THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 09:39
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Most bizarre opener ever.  (Read 7941 times)

alexcharlie

Most bizarre opener ever.
« on: 13 Oct 2005, 21:02 »

I went to the DFA1979 show last night in Pomona, CA at a venue called the Glasshouse.  I was pretty late to the show, expecting that most of the openers would suck.  I still managed to get there too early and I had to watch the very last opener.  Now usually, this isn't such a bad thing.  Usually the last opener for a band as big as DFA would be hand chosen.  I'm not necessarily sure if that's what happened for me last night, but imagine this.

five 14 year old boys.  rocking.  hard.  They sounded a lot like the red light sting, and they even played a le shok cover.  The frontman was 14 years old TOPS, and he was the most indie kid at the entire show.  I was dumbfounded.  They were called the "Mean Reds."  Can anyone tell me anything about them, or share your stories of bizarre openers.

Not An Addict

« Reply #1 on: 13 Oct 2005, 21:09 »

http://www.themeanreds.net

They look a bit older than 14. Never heard of them.

DustyLens

Re: Most bizarre opener ever.
« Reply #2 on: 13 Oct 2005, 22:09 »

Their... utterly bizarre site says that they're breaking up.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #3 on: 13 Oct 2005, 22:26 »

The opener on the previous tour that DFA1979 headlined was, in my town, a band called Throw Rag. They play what is best described as "sailor punk," methodically strip throughout the set, have a washboard player, and feature Lemmy from Motorhead on their latest album.

It was unusual, yeah.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

sjbrot

« Reply #4 on: 13 Oct 2005, 23:45 »

THROW RAG.

After seeing the afore-mentioned washboard player scoop sweat off of himself with a spoon, I really had no choice but to go and raid their merch table.

Merkava

Re: Most bizarre opener ever.
« Reply #5 on: 14 Oct 2005, 14:38 »

Quote from: DustyLens
Their... utterly bizarre site says that they're breaking up.

Bizzare? Looks rather normal to me. Honestly, if it's the anime that you're talking about, I'm shocked. :P

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #6 on: 14 Oct 2005, 14:57 »

Throw Rag are utterly amazing.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

La Creme

« Reply #7 on: 14 Oct 2005, 21:14 »

That 1 Guy basically makes all of you his bitches, then fucks your fannies hard.

http://www.that1guy.com/

His myspace_music is listed under R'n'B, Thrash, Funk, and like, 24 others.

*EDIT* He opened for the Aquabats on tour last year.

Sythe

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • ><DICK>
« Reply #8 on: 14 Oct 2005, 21:48 »

Rupert & Weston. Emo?
Two guys. Two acoustic guitars. A banjo. A four-string ukelaelae. A one-string ukelaelae. A kazoo. Hell, and I only came in on the second half of the set!
"BACKPACK... PINEAPPLE!"

Still don't think they can beat washboard guy or fanniefucker...
Quote from: Edith
Edith.: i like balls, and they are squishy

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #9 on: 15 Oct 2005, 04:49 »

Gas Mask.

Opened for They Might Giants. Consisted of some crazy blokes in gas masks that just stood there and screamed 'GAS MAAAAAAAAAASK' over and over again.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

La Creme

« Reply #10 on: 15 Oct 2005, 18:35 »

Speaking of TMBG openers, Corn Mo was just about the coolest guy ever. One guy with a fuckin' accordian and a drumstick tied to his shoe sometimes. He played "We Are The Champions", and had songs of his own like "The Day Jason Pissed on Jason" and "German Lady Special". He is also a seriously funny guy.

http://www.cornmo.com/assets/video/cornmo_w_tmbg.mov
Corn Mo and John Linnel dueling accordians on Particle Man.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #11 on: 15 Oct 2005, 19:24 »

Quote from: DynamiteKid
Gas Mask.

Opened for They Might Giants. Consisted of some crazy blokes in gas masks that just stood there and screamed 'GAS MAAAAAAAAAASK' over and over again.

NO! Those bastards stole my idea!
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

ImRonBurgundy?

• Bling blang blong blung
  • "That's all," he added.
« Reply #12 on: 16 Oct 2005, 02:13 »

Quote from: La Creme
That 1 Guy basically makes all of you his bitches, then fucks your fannies hard.

http://www.that1guy.com/

His myspace_music is listed under R'n'B, Thrash, Funk, and like, 24 others.

*EDIT* He opened for the Aquabats on tour last year.

YYYYYYESSSSS.

i remember my friend and i walking into the venue as he was playing, and just standing there in awe.  i don't think either of us took our eyes off him for his entire set.
You just came back to shit in my heart, didn't you Ryan?

soap

« Reply #13 on: 16 Oct 2005, 04:08 »

beak ... they were dressed as birds, ran about the audience and sounded like a shitty instrumental version of fugazi

sjbrot

« Reply #14 on: 16 Oct 2005, 19:48 »

Beck had McRorie opening for him, who was a guy in a quilt with two keyboards, a headset, and a bunch of sensors on his feet and chest to control the drums. He played original material, rap songs, and an AC/DC medley.

1patheticloser

« Reply #15 on: 16 Oct 2005, 20:27 »

Dude McRorie is the bees knees IMHO. Check his set list out. He does "Raining Blood" by Slayer. Hawt.

mediocrity_wire

« Reply #16 on: 16 Oct 2005, 20:58 »

Yeah, TinyMixTape said they broke up too.

They put on a pretty good show, lead singer is a good looking one, I saw a picture of them before the show and thought it was a chick.  the kind of chick I'd like to bone.

sjbrot

« Reply #17 on: 17 Oct 2005, 00:35 »

McRorie rocked the house until an unfortunate incident during a self-penned country number when one of his keys got stuck and he had to leave the stage.

Paulbot

« Reply #18 on: 17 Oct 2005, 02:40 »

I listened to some Mean Reds a few months ago. Me and a friend were trying to decide if they were good or not. We never did decide. If they've broken up, guess we never will.
Edit: Oh wow, they're releasing a vinyl. I want.

RUMBLEMOOSE

« Reply #19 on: 17 Oct 2005, 15:17 »

Some band called Dream House opened for Lightning Bolt a couple Halloweens ago in Boston. Actually, it was more like performance art-- it was mostly instrumental quasi-psych rock, but everyone was wearing masks and shining lights and running through the audience, and they herded the whole audience into a tiny little tent and shook the walls of the tent really hard through the whole set.

yipjumpmusic

« Reply #20 on: 18 Oct 2005, 19:55 »

Neil Hamburger.  Not music.  "Comedy" opening for Pinback which involved making bad jokes, clearing his throat, carrying cups of water in arm and spilling them and pissing off the crowd on purpose (ex-throwing cup of water in crowd)

Bunnyman

« Reply #21 on: 19 Oct 2005, 00:48 »

Well, both mine involve the Phenomenauts.

First off, how many Japanese devo-inspired synthmetal bands called "Polysics" can there be?  Because they opened for the Phenomenauts one time.

The other time was when teh Phenomenauts opened for Jason Webley.  SUch an awesome concert.  Even with inordinate amounts of every drug known to man (hooray, Gilman!) and derivative smoke floating through the air.

sjbrot

« Reply #22 on: 19 Oct 2005, 17:45 »

Quote from: yipjumpmusic
Neil Hamburger

You cannot understand his comic genius until you actually see this man.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #23 on: 19 Oct 2005, 17:56 »

Neil Hamburger is amazing. I have a track of something, it's him introducing something or other, and some guy just comes up and yells "METALLICA" really loud into it.

But seriously; If I had a band, Neil Hamburger would open for it, or join it, or kick our asses off the stage.

thegrassisbluer

« Reply #24 on: 30 Jul 2006, 22:56 »

Quote from: Bunnyman
Well, both mine involve the Phenomenauts.

First off, how many Japanese devo-inspired synthmetal bands called "Polysics" can there be?  Because they opened for the Phenomenauts one time.

The other time was when teh Phenomenauts opened for Jason Webley.  SUch an awesome concert.  Even with inordinate amounts of every drug known to man (hooray, Gilman!) and derivative smoke floating through the air.

Wha? Phenomonauts opening for Jason Webley? Why in the hell could I have not seen that?

At least I get to see Jason Webley again on Tuesday. I'm quite happy on that one.

Coonstar

« Reply #25 on: 30 Jul 2006, 23:23 »

Throw Rag is probably the most whack act I had ever seen. Saw them opening for Queens of the Stone Age a year ago. The audience didn't react to them pretty well. They put on a more interesting show than most but I don't remember how they sound like but I do remember that I didn't like it.

penpen17

« Reply #26 on: 31 Jul 2006, 05:33 »

Quote from: yipjumpmusic
Neil Hamburger.  Not music.  "Comedy" opening for Pinback which involved making bad jokes, clearing his throat, carrying cups of water in arm and spilling them and pissing off the crowd on purpose (ex-throwing cup of water in crowd)

When I saw Pinback, a band called Herc opened.  It consisted of an accordion player and a drummer, and they had absolutely ridiculous song names and sang absolute gibberish.  Halfway through their act, they transformed into a terrible nu-metal band called 'The Metal Porpoises' (or something like that) and played a bass with one string and a tiny cymbal, screaming about blood and death and how everybody else sucked.

It was pure comedic genius.

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
« Reply #27 on: 31 Jul 2006, 06:48 »

Quote from: Kai
Quote from: DynamiteKid
Gas Mask.

NO! Those bastards stole my idea!

A fucking brilliant idea.
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

Spinless

« Reply #28 on: 31 Jul 2006, 09:33 »

Things that happened while I read this thread:
Got major deja vu
1patheticloser returned

Then I realised some guy bumped the thread NINE MONTHS after it happened in order to make his dick look big.

BAD BUMP GUYS. BAD BUMP. THINK CANCER.

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
« Reply #29 on: 31 Jul 2006, 09:52 »

I had no idea.
I sould really start looking at post dates.
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

Rubby

• The German Chancellory building
    • http://members.shaw.ca/baby.snakes
« Reply #30 on: 31 Jul 2006, 10:56 »

When I saw Bowie, The Polyphonic Spree opened for him. I guess that’s not too bizarre but it was a weird match up. And come on, Polyphonic Spree live – Wacky!
Pages: [1]   Go Up