THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 05:53
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 97   Go Down

Author Topic: Der Tattoo Thread.  (Read 755576 times)

Gemmwah

• Bling blang blong blung
  • fffffffffffffffffff
Re: Der Tattoo Thread.
« Reply #950 on: 18 May 2008, 17:28 »

I love Modblog, it's just about my favourite blog on the internet. In fact it probably is my favourite. Such awesome stuff on there, I could just sit and read it for days.

Anyway, I've almost finalised the design on my next tattoo, i just need to take it down to the artist so he can give me an estimate and then get the money together for a beautiful weekend of tattooing in Winchester. I'm now in the process of finding a good scarification artist so I can get a piece on my forearm, and I probably will have my nose pierced tomorrow in one way or another, we'll see.
oh good god 4lko jaeger bomb. Holy goood god what have I done.
 :psyduck: psyduck is the most appropriate right now. FUUUUKC

ampersandwitch

• The Tickler
  • cuntstruck
« Reply #951 on: 18 May 2008, 19:11 »

Emaline, I saw you on modblog, in the comments, I mean - it was the one about the Xiu Xiu lyrics.

I like modblog because it has piercings gone wrong, and I had one of those once upon a time.  Good stuff, modblog!

NarwhalSunshine

« Reply #952 on: 18 May 2008, 20:55 »

I decided to not get the unicorn because it would involve shaving my leg, whichh because of my ocd would lead to shaving the other, and that would take too long and it doesn't seem worth it so I'm thinking about getting a T.H. Huxley tattoo because I've wanted one forever. I've decided I'm getting "The great tragedy of science is the slaying of a beautiful hypothesis by an ugly fact"
« Last Edit: 19 May 2008, 15:07 by NarwhalSunshine »

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
« Reply #953 on: 18 May 2008, 22:45 »

Heh, brother once shaved one of my leg's whilst I was sleeping and I had to shave the other one. 

The whole thing about maori tattoos being discussed earlier has me slightly curious, culturally do they use modern equipment or go about it the traditional method I wonder

Boro_Bandito

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #954 on: 19 May 2008, 00:07 »

After perusing Modblog and seeing some of the more freakish/insane stuff that they've got on there, doing a little bit of scarification or something doesn't sound like such a bad idea. If there are people who can do the sorts of stuff that I saw in the extreme section, there's no reason why I shouldn't get a tattoo or piercing or two.

Also, the piercings gone wrong compare nothing to the story of impgrin.
Yeah, I mean, "I won't kill and eat you if you won't kill and eat me" is typically a ground rule for social groups.

CamusCanDo

• Curry sauce
« Reply #955 on: 19 May 2008, 01:44 »

The whole thing about maori tattoos being discussed earlier has me slightly curious, culturally do they use modern equipment or go about it the traditional method I wonder

There are people who do use the chisel and mallet, but it's a very small percentage. For the most part yeah it is modern equipment that's used. It really depends on your preference on method, obviously.

Anyways, I totally know what you mean man. It's been a while now I've wanted to get something done on me. I didn't think scarification would be something I'd consider but I'll be damned if it doesn't look so friggin' cool! I think this year will finally be the year I get a tattoo though. I need to do some serious creative thinking here.

David_Dovey

• Nearly grown up
  • j'accuse!
« Reply #956 on: 19 May 2008, 06:13 »

There are people who do use the chisel and mallet, but it's a very small percentage. For the most part yeah it is modern equipment that's used. It really depends on your preference on method, obviously.

There are people who do use the chisel and mallet

the chisel and mallet

chisel and mallet

OWWWWWWWWWWCH

It's a roasted cocoa bean, commonly found in vaginas.

Drill King

• Duck attack survivor
  • The Monster of Man
« Reply #957 on: 19 May 2008, 13:06 »

Hand poking is awweeesooome. Namely because usually you're in a cool country at the same time(most hand poking doesn't occur in North America)

I'm probably getting a double helix done sometime this week, but I'm not sure..

Oh yeah, I was gonna ask in here, I'm trying to figure what I want to do with my ears, right now I have two lobes and a conch in one ear, should I go for symmetry and mirror what I do on each ear or go with different ones?
King of Kings baby.

photoblog tumblr

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #958 on: 19 May 2008, 14:34 »

I am in awe of and love with the nose tattoos on the guy who's scars you linked. Holy shit, who knew a nose tattoo could look so good?
Denn Du Bist, Was Du Isst   (you are what you eat)
also, related to burning stuff: a friend threw up on a hot water heater once, the vomit steam burned her face. awesome!

ackblom12

« Reply #959 on: 19 May 2008, 14:41 »

I agree with A 100%, B is true to a certain extent. I'd say that's a good rule to follow if you're dipping your toes into getting tattooed and in general it's a great reason to get a tattoo, but I also think the thought that a tattoo has to mean something important has gotten too ingrained in people's minds. You just have to have the right mind set to understand that it's quite possible that 1, 2, 5 or 10+ years down the line you might not like that image as much as you used to. Have the idea in your mind. If you can draw it up, or get it drawn up and have it hung in a visible place like the bathroom for a couple months to make sure you still like it.

Oh yeah, I was gonna ask in here, I'm trying to figure what I want to do with my ears, right now I have two lobes and a conch in one ear, should I go for symmetry and mirror what I do on each ear or go with different ones?

Personally, I'd say symmetry. But I'm also a symmetry whore.

ledhendrix

• Vagina Manifesto
  • *poke*
« Reply #960 on: 19 May 2008, 14:54 »

A double helix would be great, it would be brilliant to have one going right up your back.
Get off my land

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #961 on: 19 May 2008, 20:44 »

this.

That guy makes me swoon.

(I even commented on that post saying so.)

sigh

ETA: Can we make this a body mod thread, as opposed to just a tattoo thread? I think that'd be swell. Especially, since the two kinda go hand in hand. I'm talking about discussing piercings, scarification, suspension, etc.

Also, I agree with Anyways, but I'd also like to add: Even if I got a bad tattoo, I don't know if I'd 100% regret it. I mean, at least I lived through that experience, and it would be a reminder of a piece of my life. I have a friend who has a small tattoo on his ankle. I've never seen it, but he tells me it looks horrible. It was done by some nazi punk kid while he was in Germany. He regrets the tattoo, but I think thats awesome. I mean, first of all, it shows some massive balls to just let some dude tattoo you like that. Sure it's hella dangerous, but I mean, I don't know. It just fucking awesome*. And it is a reminder of being in Germany. I mean, that right there is all kinds of awesome.

*Yes, I realize the incredibly high risk of hepatitis, and whatnot.

As for other body mods, I am highly interested in suspension. I don't know. It just intrigues me. I want to try it, but I'm also afraid of ripping my skin off. But skin is pretty damn strong. Anybody else interested in it at all?

Also, what piercings, and mods other than tattoos are you guys sporting? Currently, I have my septum pierced, as well as a vertical labret. I'm working on stretching my ears, I think I'm gonna go to 0, right now I'm at 4.

I've been stretching with natural jewelry, and currently have bone cbrs in my ears, and I absolutely love them! They are so pretty!

I'm also kinda considering getting my bridge pierced, but I'm kinda thinking it may look silly. Is that too much face metal?
« Last Edit: 19 May 2008, 21:12 by Emaline »
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

abadname

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • double plus good
    • http://www.myspace.com/roseofsharyn7
« Reply #962 on: 19 May 2008, 21:42 »

I set an appointment to get another pin up girl on my other calf on friday the 30th, pictures to follow.

I am extremely stoked on this,

I like pin up girls
         /
     :-D

ackblom12

« Reply #963 on: 19 May 2008, 22:07 »

I'm very intrigued by suspension. I figure eventually I'll decide if I 100% want to hang, until then I'm quite happy to watch.

I don't actually have a lot of current work done on me right now. Just my 2g tongue (soon to be split), 1/2" lobes and my tongue web i had removed so that I could get the tongue scalpeled. The lobes I'm stretching up to 9/16" after my wedding this weekend and in the long run will be stopping somewhere between 1 1/4" and 2".

I've had a more work done, mostly piercings,  but had to remove most of it due to healing issues, work, pneumonia blah blah blah. I'm actually planning on getting a majority of it redone when I think I can keep them long term.

I don't know, I have a ridiculous amount of modification work I want done. Multiple piercing projects, large number of tattoos are planned, possibly a scarification piece and I'm considering implant work. Just so many things to do, so little money and body to do it with. :P

Now that I think of it, just because they're purty, I'm wearing a pair of Tiger's Eye concave plugs for my wedding.

http://roguebodycrafts.com/images/tigerseyeplugs2.jpeg <--- Not my plugs, but I can't seem to get a good picture of them so this will have to do.

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #964 on: 19 May 2008, 22:33 »

I am highly thinking about seeking an apprenticeship in piercing. I don't know. I think I want to do it. Maybe.
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

Devoidless

• Not quite a lurker
  • Crazed calamitous cook
« Reply #965 on: 19 May 2008, 22:43 »

I have been wanting to extend my quarter sleeve to a half for a while now...but I always forget to save money for it. If I can find a decent picture, I will toss it up on here.

I love tattoos...and piercings...mmm....

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #966 on: 19 May 2008, 22:49 »

I am getting my half sleeve (I changed my mind from the stocking to sleeve) done on Thursday the 29th. It looks pretty neat; a bunch of super creepy monsters in just black in the style of Creatures in my Head. My tattooist kind of sucks in that he would say he'd contact me in a week, and I wouldn't hear anything for about a month or so... just that lack of professionalism annoyed me but he's apologized a bunch, and he does really great work and clean lines are all I want (like a coloring book. There are no blowouts and jagged lines in coloring books).
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

NarwhalSunshine

« Reply #967 on: 20 May 2008, 01:13 »

Also, what piercings, and mods other than tattoos are you guys sporting?
1/2 gauges in my ears. I want my lips and my right nostril done and I could get them for really cheap but any face piercings and Dan(my dad)* will kick me out.

*no, my dad's name isn't Dan, I wouldn't call him that if it was.

Darkbluerabbit

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • SKULL BABIES!
« Reply #968 on: 20 May 2008, 01:26 »

I am quite interested in suspensions.  My main apprehension is that suspensions are traditionally part of a religious ritual, that I do not believe in.  I am agnostic, but I'm a respectful agnostic, and I feel weird about participating in rituals that I don't understand.

Gemmwah

• fffffffffffffffffff
« Reply #969 on: 20 May 2008, 02:34 »

So far modification wise, I've got 6 lobe piercings, my conch and pinna on my right ear, my rook on my left ear, my lip, tongue and nostril, and two tattoos. I'm dying to get more piercings and tattoos done, I love getting them done and I love basking in the glow of a new one too. I really want to get an apprenticeship in piercing and I've got a few local places looking out for apprenticeships for me, so hopefully something will come of that soon. I'm gonna keep bugging people until I get something. My next mod will hopefully be a tattoo that I either want done by Mr Bubba of Winchester, or Ben Boston of Bristol, but I reckon I'll get another piercing done first because I'm a twat like that. Probably my septum.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #970 on: 20 May 2008, 03:50 »

any face piercings and Dan(my dad)* will kick me out.

This happened to me, it isn't worth it. I did have my nose pierced but school wouldn't let me sit my exams with it in (total discrimination, masses of people already had facial piercings). I want to get the top of my left ear done, I'll maybe get a cuff but I've always thought about a stud or a ring. When I move out I'll get my nose re-done, if they can repierce where it's healed up. Does anyone know if there are problems with this? It healed a couple of days after I'd got it done but it slightly altered the shape of my nose, so I don't know if maybe the cartiledge has thickened or something.

Personally I'm not a fan of symmetry, I'm not sure why but I think it looks cooler if you have different things done on each side.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

CamusCanDo

• Curry sauce
« Reply #971 on: 20 May 2008, 05:40 »

I feel like a total pussy after the above posts. I have nothing done what so ever. I badly want a tattoo and after looking into it I'm really fascinated by scarification. As for piercings I've wanted to get my lobes stretched/gauged (really not down with the lingo here) for years now but have always put it to the back of my mind for the fact that I didn't think I actually wanted them, after 5 years of consideration, turns out I do! So I have questions on the stretching/gauging. As I understand it there's two ways to get this done, to stretch the lobe or scaple it. Or I'm totally wrong and have no idea what I'm talking about? Let's pretend that I do know what I'm talking about. I don't have my ears pierced so would it be easier to get my ears pierced or scalpled?

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #972 on: 20 May 2008, 07:08 »

If you have the patience for it, go for the piercing and gradual stretching. It will probably smell bad and ache a lot when you go up a size, but that is what tapers and taking it slow are for.
Scalpeling feels like cheating to me, but hey. Also it bleeds a lot.
also, related to burning stuff: a friend threw up on a hot water heater once, the vomit steam burned her face. awesome!

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #973 on: 20 May 2008, 08:23 »

I have a couple of piercings (left eyebrow, two niobium rings with captive steel beads through both of my ears). I probably wouldn't get anymore as I'm pretty happy with them and I don't feel that any more would add anything at all to my features. I am looking at getting a new tattoo but not until I've lost some weight. It's kind of a silly design, the X-Men symbol, similar to what Nate Grey has on his chest but it would be on my shoulder, directly on the joint like a shoulder plate. I'm not worried about regretting it, I'll always be a giant nerd and this is merely evidence of that and I'm ok with it. I do believe that tattoos should hold some personal significance, but that doesn't mean they have to be lame!
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

ackblom12

« Reply #974 on: 20 May 2008, 08:52 »

Let's pretend that I do know what I'm talking about. I don't have my ears pierced so would it be easier to get my ears pierced or scalpled?

Pierced, mostly because you've never had anything pierced. Getting it pierced and stretching up will let you learn how to gauge when your ears are feeling good, ready to stretch and learn how to properly take care of them rather than jumping right into a larger size. Any idea what you're goal size is?

There's also the issue that many artist who offer services that involve a scalpel aren't exactly 100% open about it. They may advertise the hell out of their services on something like Modblog, BME or IAM, but there's no guarantee they'll tell you they perform such a service over the phone. It's sketchy legal territory.

Drill King

• Duck attack survivor
  • The Monster of Man
« Reply #975 on: 20 May 2008, 11:19 »

To anyone that mentioned Double helix as a tattoo, no I mean as in the upper cartiledge styled piercings.

I really love tattoos but at this moment in time I don't know if I want one. I kinda like the way my skin looks on it's own. However, I know it'll go back and forth, however piercings, there's my love, they're expensive around here though so :|

Also, interested in suspension? Yes, I am very much so, I am potentially going to Brazil next March break and I'm sorta interested in seeing if I can do it out there.

Also, to anyone with gauges, How do they feel? Do you notice them much? I've heard they can smell really weird sometimes, do you find that your jewelry gets knocked out a lot? Etc?

I've been thinking about stretching my lobes just a wee bit, but I'm trying to weigh out the pros and cons, and alas the list of cons is a bit longer right now.

..Also, everytime I say I don't want a tattoo, I really want a tattoo. Curse my fickle heart.
King of Kings baby.

photoblog tumblr

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #976 on: 20 May 2008, 11:28 »

Gaugeing really does smell pretty awful. I've heard different plug/taper materials smell less than others though, and it would be worth it to figure what they are if you're trying to gauge. Chris had his ear to a 00 for a while there and pshooo it reeked now and then.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
« Reply #977 on: 20 May 2008, 11:42 »

Gaugeing really does smell pretty awful. I've heard different plug/taper materials smell less than others though, and it would be worth it to figure what they are if you're trying to gauge. Chris had his ear to a 00 for a while there and pshooo it reeked now and then.

I am not as skilled in search-fu as tommy; I attempted to find the post where tania likened her piercings to her ass, but came up short. I did however happen upon this thread:
http://forums.questionablecontent.net/index.php/topic,7863.msg240218.html#msg240218

I miss the good ole days.

ackblom12

« Reply #978 on: 20 May 2008, 12:06 »

Yeah, larger guage piercings can smell pretty awful if you don't keep up with cleaning them.  Organic materials tend to keep the smell down a lot since they're porous and absorb the natural oils and stuff.

Stone, Wood, Bamboo, Bone and the like are all great for keeping the smell in check, but generally just cleaning them regularly will usually keep the smell down.

As for how they feel? Well, at 1/2" I honestly don't really physically notice them most of the time. Once you have them a while they're just like any other piercing. You love them and you know they're there, but you're not constantly aware of them.
« Last Edit: 20 May 2008, 12:24 by ackblom12 »

Gemmwah

• fffffffffffffffffff
« Reply #979 on: 20 May 2008, 12:18 »

Oh lord the funk. It get seriously gnarly but using the natural materials does help a little. Also cleaning them regularly. I miss my stretched lobes, but I for sure do not miss the funk.

Aminal

« Reply #980 on: 20 May 2008, 12:46 »

I, uh, I sort of slightly enlarged my scarification today. Does it make me a sadist that I feel fucking amazing when I rub salt in it? :-(

No, it makes you a masochist, you badass!

öde

« Reply #981 on: 20 May 2008, 13:24 »

I guess I'm interested in trying suspension because I want to see how much like flying it feels.

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #982 on: 20 May 2008, 13:52 »

Probably not very much. From what i've heard, it's mostly hanging still with maybe someone giving you a bit of a shove to make you swing.
Want to fly? Harness jumps and skydiving are your friends. Maybe hang-gliding.

Drill King

• Duck attack survivor
  • The Monster of Man
« Reply #983 on: 20 May 2008, 14:10 »

I really love tattoos but at this moment in time I don't know if I want one. I kinda like the way my skin looks on it's own. However, I know it'll go back and forth, however piercings, there's my love, they're expensive around here though so :|
In that case, don't get one. If you're not 100% about it, don't. Wait until you know for certain.

I, uh, I sort of slightly enlarged my scarification today. Does it make me a sadist that I feel fucking amazing when I rub salt in it? :-(

It's not so much an aspect about wanting one really, well kinda.

I'm back and forth on every aspect of my life ever, takes me forever to just order FOOD blarrgh.

Do they ALWAYS smell? Here's a question, do they ever really 'heal'? In the sense you can just leave them alone? And to the people who have gotten them closed up, did  you
Yeah, larger guage piercings can smell pretty awful if you don't keep up with cleaning them.  Organic materials tend to keep the smell down a lot since they're porous and absorb the natural oils and stuff.

Stone, Wood, Bamboo, Bone and the like are all great for keeping the smell in check, but generally just cleaning them regularly will usually keep the smell down.

As for how they feel? Well, at 1/2" I honestly don't really physically notice them most of the time. Once you have them a while they're just like any other piercing. You love them and you know they're there, but you're not constantly aware of them.
Do they ALWAYS smell? Here's a question, do they ever really 'heal'? In the sense you can just leave them alone? And to the people who have gotten them closed up, did  you have to get the sutured or..?
King of Kings baby.

photoblog tumblr

öde

« Reply #984 on: 20 May 2008, 14:14 »

Probably not very much. From what i've heard, it's mostly hanging still with maybe someone giving you a bit of a shove to make you swing.
Want to fly? Harness jumps and skydiving are your friends. Maybe hang-gliding.

There's still the sort-of-floating/levitating aspect. I'm actually afraid of heights, but I want to try hang-gliding.

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #985 on: 20 May 2008, 14:16 »

Drill King, so long as you don't go past a 0, it will probably eventually heal and will look pretty normal if you take it out now and then. Anything larger and it'll look like a cat's ass when you take out the jewelry.

Skibas_clavicle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Mo' money, mo' problem.
« Reply #986 on: 20 May 2008, 15:10 »

My best friend went to half inch (or maybe 00) and her's closed up quite nicely. I, however, have no desire to ever really get rid of mine. I've been at my size for like 3.5 years now, I'd say. I always got so mad when prissy old ladies (ie. my condescending high school guidance counselor) used to tell me that "Hey, you know that won't go back! You'll have big holes in your ears forever." I just wish they'd shove their fucking smugness because I was frankly much more informed about body mods then any of them were.
I like the way you work it.

Gemmwah

• fffffffffffffffffff
« Reply #987 on: 20 May 2008, 15:33 »

I took my first lobe hole (the one with the hoop in) up to 8mm, which according to my conversion chart is an 0ga.

That's the jewellery that was in it when it split while I was asleep, trying to avoid sleeping on a very fresh and very bloody rook.

The split made quite a mess, and I did go to A&E, they put loads of antiseptic cream on and slapped a massive gauze on it, which to be honest made it worse as it stayed wet and sore until I got annoyed and stopped re-dressing it. Once it'd cleared up a bit I stuck a regular earring back in, determined not to entirely lose the hole, and it's been fine ever since. I might start stretching it again, but I haven't decided whether once was enough or not.

Ballard

• Older than Moses
  • This is my happening and it freaks me out!
« Reply #988 on: 20 May 2008, 16:05 »

I recently got a captive bead on my left lobe which I've wanted for years. It's place to start, and now that's it's practically healed, I realize that I want more. I need your guys advice on what would look good, or whether it's a good idea for me to get more at all.

There's no good photos of my lobe but here's what I looked like three days ago.

I had in mind a right eyebrow or right cartilage piercing but I'm open to suggestions.
I'm like the boy who cried "you guys are faggots"

ackblom12

« Reply #989 on: 20 May 2008, 16:06 »

Do they ALWAYS smell? Here's a question, do they ever really 'heal'? In the sense you can just leave them alone? And to the people who have gotten them closed up, did  you have to get the sutured or..?

They don't always smell, but it can differ from person to person. As long as you clean them and the plugs daily, it's not usually a real problem. God help you if you forget to clean them for a couple of days though.

OOg is usually considered the cut off point for downsizing. There's been plenty of people who could downsize from much larger sizes, but there's no guarantee at that point.

Anything larger and it'll look like a cat's ass when you take out the jewelry.

Not if you stretch properly. The main cause of Cat Ass is due to scar tissue caused my improper stretching. If you avoid the scar tissue, at the most you should have wrinkling.

sean

• welp
« Reply #990 on: 20 May 2008, 16:27 »

Eugene I think you should go for the cartilage piercing. I'm quite partial to those and will probably get one myself once I get around to getting piercings done.

Also, try photoshoping some pictures of you with different types of piercings, kinda like what Drill King did earlier in the thread. That should show you what looks good on you.
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

Ballard

• Older than Moses
  • This is my happening and it freaks me out!
« Reply #991 on: 20 May 2008, 16:43 »

Jeeeeez. Glad to hear that it ended alright.
I'm like the boy who cried "you guys are faggots"

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #992 on: 20 May 2008, 20:07 »

Right now, my worse smelling piercing is my septum. It's at 14, and has a metal cbr. Typically it only smells if I move it around a whole lot. Or if it gets bumped at a show or something.

My ears are at 4, and have bone in them. I haven't noticed a smell and no one has said anything to me. Even after playing with them.

And admittedly, I am not so great at cleaning my piercings. I mean, when I get the done, I clean the hell out of them, but after awhile, I just don't care, and they always end up fine.

Anyways, you mentioned doing a scarification. What did you get done? What is it? How'd you do it? I forgot to mention earlier, but I got really bored one night and burned a small heart into the top of my hand. I healed nicely. I should take a picture of it.

ackblom12

« Reply #993 on: 20 May 2008, 20:45 »

Guys,

http://modblog.bmezine.com/2007/05/04/ear-stretching-disaster/

fuckin' OUCH.

I think the worst part of that is that they didn't even reconstruct her right ear properly.

But yeah, eewwwwwww.
« Last Edit: 20 May 2008, 20:53 by ackblom12 »

Darkbluerabbit

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • SKULL BABIES!
« Reply #994 on: 20 May 2008, 21:32 »

I like the look of branding more than scarification, actually, even if it is less popular.  It's apparently a really smelly process. 

The ear smell is from a buildup of dead skin cells.  With big jewelry, the skin cells can't just shed away.  I've used a combination of glass and metal, and I've never had a problem with being smelly, but I clean my lobes every time I shower.  The smelliest piercing I've had was my lower navel, but that's because I had to take it out for about 6 hours when it wasn't fully healed, so forcing it back in (I am stupidly stubborn) fucked it up a bit, worse than the initial piercing.  It's finally getting close to healed properly. 

You can jump sizes with either scalpelling or with a punch, but I don't recommend either.  Stretching is an interesting process, and you get a certain satisfaction every time you go up a size.  I know this isn't true in your case, Camus, but for a mod-addict, stretching up is generally cheaper than new piercings and can delay the craving for them.  It's also a good way to figure out what suits you. 

You should wait at least two weeks between stretches, and I personally recommend at least three weeks past 4 gauge.  That story is a pretty good one.  If you stretch too fast, your best case scenario is scarring ("cat ass?") and blowout, and the worst case scenario is...well, that.

ackblom12

« Reply #995 on: 20 May 2008, 21:44 »

Honesty, at sizes beyond 6, i seriously couldn't recommend a minimum of 1 month at least no matter the size  and after 4g I wouldn't even do it without the taping method. I mean, if it works, it works, but waiting 3 - 6 months between stretches is optimal.

It's a lot of stretching your ears are doing and you got plenty of time to stretch them up. You're ears aren't magically going to disappear if you take it slow and proper, but you can get thinning or torn lobes by trying to get to your goal faster than necessary.
« Last Edit: 20 May 2008, 23:53 by ackblom12 »

Darkbluerabbit

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • SKULL BABIES!
« Reply #996 on: 20 May 2008, 22:19 »

The two weeks thing is just what I've read.  I always wait until I am utterly bored with my current jewelry, so I've always waited at least a month. 

Also Jens-

No, it makes you a masochist, you badass!

Not that masochism is necessarily badass, but really, it does look like you have a pretty good pain threshold, which is sorta badass.  I can understand being uncomfortable with enjoying something painful, but I wouldn't worry.  Maybe I'm a nutcase, but honestly, pain can be quite euphoric.  Your body produces natural "drugs" when you experience pain, so it is not uncommon to feel better than you expect about painful things. 

Aminal

« Reply #997 on: 20 May 2008, 23:00 »

I was just trying to reassure and encourage you, Jens.  You needed propping up, I'm right there for you!

...Guys, I don't think any of my piercings smell.  Guess I just lucked out there.

ackblom12

« Reply #998 on: 20 May 2008, 23:55 »

The two weeks thing is just what I've read.  I always wait until I am utterly bored with my current jewelry, so I've always waited at least a month. 

I didn't actually intend to sound like that much of a douche when i wrote that. :P

I think it's because i frequent too many LJ modification communities. Sometimes the questions and accompanying pics just make you die a little inside.

Darkbluerabbit

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • SKULL BABIES!
« Reply #999 on: 21 May 2008, 00:33 »

I don't think you were being a douche at all.  I actually agree with you, that generally more healing time is better.  The conventional wisdom is two weeks per gauge increase.  That's just dumb, in my opinion, especially at larger gauges.  Gauge is measured by diameter, but if you look at the math of it all, with every gauge you significantly increase the circumference of the jewelry, making larger gauges increasingly harder to stretch.

Circumference is diameter x pi. 

if your jewelry is 6g, then it is 4 millimeters in diameter.  Your jewelry is 12.6 millimeters around.
If you go up to 4g, that's 5 millimeters.  One little millimeter in diameter, doesn't seem big, until you do the math.  5 x pi = 15.7.
So that tiny little millimeter means an extra 3 millimeters that your earlobe needs to stretch, and it gets more dramatic the bigger you go.

Okay, no lies, I enjoy basic geometry and arithmetic (fuck algebra, geometry is where it's at) and that was my primary motivation.  Secondary motivation is: dudes, be careful with stretching your lobes and shit.   
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 97   Go Up