THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 Apr 2024, 12:03
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Star Wars, what next?  (Read 8236 times)

LiterSize

• Curry sauce
Star Wars, what next?
« on: 14 Oct 2005, 06:55 »

Ok, George Lucas is planning SOME kind of live action and animated shows based in the Star Wars universe in the coming years, with a reported budget of 1.8 million.

Wow.

I'm a Star Wars geek (I know you're out there!)  so I'm kind of excited over this, even with the lukewarm feelings I had about the prequels.  I remember a show called Space: Above an Beyond and it was an awesome show.  It was gritty, real, dark, and had some awesome action.  I hear this is what the live action show is supposed to be in the vein of, taking place in the darker parts of the Clone Wars.  I think it'll be pretty interesting to watch and will be giving it a go.  Can't be any worse than Pensacola:  Wings Of Gold.

1patheticloser

Star Wars, what next?
« Reply #1 on: 14 Oct 2005, 07:28 »

Now I am a pretty big Star Wars fan. I went to the SW panels at DragonCon and laughed at all the in jokes. I watched and chatted with people who make fan films.

But as of right now, unless Mr. Lucas can do something even close to on par with Firefly, he's shit outta luck.

(Whedon writing a Star Wars show would collapse the universe under the weight of its awesomeness)

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
Star Wars, what next?
« Reply #2 on: 15 Oct 2005, 13:20 »

I have heard that they are also making the Clone Wars cartoon series and making it longer and in 3D

soap

Re: Star Wars, what next?
« Reply #3 on: 15 Oct 2005, 14:55 »

Quote from: LiterSize
I remember a show called Space: Above an Beyond and it was an awesome show.

you must be the only person i've ever seen who remembers this (and isn't me) ... it would be good to see a nice dark star wars show

as long as it doesn't turn into a jumped up fireworks display of a toy advert im fine

TheLoweringTide

Star Wars, what next?
« Reply #4 on: 16 Oct 2005, 01:51 »

The saddest thing about Star Wars is that since about 1985, George Lucas has not been the person creating the best material within his own universe.  He came up with a good premise (note: not excellent) and shot it in such a way that it was really pretty.  See, that's the thing - he's a great director; that doesn't make him a great writer.  I mean, the Star Wars prequels are nothing if not pretty.

Somehow, in the years following Return of the Jedi, a bunch of other people who actually know how to write took his vision as a springboard and made a bunch of really excellent material.  They fleshed out his universe with a deep, rich history and fascinating characters.  They showed everyone that great things could happen in the Star Wars universe, and they made George's movies look better simply by association.  But then he went and made more movies, and everyone watched them, and they were like, "Uh...dude, you suck at making stories...ooh, lightsabers, neat."  To which George replied, "Durrrr, I make Star Wars, I'm specialer than you.  I planned Jar Jar Binks in 1972, I swear."

So the moral of the story is that the less George Lucas has to do with Star Wars, the better.  That's why something like a TV show could actually work...because there's no way that George could take anything resembling total control over an operation as big as a TV series.  At the very least, he'd have to have a team of writers, and the law of averages states that most of them would be better storytellers than Mr. Lucas.

Hopefully someday he'll relinquish his magalomaniacal grip on the license and hand it over to people who can actually do something worthwhile with it.

Gryff

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Summary sense... tingling!
Star Wars, what next?
« Reply #5 on: 17 Oct 2005, 17:10 »

Quote from: TheLoweringTide
the less George Lucas has to do with Star Wars, the better

Quoted for truth.

Daniel

Star Wars, what next?
« Reply #6 on: 22 Oct 2005, 22:56 »

Quote from: Blue Kitty
I have heard that they are also making the Clone Wars cartoon series and making it longer and in 3D

I'd love to see more Clone Wars - it's the coolest Star Wars has ever been (in fact, it's the only Star Wars I've ever really enjoyed).

I don't know about this "3D" bidness, tho - the animation was one of the best parts of Clone Wars, if they made more, I'd rather they kept to that style.

Bunnyman

Star Wars, what next?
« Reply #7 on: 23 Oct 2005, 00:12 »

The prequels are pretty...they just don't feel like the old universe.

And they steal prodigiously from better media (Dinotopia, anyone?)

GebStar

• Furry furrier
Star Wars, what next?
« Reply #8 on: 23 Oct 2005, 04:27 »

I'd like to see something post Return of The Jedi, you know, shit with Grand Admiral Thrawl, Luke and the new academy, Mara Jade, Anakin and the Solo twins, the star crusher and maybe just maybe, Kyle Katarn.

I'd also like to see some pre Phantom Menace stuff, maybe something about the mandalorian wars, maybe the sith wars, early Jedi shit. That would be fkn awesome.
Quote from: Trollstormur
that slogan is a good slogan. so good, in fact, I think it should be applied to other things. like, "there's no wrong way to hit your spouse." or "there's no wrong way to commit nonconsentual sodomy."

Bunnyman

Star Wars, what next?
« Reply #9 on: 23 Oct 2005, 17:24 »

A crime movie set in Nar Shadaa, directed by Guy Ritchie or Michael Mann.  The grittiness was always the best part of classic SW.

ImRonBurgundy?

• "That's all," he added.
Star Wars, what next?
« Reply #10 on: 23 Oct 2005, 19:50 »

get Boba Fett in there, as well, and i am sold.
You just came back to shit in my heart, didn't you Ryan?

I Am Not Amused

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
    • http://www.myspace.com/bittercamparimusic
Star Wars, what next?
« Reply #11 on: 21 Nov 2005, 00:54 »

Boba Fett and Tom Cruise force Jamie Foxx to drive them to Crime Lord Bradpitt The Hutt's hideout on Nar Shadaa. Bradpitt The Hutt mysteriously has an Irish accent.
Zac Efron wants a sourcebox lulz.

Tomservo

Star Wars, what next?
« Reply #12 on: 23 Nov 2005, 06:54 »

In case you worried bobba Fett survived being thrown in that mouth thing in Return of The Jedi, I read some Star Wars books a long time ago, and they said Boba Fett was to hardcore to get eaten and he killed the sandpit/mouth monster.

Gryff

• Summary sense... tingling!
Star Wars, what next?
« Reply #13 on: 23 Nov 2005, 14:34 »

*coughcopoutcough*

Sounds like someone needed an excuse to bring back a popular character so that they could sell more books. $$$!

Sideways

Star Wars, what next?
« Reply #14 on: 23 Nov 2005, 14:40 »

Hopefully someday he'll relinquish his magalomaniacal grip on the license and hand it over to people who can actually do something worthwhile with it.

When he's dead, someone will purchase the rights to the intellectual property.

Until then, nothing will happen without passing Lucas' desk first... he has total creative control.  Even if there were a team of writers working on his show, Lucas has last say, and his opinions on story, characterization and dialogue are... questionable.

Note; when I say 'questionable' it's with much politeness and through gritted teeth.

RyRy_The_FrenchFry

Star Wars, what next?
« Reply #15 on: 29 Dec 2005, 23:50 »

I heard the same thing with with 3D Clone Wars TV Show, but I don't know how much I like the idea. Think of it this way:

Episode 3 General Grievous (3D):

- Interesting and Menacing, but relatively slow and sloppily protrayed due to conflicting 3D animations.

Clone Wars General Grievous (Illustrated):

- Interesting and Menacing (lame voice, though) but shown much better as the awe-inspiring, fear-instilling Jedi Hunter. Faster, Meaner, Deadlier...why? No conflicting animation.

^ Its those sort of things I cringe about.

The whole Live-Action Star Wars show seems interesting, but I heard it takes place between episodes 3-4, and I mean...c'mon. To my knowledge not very many interesting things happen, not even in some of the crappy EU Books. Unless they show, Iunno, Boba Fett or something like that I cant see it going far...

Now, I dont know if any of you have heard this...but I heard they were going to make a Yoda Movie.

WTF?!

A Yoda Movie? Truly this cannot be an attempt to milk a franchise by a power-hungry and money-lusting creator, can it? I cannot even imagine it...it would be him training and such...so stupid. It would certainly cheapen the character for me. Half the reasoning behind my liking of Yoda is A: His "Badassosity" and B: His Mysteriousness. I hope this is JUST A RUMOR....

-Arnold Voice-

EETS NAHT AH RUMAAAR!!

GebStar

• Furry furrier
Star Wars, what next?
« Reply #16 on: 30 Dec 2005, 06:46 »

Quote from: Bunnyman
A crime movie set in Nar Shadaa, directed by Guy Ritchie or Michael Mann.  The grittiness was always the best part of classic SW.

That sounds like the greatest thing ever, i will fellate the person that makes this happen.
Quote from: Trollstormur
that slogan is a good slogan. so good, in fact, I think it should be applied to other things. like, "there's no wrong way to hit your spouse." or "there's no wrong way to commit nonconsentual sodomy."

Sideways

Star Wars, what next?
« Reply #17 on: 30 Dec 2005, 06:47 »

I heard a rumor that in 20 years, when Lucas is dead, someone is going to redo all the star wars films, and they will ALL be good.  Decent actors will be hired, thus immediately separating the remakes from the originals (at least, the prequels).  Insane special effects will be so commonplace that the focus will actually be on story and plot rather than CG animation.  Jar Jar binks will be removed from the story completely.

Perhaps it's just a rumor.

(or a dream...)

RyRy_The_FrenchFry

Star Wars, what next?
« Reply #18 on: 30 Dec 2005, 10:22 »

In a way, I believe that is neither a rumour nor a dream...

It is a blessing.

A prophecy.

The Chosen One, this new director will be.

Grumpus

Star Wars, what next?
« Reply #19 on: 30 Dec 2005, 18:19 »

Ummm. If george lucas has shown us anything it's that remaking is not the way to go.

See, that's the thing - he's a great director; that doesn't make him a great writer.

And Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi where not directed by Mr. Beardy.

A live action TV show would be good if George Lucas hired a writer.

crazybritishsteve

Star Wars, what next?
« Reply #20 on: 04 Jan 2006, 06:16 »

This is about as official as it gets at the mo. George Lucas is still kicking around the idea of making the last three films i.e. episodes 7-9. No real decision on that as yet. There does appear to be a clone wars type animated series in the pipeline. May even appear late this year, but unlikely.  There is no way IN HELL Mr Lucas is going to allow anyone to make films or series without his direct involvement.
Keep an eye out for sci-fi mags with interviews from people like Warwick Davies and David Prowse.

ASturge

Star Wars, what next?
« Reply #21 on: 04 Jan 2006, 07:30 »

Quote from: Tomservo
In case you worried bobba Fett survived being thrown in that mouth thing in Return of The Jedi, I read some Star Wars books a long time ago, and they said Boba Fett was to hardcore to get eaten and he killed the sandpit/mouth monster.

He was rescued by another bounty hunter ACTUALLY.

Er, name MIGHT have been Dengar....cant really remember though.

RyRy_The_FrenchFry

Star Wars, what next?
« Reply #22 on: 04 Jan 2006, 09:44 »

Quote from: ASturge
Quote from: Tomservo

He was rescued by another bounty hunter ACTUALLY.

Er, name MIGHT have been Dengar....cant really remember though.

Yes, most likely Dengar, ebcause there is an actual Bounty Hunter named Dengar in the Star Wars universe. He's on the ship when Darth Vader informs the Hunters on capturing Solo...he's a fat guy with a turban on his head, brown-black armor and a longbarrel rifle.

thesonglessbird

Star Wars, what next?
« Reply #23 on: 06 Jan 2006, 07:50 »

I'd like to see something based around Han Solo.

But I suppose theres always FireFly...
Pages: [1]   Go Up