THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 22:00
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 97   Go Down

Author Topic: Der Tattoo Thread.  (Read 756226 times)

SeanBateman

Re: Der Tattoo Thread.
« Reply #800 on: 26 Mar 2008, 09:38 »

pq4 you are so bad. Stop acting like you know things.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #801 on: 26 Mar 2008, 10:33 »

UV tattoos are cool. They look neat.

Also, what tattoo isn't going to fade at least a little? If you want your tattoos to look constantly fresh, then you are going to have to constantly reink them. I mean, I realize that they shouldn't fade quickly, but they will fade eventually.

White ink tattoos are great. I think they look nice.

There have been huge advances in inks over the past few years, they fade much slower these days (with proper care of course) and so need much less touching up. There's a big difference between something no longer looking like it's freshly done and something that's faded so badly it's in need of work. My tattoos are a few years old now but they aren't even close to needing a touch up, whereas people I know who've received more recent tattoos with crappy ink are already in bad need of one. White ink will fade and look crap very fast and who wants to have to keep going back for a touch-up of an old tattoo every few months? That's money you could spend on new ink.

Possibly more importantly they're really ugly in the first place.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #802 on: 26 Mar 2008, 11:03 »

Not all of them
Denn Du Bist, Was Du Isst   (you are what you eat)
also, related to burning stuff: a friend threw up on a hot water heater once, the vomit steam burned her face. awesome!

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #803 on: 26 Mar 2008, 11:05 »

That would look cool with thin black outlines, but as just white shapes on skin that's fugly.

Gemmwah

• Bling blang blong blung
  • fffffffffffffffffff
« Reply #804 on: 26 Mar 2008, 11:06 »

I love it as it is. So awesome.
oh good god 4lko jaeger bomb. Holy goood god what have I done.
 :psyduck: psyduck is the most appropriate right now. FUUUUKC

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #805 on: 26 Mar 2008, 11:22 »

UV tattoos are cool. They look neat.

Also, what tattoo isn't going to fade at least a little? If you want your tattoos to look constantly fresh, then you are going to have to constantly reink them. I mean, I realize that they shouldn't fade quickly, but they will fade eventually.

White ink tattoos are great. I think they look nice.

There have been huge advances in inks over the past few years, they fade much slower these days (with proper care of course) and so need much less touching up. There's a big difference between something no longer looking like it's freshly done and something that's faded so badly it's in need of work. My tattoos are a few years old now but they aren't even close to needing a touch up, whereas people I know who've received more recent tattoos with crappy ink are already in bad need of one. White ink will fade and look crap very fast and who wants to have to keep going back for a touch-up of an old tattoo every few months? That's money you could spend on new ink.

Possibly more importantly they're really ugly in the first place.

What I'm saying is, there is no such thing as a nonfade tattoo. All tattoos fade to some degree.

And as Amanda just showed us, not all white ink tattoos fade to nothing. Some fade to barely noticeable, which some people want. I, for one, think it'd be awesome to have a secret tattoo like that. Some white tattoos are very bright and visible, but the ink looks different on everyone's skin.

Ugly is a opinion. I think that tattoo is pretty neat. I think white ink looks good on some people. They posted a picture on modblog not too long ago of a black girl with a white ink tattoo, and I think it looks pretty awesome. I think the geek life tattoo is silly, but I'm not knocking it. If thats what you want, thats what you want.
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #806 on: 26 Mar 2008, 11:49 »

They fade a bit but it's a world of difference between something that will last ten years without needing work and something that'll fade very quickly. Take that tattoo above for example, to maintain that will be an expensive business and considering the increased chance of rejection with white ink it could have been a load of money down the pan for nothing. A lot of it is a matter of taste though as you say, I wouldn't really see the point in a barely visible tattoo myself and to me that tattoo above looks like she fell asleep in the sun with a shit tribal stencil on her back. Urgh.
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #807 on: 26 Mar 2008, 14:54 »

You have to admit that there are MUCH worse tattoos out there though. It is maybe not worth the money for a large back piece like that, but what about something smaller that is intended to be discreet anyway?
Not everyone wants a huge colorful tattoo, it's a matter of personal taste.
Denn Du Bist, Was Du Isst   (you are what you eat)
also, related to burning stuff: a friend threw up on a hot water heater once, the vomit steam burned her face. awesome!

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #808 on: 26 Mar 2008, 15:28 »

It's perfectly possible to be discrete and subtle with black or coloured ink though, or alternatively scarification. On most people they really do look like you've fallen asleep in the sun which just doesn't appeal to me as a look (if someone doesn't want permanence they could always just do that, use tanning to put a design on their body), and people with dark skin have a much higher chance of rejection so despite it looking better on them it's not too advisable.

jodizzle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Stairs will tear us apart
« Reply #809 on: 26 Mar 2008, 16:53 »

Why can't everyone just get along? People who don't like white tattoos stop whining about them becauyse no one is forcing you to get one.  People who like them good for you, personally I think manda would look hot with a white tattoo.

As for me, I don't care either way, I just though this whole wah wah wah white tattoos was kind of annoying.

PS My brother has pretty much finished designing my tattoo.  I am both thrilled and terrified!
Quote from: Hannah in Meebly
you it be the mics taht are broked?
Quote from: ViolentDove
But then again, I used to dress like the bastard child of a drug-addled punk and a shrubbery.

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #810 on: 26 Mar 2008, 17:30 »

Why can't everyone just get along? People who don't like white tattoos stop whining about them because no one is forcing you to get one.  People who like them good for you, personally I think manda would look hot with a white tattoo.

I know this is right above me, but I agree 100%.
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #811 on: 26 Mar 2008, 23:53 »

Tattoos are art. If you can't discuss your opinion on art then what the hell can you talk about? There's nothing nasty about it or anything to get bothered by. If you're going to go and get some art permanently put onto your body there's no point in being all precious about it, if that's the kind of thing that's going to bother you then getting a tattoo is probably a really bad idea anyway.

jodizzle

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #812 on: 27 Mar 2008, 00:06 »

What? What does that even mean?

All I'm saying is it is really dumb to berrate people for wanting to get something they like tattooed on them.  If they want a white tattoo then you don't tell them NOT to because you think they are ugly.  Let them get the tattoo they want.  It is one thing to explain the drawbacks of a certain kind of tattoo, it is another to say they are ugly, and then not let go of trying to convince them to not get the tattoo they want.
And I don't see why thinking someone who makes fun of other people's tattoos (or plans for tattoos) is wasting everyone's time is any form of reason to not get one yourself.  That is the dumbest logic I have ever heard.

now can we please go back to the posting of people's tattoos, because regaurdless of whether or not what is posted is 'my thing' I still enjoy looking at them.
« Last Edit: 27 Mar 2008, 00:10 by ebony_willow »
But then again, I used to dress like the bastard child of a drug-addled punk and a shrubbery.

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #813 on: 27 Mar 2008, 23:22 »

The first few posts about it were pretty informative, you'd have to admit. I didn't know that the ink was so much different with all the extra risks (okay "risks" since rejection isn't really going to hurt you any).

But more on topic, I went in on March 4th to get something drawn up- a stocking of a bunch of creepy monsters in the style of Creatures in my Head. The guy said he'd have something ready in about a week, so after a week and a half, I sent an email asking about the progress, and I haven't heard anything back. Then I called today; the artist was with another client but I gave all my contact information and he still never got back to me. I'm a little worried about this... I know the studio is nice and clean (which is really my main criteria) and the artist is a very good tattooist, but the lack of communication doesn't seem that professional.

I'm wondering, from people more tattooed than me, or not, if I should just go in, grab the papers and stuff I gave him for reference and go somewhere else. Or am I just being too paranoid? He might just be really busy.
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

jodizzle

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #814 on: 27 Mar 2008, 23:48 »

Yeah I apologise for being cranky, I am just sensitive to people who think that because they do/don't like something everyone else should too, because I have some friends who are really bad like that and can get reaaalllllly mean about it.

So I am sorry if I am a crazy person, carry on.

ThePQ4

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #815 on: 28 Mar 2008, 06:53 »

okay "risks" since rejection isn't really going to hurt you any).

...Rejection spots can become infected. If it gets bad enough, you could loose limbs, depending on where the tattoo is. However, I think it's pretty rare for ink to reject, and if it does, the ink usually just seeps out.

As for your other problem, chances are your artist just lost your contact information or has been really busy. Try calling HIM first before you ask for your stuff back to go to a different shop.

ackblom12

« Reply #816 on: 28 Mar 2008, 16:45 »

Getting a tattoo period can lead to infection and all the more nasty things that infections can lead to. It is an open wound after all.

Of course if you aren't rubbing fecal matter on it it's probably not a problem. Same goes for rejection. The much more real issue with rejection of ink is the scar tissue that you can develop because of it. Honestly though, if I recall correctly red ink has a much nastier rejection/allergy rate than white ink. The main issue that so few artist are good at eying white pieces which leads to drilling the ink in too deep or not deep enough and all the other things that can lead to a tattoo not taking properly and intense scarring. Plus white pieces are already faint to begin with, so the slightest fading can render them almost invisible.

A white Tat done properly though can look absolutely gorgeous,. especially if you get white ink work done over solid black pieces.

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #817 on: 28 Mar 2008, 18:58 »

A white Tat done properly though can look absolutely gorgeous,. especially if you get white ink work done over solid black pieces.

This.

From the people I have spoken to (granted, not that many) white ink is a good option if your willing to basically get an undercoat in black first so that the white stands out more and so the tattooist knows how deep to put the needle. I've also heard that UV ink is safer if put over an existing tattoo but I wouldn't want to risk it anyway, besides I am so very rarely under blacklights that there would be no point (the world needs more blacklights).

As for red ink, I've known/seen people with healing red ink tattoos and it looks fuzzy. Obviously the scab is going to be raised a little, and I actually really like the look of a raised, black ink tattoo, but I once saw a guy with a big red design on his forearm, it looked like a red fungus had taken over a big circle of skin - the scab was raised about 1.5cm off of his skin and it looked like it had just melded together. So as far as I could see the dude just had a big red circle tattooed on him.

Personally I prefer black and grey shading tattooes. I'm never getting any colour tatts.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #818 on: 28 Mar 2008, 22:04 »

(the world needs more blacklights).

QFT

Personally I prefer black and grey shading tattooes. I'm never getting any colour tatts.

I agree. I really really like black and gray tattoos. So far everyone I'd like to get is like that. I think it goes back to my love of old school etchings, and my time in printmaking, where I mostly printed things in black.

PickItUpPutItDown

« Reply #819 on: 04 Apr 2008, 23:49 »

Got my tattoo colored:

Ballard

• Older than Moses
  • This is my happening and it freaks me out!
« Reply #820 on: 06 Apr 2008, 21:07 »

Got two questions and a compliment for you.

How much did that cost and how long do you expect it to last before it fades and looks crappy?

P.S. it looks fucking AWESOME right now

P.P.S. I'm not asking to be a dick, I just think intricate colored tattoos are the most beautiful, but as far as I know an expensive and short term investment
I'm like the boy who cried "you guys are faggots"

pilsner

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #821 on: 06 Apr 2008, 21:41 »

Also: where did you get it done?

PickItUpPutItDown

« Reply #822 on: 07 Apr 2008, 04:45 »

Got two questions and a compliment for you.

How much did that cost and how long do you expect it to last before it fades and looks crappy?

P.S. it looks fucking AWESOME right now

P.P.S. I'm not asking to be a dick, I just think intricate colored tattoos are the most beautiful, but as far as I know an expensive and short term investment

150 for the black work and 150 for the coloring.
Hopefully a long time with some good care-taking! I've heard a lot of horror stories about shitty looking colored tattoos, but it's just too beautiful to pass up.

Also: where did you get it done?

Massive Tattoo Studio
5320 Cameron Ave
Las Vegas, NV 89118

Got it done by Roofe.
There are 4 people working there plus an apprentice and they all do wonderful work.

PickItUpPutItDown

« Reply #823 on: 11 Apr 2008, 04:03 »

My calvin and hobbes tattoo is totally way cooler, sorry broseph.

No picture, no care.

ThePQ4

« Reply #824 on: 11 Apr 2008, 06:37 »

It's a couple of pages back. Therefore you should care.
(It is way cool...but I like just about any tattoo, so I'm not like picking a favorite)

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #825 on: 11 Apr 2008, 13:52 »

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

PickItUpPutItDown

« Reply #826 on: 11 Apr 2008, 14:30 »

That's a beautiful tattoo. I was considering getting that one as well.
It's just too sad.
Looks amazing, though, definately.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #827 on: 11 Apr 2008, 17:09 »

OK GUYS IT'S TIME TO TELL ME I'M STUPID AGAIN

It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

ThePQ4

« Reply #828 on: 11 Apr 2008, 17:29 »

Looks nice (It's probably some kind of a cultural reference that I don't understand...), the work is pretty darn solid, man.

Omg, that reminds me... I hate it when people walk up behind me, see my Rogue tattoo and go, "Daaaaamn, that's some pretty solid work, lookit those lines!" ...Like, duh. If the line work was shitty, I wouldn't be showing it off. Dur.  [/rant]

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #829 on: 11 Apr 2008, 17:35 »

For the record, it's Bill Hicks.

Also for the record, this is the second tattoo I have of a man smoking a cigarette on my arm, who was well-known for doing lots of psychedelic drugs. I don't smoke, and I've never taken psychedelics.

ThePQ4

« Reply #830 on: 11 Apr 2008, 17:48 »

You live vicariously through them then. That's cool.

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #831 on: 12 Apr 2008, 00:33 »

I would never call anyone stupid if it had anything to do with them liking Bill Hicks. I like the pseudo-stencil style that it's in and it definitely looks like the man. How fresh is it?

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #832 on: 12 Apr 2008, 01:28 »

I got it yesterday! I like all-black-ink pieces because they don't scab over as much.

öde

« Reply #833 on: 12 Apr 2008, 04:28 »

Would a red and white piece scab over lots then?

PickItUpPutItDown

« Reply #834 on: 12 Apr 2008, 04:40 »

It might have been the artist or my care, but my tattoo healed extremely nicely.
No scabs, no fade.

What have other peoples' experiences been with color tattoos?

ThePQ4

« Reply #835 on: 12 Apr 2008, 06:40 »

The large color piece I have on the back of my leg (pic for reference:Rogue ) healed VERY nicely. It took long time to heal (almost a month), but I didn't have any problems with scabbing. I broke out from the ointment I put on it, but that went away after I could stop using it. The peice on the side/front of my leg however (pic for reference:Storm)...wow. It scabbed over in a couple of spots, one of which is really noticeable and I'm going to have to get fixed. It also got really dry, no matter how much lotion I put on it. I still haven't gotten it touched up yet because it's on my shin, and it really hurt...

My Dark Mark on my arm healed with only one problem. There was one spot which my artist apologizes profusely for because he thinks he just overworked the spot too much, because it's kind of impossible to fill now. But it's OK. There's at least 1 spot in all of my tattoos that is slightly wonky, but that just means they're mine.

PickItUpPutItDown

« Reply #836 on: 15 Apr 2008, 05:14 »

That's an awesome dark mark! I'll be getting on some day.

Thanks for the input.

jodizzle

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #837 on: 20 Apr 2008, 23:20 »

So last night I had a dream that doctors used anisthetic on me beofre I got a tattoo (I got a giant duck...on my thigh? whaaat?).

Smeone tell me why anisthetic is not an option, because it makes so much sense to me!  It would take the blinding fear out of getting a tattoo.  Like, have it as an extra option for extra cost!

Give me logical reasons guys, not Emilio's answer of: Because like, it wouldn't be Real, you know?
« Last Edit: 20 Apr 2008, 23:26 by ebony_willow »

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #838 on: 20 Apr 2008, 23:32 »

Young lady anesthetic is a very limited resource and to suggest getting it for something as trivial as vanity is, frankly put, insulting to the medical community, nay, the world at large.

Or, sack up. It wouldn't be Real if you got it under the gas.

ackblom12

« Reply #839 on: 20 Apr 2008, 23:38 »

Not to mention the fact that there are a ton of possible medical complications and legality issues with someone who isn't licensed to practice medicine using anesthetics.

Slick

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • I am become biscuit
« Reply #840 on: 20 Apr 2008, 23:44 »

(Actually, I think I was joking about the supply issues. An anesthetist would not be cheap, though, and they are in high demand)

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics
« Reply #841 on: 20 Apr 2008, 23:45 »

you could also use topical anaesthetic though.

[20:29] Quietus: Haha oh shit Morbid Anal Fog
[20:29] Quietus: I had forgotten about them

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
« Reply #842 on: 20 Apr 2008, 23:48 »

Well couldn't you have a person licensed to do it there? I got a local anaesthetic when I got my nose pierced and there was no problem with it. It was the same stuff they use for when you go to the dentists, so why couldn't, if you had someone properly trained to do it, there be local anaesthetics used at tattoo parlours? It would make me much more likely to go get the tattoo I want, because it's going to hurt a lot and I am a wuss.
Quote from: Drunk Pete
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #843 on: 20 Apr 2008, 23:49 »

From my understanding it basically comes down to the fact that to administer anaesthetics you have to basically be an Anaesthetist. Which is similar to being a doctor. Which very few tattooists are, nor could most afford to pay one a reasonable salary.

Besides, I like to think that the pain of getting a tattoo, which to be fair is not a lot but enough so that it hurts, is all part of the cost of getting one. I guess it all goes back to a romantic notion I have of tattooes being rites of passage or marks of honour or something.
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

E. Spaceman

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics The Sonics
« Reply #844 on: 20 Apr 2008, 23:55 »

Because it wouldn't be like, Real, you know?

I'd like to mention that i'm only poking fun at you, james
[20:29] Quietus: Haha oh shit Morbid Anal Fog
[20:29] Quietus: I had forgotten about them

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #845 on: 21 Apr 2008, 00:00 »

To be fair, it is basically what I was saying.

jodizzle

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #846 on: 21 Apr 2008, 00:09 »

Well couldn't you have a person licensed to do it there? I got a local anaesthetic when I got my nose pierced and there was no problem with it. It was the same stuff they use for when you go to the dentists, so why couldn't, if you had someone properly trained to do it, there be local anaesthetics used at tattoo parlours? It would make me much more likely to go get the tattoo I want, because it's going to hurt a lot and I am a wuss.

This is why I like Hannah, because she thinks the same as me.

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #847 on: 21 Apr 2008, 00:22 »

Unfortunately you both think wrong.

Even the body piercers I know will not use any kind of anaesthetic because they are not licensed to do so. As far as piercings go if someone is trained properly then it won't hurt that much and certainly a lot less than if you get pierced by some jackass with a piercing gun.

Oh and dentists are only allowed to administer anaesthetics because they are licensed to do so.

Eris

• Duck attack survivor
  • bzzzz
« Reply #848 on: 21 Apr 2008, 00:28 »

That is what I am saying, though. I got it done by someone licensed to use the anaesthetic. What is stopping tattooists from doing the same deal? They could charge an extra fee if someone wants it, but you don't necessarily have to have it.
Quote from: Drunk Pete
MACHINS CON ESFU EPETE

ThePQ4

« Reply #849 on: 21 Apr 2008, 06:41 »

Some people actually do use an anesthetic of some kind (read on the about:tattoo page), but the thing is is that they don't last long enough, and they take a long time to set. So you're waiting for half an hour, and then you've only got half an hour/hour to tattoo, and if you're only there for half an hour, what's a bit of pain??? And for a BIG tattoo, it's silly to use it, and have to stop to reapply over and over again.
Basically, it's just a waste of time, and if you -really- want a tattoo, you'll grow a pair.
 ...I'll find the about.com page that talks about this if you'd like. (Found!)

« Last Edit: 21 Apr 2008, 06:44 by ThePQ4 »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 97   Go Up