THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 09:26
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 97   Go Down

Author Topic: Der Tattoo Thread.  (Read 755729 times)

ThePQ4

• Asleep in the boner patch
Re: Der Tattoo Thread.
« Reply #1050 on: 02 Jun 2008, 09:36 »

Perhaps you need some kind of a special certification if you do facial tattoos --but back-of-neck-tattoos aren't that big of a deal.
I think it should be said that it isn't the PLACEMENT of the the tattoo that is what decides the cost of it --it is the size, and time it takes to do it, and sometimes coloring (depends on the shop you go too).
 But tattoos aren't something to "shop around for the best price" on. Go to a shop that does good, quality work. If you pay $10 bucks for a a $50 tattoo, there is going to be a very big quality difference. --Most shops base their price in the hours. The shop my artist just moved to is like $50 base (or for half an hour), and then goes up gradually to like $400 for five hours.

Edit: Oh yeah, on facial tattoos --a lot of (A LOT!) of artists won't even do them because of all the nerve endings in your face, that if you hit them right, could blind you, paralyze you, etc.. A girl that used to work with my Mom wanted a little star by her eye, and she had to check out like four different shops before anyone would do it --she finally found someone who would, and didn't find out until -after- it was done why it was that no one would do it. ...She was kind of an idiot.
« Last Edit: 02 Jun 2008, 09:39 by ThePQ4 »

Jimmy the Squid

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #1051 on: 02 Jun 2008, 09:46 »

I dunno, it depends what you get. For my first tattoo the first place I went quoted me $350 for what is basically a circle with some letters inside on my chest, about 7cms across. I ended up going to a different place that only charged me $220 (and even that seems like a lot for a 30 minute job). My second tattoo was at a really skeezy biker place that got shot up a few months after I went there. It took about an hour and a half and they only charged me $180, it's also my favourite tatt out of the two of them.

That said, I cannot wait for my X. I even know where I'm going (The House of Pain), though I haven't had time to get a quote. I'd like to try for before the end of July though. My friend gets all his tatts done there and apparently they are not only friendly, but reasonably priced and really very good. Which is probably why they are the most renowned tattoo parlour in Sydney (also the guy from Rose Tattoo is the owner).
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #1052 on: 02 Jun 2008, 11:44 »

And I always thought the UK was expensive. My first tattoo was supposed to cost £30 but ended up only taking about 15 minutes so I was only charged £20 (about $40 Aus). Even my upper arm was only £180 and it took long enough so that I was the only customer he could take that day. Over £100 for a half hour job is scandalous, I know people who've been tattooed by some of the best artists in the world and their rates haven't been that high.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1053 on: 02 Jun 2008, 19:59 »

My half-sleeve only cost $200 (so far, there's still about another 2 or so hours to go but that shouldn't be more than $80) which is incredibly reasonable, but it's only black ink and just outlines. So $200 for a 3.5 hour job, basically. I think that's pretty average around here (for a reputable shop anyway) but really everything is cheaper, so there's that.
What about orgasmic chemistry.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

ackblom12

« Reply #1054 on: 02 Jun 2008, 20:13 »

Edit: Oh yeah, on facial tattoos --a lot of (A LOT!) of artists won't even do them because of all the nerve endings in your face, that if you hit them right, could blind you, paralyze you, etc.. A girl that used to work with my Mom wanted a little star by her eye, and she had to check out like four different shops before anyone would do it --she finally found someone who would, and didn't find out until -after- it was done why it was that no one would do it. ...She was kind of an idiot.

I am actually 99% certain that is an urban legend in the same vein as the one about tongue piercings causing your face to potentially become paralyzed. Tattoo ink isn't dug in deep enough to cause severe nerve damage. Considering how deep ink goes, if it did, any scrape on your face would possibly cause irreparable nerve damage.

Either way, I don't tend to recommend them to anyone who ever wants a particularly professional career. A lot of jobs have relaxed standards on certain tattoos and piercings as they've become more a social norm, but a highly visible and difficult to cover tattoo such as a neck piece is the swiftest ticket to acceptance of a life outside the professional sector. Most employers still have a "no visible tats" rule (Which is why I don't plan to venture any further than half sleeves, myself).

Exactly. Tattoo shops are picky about who they do facial work on because facial ink is serious business.

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #1055 on: 02 Jun 2008, 21:23 »

Perhaps you need some kind of a special certification if you do facial tattoos --but back-of-neck-tattoos aren't that big of a deal.
I think it should be said that it isn't the PLACEMENT of the the tattoo that is what decides the cost of it --it is the size, and time it takes to do it, and sometimes coloring (depends on the shop you go too).

By your logic, if I wanted a tattoo on my vag, and the same exact tattoo on my shoulder, it should be the same price. Right? After all placement doesn't dictate price. Or maybe it does, and BME(where I got the link) and I aren't pulling facts out of our asses.

And for everybody who said not to get facial and neck tattoos because of work related reasons, have you seen dermablend?
« Last Edit: 02 Jun 2008, 21:36 by Emaline »
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

ackblom12

« Reply #1056 on: 02 Jun 2008, 21:33 »

Dermablend is amazing I agree but I do think that in most cases, people are better off not getting facial tats unless Tattoos/Body Modification are a serious part of their lifestyle. Of course, if you're willing to to apply Dermablend multiple times a week for work, then I'd say you're pretty goddamn ingrained in Body Modification culture.

Personally, it'll be a pretty good while before I go through with facial work, but it is in the long term plans.

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #1057 on: 02 Jun 2008, 21:44 »

Also, did anybody see this post on modblog? It was for me! (Warning very nsfw!)
little bitty bird, with the flaxen hair, can i help you with the weight of the cross you bear?

ackblom12

« Reply #1058 on: 02 Jun 2008, 22:01 »

I love how the nipple microdermals look. I'm really damn curious how they turn out.

NarwhalSunshine

« Reply #1059 on: 02 Jun 2008, 22:21 »

My most expensive was my Ted Kaczynski panda at $1oo, my chest was only $80 even though it's my biggest and most intricate.

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #1060 on: 02 Jun 2008, 22:31 »

Sorry excuse me, but SQUIRTLE SQUAD!

Okay, carry on.

jodizzle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Stairs will tear us apart
« Reply #1061 on: 02 Jun 2008, 23:52 »

It took me so long to work out where Squirtle Squad came into it.

Squirtle was such a dude.
Quote from: Hannah in Meebly
you it be the mics taht are broked?
Quote from: ViolentDove
But then again, I used to dress like the bastard child of a drug-addled punk and a shrubbery.

öde

« Reply #1062 on: 03 Jun 2008, 08:39 »

A guy from my school looked like Squirtle when he wore his blue tinted glasses.

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1063 on: 03 Jun 2008, 23:16 »

I'm considering a design along these general lines for the center of my upper back. Do you think the linework would get blurred and bad after not very long? I've certainly seen much more intricate designs.
Denn Du Bist, Was Du Isst   (you are what you eat)
also, related to burning stuff: a friend threw up on a hot water heater once, the vomit steam burned her face. awesome!

öde

« Reply #1064 on: 04 Jun 2008, 04:08 »

The linework should only be blurred if you had a blowout(s) which is caused by the tattooist inking you too deep. They'd fade if you exposed it to too much UV (sunlight or otherwise), and you'd need to get it touched up (unless you like it looking like that). I love the faded look in cases like this and this.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #1065 on: 04 Jun 2008, 04:39 »

That second one you linked is fantastic, I'd love something like that myself. I wonder how hard it would be to get that effect deliberately.

You're right about the skull, the linework will be fine. Not only that, it's a really good idea for a skull tattoo. I don't normally like them too much but one like that, looking like an ornate mask, would be brilliant.
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

öde

« Reply #1066 on: 04 Jun 2008, 05:05 »

You might be able to get a similar effect with dotwork.

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1067 on: 04 Jun 2008, 05:22 »

I had been trying to find a calavera/day of the dead skull I liked, but was kind of uncomfortable getting one just because I like the designs (not having any Mexican heritage). The linework guy from skull-a-day seemed like a pretty good compromise:)
also, related to burning stuff: a friend threw up on a hot water heater once, the vomit steam burned her face. awesome!

öde

« Reply #1068 on: 04 Jun 2008, 05:36 »

I totally want a El Dia de los Muertos style tattoo. I don't think it would be a problem not having any Mexican heritage, I think cultural problems only come from misunderstanding things (eg. kanji) or using sacred or official cultural things (eg. 'tribal' tattoos, tribal tattoos are used to indicate status and stuff in a tribe and using stuff from certain tribes if you're not a part of that tribe, especially if it's wrong, is pretty offensive).

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #1069 on: 04 Jun 2008, 05:43 »

The image of the skull is so massively ingrained in a lot of cultures as well. The use of it in El Día de los Muertos can be seen as a form of memento mori and that's a long-standing traditional in European art as well (Holbein's 'The Ambassadors' for example). So although the particular form it takes in Mexican culture is different I think almost anyone could feel a deep cultural connection to it.

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #1070 on: 04 Jun 2008, 10:19 »

I'm holding out on getting my skull tattoos until i'm totally sure that I can deal with my dad disowning me (which I think he would actually do, he hates all kinds of body mods) as they would be going on my forearms but I really like skulls. I don't know what it is but skulls really strike a chord with me and I actually collect them now. What I find really strange is that occasionally when I talk about the design I have people bitching to me that the skull is too cliche'd an image to have tattooed on you. It seems to get the same kind of reaction as crappy kanji tattoos or fairy tattoos. But seriously fuck that, you don't get tattoos to be popular, you get them because the image means something (for me a big part of it is that I obsess over images, drawing them all over the place and on everything that comes to hand, and so far getting those images tattooed on me stops me from doing that).
Once I got drunk and threw up in the vegetable drawer of an old disused fridge while dressed as a cat

ledhendrix

• Vagina Manifesto
  • *poke*
« Reply #1071 on: 04 Jun 2008, 14:29 »

Yeah skulls are pretty damned cool. I went down into this cave that was full of animal skulls, no one had been into it in ages and there were bits of MASSIVE bones from ancient times. I nearly wet myself with joy when I thought I found a human skull, but it wasn't. We found a cool goats skull which we stuck a gas mask on that we found as well, we stuck this to the front of our van for the rest of the holiday. It was awesome.
Get off my land

Drill King

• Duck attack survivor
  • The Monster of Man
« Reply #1072 on: 05 Jun 2008, 12:00 »

I would definitely prefer an animal skull over human.

Also, Dear QC mod-fans:

I want to get two helixes(upper cartilage) done, I was going to go today but I'm going to think about it for a week. However I need some advice.

I really want it done, and I know that. So that's not the issue, the only problem is that summer is coming up, and summer means swimming as much as I can everywhere I go, regardless of pools or the ocean. I've heard it's a really bad call to go swimming within the first 6ish months of a cartilage piercing because they tend to be stubborn healers. Also, second of all I'd be getting both at once, would that hinder healing time at all?
King of Kings baby.

photoblog tumblr

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1073 on: 05 Jun 2008, 12:09 »

Are you getting them in the same ear? I really really advise against it if you have any history of piercing infection problems, mine traded infection back and forth for months and I finally gave up after dealing with a sore, swollen, angry ear that I couldn't touch or sleep on for half a year. Then again, some people can heal from anything.

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #1074 on: 05 Jun 2008, 12:13 »

I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1075 on: 05 Jun 2008, 12:32 »

Speaking of which, I am getting my nose re-pierced, because I looked like a total fucking badass with it.

(EDIT: resized for WAY too much tits when really big)
« Last Edit: 05 Jun 2008, 12:35 by redglasscurls »

Drill King

• Duck attack survivor
  • The Monster of Man
« Reply #1076 on: 05 Jun 2008, 12:46 »

Are you getting them in the same ear? I really really advise against it if you have any history of piercing infection problems, mine traded infection back and forth for months and I finally gave up after dealing with a sore, swollen, angry ear that I couldn't touch or sleep on for half a year. Then again, some people can heal from anything.

Well I'm thinking about both on one ear, I'd really like to get two, but I could get them at separate times if it would heal better. I don't have a ton of problems with infection, I seem to be and average healer, my conch took about 4ish months to be happy and apparently that's a difficult one.

I'm really just peeking around for advice. I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do with my ears, I'd like them to look interesting but no too mix and match(None of that totally mix and match jewelry, either harmonizing or the same, etc)

PS: You actually pull off the nasal ring really really awesome, I wish I could do that, you have a great nose.
« Last Edit: 05 Jun 2008, 12:47 by Drill King »
King of Kings baby.

photoblog tumblr

ackblom12

« Reply #1077 on: 05 Jun 2008, 16:33 »

I want to get two helixes(upper cartilage) done, I was going to go today but I'm going to think about it for a week. However I need some advice.

I really want it done, and I know that. So that's not the issue, the only problem is that summer is coming up, and summer means swimming as much as I can everywhere I go, regardless of pools or the ocean. I've heard it's a really bad call to go swimming within the first 6ish months of a cartilage piercing because they tend to be stubborn healers. Also, second of all I'd be getting both at once, would that hinder healing time at all?

Your ear will love you if you wait till after your swimming period is over for the year. Cartilage is a serious bitch to heal as it is and infections in your cartilage can be a very very very bad thing.

^This
« Last Edit: 06 Jun 2008, 21:11 by ackblom12 »

Jimmy the Squid

• Feminist Killjoy
« Reply #1078 on: 06 Jun 2008, 19:56 »

I generally get my piercings and tattoos in winter because, even though I don't swim, I find they heal better and are easier to keep clean in colder weather. That said, if you do get them done you'd be better off giving the swimming a miss.

ThePQ4

« Reply #1079 on: 07 Jun 2008, 07:56 »

I was on InkedNation this morning, and stumbled across this article by a fourmite there. I thought it might be helpful to previous discussion we were having about pricing.  --Most of the artists on IN said it was a pretty good peice.

Tattoo Pricing Guide

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #1080 on: 08 Jun 2008, 16:37 »

I uploaded a picture on bme!

I realize that it doesn't really mean anything, but I'm excited. Has anyone else ever uploaded anything on there?

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1081 on: 08 Jun 2008, 16:40 »

Yep, me and my nose are there

jodizzle

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #1082 on: 08 Jun 2008, 17:12 »

Manda I am glad you are getting your nose pierced again!  It was pretty super on you.
But then again, I used to dress like the bastard child of a drug-addled punk and a shrubbery.

ackblom12

« Reply #1083 on: 08 Jun 2008, 22:10 »

Several actually. Of course I'm also on IAM, so I tend to use it any time i get new work done so I can get some free time.

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1084 on: 09 Jun 2008, 19:38 »

My first monster tat is up there, as well.

I recently got invited to show off my ink by a FM Crusader (a motorcycle club!) at a run-up to the FM area's annual 61 for 61. That's  a 61 hour broadcasting marathon by a local radio station, as well as a walk-a-thon, as well as a fun-fun, as well as a bunch of other stuff. It benefits the Roger Maris Cancer Center, which is why the number 61 is important, as Roger Maris-who's from Fargo- hit 61 home runs, breaking Babe Ruth's record though it wasn't officially recognized for years. Anyway, I think it's open for everyone, but it was still kind of nice to be asked.

I can expand the definition of that if anyone wants to roll around to my Fortress of Love.

I is Grammar

• Furry furrier
  • Advocatus diaboli
« Reply #1085 on: 11 Jun 2008, 12:26 »

I decided to buckle down and get my labret pierced. 

I've got a small sticky-out scar like a third nipple just under my right manboob from where I was bitten by another kid in Year 3.

Ballard

• Older than Moses
  • This is my happening and it freaks me out!
« Reply #1086 on: 11 Jun 2008, 12:38 »

Guys, I have one captive bead in my left lobe that I'm extremely happy with, and a low as hell pain tolerance (you can also read this as: I am a huge wimp who had to look away and close his eyes when he got this done) but I've come to the conclusion that I want more.

Can you guys tell me what, if anything, would look great on me that isn't in the "severely painful" category? I'd love an eyebrow piercing but have been told by many that my eyebrows are too bushy.

Here is the most recent photo of me taken. You can't see my lobe piercing (it's fairly ordinary anyway) but you can see my face well.

I'm like the boy who cried "you guys are faggots"

ThePQ4

« Reply #1087 on: 11 Jun 2008, 12:54 »

Hmmm...I think you'd look good with a labret, or a stud in your nose. I agree about the bushy eyebrow thing.The eyebrow would look good too, but you'd have to trim those beasts down a bit.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #1088 on: 11 Jun 2008, 12:59 »

I say no to a nose ring. I'd suggest getting your other ear pierced and maybe your lip as well. But yeah, you're eyebrows are a little think for a piercing there.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

ThePQ4

« Reply #1089 on: 11 Jun 2008, 13:02 »

If you do the nose, do a stud, not a ring.
Rings/hoops only look good on a small number of people.

0bsessions

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Change Is Taking the Seventh Dick
    • Quiki
« Reply #1090 on: 11 Jun 2008, 13:04 »

I say no to the stud. I think nose studs look ridiculous on guys.

I had a nose ring for a year or two. It looked pretty decent, I think. I'll see if I've got a picture somewhere on my home PC.
I've decided to give up psychology and become a peacock
Quote from: Tommydski in Gabbly
JON MADE ME GAY

redglasscurls

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1091 on: 11 Jun 2008, 13:44 »

Nose studs on dudes look pretty fae, and not in a 'nice well dressed' way. In a 'meet me in a sleazy bar and call me your bitch' way.

More complicated ear piercings, like an industrial, or a labret would look fine on you though.

BrittanyMarie

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #1092 on: 11 Jun 2008, 14:36 »

Scaffolding or a conch would be nice, I think! If you really want to go for a facial piercing, I think you'd look best with a lip ring on either side. (this is an edit here: also because your features are strong [that's a compliment!], a larger gauge will also look the best, personally, since it will be more balanced)

And I is Grammar, your labret looks really nice!
« Last Edit: 11 Jun 2008, 14:50 by BrittanyMarie »

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #1093 on: 11 Jun 2008, 16:02 »

I say no to the stud. I think nose studs look ridiculous on guys.

This.

Other than that I can offer you no real advice. I fail at telling people what they should get pierced.

But I can offer this advice. My least painful piercing was my tongue. My septum didn't hurt much, nor did my vertical labret. However, the labret was the most painful out of all of them. I couldn't eve begin to tell you about whether or not my ears hurt because that was forever ago.

Why don't you get the other ear pierced, and try stretching them? Thats what I am doing until I can decide on a new piercing, or where to get my tattoo.

That being said, I am thinking of getting my bridge pierced. Or getting a neck tattoo when I am in SC next week.

jodizzle

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #1094 on: 11 Jun 2008, 16:10 »

I am thinking of piercing my face if I find an employer who wouldn't hate me for it.  The only facial piercing I have ever seen and ever really wanted is this:

But just the top piercing probably.  This is my face:

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: 11 Jun 2008, 16:12 by ebony_willow »

ackblom12

« Reply #1095 on: 11 Jun 2008, 16:43 »

Can you guys tell me what, if anything, would look great on me that isn't in the "severely painful" category? I'd love an eyebrow piercing but have been told by many that my eyebrows are too bushy.

I'd agree with everyone else on a lip piercing, but I'd honestly opt for a Vertical Labret. It looks like you have the perfect lip for it. It also removes all possibility of any kind of tooth or gum erosion which is a very important thing to consider.

NarwhalSunshine

« Reply #1096 on: 11 Jun 2008, 20:22 »

Why don't you get the other ear pierced, and try stretching them?
this, because I hate asymmetrical and small gauge piercings.

sean

• welp
« Reply #1097 on: 11 Jun 2008, 21:05 »

Jodie that piercing is pretty cool I think you should get it!

Eugene I basically agree with Emailine. Stetch those ears and give facial piercings some more thought.
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

Emaline

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Drink, Drank, DRUNK
« Reply #1098 on: 16 Jun 2008, 07:05 »

I got a tattoo! Its soo awesome! Its an octopus, of course. I'm in love with it. I'll post picture of it when I get back from vacation.

Gemmwah

• Bling blang blong blung
  • fffffffffffffffffff
« Reply #1099 on: 16 Jun 2008, 07:40 »

Jodie, you get the top one and I'll get the lower one! I'm dying for an anti-eyebrow.
oh good god 4lko jaeger bomb. Holy goood god what have I done.
 :psyduck: psyduck is the most appropriate right now. FUUUUKC
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 97   Go Up