THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 12:48
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OH NOES!  (Read 4548 times)

1patheticloser

OH NOES!
« on: 14 Oct 2005, 22:42 »

Well, unlike Spinless, I recieved no warning about the impending doom of my computer. I am now coming to you from the dreaded "OPPc". I came home to find my computer off and making a repetative beeping from the onboard speaker. So I turned it off. Then back on. It went straight to the beeping. I then tried turning it off to no avail. So I unplugged the cord, and the beeps stopped. I tried again, and this time it sounded like it was about to boot, and then it died. I hit the power button. Silence. It did nothing. Shit.

So I'm currently thinking it's either the power supply or the motherboard itself. I'm going to fiddle with it tomorrow in hopes of finding a cheaper sollution than starting to hit newegg.com for good prices on motherboards.

So can anyone offer any advice here? To go tech speak for a sec, it was failing to post much less boot, no display, nothing. Just the beeps, which I looked up on the MSI website, to little avail, as the beeping has since stopped. I tried reseating the memory, unplugging unneccesary peripherals. Nothin.

Oh, god of the internet...please let it simply be a power supply failure and not a burnt out MB....

Inanimate Object

• Balloon animal serial killer
    • http://www.psptown.com
OH NOES!
« Reply #1 on: 15 Oct 2005, 07:37 »

It could be a case intrusion warning. If part of your metal case is touching your motherboard, bad things happen...

Se7en

OH NOES!
« Reply #2 on: 15 Oct 2005, 08:46 »

Right, if its a newish MSI board, you will have a cardslot bracket on the back, with 4 green LEDs on it. This is your diagnostics system. On an older one, it may be a red figure of 8 led display on the board itself, probably by the CMOS battery.

It may be a dead fan, or it may be unseated memory.. theres a lot it could be, and i dont have the beep codes memorised anymore.

Crack open the side, check the memory is seated, check the coolers are all in place, check everythings still plugged in, and is nice and cold, then fire it up, and check all the fans spin.

Get your motherboard manual. You can download em from MSI once you have idenitfied the board.

1patheticloser

OH NOES!
« Reply #3 on: 15 Oct 2005, 08:50 »

Well, the beeps were short and continuous. But that's kind of useless now, as I replaced the power supply and it started up without a problem. Thanks for the advise though, guys.
Pages: [1]   Go Up