THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 13:50
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone heard of Refused?  (Read 15097 times)

AdamIsConceited

Anyone heard of Refused?
« on: 20 Oct 2005, 05:38 »

www.purevolume.com/refused

I've been a fan for the last year or so... probably one of my top 10 favorite bands.  They've got this amazing punk/hardcore style straight out of Sweden that is really amazing and I can't seem to stop playing their tunes.  The only negative this is that they broke up back in late 1990's... if you read their bio you'll understand.

So take a listen and tell me what you think!

kikanjuuneko

Anyone heard of Refused?
« Reply #1 on: 20 Oct 2005, 08:23 »

Known about Refused for years. Love the fucking shit out of them.

AdamIsConceited

Anyone heard of Refused?
« Reply #2 on: 20 Oct 2005, 08:48 »

haha awesome!  Yeah, I really can't ever get tired of these guys.

I even started listening to The (International) Noise Conspiracy too... another decent band if I might add.

negative creep

• Scrabble hacker
Anyone heard of Refused?
« Reply #3 on: 20 Oct 2005, 08:51 »

i'm right now listening to refused...

kikanjuuneko

Anyone heard of Refused?
« Reply #4 on: 20 Oct 2005, 09:28 »

In my opinion, Refused are much like Botch, the bands resulting from their breakup may be good, but they'll never be as good as the original band.

AdamIsConceited

Anyone heard of Refused?
« Reply #5 on: 20 Oct 2005, 09:29 »

Quote from: kikanjuuneko
In my opinion, Refused are much like Botch, the bands resulting from their breakup may be good, but they'll never be as good as the original band.

I sorta agree... I find The INC's new album to be fairly good abit overproduced

SpacemanSpiff

Anyone heard of Refused?
« Reply #6 on: 20 Oct 2005, 09:41 »

I disagree with the Botch / Refused comparison. I think Minus The Bear are just as awesome, even if the music is completely different.

Yes, Refused do indeed rock, though mainly because of The Shape Of Punk To Come.
The International Noise Conspiracy on the other hand suck. There's no other way to put it for me, I expected a lot from them when they started and I really tried liking them but to no avail. They suck. And I don't even take their attitude and political ideals into account there.

sjbrot

Anyone heard of Refused?
« Reply #7 on: 20 Oct 2005, 10:54 »

The (International) Noise Conspiracy cred wise

On the one hand, they were signed to G7 Welcoming Committee.
On the other, they tour with the Bravery.

Also, Refused's "New Noise" is addictive as all hell.

Kid Modernist

Anyone heard of Refused?
« Reply #8 on: 20 Oct 2005, 11:40 »

REFUSED ARE FUCKING DEAD.

AdamIsConceited

Anyone heard of Refused?
« Reply #9 on: 20 Oct 2005, 12:05 »

I just got the "star" shirt in the mail :)

Decima

Anyone heard of Refused?
« Reply #10 on: 20 Oct 2005, 12:38 »

Im really not into punk and punkrock, but still, this is quite enjoyable ^^

Decima

Anyone heard of Refused?
« Reply #11 on: 20 Oct 2005, 12:47 »

VERY enjoyable. Perhaps Ill buy  CD with them... or maybe Ill wish it for cristmas... mmm... cristmas...

AdamIsConceited

Anyone heard of Refused?
« Reply #12 on: 20 Oct 2005, 12:50 »

*Christmas

I suggest starting with the "Songs To Fan The Flames Of Discontent" album.  It's not "The Shape Of Punk To Come" but still a worthy listen.

Decima

Anyone heard of Refused?
« Reply #13 on: 20 Oct 2005, 12:52 »

Why not buy the best one? Oh and thanks, I knew there was something wrong with how I spelled Christmas ^~

AdamIsConceited

Anyone heard of Refused?
« Reply #14 on: 20 Oct 2005, 12:58 »

That's usualy how I listen to bands.  I go through their earliest stuff to get a perspective on how they evolved over albums.

Decima

Anyone heard of Refused?
« Reply #15 on: 20 Oct 2005, 13:01 »

I just got time for good music.

AdamIsConceited

Anyone heard of Refused?
« Reply #16 on: 20 Oct 2005, 13:02 »

But that album is good.  Try listening to Coup D'Etat and This Trust Will Kill Again.

Decima

Anyone heard of Refused?
« Reply #17 on: 20 Oct 2005, 13:13 »

What I mean is, I only got time for the BEST music ^~, plus, I always buy the newest albums. I like that better, getting the latest things, feels more up to date.

AdamIsConceited

Anyone heard of Refused?
« Reply #18 on: 20 Oct 2005, 13:21 »

To each their own

Kid Modernist

Anyone heard of Refused?
« Reply #19 on: 20 Oct 2005, 14:34 »

The songs "Burn It" and "Pump the Brakes" on their Everlasting EP are really good too. I think it's out of print though, but I also think they and every song on an ep are on the EP collection, which name I forget and would have used instead of Everlasting if I could remember it.

RUMBLEMOOSE

Anyone heard of Refused?
« Reply #20 on: 20 Oct 2005, 15:28 »

On the Botch comparison: The (International) Noise Conspiracy is catchy though inferior, but has anyone heard Text? It's Jon Brännström and David Sandström's new(ish) band, it has one album, and it's brain-damagingly good. They do dub, musique concret, a capella hardcore requiems, etc etc.

And The Shape of Punk to Come was like, maybe the best album ever. I wish more punk and hardcore bands would push themselves creatively like that.

Gryff

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Summary sense... tingling!
Anyone heard of Refused?
« Reply #21 on: 20 Oct 2005, 15:33 »

Uh, why would you not want to get their best album first?

The Shape of Punk to Come is pretty much universally accepted as their best, so go for that one. Jeez!

The others might be good too, but you can go back to them later, y'know?

Also, 'New Noise' has a truly kickass video.

Sturge

Anyone heard of Refused?
« Reply #22 on: 21 Oct 2005, 06:17 »

Yeah, Botch are better than everything.

and whenever I hear "Refused" a voice in my head goes "And I scream! WOO!" (best song to dance to in a club ever)

Kid Modernist

Anyone heard of Refused?
« Reply #23 on: 21 Oct 2005, 09:05 »

Not trying to be a OMG YOU GOT IT WRONG YOU ARE NOT A FAN douche here, but the lyric is "Can I scream?"

Impulse

Anyone heard of Refused?
« Reply #24 on: 21 Oct 2005, 09:51 »

I'm surprised people are just now discovering Refused. But then again, I've got a lot to learn myself.

AdamIsConceited

Anyone heard of Refused?
« Reply #25 on: 21 Oct 2005, 09:54 »

Quote from: Kid Modernist
Not trying to be a OMG YOU GOT IT WRONG YOU ARE NOT A FAN douche here, but the lyric is "Can I scream?"

http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric.nsf/New-Noise-lyrics-Refused/5252471A72DE742248256C68002B6FB9

"CAN I SCREAMMMM?!!!
YEAHHHH"

Impulse

Anyone heard of Refused?
« Reply #26 on: 21 Oct 2005, 09:56 »

Quote from: AdamIsConceited

http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric.nsf/New-Noise-lyrics-Refused/5252471A72DE742248256C68002B6FB9

"CAN I SCREAMMMM?!!!
YEAHHHH"

I'm pretty sure those lyrics are incorrect towards the end.

AdamIsConceited

Anyone heard of Refused?
« Reply #27 on: 21 Oct 2005, 10:00 »

My mistake... I think these are more accurate http://www.lyricsondemand.com/r/refusedlyrics/newnoiselyrics.html

Impulse

Anyone heard of Refused?
« Reply #28 on: 21 Oct 2005, 10:06 »

That's more like it. I thought he switched "leading" with "screaming" at one time, but I guess I'm just a fuckstick.

rive gauche

Anyone heard of Refused?
« Reply #29 on: 24 Oct 2005, 08:47 »

what a silly thread.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
Anyone heard of Refused?
« Reply #30 on: 24 Oct 2005, 10:37 »

What a silly post.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Sturge

Anyone heard of Refused?
« Reply #31 on: 25 Oct 2005, 06:57 »

meh, close enough! Im usually plastered at this point so I never take much notice.

And when I listen to them at home I always skip that tune because I hear it so much, the novelty is only there when dancing like a twat.

AdamIsConceited

Anyone heard of Refused?
« Reply #32 on: 26 Oct 2005, 05:07 »

Quote from: rive gauche
what a silly thread.

Take that back.

ForteBass

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
Anyone heard of Refused?
« Reply #33 on: 26 Oct 2005, 09:55 »

I am familiar with the refused. Not really my thing. I only ever got into New Noise, and even that wore thin after a day. Everything else just seemed so drawn out and forced. But that is just me.
Quote from: Eris
Man, Friday night and I'm drawing tacos to post on the internet. I need another drink.

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
Anyone heard of Refused?
« Reply #34 on: 26 Oct 2005, 10:00 »

If I've heard them I'll warent a guess and say it was on one of the various Tony Hawk video game soundtracks.  If I have they didn't leave much of an impression with me.

AdamIsConceited

Anyone heard of Refused?
« Reply #35 on: 26 Oct 2005, 10:11 »

Quote from: happybirthdaygelatin
If I've heard them I'll warent a guess and say it was on one of the various Tony Hawk video game soundtracks.  If I have they didn't leave much of an impression with me.

To my knowledge they never appeared on any soundtrack or American compilation cd.  I highly suggest you read into them further instead of making a poor initial assumption.

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
Anyone heard of Refused?
« Reply #36 on: 26 Oct 2005, 11:01 »

I'll give them a listen when I'm lunch.  Also, there is no need to really quote the post you're responding to when it's right above your post.  Also I'm assuming I've heard them before and most likely through a comp.  Yep.  They've been on several Punk O'Rama cds and I remember having this one at some point.

Kid Modernist

Anyone heard of Refused?
« Reply #37 on: 26 Oct 2005, 12:32 »

Quote from: AdamIsConceited

To my knowledge they never appeared on any soundtrack or American compilation cd.  I highly suggest you read into them further instead of making a poor initial assumption.

They are on Tony Hawk's Underground (New Noise). I was really surprised when it started playing.

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
Anyone heard of Refused?
« Reply #38 on: 26 Oct 2005, 12:40 »

I thought so!  I only did a half-assed job looking up the soundtracks but of the one's I found for some reason they didn't have the listing for the first Tony Hawk Underground up.

ALoveSupreme

• Beyoncé
    • http://www.facebook.com/heyheyrabbit
Anyone heard of Refused?
« Reply #39 on: 28 Oct 2005, 07:30 »

Quote from: Impulse
I'm surprised people are just now discovering Refused. But then again, I've got a lot to learn myself.

I also don't like when people call them "The" Refused.  Minor pet peeve, I guess I dont lose sleep over it... still.

And, I dont think Refused have a purevolume, that link didn't work, and they broke up well before purevolume was around.

A+ band.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
Anyone heard of Refused?
« Reply #40 on: 28 Oct 2005, 09:08 »

Quote from: Purevolume
Hardcore / Punk

» Umeå, Sweden

» Dennis- All Things Vocal Kristofer- Guitar, Bass, Drums Jon- Guitars, Samplers David- Drums, Guitar,

» Downloadable Songs (2)

About Refused
The Swedish hardcore band Refused was formed in 1991 by vocalist Denni Lyxzén, guitarists Jon Brännström and Kristofer Steen, bassist Magnus Höggren and drummer David Sandström. Debuting in 1993 with the EP This Is the New Deal, the group issued the full-length This Just Might Be...the Truth later that same year. The Everlasting EP followed in 1994, and in 1995 Refused returned with another EP, Refused Loves Randy. After 1996's Fan the Flames of Discontent, they issued the EP Rather Be Dead; in the wake of completing 1998's The Shape of Punk to Come, Refused disbanded, unable to reconcile their anarchist leanings with a career in music.

New Noise video

The webstore
www.refused.com

The link not working was just you.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

ALoveSupreme

• Beyoncé
Anyone heard of Refused?
« Reply #41 on: 29 Oct 2005, 15:47 »

yeah, I just tried it again and it did work that time.  Maybe PV was just being lame that day.

a pack of wolves

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
Anyone heard of Refused?
« Reply #42 on: 29 Oct 2005, 18:06 »

Ah, Refused. The soundtrack to walking to school when I was seventeen, and many a drunken night touching base to New Noise at Juvi Hall. It still ranks as one of my favourite hardcore albums, I even love the pomposity of it all.

If people are loving Refused's ' The Shape of Punk To Come' then I highly recommend Canvas' 2000 opus 'Lost In Rock'. It's playing with a lot of the same ideas, and although it's a bit lacking in focus in parts it still packs a lot of punch and they were one of the few bands to try and explore the same kinds of areas Refused did so well.
Quote from: De_El
Next time, on QC Forums: someone embarrassingly reveals that they are a homophobe! Stay tuned to find out who!

AdamIsConceited

Anyone heard of Refused?
« Reply #43 on: 30 Oct 2005, 11:50 »

Thanks for the recommendation.

kikanjuuneko

Anyone heard of Refused?
« Reply #44 on: 30 Oct 2005, 12:11 »

Also, if you're into that, The Rise had a short, but moderately successful career (for a hardcore band, anyway) drawing upon a lot of ideas from Refused: http://www.riserock.com/

ALoveSupreme

• Beyoncé
Anyone heard of Refused?
« Reply #45 on: 30 Oct 2005, 20:18 »

Also, if you're into that, The Rise had a short, but moderately successful career (for a hardcore band, anyway) drawing upon a lot of ideas from Refused: http://www.riserock.com/

The music was pretty good, the video seemed sort of silly and almost a charicature of what Refused influenced them to be, if that is worded coherently.
Pages: [1]   Go Up