting the artist I'm sure that would only need to be raised if it became a problem at the time.

Unless it's a tiny shop & space issue? I just cannot see why any artist would have a problem.....
You do. You need pants. Put on some fucking pants. Why aren't you wearing pants?

calenlass

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • queefcicle!
« Reply #3915 on: 09 Feb 2011, 13:52 »

I think if space is that much of an issue, the artist will be hurting for elbow room anyway, right?
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #3916 on: 09 Feb 2011, 16:46 »

Got my septum pierced!

Also I have ordered some magnets.

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
« Reply #3917 on: 10 Feb 2011, 19:49 »

Well, it has been booked. 1st of March, at 1pm, I will be getting all tattooed up. Fuck me that is close. I guess that will give me less time to get terrified about it.
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

jodizzle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Stairs will tear us apart
« Reply #3918 on: 11 Feb 2011, 00:50 »

Yessssssssssssss Hannah that is awesome exciting!
Quote from: Hannah in Meebly
you it be the mics taht are broked?
Quote from: ViolentDove
But then again, I used to dress like the bastard child of a drug-addled punk and a shrubbery.

Elysiana

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Make me Fibonacci
« Reply #3919 on: 11 Feb 2011, 14:20 »

Congrats! Are you nervous about actually getting it done, or more that you won't like it later? I LOVED getting mine done. I hate needles and I hate pain, but getting that tat was a really great rush.

My first (and only) was one I drew and it's just too simple for my taste and outdated because of course I did something tribal since that's easy and I suck at drawing. Even though I'm not keen on it anymore, I definitely don't regret it. I kind of see it as a snapshot of who I was at the time. I want another so badly, but I really don't know what I would get next. I kind of don't want to think about that until I have the money to do it.

I just realized I don't even remember the last time I actually looked at it. It's a tramp stamp (not because I wanted a tramp stamp, but because I drew the design and then had to figure out where to put it, and that was the only place that made sense for the shape) and well, I don't really look at my back.

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
« Reply #3920 on: 11 Feb 2011, 14:27 »

I am nervous about getting it done. I was the same with my lip piercing, in that I decided to get it done but on the day I felt like I was going to throw up and kept trying to not go do it. Ben had to give me a little push to get me to go into the piercing shop, because I just kept standing there looking at the doorway. I told him he needs to take the day off work, so he can be there for support but also to make sure I eat something before my appointment.

I will be fine in the end, though. I always get super super nervous about things but when the time comes I suck it up and generally am alright. I am just scared it's gonna hurt a lot, or I'm gonna twitch a lot and make it hard for the tattooist.
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

Elysiana

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • Make me Fibonacci
« Reply #3921 on: 11 Feb 2011, 14:48 »

I'm the same way... I worry myself sick over things that end up not being so bad.

I have REALLY sensitive skin so I was very scared about my tattoo. I mean, it's a pain that you can't exactly prepare for because you have no idea what it will feel like. For me, it felt like someone took their fingernail and scraped against my skin hard and slowly - uncomfortable, but honestly not that bad. When he got to my love handles it felt a bit more like a sharp knife, but still not intolerable.

Breathing exercises help! And don't be afraid to ask for breaks, especially when you first get started and are getting used to how it feels. Make yourself get through five minutes at a time, and after a while you won't even need any breaks.

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #3922 on: 11 Feb 2011, 19:29 »

Hannah. Codeine. It takes the edge off of the pain, doesn't thin your blood so bleeding won't be a problem and you don't need a prescription (you do need to explain to the pharmacist why you want it though.) Apparently it is mildly addictive so I wouldn't keep taking them after the session is over but yeah, I'm don't have a high pain tolerance but with codeine I can sit through a 5.5 hour session with only a few breaks!
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #3923 on: 11 Feb 2011, 23:35 »

What kind of codeine did you take?  I have nurofen plus and panadeine extra which both contain codeine, but did you get something stronger than that?

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #3924 on: 12 Feb 2011, 00:09 »

Panadeine extra. I think it's something like 500mg of paracetamol and 16mg of codeine. If you're able to take ibuprofen (I can't apparently) then that might work better for you.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #3925 on: 12 Feb 2011, 19:25 »

hannah i am super twitchy (or i was before i went on anti-anxiety medication) and i have kind of a few tattoos (mostly the ones i have are just pretty big). the artist should know how to deal, since it's a pretty common thing. it usually happens (in my case i guess) when you are super tense and kinda unconsciously flexing your muscles. i brought in an ipod and a friend the second time and focused on my breathing and meditation/relaxation techniques and it was way better. i also brought a soda and two candy bars (one for my artist).
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #3926 on: 12 Feb 2011, 22:49 »

I just dealwithit.gif

I guess I just have a pretty high pain tolerance. I want another tattoo, and I should be getting one soon as I'm getting my tax return back soonish.
Rizzla: Man... I'm only interested in girls who've had penises.
Rizzla: Fuck
Rizzla: I mean girls who have penises.

ackblom12

« Reply #3927 on: 14 Feb 2011, 09:10 »

Magnets have been ordered.

I was going to put the actual procedure off for a couple of months so that I could get my tongue done while I was in NYC, but unfortunately the dude won't be in state at the time. Twattage. I will get that finished up ne day damnit!

öde

« Reply #3928 on: 14 Feb 2011, 09:20 »

Are they Parylene coated? Where are you putting them?

ackblom12

« Reply #3929 on: 14 Feb 2011, 09:26 »

yeah, PArylene coated already, going to be putting an extra bio-proofing layer of sugru as well. And I'm planning on all 4 fingertips of my right hand as of right now. Might add more to the same hand on the other digits of the fingers if these work out and aren't too obtrusive to every day usage of my hands.

öde

« Reply #3930 on: 14 Feb 2011, 09:29 »

They only work in the tips, apparently. Or your dick! Put them in your dick.

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #3931 on: 14 Feb 2011, 11:14 »

Codeine ... is mildly addictive

It is an opiate, dawg. Hydrocodone is the drug; codeine and vicodin are brand names.
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

amok

• Duck attack survivor
  • low AI ketamine android
« Reply #3932 on: 14 Feb 2011, 11:16 »

Close. Codeine is a drug (it's the orig./generic name). Hydrocodone is a diff. drug marketed as Vicodin among others.

edwinalink

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Likes Glitter and 4x4's
« Reply #3933 on: 14 Feb 2011, 11:17 »

I am so allergic to Codeine a single pill can kill me.

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #3934 on: 14 Feb 2011, 14:23 »

Codeine ... is mildly addictive

It is an opiate, dawg. Hydrocodone is the drug; codeine and vicodin are brand names.

1) You're wrong but Amok already covered that (the codeine tablets I take are branded as Panadeine and are 500mg paracetamol and 16mg codeine). 2) How was this worth posting? I can't tell if you're trying to contradict me or if you're trying to agree with me while being all snooty.

Ballard

• Older than Moses
  • This is my happening and it freaks me out!
« Reply #3935 on: 14 Feb 2011, 14:30 »

I think she's saying "no shit it's addictive" because all opiates are close to distant relatives of heroin.
I'm like the boy who cried "you guys are faggots"

ackblom12

« Reply #3936 on: 14 Feb 2011, 16:27 »

They only work in the tips, apparently. Or your dick! Put them in your dick.

Well, they can work, but it requires larger magnets. I know several folks have gotten them in the back of their hands for example. From what I gather it is a very different sensation.

I would be ok with pulling bottle caps across the table with my dick though.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #3937 on: 14 Feb 2011, 18:54 »

I would definitely be okay with that too.

ackblom12

« Reply #3938 on: 22 Feb 2011, 14:23 »

Magnets came in!

That's all 100 of them.

tania

• famed sex columnist
« Reply #3939 on: 22 Feb 2011, 15:31 »

i am also completely okay with the direction this thread is now going
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

Papersatan

« Reply #3940 on: 22 Feb 2011, 15:53 »

does it look like that one halfway through the top stack is damaged? you should check that. 

scarred

• Older than Moses
« Reply #3941 on: 22 Feb 2011, 17:16 »

Magnets came in!

That's all 100 of them.

how do they work
tumblr | wordpress | last.fm

Quote from: De_El
nick is a dick so you don't have to be!

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #3942 on: 22 Feb 2011, 17:30 »

I finally got my weights back so I can stretch my ears again! Woo! Now I just need a few plugs between 00g and 3/4". So exciteeddddd. I miss my big lobes.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #3943 on: 22 Feb 2011, 18:55 »

Magnets came in!

That's all 100 of them.

how do they work

A+

Papersatan

« Reply #3944 on: 22 Feb 2011, 19:16 »

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #3945 on: 22 Feb 2011, 22:54 »

I just dealwithit.gif

except twitching isn't caused by your pain tolerance at all. mine is because of, like i said, you flex your muscles also i am on anti-anxiety drugs and twitching is a very common side effect.
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #3946 on: 22 Feb 2011, 23:00 »

I just dealwithit.gif

except twitching isn't caused by your pain tolerance at all. mine is because of, like i said, you flex your muscles also i am on anti-anxiety drugs and twitching is a very common side effect.
I don't remember the context of this/too lazy to look it up. I actually had my arm tense up a bunch getting my half sleeve worked on because I had two done on my chest first, so it was a long day.
also:

Okay, so I just got my 4g plugs in. Just oiled them up and slid them in. Slight resistance, more from the left, as expected.
Currently experiencing mild discomfort in both lobes, but not outright pain. A few weeks and then silicone tunnels woo!
Just a little concerned about tearing in the left lobe because it is a bit more fussy.
Also I didn't do it after a shower and had much quicker success. I think my skin shrinks fairly fast when wet or something.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #3947 on: 23 Feb 2011, 06:22 »

Just keep your lobes oiled and do soaks when it feels uncomfortable and you should be fine. I did a salt soak as soon as I put my 4g's in and that alone got rid of most of the discomfort.

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #3948 on: 23 Feb 2011, 06:26 »

H2Ocean spray can help a lot too, even though it's not warm. But a warm saltwater soak is my favorite thing ever.

Are you stretching with silicone tunnels, or just stretching up to them?

Jace

• Older than Moses
  • Dealing with it.
« Reply #3949 on: 23 Feb 2011, 08:05 »

Just up to them. Stretching with them is bad news.
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 97   Go Up