THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 03:50
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 97   Go Down

Author Topic: Der Tattoo Thread.  (Read 755497 times)

Chrasstor

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • ?Four dollars and x amount of cents
Re: Der Tattoo Thread.
« Reply #350 on: 10 Dec 2007, 19:09 »

My friend got a tattoo when he was 14.

Canada is pretty awesome, minus the grueling cold winters.

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #351 on: 10 Dec 2007, 19:25 »

New Hampshire's legal age of consent for tattoos is seventeen at most. Many places will not actually tattoo anyone under eighteen, but it is, in fact, legal to tattoo a seventeen year old up there (At least last I checked when I lived up there).

Also, bitchin' tattoo, PQ. How much did that run you? I've been planning to get a half sleeve shot of a panel of Wolverine, Cable and Bishop from the first comic (Likely just black ink as well) I ever bought as a kid and I'm looking to gauge how much that's going to set me back (A lot, I'm figuring).
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

ThePQ4

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #352 on: 10 Dec 2007, 19:32 »

Well, okay here's the thing: Whoever you go to isn't going to charge the same way my guy does. They shop I go to has pretty cheap prices. He doesn't go by the hour or anything, just kind of the size, the time, the whole amount of work that needs to be done, and sticks a price tag on it --Storm cost $240. My Dark Mark: $120. My Rogue: $260. But this is Small-town Wisconsin, so the pricing and the shops you go to around you will be different.  When I was looking at getting my Rogue, a lot of the other shops I went to wanted between 350-400 to do it (!!). But shop by quality, not by price.

goddamn it, I am getting preachy again.

But anyway that sounds like a totally friggin' cool idea. That's gonna look awesome. I want to get a Wolverine on the back of my other leg, but I haven't found the "right one" yet.

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #353 on: 10 Dec 2007, 19:52 »

Oh, don't worry. I know plenty in terms of how to properly price generally, I'm just doing preliminary ballparking. I do have two so far and put a good six years of research into it before even outright committing to those. I grew up in NH and will likely get everything I plan to do done there. There's so many tattoo shops in NH due to the high biker population that it's easy enough to price-watch while maintaining quality.

Here's a shot of the panel I'm planning on using for the tattoo:

Though I've occasionally flip-flopped between that and the cover of the issue in question (X-Men #15).

In terms of the "right one" regarding Wolverine, I'd recommend something from John Byrne, Andy Kubert (Who did the above image) or Jim Lee. I don't think anyone's ever done as many iconic Wolverine shots as those three. What era are you looking for (Logan, classic blue and gold, brown and gold or something more modern?).

My best recommendation on what I, as someone who's been reading X-Men comics since he was eight, would recommend as the single most definitive Wolverine image would be the following (By John Byrne):

With a slight bit of modification to the image from a solid artist, you could get a nice tearing through the leg vibe and it's really one of the most absolutely iconic images of Wolverine out there.
JON MADE ME GAY

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #354 on: 10 Dec 2007, 19:54 »

...jesus goddamn you're lucky you're a sexy man, because that tattoo would make a lesser dude basically unfuckable.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

ThePQ4

« Reply #355 on: 10 Dec 2007, 20:14 »

Well, i am thinking something a little newer, in a black uniform (I detest the yellow and blue uniform, to be honest...), and I am looking to get something that will fit nicely on the back of my leg, similarly to how my Rogue already fits. I want them to kind of "match". Right now, I am thinking about this one (I know: hypocrisy...): http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/ThePQ4/51949-wolverine_400.jpg but I am kind of "eh", about it.

I am seriously considering taking in my Wolverine action figure and saying: "Do this only less Hugh Jackson!", however, that would be odd. But entertaining!

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #356 on: 10 Dec 2007, 20:26 »

You could always go for the new look they're using:

JON MADE ME GAY

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #357 on: 10 Dec 2007, 20:37 »

Ugh, how awful and lumpy and batman-esque is that?? Not a fan.

PS for fun, watch Hugh Jackman in Xmen, then immediately in Oklahoma. I had to watch a filmed version for a theater class and kept waiting for the part where he accidentally claws the hell out of Laurie mid-song:D
Denn Du Bist, Was Du Isst   (you are what you eat)
also, related to burning stuff: a friend threw up on a hot water heater once, the vomit steam burned her face. awesome!

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #358 on: 10 Dec 2007, 21:08 »

I'm pretty sure the entire U.S. is "You Must be 18", the only state holding out on tattoos all together (I believe) was Oklahoma but they changed the law last year, so we're all good to go.

Like RWS(I think...) said, in a lot of places, it is legal with parental consent. But it really does vary state to state. I know, most of the tattoo shops here wouldn't even let you in the doors if you were underage not too long ago.

Anyway, I am considering getting a number of different cephalopods, as well as a few other deep sea creatures. Maybe a squid attacking a ship or something too.
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

thehollow

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #359 on: 10 Dec 2007, 22:25 »

I've thought about getting a tattoo before but I haven't really decided what I want or if I really even want one. They're pretty permanent. If I were to get one, I had a couple of ideas in mind:

it's the (slightly modified) coat of arms of the city I lived in when I studied in spain a couple years ago. It's a pretty small picture, and I dunno how big it would need to be to get all the details in.

this is the Ross clan family crest, my mother's side of the family. Also, Ross is my middle name.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #360 on: 10 Dec 2007, 22:48 »

I love that picture. It's almost every single thing I hate about comic book art condensed down into one panel.

Ridiculous generic "comic book pose" I-just-traced-this-out-of-my-own-portfolio posturing? Check.
Hidden feet, because apparently nobody working in mainstream comics can draw shoes? Check.
Arms and shoulders bigger than people's heads? Check.
POUCHES EVERYWHERE??? CHECK.

W-wolverine's still cool though, right?
   /
 :-D
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

SeanBateman

« Reply #361 on: 10 Dec 2007, 23:12 »

Is that really Kubert? It completely looks like Liefield.

DonInKansas

• FIGHT YOU
  • Grammar Nazi
« Reply #362 on: 10 Dec 2007, 23:24 »

Here's mine.  Sorry for the crappy photo quality.  Got it done 6 years ago; The Scorpion for my sign, and the yin-yang to balance it out, as I like to think I'm a little more level headed than your "average Scorpio."
I mean, it would still suck, but at least it would suck creatively.

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #363 on: 10 Dec 2007, 23:38 »

Sorry man, but I snickered out loud at that image. Please tell me it's not very large...
also, related to burning stuff: a friend threw up on a hot water heater once, the vomit steam burned her face. awesome!

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #364 on: 10 Dec 2007, 23:46 »

Is that really Kubert? It completely looks like Liefield.

I also thought it was Liefield.  On the basis of super hero tats I kind of want to get the new Zoom tattooed on my person

or at the very least his red lightening bolt with the black circle

0bsessions

• Quiki
« Reply #365 on: 11 Dec 2007, 06:13 »

Nope, definitely Kubert. Liefeld had parted ways with Marvel to help draw all the shoulder pads for Image a few months prior to that storyline.
JON MADE ME GAY

ThePQ4

« Reply #366 on: 11 Dec 2007, 07:17 »

You could always go for the new look they're using:
(Insert scary pic here)

I will definantly be passing on that one... Scaaaaary
I really like the Ultimate costumes, but not the art so much... I think it would be hilarious to Evolution-Wolverine tattoo'd on my person. I originally wanted a sketch of Rogue from the show, but then I fell in love with the cover art that I actually got.

Some day, the perfect Wolverine will fall into my lap. And it will be awesome.

Rizzo

• Bling blang blong blung
  • R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
« Reply #367 on: 12 Dec 2007, 21:17 »

Made my booking today. 25th of January. Woo!
p.s. All your tattoos are ugly and badly done/crappy cameras that don't do them justice.
« Last Edit: 12 Dec 2007, 21:28 by Rizzo »
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Sometimes I feel like everyone around me is some sort of statistical/mathematical genuis and I'm hitting a gazelle in the head with a rock and screaming at the sky when there's a storm.

Ballard

• Older than Moses
  • This is my happening and it freaks me out!
« Reply #368 on: 13 Dec 2007, 03:42 »

Sorry man, but I snickered out loud at that image. Please tell me it's not very large...

Looks like that's his upper left back. So it's pretty big.
I'm like the boy who cried "you guys are faggots"

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #369 on: 13 Dec 2007, 09:27 »

:( :(

Westrunner

« Reply #370 on: 13 Dec 2007, 10:45 »

It's all about the significance. I have a good friend who worked at a wildlife preserve and had a life changing experience rehabilitating a melanistic leopard; aka black panther. He got a tattoo of a picture of the cat on his calf and sadly it looks like every cheesy panther tattoo people get, but for him it's huge. So I'm cool with whatever people want. Your body, scorpion or whatever.

Anyone know a good place to get decent Kanji characters for tattoos? I haven't found a good recommendation off of Hanzi Smatter and I really like the idea of Kanji; an old massive language with beautiful characters.

Either that or "999 dead bluds" across my stomach with a pic of my favorite gat underneath.

I is Grammar

• Furry furrier
  • Advocatus diaboli
« Reply #371 on: 14 Dec 2007, 14:07 »

Just out of curiosity, Westrunner...can you read Kanji?  I mean, as in read it well?  Because if you can't, or if the language has no significance to you, please oh god please don't get a Kanji tattoo. 
I've got a small sticky-out scar like a third nipple just under my right manboob from where I was bitten by another kid in Year 3.

Rizzo

• Bling blang blong blung
  • R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
« Reply #372 on: 14 Dec 2007, 19:41 »

A-fucking-men. I can read Kanji reasonably proficiently and I'd never consider getting a kanji tattoo.
Get an olde English one instead :P Ya know, Beowulf and what not. It's still an ancient language but at least you won't look like another Westerner with a tattoo they can't read.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Sometimes I feel like everyone around me is some sort of statistical/mathematical genuis and I'm hitting a gazelle in the head with a rock and screaming at the sky when there's a storm.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #373 on: 14 Dec 2007, 19:44 »

Get that passage from "The Canterbury Tales" that uses the word cunt
For certeyn, olde dotard, by your leave/You shall have queynte right enough at eve . . . What aileth you to grouche thus and groan?/Is it for ye would have my queynte alone?
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Westrunner

« Reply #374 on: 15 Dec 2007, 15:19 »

Just out of curiosity, Westrunner...can you read Kanji?  I mean, as in read it well?  Because if you can't, or if the language has no significance to you, please oh god please don't get a Kanji tattoo. 

I have always really enjoyed Kanji, I think it's the most beautiful written language and I think it far superior to actually getting English tattooed on your body. For example, I have a buddy who is a serene motherfucker. He has Peaceful in Kanji in the middle of his chest, and it looks awesome. Now if he actually had the word "Peace" or "serenity" or whatever tattooed on him, in 36 point Times New Roman, I contend it would look retarded. I don't want a phrase, I just want an idea, and the world's most common language* has a universal quality I really enjoy. So it does have some significance for me. In the long run I'd actually like to have several languages Inked, but I haven't worked out how I want it done just yet.

*Including derivative languages.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #375 on: 15 Dec 2007, 20:22 »

My friends got me a $220 tattoo voucher for my birthday, so I'm getting this. I'm booked in for the 28th of March next year though, cos the place is really busy (although that's cos they're also really good, so I don't mind)

It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

ackblom12

« Reply #376 on: 15 Dec 2007, 20:39 »

You will join me in the brotherhood. Exxxxxcellent.

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #377 on: 16 Dec 2007, 19:56 »

That's pretty awesome. I have recently thrown out my skull tatt idea on the basis that it isn't something I want on me for the rest of my life and also I will be getting better looking skulls on my forearms anyway so I don't care. But depending on how I feel about it in winter I might get this on my left shoulder.

Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

thegreatbuddha

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #378 on: 17 Dec 2007, 01:35 »

If I were to get a professionaly-done tattoo, it would be a blue lion wearing a crown, forelegs raised sinister,over a white and blue diamond pattern, with Sentia pro factum in scrollwork underneath
« Last Edit: 17 Dec 2007, 11:58 by thegreatbuddha »
I want to be able to tell my kids about the days when the internet was an uncontrolled haven for outlaws such as myself.
Kind of like the old west but with keyboards and nobody is having sex.

SeanBateman

« Reply #379 on: 17 Dec 2007, 06:55 »

That's pretty awesome. I have recently thrown out my skull tatt idea on the basis that it isn't something I want on me for the rest of my life and also I will be getting better looking skulls on my forearms anyway so I don't care. But depending on how I feel about it in winter I might get this on my left shoulder.

This would be more awesome if you just got the X and let people figure it out.

That Geek Life tattoo is fucking retarded.

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #380 on: 17 Dec 2007, 18:54 »

Should I have mentioned that I'm not actually getting the text? Because it actually is just going to be the X on my shoulder. I'm still thinking about placement though. Because when I say shoulder I actually mean like on the joint rather than on my shoulder blade or on my upper arm.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #381 on: 17 Dec 2007, 19:33 »

That Geek Life tattoo is fucking retarded.

refresh my memory, someone already did it and posted it on this forum right?  I remember staring at a picture of someones belly that made me want to vomit, whether or not there was a Geek Life tattoo eludes me

ackblom12

« Reply #382 on: 17 Dec 2007, 19:51 »

You might be talking about mine.

Posted it a while back.

I swear showering was all kinds of awkward due to the shaved torso. It felt like I was molesting a 13 year old boy every time i washed.

Edit: Jesus Christ on a stick that's much larger than I anticipated.
« Last Edit: 17 Dec 2007, 19:53 by ackblom12 »

SeanBateman

« Reply #383 on: 17 Dec 2007, 20:49 »

Man that really is a really bad tattoo.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #384 on: 17 Dec 2007, 21:01 »

I am sorry but unless Japanese is your native tongue or you can at least read/speak it comfortably getting a kanji tattoo is retarded

Getting the kanji for "peaceful" tattooed on your chest is THE SAME THING as getting "peaceful" in 32pt Times New Roman. Only it's in a language you can't read. It's not deeper, or more artistic, or a celebration of another culture, or anything. IT'S A WORD ON YOUR BODY. If it means so much to you it shouldn't matter what language it's in, so why not get it done in a language you can actually read?

I would actually have mad respect for a dude with "PEACEFUL" tattooed across his chest in like 240pt gangbanger font.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

ruyi

• Beyoncé
« Reply #385 on: 17 Dec 2007, 21:09 »

I have always really enjoyed Kanji, I think it's the most beautiful written language and I think it far superior to actually getting English tattooed on your body. For example, I have a buddy who is a serene motherfucker. He has Peaceful in Kanji in the middle of his chest, and it looks awesome. Now if he actually had the word "Peace" or "serenity" or whatever tattooed on him, in 36 point Times New Roman, I contend it would look retarded. I don't want a phrase, I just want an idea, and the world's most common language* has a universal quality I really enjoy. So it does have some significance for me. In the long run I'd actually like to have several languages Inked, but I haven't worked out how I want it done just yet.

*Including derivative languages.

kanji is not a language, nor does it have anything derivative of it. it is a script derived from sinographs.

also, you shouldn't be making a distinction between phrase and idea.

you are romanticizing kanji, and that is what is retarded. there is nothing about kanji that is superior or more beautiful than the latin alphabet.
« Last Edit: 17 Dec 2007, 21:12 by ruyi »

ackblom12

« Reply #386 on: 17 Dec 2007, 21:13 »

Man that really is a really bad tattoo.

Why thank you!

dr.sangaygupta

« Reply #387 on: 17 Dec 2007, 21:34 »

I think one of the coolest tattoos was of a figure no bigger than 2 inches cutting the hair off of my co-workers hair on his chest witha push mower. he'd always shave the little patch into the spot where the little guy was.(I lifeguard, so I'd see this on a fairly regular basis.).
« Last Edit: 17 Dec 2007, 21:36 by dr.sangaygupta »

ruyi

• Beyoncé
« Reply #388 on: 17 Dec 2007, 21:35 »

Anyone know a good place to get decent Kanji characters for tattoos? I haven't found a good recommendation off of Hanzi Smatter and I really like the idea of Kanji; an old massive language with beautiful characters.

how can you read hanzi smatter and still describe kanji that way?

öde

« Reply #389 on: 17 Dec 2007, 21:44 »

I am going to get a full back tattoo of Ruyi.

ruyi

• Beyoncé
« Reply #390 on: 17 Dec 2007, 21:51 »

let me type it out for you

öde

« Reply #391 on: 17 Dec 2007, 21:58 »

No I meant like a portrait.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #392 on: 17 Dec 2007, 21:59 »

I am going to get a full-face tattoo of Roo's face.

It'll be totally sweet.

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #393 on: 17 Dec 2007, 21:59 »

I was thinking about getting a tattoo on my inner thigh, maybe.

On a completely and utterly unrelated note, Roo how do you write "Here, Ruyi! Right here!"
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #394 on: 17 Dec 2007, 22:02 »

come on Ruyi we all know that is the kanji for 'tiny penis'

don't be a jerk

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #395 on: 17 Dec 2007, 22:03 »

I was thinking about getting a tattoo on my inner thigh, maybe.

maybe an arrow

or some landing lights

or "insert tab A into slot B"

what i am saying is that you get it on

ruyi

• Beyoncé
« Reply #396 on: 17 Dec 2007, 22:08 »

come on Ruyi we all know that is the kanji for 'tiny penis'

don't be a jerk

hey now, do not insult the name my mother gave me. in my oriental culture, 'tiny penis' represents fortune/dragons/jade/jade dragons.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #397 on: 17 Dec 2007, 22:21 »

The face will be smiling

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #398 on: 17 Dec 2007, 22:56 »

i will get a kanji tattoo that reads "jade penis dragon fortune"

story of my life!
      /
   :-D

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #399 on: 17 Dec 2007, 23:01 »

Jeph are you calling me a whore?

I am not a whore. No one has paid me in over a week.

God.
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 97   Go Up