THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 04:09
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 97   Go Down

Author Topic: Der Tattoo Thread.  (Read 756473 times)

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
Re: Der Tattoo Thread.
« Reply #400 on: 17 Dec 2007, 23:42 »

I say we all get gang tattoos together in Toronto.
The tattoos will all be of roo.
It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #401 on: 17 Dec 2007, 23:55 »

I would actually have mad respect for a dude with "PEACEFUL" tattooed across his chest in like 240pt gangbanger font.
How about a tattoo across your forehead that says "Poor Impulse Control" like the dude in Snowcrash?

No I meant like a portrait.
That filename is amazing.
« Last Edit: 18 Dec 2007, 00:02 by jhocking »

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #402 on: 18 Dec 2007, 00:00 »

Yeah that would be awesome too, but only if the dude is a huge Inuit who makes knives out of plate glass.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

Westrunner

« Reply #403 on: 18 Dec 2007, 07:56 »

also, you shouldn't be making a distinction between phrase and idea.
I think you mean a phrase and an idea, or the concepts thereof, but either way I enjoy the distinction and find it relevant. Should I find it necessary or pleasing I reserve the right to contrast duck-billed playpii to the concept of zero and so on and so forth.
you are romanticizing kanji, and that is what is retarded. there is nothing about kanji that is superior or more beautiful than the latin alphabet.
It's a subjective preference. I'm not romanticizing it, I just happen to really enjoy the script. What I find severely retarded, like a GAF of 22 retarded, is the idea that other people should be telling me what to like in a tattoo I'm considering. But you're welcome to your opinion.

The good side is this has forced me to do a bit of research, and now I think I'm going to go for written Mandarin Chinese.

Anyways, I think some Zombie accents would be appropriate on that lovely portrait of the dead bride. Maybe that was the look he was going for.
« Last Edit: 18 Dec 2007, 08:19 by Westrunner »

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #404 on: 18 Dec 2007, 08:46 »

I'll be honest and say that I think that getting a tattoo of a word or phrase in a language you can't read or speak is a little silly. I don't think I've seen any Chinese guys with Serenity tattooed on their chest in English so I really don't see the appeal of a white guy getting it in Chinese characters (however I also don't really agree with the view that a thing should only be accessible to a person from the culture that thing came from). If the only reason for getting it in that particular language is because you think it looks "pretty" or "cool" then I think you should have a think about why you are getting it, what it actually means to you and whether you are prepared for people thinking it is a dumb tattoo that you more or less will have to continuously explain for the rest of your life.

That said, I also think that if someone wants to get that tattoo then at worst I will just judge them silently. Afterall, I have the logo of my band tattooed on my chest. It is largely meaningless outside of the actual band members and in all honesty will probably not last (the band, not the tattoo). I also have the logo of the film The Dark Crystal on my back, partly because it's a really nice symbol for balance, partly because it is also a really nice design that I was completely obsessed with.

Basically what I am saying in a really badly worded, rambling kind of way is that Westrunner, if you want to get a kanji tattoo or a Mandarin Character tattoo then go for your life but really, if the word or phrase or whatever is really important to you, it might be more meaningful if you can understand it and not just know what it is says (i.e.: be able to read and comprehend it).
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

SeanBateman

« Reply #405 on: 18 Dec 2007, 08:55 »

Quote from: Westrunner link=topic=7913.msg577765#msg577765
What I find severely retarded, like a GAF of 22 retarded, is the idea that other people should be telling me what to like in a tattoo I'm considering. But you're welcome to your opinion.

Fair enough, because I find stupid fucking tattoos completely retarded.

We are just trying, as a forum, to keep you from getting a retarded tattoo and becoming a complete dude-bro.
« Last Edit: 18 Dec 2007, 12:10 by Dirk Hopeless »

thehollow

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #406 on: 18 Dec 2007, 09:57 »

a complete dude-bro.

I think this is the first time I've ever seen this term, but am now wondering how I lived without it. Many a time have I wished to effectively insult such a person, but thus far the best I could come up with was douchebag, which has become tired and old. I must thank you for expanding my vocabulary.

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #407 on: 18 Dec 2007, 10:43 »

Westrunner, if you'd read any of the pages concerning tattoos on this forum before mentioning your plans, you would have completely expected this sort of response.
Maybe you read them and wanted the chance to yell about opinions for a while, or maybe you chose to post blindly, ignorant of the culture of the medium- a mindset your tattoo will represent wonderfully.
Denn Du Bist, Was Du Isst   (you are what you eat)
also, related to burning stuff: a friend threw up on a hot water heater once, the vomit steam burned her face. awesome!

Westrunner

« Reply #408 on: 18 Dec 2007, 10:47 »

Indeed, added to mine as well. I think here in the south-west I might use the variant "dude-bra", although that does sound like something else entirely.

I totally share your opinion of most Chinese character tattoos. They reek of someone walking into a tat shop and pointing at the wall and going "that one. The one that means 'douche'" Right up there with black panthers, pixies, dragons, dolphins, and your current significant other's name, they generally make for terrible tattoos. The reason I'm really gung-ho on this is I have done some serious studies into buddhism, buddhist mysticism, eastern religions, tao etc... and have developed deep personal significance with many of the meanings of "qi" or "chee" as it is often pronounced. It's a fairly amorphous idea that means different things to different cultures but I like what it does for me, it's one of the only paradigms I've kept around for over a decade, and I just don't see bastardizing it into english. The only reason I don't have it right now is probably for a lot of similar reasons, I don't want to be that tat guy with the retarded asian tattoo he doesn't know anything about, but I've thought about it forever and come to the conclusion "fuck it, I'm just not into other people's opinions that much."

I mean there's english equivalents, kinda, I guess I could have "spiritus" or "ka" done, but it just wouldn't mean the same thing, not to me.

Opinions? Thoughts?

Add: Nah, I knew the tolerance and general opinion, I didn't want to yell or whatever, I just expected to be called retarded and maybe be sent to a site with decent translation resources. I've found one since. I fully expected a less than friendly dialog to unfold. Just a little more hostile than I initially expected, but not completely surprising. Again, it's not like I don't see where you guys are coming from on this.

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #409 on: 18 Dec 2007, 10:57 »

That is relatively respectable reasoning, but if you'll feel like a moron getting it done, don't want to bastardize the purity of the idea, and it really has significance to you, why get it tattooed? I am very much an advocate of tattoos with personal meaning, but maybe this is a concept which needs to stay spiritual for you rather than cheapening it with the troubles concerning turning it into body art.
If you want the tattoo itself to share the deep sense of meaning the idea does, maybe you should work it into a larger self-development plan. Save your money, and take a solo backpacking trip in southeast asia. Get your tattoo done there, as a symbol of the physical manifestation of its importance to your life.
Doesn't that sound better than trying desperately to convince a tattoo guy in a stateside tattoo shop that reallyreally, you're not like those other douchbags with tattoos they can't read? That yours actually means something? Prove it, do something meaningful with this.
also, related to burning stuff: a friend threw up on a hot water heater once, the vomit steam burned her face. awesome!

Westrunner

« Reply #410 on: 18 Dec 2007, 11:12 »

I'm with you on the backpacking tour of Asia. In fact, I think it's something I'd like to do over and over again. And I'm not against getting it done there (a great idea indeed), but I think the problem isn't my own personal opinions (I've come to terms with this) it's the outward visual appearance of the character. If the tattoo looks exactly like dude-bro tattoos it's going to elicit the same response wherever, again, something I'm cool with, but I wouldn't mind the removal of the general association. What I've been looking into lately is a stylized version of the character that doesn't look like an eastern script. I don't really care if anyone else gets what it means, that's kind of the point of it; I'd be cooler with something that looks different than the standard text because I identify the concept as more my own than any particular version.

That, or I am just going to go with whatever this guy decides: http://forums.questionablecontent.net/index.php/topic,18441.0.html
« Last Edit: 18 Dec 2007, 11:42 by Westrunner »

öde

« Reply #411 on: 18 Dec 2007, 11:54 »

I wish I could remember the reaction of whoever I told on another forum that the kanji for 'chi' is basically a drawing of steam escaping from a pot of rice.

Westrunner

« Reply #412 on: 18 Dec 2007, 12:27 »

Which one? My big problem is that there are more images than I know of for the different versions of qi. Traditional, Simplified, Hanja, Hangul, Thai, Shinjitai...

Makes sense though, apparently the etymology of the word comes from the steam rising from rice. Later evolving into a word for air, the soul, energy, breath, breathing, life-force, etc.... depending on the culture.

Ah, on Wikipedia it looks like the original chinese pictogram is the one you're referring to. The modern version omits the "rice."

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #413 on: 18 Dec 2007, 13:16 »

Guys, I am going to get a tattoo of the kanji for "left" on my right hand and the kanji for "milk" on my left.

I am going to tell people they mean "peace" and "destiny".

I am going to have a good laugh just to myself.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

fatty

• FIGHT YOU
    • the Notorious F.A.T.T.Y.
« Reply #414 on: 19 Dec 2007, 02:58 »

THERE ARE 6 600 000 000 PEOPLE ON EARTH.

I KNOW YOU WANT SOMETHING OF PERSONAL SIGNIFICANCE BUT THERE ARE ONLY 47,035 CHINESE CHARACTERS.

And do note that the "ancient" kanji characters are Chinese characters, adopted by the japanese.
est: she is basically an ass to everyone

öde

« Reply #415 on: 19 Dec 2007, 11:15 »

SonofZ3

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #416 on: 19 Dec 2007, 13:21 »

Although I completely agree with the sentiment that you shouldn't get something written on you in a different language if you don't want it on you in your own, I do think there are some exceptions. All languages have words and phrases that have special importance, and they generally lose something in translation. Whether or not someone outside of that given culture can truly relate is another topic. The easiest examples I can think of are Bushido and Seppuku. I don't think, being an American that won't like likely ever get a chance to spend any large amount of time in Japan, that I'll ever understand to the fullest either of those concepts. Bushido, in english, would be something close to warrior code, but obviously something is lost in that translation, as the two words do not cause the same ideas and response. I guess what I'm basically trying to say is that some things, to be properly expressed, should be left in their original language and characters, in which case foreign language tattoos might be acceptable.
I've gained nothing from Zen.

costacide

« Reply #417 on: 20 Dec 2007, 11:51 »

The best tattoos don't really mean anything.

Though in all seriousness...we've all seen alot of shitty tattoos, no doubt.  And I don't necessarily mean badly-done, just vaguely stupid ones that are chock-loaded with cliches and no real meaning beyond "this is for my bro who TOTALLY sketched this original design back in 8th grade and wanted to get it before he died in a drunk driving accident that he caused doing 110 while drunk on stolen Jager in his dad's car".  Most of them I ended up watching on those kinda dumb "Miami Ink"-style shows (man, God bless cable TV). 

I guess my main "beef" is with people trying to associate these incredibly deep but really stupid-sounding and not entirely sincere, but they just don't want to sound stupid saying "I thought it looked really pretty".  Which is, to me at least, a perfectly acceptable reason.  I mean, we're all adults here and well-meaning or semi-dickish jokes to each other come with the territory of sharing information about ourselves, including tattoos.

I got this a few years ago;

It's from a collage that was in an issue of TransWorld Skateboarding I read when I was like 14.  There really isn't much meaning beyond that it's a cool saying from a cool little piece of art I saved for years just because I liked it and it vaguely reminded me of the style of an artist I dig, Scott Sinclair (SINC).  I'd like more if I can stop being so lazy, and they'll probably not necessarily always mean something, I'll just think it's a cool piece of art I somehow connect with and want to wear on my skin.

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #418 on: 20 Dec 2007, 19:11 »

I'm sort of with you. Mine, way back in this thread, was because I found the image compelling enough to somehow make me do a double-take when I first saw it. It's like it punched me in the gut and said "Brittany! Look at me Brittany! Somehow I seem important to you even though I am just a creepy-assed monster! Put me on your skin permanently!" and I says I says "lol ok".
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #419 on: 20 Dec 2007, 19:53 »

My personal tattoo philosophy is to make the first one you get all significant and deep and shit, and then after that you're free to get a bunch of dumb tattoos. I think people are way too worried about what they're gonna think when they're 60 that it stops them having fun when they're young. I know I'll feel completely different in forty years time, but if I look back on my youth with no regrets, that's gonna be a big thing to regret, because it meant I didn't take risks and I didn't do stupid shit. And let's face it, stupid shit is always the most fun, right?

A lot of the concepts behind my tattoos and the tats I plan to get may be pretty dodgy, but they'll always at least be aesthetically pleasing. Plus I plan to have  so many tattoos that it'll make it hard for anything to just pop out as idiotic anyway.

SonofZ3

« Reply #420 on: 20 Dec 2007, 21:09 »

Heck yeah David_Dovey! If some faded body art is REALLY my biggest dissapointment in myself when i'm old then I'll consider that a damn good job. I also agree with the aesthetically pleasing thing. When the financing is available I'd like a 3/4 neo-japanese full color on the right arm of a tiger, similar to this:
[url][http://www.tattoo.ne.jp/image/sakuhin/lk/lk3.jpg/url] . Is there any deep meaning? No. I would just like it and enjoy being a peice of artwork like that.

Although I can say, looking back on before I had 6 visible tattoos, to now, I have a harder time attracting decent girls. The pierced tattooed thing absolutely makes some people think "bad boy" which means a certain type of woman approaches you in bars, and a certain type keeps their distance. I don't regret my ink and plan to get much more, but I would advise people to be aware that while people who get to know who won't judge you on them, you might lose opportunities for others to get to know you.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #421 on: 21 Dec 2007, 00:54 »

Yeah but the sort of women who approach you because they're into visible tattoos are fucking awesome.

Win win, I say!

SeanBateman

« Reply #422 on: 21 Dec 2007, 01:01 »

My next tattoo is going to be from a Chagall painting, I think. Only I can't remember the title of it and I can't find it on the internet.

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #423 on: 21 Dec 2007, 01:51 »

I would love to get some tattoos, probably all over my back, but my personal style changes so drastically every few months that I don't think I could ever find anything I'd be really happy with.
Perhaps I should start looking up some pictures and do that 'pin them up for a year and if you still like it after that time get it done' thing.
I need my septum pierced first though.

imapiratearg

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Oh thanks. They're not mine.
    • http://www.myspace.com/superpunkdout
« Reply #424 on: 21 Dec 2007, 05:21 »

I want a full-body tattoo of myself, but taller.

mberan42

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Fry... You're my friend...
« Reply #425 on: 21 Dec 2007, 07:58 »

I'd get Magritte's Le fils de l'homme in full colour on my back.
My parents were always on me to groom myself and wear underpants. What am I, the pope?!

thewayigroove

« Reply #426 on: 21 Dec 2007, 08:41 »

my ink

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
« Reply #427 on: 21 Dec 2007, 08:42 »

Holy wow.
Hate, rain on me

StMonkey

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • *Comment of negligible importance*
« Reply #428 on: 21 Dec 2007, 08:43 »

Then.... where are the notes, since you feel the need to omit everything else in that picture, but not for the clef?
Carpe Gluteum
The bottom line is, if anyone is going to start playing pranks by stuffing large quantities of food in their mouths, be wary.

thewayigroove

« Reply #429 on: 21 Dec 2007, 09:13 »

On my wrist. I've gotten it filled since that picture was taken:

« Last Edit: 21 Dec 2007, 09:27 by thewayigroove »

Ballard

• Older than Moses
  • This is my happening and it freaks me out!
« Reply #430 on: 21 Dec 2007, 09:15 »

er um uh

thewayigroove,
I'm like the boy who cried "you guys are faggots"

ampersandwitch

• The Tickler
  • cuntstruck
« Reply #431 on: 21 Dec 2007, 09:36 »

Well.
I'm guessing that hurt like a sonofabitch, but wow, I think that's my favorite tattoo ever.  Great placement, great size, and the best clef on the planet.

I is Grammar

• Furry furrier
  • Advocatus diaboli
« Reply #432 on: 21 Dec 2007, 09:36 »

my ink

I think I'm in love.

Hey, 600 posts.
I've got a small sticky-out scar like a third nipple just under my right manboob from where I was bitten by another kid in Year 3.

SonofZ3

« Reply #433 on: 21 Dec 2007, 10:41 »

Yeah but the sort of women who approach you because they're into visible tattoos are fucking awesome.

Win win, I say!

It may just be the area of the country I live in, but they tend to be shallow, insecure, and not someone you'd want to be around for more than a few weeks.

I did the whole "deep personal meaning" with my first one, the word "Ouroboros" around my lower left bicep. Funny thing about that word, I guess its the name of semi-well known band (maybe? i still haven't looked them up), but twice now I've had people assume I'm just a huge fan of that band and be like "I LOVE Ouroboros man!" and point to my arm. Both times were in gas stations so I just went with it.
« Last Edit: 21 Dec 2007, 10:58 by SonofZ3 »

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #434 on: 21 Dec 2007, 11:40 »

Baby I can hit every note on your register.

Wanna come over and do a duet?

You think that's cool, wait till you see my bass clef.

Hey baby I play the tenor saxophone.
(This is the best music pickup line ever. It's because saxophone players are the best kissers)

Ballard

• Older than Moses
« Reply #435 on: 21 Dec 2007, 14:07 »

Slick, I feel faint.

thewayigroove

« Reply #436 on: 21 Dec 2007, 15:53 »

Baby I can hit every note on your register.

Wanna come over and do a duet?

You think that's cool, wait till you see my bass clef.

Hey baby I play the tenor saxophone.
(This is the best music pickup line ever. It's because saxophone players are the best kissers)

Slick, that  just made me so glad i'm a lesbian

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #437 on: 21 Dec 2007, 18:38 »

I is Grammar

• Furry furrier
  • Advocatus diaboli
« Reply #438 on: 26 Dec 2007, 20:53 »

New tattoo!  I'm really happy with it.  It looks slightly lopsided in the picture, but it's only because I twisted my back to take it.

I've got a small sticky-out scar like a third nipple just under my right manboob from where I was bitten by another kid in Year 3.

Ballard

• Older than Moses
« Reply #439 on: 27 Dec 2007, 00:22 »

The sheer awesomeness of that tattoo overwhelms me.

calenlass

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • queefcicle!
« Reply #440 on: 04 Jan 2008, 12:39 »

Is.. is that a tramp stamp?
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

SeanBateman

« Reply #441 on: 04 Jan 2008, 13:03 »

I would love to blow my load on a d20.

Fuck yes, pagebreak.
« Last Edit: 04 Jan 2008, 13:15 by Dirk Hopeless »

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #442 on: 04 Jan 2008, 13:10 »

Is.. is that a tramp stamp?
I'm gonna guess the back of her neck.

Verergoca

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #443 on: 04 Jan 2008, 13:38 »

A d20 tramp stamp surely would win!
Quote from: Dr. Sidney Freeman
Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #444 on: 04 Jan 2008, 13:45 »

Nothing will ever beat thewayigroove's tattoo.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #445 on: 04 Jan 2008, 14:45 »

Though her tattoos are awesome (treble clef is the best), I think when girls get F holes on their backs is the awesomest thing ever. I am seriously considering getting this as a tattoo, because not only is it aesthetically pleasing, it has personal value to me.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

SeanBateman

« Reply #446 on: 04 Jan 2008, 15:02 »

Hers are all really cliche tattoos, actually. I respect the d20 way more.

The F holes are among the most pretentious tattoos ever.

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #447 on: 04 Jan 2008, 23:37 »

Am I the only one who finds the d20 kind of cliche as well? I've definitely met about 4 other people with nearly the exact same image, and I don't exactly run around asking Dungeons and Dragons kids to show me their tattoos.

SeanBateman

« Reply #448 on: 04 Jan 2008, 23:57 »

It is totally cliche. 99% of tattoo's are cliche as shit.

But at least it is cliche in kind of a cute, nerdy way that is also small and hard to see for the most part. Also this episode of Angel is about D&D! Awesome!

SeanBateman

« Reply #449 on: 04 Jan 2008, 23:57 »

Plus, d20, on a natural 20! Total fucking CRIT!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 97   Go Up