THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 00:22
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A Very Long Engagement  (Read 5207 times)

AdamIsConceited

A Very Long Engagement
« on: 20 Oct 2005, 05:53 »

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0344510/

Probably one of my favorite French films to date.  I think this is probably Audrey Tautou's best film in my own opinion.  Yes, I know that's a bold statement but I love this film.  It's available at Blockbuster so I suggest a quick rental... you'll see what I mean.

1patheticloser

A Very Long Engagement
« Reply #1 on: 20 Oct 2005, 06:14 »

Jean-Pierre Jeunet is by far one of my favorite directors. La Cite des Enfants Perdus is still my all time favorite foriegn film. In fact, everything I've seen by this guy is just amazing. I'm hoping you've seen his other films, Delicatessen and Amelie (which I'm pretty sure you've seen, considering the Tautou name drop).

Although the real stand out for me in Jeunet's films is Dominique Pinon, who was the father in Very Long Engagement, the clones in La Cite, etc etc.

AdamIsConceited

A Very Long Engagement
« Reply #2 on: 20 Oct 2005, 06:31 »

I've seen every Audrey Tautou movie to my knowledge... but I will certainly check out the director's other movies and Mr. Pinon's other roles.

decklin

A Very Long Engagement
« Reply #3 on: 20 Oct 2005, 07:43 »

I'm particularly hyped about this one.

AdamIsConceited

A Very Long Engagement
« Reply #4 on: 20 Oct 2005, 08:52 »

I've already watched... while not overly appealing to a wider audience I still found it an interesting watch and found the singing and plot to be overall well done.

I think it would appeal to a thespian audience more than anything haha.

Bunnyman

A Very Long Engagement
« Reply #5 on: 20 Oct 2005, 22:31 »

VLE is in the queue.

You simply have to see Delicatessen.  Black humor at its finest (though not its logical extreme...that would be Man Bites Dog).

And it's another Pinon role (aren't all Junet's movies?) so...win.

visceralviscous

• Emoticontraindication
    • lastfm!
A Very Long Engagement
« Reply #6 on: 26 Oct 2005, 19:30 »

Quote from: 1patheticloser
La Cite des Enfants Perdus is still my all time favorite foreign film

wow, i really should have looked up his work a while ago. i fell in love with amelie nearly the second it came out, and still didn't know that he created the city of lost children as well, possibly because i saw it at a friends' ages and ages (back when i was in high school; feels like another person's life altogether these days) ago.

i'm going to have to watch that film again; possibly buy it if i can stand to go to best buy or maybe that used record store across the street from it. it's the sort of film that i would consider buying, just because i liked it so much..

now that i think about it, weren't the brother-clone characters in that the same actor who played joseph in amelie? that's great.

Tangent: although i do seem to have a surprisingly clear photographic memory for films that i was impressed by (just play any sound bite of music from the red violin, for instance, and i could automatically tell what scene and what was happening in the scene and so on)

karina

• Not quite a lurker
    • Myspace
A Very Long Engagement
« Reply #7 on: 26 Oct 2005, 20:34 »

I thought it was good, one of the better ones I've seen. My mom watched the whole thing and that's saying alot.

My french teacher hated it, but she's a nutcase, and i'm not even joking.

ObsoleteDonkey

A Very Long Engagement
« Reply #8 on: 26 Oct 2005, 21:25 »

I read about it in my American Cinematographer magazine. I would like to watch it, but wasn't aware that it had had a state-side release.
Pages: [1]   Go Up