THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 14:05
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 97   Go Down

Author Topic: Der Tattoo Thread.  (Read 771209 times)

calenlass

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • queefcicle!
Re: Der Tattoo Thread.
« Reply #700 on: 13 Mar 2008, 12:09 »

It is an excellent book. The movie only serves to make it better.
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

ThePQ4

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #701 on: 13 Mar 2008, 12:25 »

If I recall correctly, you write fan ficitions about Harry Potter

also greek mythology

...Wait, I don't know what Greek Mythology has to do with this --although, so we don't totally derail the thread --Once I get my Hades myth published, I want to get a little chibi-hades tattooed on my back!

As for the rest: I'm just not going to argue about it because we are rerailing an otherwise awesome thread with mindless drivel that I'm not going to take part of anymore.

SeanBateman

« Reply #702 on: 13 Mar 2008, 17:37 »

American Psycho is an awesome movie stop being dumb.

PQ4 you are still the weirdest person on this board and getting weirder. You honestly disturb me a little.

I am going to get a tattoo of a monkeywrench at some point, but I don't know where. I kind of like the idea of the wrench on my right arm and the gonzo dagger on my left but I am not into HST enough anymore to justify that. Ed Abbey deserves a tattoo more anyway.

ThePQ4

« Reply #703 on: 13 Mar 2008, 17:55 »

Honestly, from you Keiffer, I'm going to take that as a compliment.

Is it going to be like a regular monkeywrench or is it going to be in like an old skool/new skool style? Graffiti-ish would be interesting.

negative creep

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #704 on: 13 Mar 2008, 19:21 »

I didn't even know they made a movie out of Rosemary's Baby. I enjoyed the book, though.

On topic: should I get a tattoo?

ThePQ4

« Reply #705 on: 13 Mar 2008, 19:29 »

...Whoa, wait, you didn't know that Rosemary's Baby was a movie?...they made it like twenty years ago (that's an exaggeration, but I'm to lazy to actually look it up).

As for should you get a tattoo: yes, yes you should.

negative creep

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #706 on: 13 Mar 2008, 19:39 »

I looked it up and they actually made the movie 40 years ago, one year after the book was published. Didn't know about that. Well, it's not like old horror movies like that are shown on TV 'round here.

falkonn

« Reply #707 on: 13 Mar 2008, 20:45 »

The book ---> movie conversion that I think most people don't know about... Fight Club.  So much of the great writing in that movie is stolen straight from the book. 

SeanBateman

« Reply #708 on: 13 Mar 2008, 20:49 »

You're dumb

negative creep

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #709 on: 13 Mar 2008, 20:53 »

So much of the great writing in that movie is stolen straight from the book. 

I'm pretty sure that's the idea behind that whole making-movies-out-of-books concept.

NarwhalSunshine

« Reply #710 on: 13 Mar 2008, 20:56 »

I hate Chuck Palahniuk, I refuse to even try and read his books after Invisible Monsters. Fight Club was an alright movie though.

Skibas_clavicle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Mo' money, mo' problem.
« Reply #711 on: 13 Mar 2008, 20:58 »

What? Invisible Monsters was clearly his best book.

Let's get back to talking about tattoos, people. If you want to talk about entertainment, go to the Books, Movies & TV parts of the forum and interact with the like 4 other people who post there regularly.
I like the way you work it.

falkonn

« Reply #712 on: 14 Mar 2008, 12:47 »

I know there's been a call for tattooey goodness, but I feel like I should get a chance to respond.

Quote from: Dirk Hopeless
You're Dumb
Way to generalize there guy, since you know me so well.  All I'm saying is that in my day to day wanderings, most of the time when I bring up fight club the book people have gone..."What, it's a book?  I didn't know that."   Even though the movie is plastered with Based on the book by...

So much of the great writing in that movie is stolen straight from the book. 

I'm pretty sure that's the idea behind that whole making-movies-out-of-books concept.

Oh, I agree that it's totally the idea.  But I always assumed that the screenwriters  had thrown in at least a little bit of the good stuff.  I can't think of anything that is memorable enough to quote from in that movie that is not written word for word by Palahniuk.

Also, to get back on topic...here's a tattoo.  My best friend got this recently because it is on the cover of a book that she loves, plus its a nautilus shell and earlier in this thread people were talking about how cool a nautilus shell would be as a tattoo.

calenlass

• queefcicle!
« Reply #713 on: 14 Mar 2008, 13:43 »

I am not sure I would've gone with that rendering of a nautilus, if it were me.
Hey everyone, I need to buy some new bookshelves. When I get back from Ikea and put them together you're all invited to the bookshelf launch party.

tania

• famed sex columnist
« Reply #714 on: 14 Mar 2008, 14:00 »

fight club was pretty alright. so was choke.

palahniuk has some pretty good ideas but his writing style becomes really abrasive after a while. i just want to shake him and explain proper punctuation. yes, breaking the rules once in a while is fun and creative... in moderation.
Not to sound mysoginist, but I hate women.

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #715 on: 14 Mar 2008, 14:12 »

read Rant.

it's pretty new and it's so unique when compared to his other books (honestly, they all blend together and i can't remember which is which anymore).

in summary: Rant is awesome. go get it.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

Drill King

• Duck attack survivor
  • The Monster of Man
« Reply #716 on: 14 Mar 2008, 14:19 »

Big question that's potentially important.

Would you get a tattoo from someone who had no tattoos? If they had decent skill and such, if you liked their work? Would you consider them not to be 'supporting their craft', etc?

I would love to potentially work as a tattoo artist, however, I feel that I'm far too picky and fickle about layout of a tattoo for me to appreciate it on my own body.

Talking to a friend of mine who does tattoo art, he mentioned that without a decent amount of tattoos myself I wouldn't garner respect even if I was a skilled ink artist, thoughts?
King of Kings baby.

photoblog tumblr

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #717 on: 14 Mar 2008, 14:25 »

I wouldn't get tattooed by someone with no ink. Partly because from all the tattooists I've spoken to they have all tattooed themselves as part of their training (unofficial training perhaps?) and I basically wouldn't trust someone to etch something permanently onto my body if they weren't so sure of their own work that they haven't done it on themselves. Basically people won't trust you.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Drill King

• Duck attack survivor
  • The Monster of Man
« Reply #718 on: 14 Mar 2008, 14:29 »

I'm getting that, but for the record. Many many tattoo artists don't do their own body, some do, but most do their training on pig skin and grapefruit.

I'm just curious as to if I had examples of my work, good work, why the lack of trust?
King of Kings baby.

photoblog tumblr

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #719 on: 14 Mar 2008, 14:34 »

To be fair most of the tattooists I know are the old biker dudes but whatever.

I just wouldn't be able to get a tattoo from someone who doesn't like tattooes enough to get their own basically. It gives me the impression of a lack of dedication to the artform, I'm not being mean - this is just what I would think.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Boom

« Reply #720 on: 14 Mar 2008, 14:38 »

Here is mine...

and

The tattoo artiest said it was the most painful places to get a tattoo, that might have been him just fucking with me, but it did hurt... a lot

please, no political debates... :-)

Drill King

• Duck attack survivor
  • The Monster of Man
« Reply #721 on: 14 Mar 2008, 14:40 »

No no~ I didn't the impression of being mean at all. The thing is, I totally understand.

Let me explain a little bit. I love tattoos, I've been trying to figure out what I'd like for.. well since I was really little, I've got a huge folder for just body modifications. However, I'm a worrier, I'm a fickle person, so I'm going to wait until I'm just positive, and positive for longer than a few months, however, I'm not one to just take a tattoo lightly, I'm an overly cautious person.

Also, there is something to be said that some people look better without tattoos, some people look better with.

And let me extend the question, what if they had -a- tattoo, would you change your mind? Or would you still want to be tattooed by someone with full sleeves/etc?

What if it wasn't visible vs visible, etc?
King of Kings baby.

photoblog tumblr

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #722 on: 14 Mar 2008, 14:51 »

I don't think it needs to be full sleeves but there would need to be some (read: more than one, probably at least 3-5) visible tatts. The assumption otherwise would be that (1) you are ashamed of having your tatts and don't want people to see them and/or (2) that you don't have any tatts in the first place and that just takes us back to what I said earlier. These are pretty silly assumptions but nevertheless I, an admittedly reasonably intelligent person who should know better, would probably make them or similar ones.

I have like two tattoos (and plans for 3 more) and I do not just get them after wanting them for only a few months, it takes me at least a year to decide if I'm really as in love with the design as I thought I was at first. This is not being overly cautious because a tattoo, much like a puppy, isn't just for Christmas (but is not as likely to shit on the floor) if you take my meaning. I would prefer to know without a shadow of a doubt that this is what I want to be on my skin for the rest of my life and have had to wait a few extra months to get than get something I will regret.

One of my ideas is for some skulls on the inside of my forearms. I have had this idea for the last 2-3 years and I am still waiting to see if I really want it because it would be much more visible than the chest and back tatts that I have or the shoulder I am getting done this year (hopefully).

Drill King

• Duck attack survivor
  • The Monster of Man
« Reply #723 on: 14 Mar 2008, 15:17 »

I can see exactly what you mean, which is a shame.

Another question! Why is it that tattoos that aren't visible get deemed as people who are 'ashamed', I, and a few other people I know, prefer placement of things that are usually hidden(around the breasts, hips, inner thigh, etc), and I've heard this from people that those are only places for people who are concerned about the consequences later on get. Which I disagree with, but I'm seeing it more.
King of Kings baby.

photoblog tumblr

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #724 on: 14 Mar 2008, 15:27 »

As for myself, except for my planned forearm tatts, everything else is totally concealed if I'm wearing a t-shirt. Let's not pretend that within certain societal arenas tattooes do not come with certain stigmas attached to them. I'll be basically working in healthcare when I leave university so I'm probably going to have to be wearing suits etc if I do get my forearms done and I'm probably going to have to take out my piercings as well. However, within the body modification community you are meant to be proud of what you have done and show it off most of the time (just an undercurrent I have noticed, it is by no means hard fact). If a tattooist is covering their tattooes there would have to be a reason for it yes? People are pretty shit at evaluating the causes of other people's behaviour so shame would not be a difficult mental leap.

Skibas_clavicle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Mo' money, mo' problem.
« Reply #725 on: 14 Mar 2008, 15:36 »

I think the difference between tattooing and other professions is tattooing is a lifestyle, it's not just a job. Also, if you're getting tattooed, you want the person to not only be talented, but also familiar with the experiences of someone getting tattooed.  You can't really answer people's questions and concerns fully unless you've experienced what they're inquiring about.

But, hidden tattoos have their charm. I was thinking about getting some on my inner thighs, just below ze crotch, something small, most likely script. Perhaps that PECCA FORTITE tat I've always wanted, one word on each side. Plus, how sexy would it be to have "Sin Bravely" inked on my inner thighs?
I like the way you work it.

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #726 on: 14 Mar 2008, 15:38 »

Not as sexy as you think it is?

SonofZ3

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #727 on: 14 Mar 2008, 15:42 »

I t hink there is a difference between being ashamed and being tactful in the placement of tattoos. I love tattoos, I have 9 at the moment, soon to be a single left arm sleeve, a few on the right and one on the left chest (to be followed by 2 more soon). All of mine are placed so I can cover them with a long sleeved button up shirt. I am not ashamed of my art, but I do know for a fact that the field I want to work in is one that discourages tattoos and body piercings. I will have to take out my earrings and wear long sleeves all year round, but I am OK with that. If someone accuses you of being shamed of a tattoo simply because it is not always visible, then screw them. I think a big part of it is separating a professional and personal self image. Outside of work I prefer tank tops so my body art is visible. At work my earrings are out, doing the khakis and dress shirt thing. To be completely honest I don't really like my first two tattoos, I wish I would've just done a full left sleeve to begin with instead of having to build it piece by piece like I am now. Currently I really like my origami woodcut dude on my left bicep (a picture of the line art I posted earlier in the thread), and my japanese red crowned crane on my left chest the most. I guess just do what makes you happy.
I've gained nothing from Zen.

Drill King

• Duck attack survivor
  • The Monster of Man
« Reply #728 on: 14 Mar 2008, 15:54 »

Sonof73, can I ask you, as someone who doesn't like a tattoo they have, how much does it bother you?
King of Kings baby.

photoblog tumblr

SonofZ3

« Reply #729 on: 14 Mar 2008, 17:41 »

Not that much really. The quality of the tattoos isn't bad, the artist did good work, its  just that my left sleeve will end up looking less cool than it would if I would have went for a sleeve in the first place. I also still like the idea behind my first two, but if I were to get a tattoo done of the same idea now it would be a lot larger, a lot more expensive, and just generally more sweet. I think that as you become more exposed to tattooing and the amazing work artists can do, your first tattoo, which was likely small and not overly complex, starts to pale in comparison with the new ideas you have. I have the Ouroboros dragon around my forearm, eating his tail and all that, and I still like the idea. With what I know now about the type of work artists can do it would be a lot larger piece with some kind of background work around it. Now I have a Japanese Fu dog above the dragon, and will soon be having some Tengu faces below it, with the Neo-japanese black and gray smoke shading to fill in around it. Since my origami guy is on the same arm I'll end up with a neo-japanese themed sleeve, but like I've said, it won't be as nice as if it would've been planned as a sleeve from the start.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #730 on: 14 Mar 2008, 23:29 »

I sort of really skimmed over the recent posts in this thread so I'm not sure if it got mentioned yet, but for me the main reason why I wouldn't want someone who was tattooing me to have any tattoos is because if they haven't been tattooed, they won't have the right empathy for the person sitting in their chair. Along these lines it's much better if they have tattooed themselves because then they know exactly how hard they should be pressing with the needle.

P.S;
there is something to be said that some people look better without tattoos

No

people look better with

Yes

:-D

It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

jodizzle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Stairs will tear us apart
« Reply #731 on: 14 Mar 2008, 23:41 »

I wan my tattoo :(  My brother takes too long in his designing.

Also I am terrified so it is probably good he is taking forever.
Quote from: Hannah in Meebly
you it be the mics taht are broked?
Quote from: ViolentDove
But then again, I used to dress like the bastard child of a drug-addled punk and a shrubbery.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #732 on: 14 Mar 2008, 23:49 »

Guys for the record, no matter how bad or how not-so-bad you think a tattoo is going to feel, it almost certainly will hurt less than you think it will. From everyone I've ever met who had a tattoo, it's been the same, whether they were rather blase about it or absolutely freaked out.

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #733 on: 15 Mar 2008, 02:57 »

Yeah I always psych myself up for the worst pain imaginable when I go for a tattoo or piercing. My reasoning is that when it actually happens it won't feel nearly as bad as I expected and I can fool myself into thinking it doesn't hurt so bad.

Boom

« Reply #734 on: 16 Mar 2008, 08:36 »

Guys for the record, no matter how bad or how not-so-bad you think a tattoo is going to feel, it almost certainly will hurt less than you think it will. From everyone I've ever met who had a tattoo, it's been the same, whether they were rather blase about it or absolutely freaked out.

That isn't true, I thought it was going to hurt, I was expecting it to hurt, and then when I got it... It hurt a lot more. But pain is temporary, but your ink will last.

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
« Reply #735 on: 16 Mar 2008, 08:40 »

BEAUTY IS EPHEMERAL PAIN IS FOREVER
Hate, rain on me

SonofZ3

« Reply #736 on: 16 Mar 2008, 08:53 »

I haven't gotten my ribcage tats done yet, and I hear that it hurts more than other places, but I have had my underarm, elbow, and wrists tattooed, and it doesn't hurt that much. Stubbing your toe hurts more than a tattoo, the burning sensation of a pulled muscle hurts quite a bit more than a tattoo. I think there are a lot of pains we experience that are worse than the feeling of a tattoo, only the pain in tattooing, since it is voluntary, gets built up as being so bad simply because it would've been avoidable. This is only my opinion, but I think that when pain is more or less unavoidable we accept it and ignore it, while when we have a choice to avoid pain that may, in all actuality, be less painful than many other things, we psychologically make it worse because it could be avoided. Bottom line, to me, is that tattoos hurt a little, but that is part of the experience and it certainly doesn't hurt enough to stop me from going for more.

SeanBateman

« Reply #737 on: 16 Mar 2008, 09:14 »

That isn't true, I thought it was going to hurt, I was expecting it to hurt, and then when I got it... It hurt a lot more. But pain is temporary, but your ink will last.

Wuss.

onewheelwizzard

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Ha! Fool ...
    • http://www.livejournal.com/users/onewheelwizzard
« Reply #738 on: 17 Mar 2008, 01:21 »

I don't know if I've ever posted the image that is the only one I want as a tattoo ... here it is.  I would want it as a simple line drawing, probably.

I would probably just get either the little runner second from left or the one third from left, so like this but without the colors (probably):

I was thinking maybe one or two on my back, on one or both shoulder blades, facing towards my spine and maybe a little up towards my head.

The image is from a cave painting in the Tassili-n-Ajjer plateau in Algeria, and is widely considered to be the oldest documented evidence of psychoactive drug use among humans (5,000 BC if I remember correctly).
also at one point mid-sex she asked me "what do you think about commercialism in art?"

thewayigroove

« Reply #739 on: 17 Mar 2008, 07:47 »

I met this punk guy Stevie at a party, and the kid had some crazy tattoos:
"better dead than red"

Also one of my best friends got her new tat this weekend:

She's thinking about getting it colored in. I say she should.

Mazlow01

• Plantmonster
  • Taxes are not levied for the benefit of the taxed
    • myspace page
« Reply #740 on: 17 Mar 2008, 07:58 »

I like the way the birds looks now. No need to color it. And the better dead than red is awesome.

Glad Marten has some balls. But he doesn't need to use them to teabag rabid animals for not thinking straight. Animal control is much easier.

cheesepie

• Larger than most fish
  • the limit as cool approaches awesome of myself
« Reply #741 on: 17 Mar 2008, 20:41 »

Here is mine...

and

The tattoo artiest said it was the most painful places to get a tattoo, that might have been him just fucking with me, but it did hurt... a lot

please, no political debates... :-)

I just hope you realise one thing, the Hammer and Sickle is as bad as wearing a nazi swastika for most eastern europeans. Stalin killed more people than Hitler. No debate here, no matter how much that tattoo offends me I'm not trying to lecture you, just hope you know.
I'd rather be skiing.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #742 on: 17 Mar 2008, 21:16 »

thewayigroove, I say your friend should get some black shading, but not coloured.

PeeEss; two weeks til my next tattoo!

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #743 on: 17 Mar 2008, 21:17 »

I'm voting for not colored as well.. that's a cardinal, right? That would be way too much red for a torso.
Denn Du Bist, Was Du Isst   (you are what you eat)
also, related to burning stuff: a friend threw up on a hot water heater once, the vomit steam burned her face. awesome!

CamusCanDo

• Curry sauce
« Reply #744 on: 18 Mar 2008, 03:11 »

Are you Maori at all? Cause if not it's a bit ridiculous to get something from a culture you aren't part of and probably don't particularly understand. I don't want to demean your idea or anything but it can be quite insensitive to take something, moko and other symbolism for instance, that normally require a lot of mana to be worn (e.g. chiefs and so on) and have some random passerby wearing them. (Mana is Maori for... well it doens't translate well but it's a combination of power, charisma, spiritual strength etc etc) So if you don't have the necessary mana you're pretty much devalueing that symbolism...
Cause, that's just my interpretation of it.
Still have no pics of my tattoo.

Nah, yeah dude, I'm Maori. Half Maori and half Aussie. I actually have no problem with non-Maori wearing a Ta-Moko on any part of their body, as long as it details their own geneology and isn't lifted from someone else's Moko, a Maori chief for example. I have even less of a problem if someone decides to get a kirituhi (Skin Art/Alternative to the traditional Ta-Moko). Although mana, like you said has a part of it, for me it's more about identity. Especially since a Ta-Moko is pretty much the detailing of their history.

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #745 on: 18 Mar 2008, 06:53 »

PeeEss; two weeks til my next tattoo!

Ooh, what are you getting?
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan
Fuck you, I want him so bad.

thewayigroove

« Reply #746 on: 18 Mar 2008, 09:47 »

I'm voting for not colored as well.. that's a cardinal, right? That would be way too much red for a torso.

Shading and filling is actually already set for April 28th, we might be going together since I'm getting some work done that day as well.

She’s getting many different shades of red to emphasize a curved shadow, the tips of the cardinal's wings are going to have a white streak of bone going down them, and the branch is going to be more grayish.

ledhendrix

• Vagina Manifesto
  • *poke*
« Reply #747 on: 18 Mar 2008, 13:16 »

That hammer and sickle tattoo is excellent. I don't think I'd ever get a tattoo but if i ever did it would have to be as cool as that.
« Last Edit: 18 Mar 2008, 13:20 by ledhendrix »
Get off my land

Boom

« Reply #748 on: 19 Mar 2008, 09:22 »

I just hope you realise one thing, the Hammer and Sickle is as bad as wearing a nazi swastika for most eastern europeans. Stalin killed more people than Hitler. No debate here, no matter how much that tattoo offends me I'm not trying to lecture you, just hope you know.

I know, and it doesn't have anything to do with the fascist dictator Stalin.

cheesepie

• Larger than most fish
  • the limit as cool approaches awesome of myself
« Reply #749 on: 19 Mar 2008, 12:54 »

gooood yayy
I'd rather be skiing.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 97   Go Up