THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Mar 2024, 01:42
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: I just watched (x television show here)  (Read 50751 times)

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
Re: I just watched (x television show here)
« Reply #50 on: 18 Sep 2021, 01:28 »

WandaVision had many fine elements, but in the end, they didn't quite add up for me, personally.

WandaVision is up for 23 Emmys, but did this Marvel series deliver on its promise to reinvent the MCU?
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #51 on: 18 Sep 2021, 07:51 »

It started out well, but by the end it was another CGI fight. Though a lot of it had to do with the pandemic.

Every time I watch What We Do in the Shadows on Hulu it'll play Baskets and I think it's what I'm gonna watch next. Though I've also started YuYu Hakusho

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #52 on: 15 Oct 2021, 07:06 »

I've been watching ONey Plays on youtube and one of the regular guests is Zach Handel (AKA PsychicPebbles). He is incredibly funny and does amazing voice work and impressions on the show. I found out yesterday that Adult Swim gave him a show called "Smiling Friends" and they aired the pilot for it back on April Fools Day and he is suppose to get a full season.  It looks like his personal art style too so I am wondering if he animated it. I watched the pilot and if you are familiar with his humor, it really does seem like something he wrote on the fly. The show is about two guys that work for a company that goes to sad people with the goal of making them smile. In the episode they are sent by their creepy boss to help a guy that is depressed. Their client is at the end of his rope (he literally has a gun to his own head the entire episode) when the duo show up and I was delighted that the person they were helping was voiced by Mike Stoklasa (of RedLetterMedia) whose voice perfectly matched the character. There is also a B plot where a friend of theirs has noticed someone is stealing his cheese and tracks down a bunch of weird pests which ends up being the resolution to the A plot. It is beyond weird, it is morbid, and I found it funny. If your a familiar with or a fan of Zach's humor then I think you may find it enjoyable, but otherwise it may not be your cup of tea.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #53 on: 22 Nov 2021, 06:50 »

So, we've been watching this kids show from Australia thats on Disney + called "Bluey." Its honestly the best kids show I've seen in awhile, especially as a parent. Its about a family of blue heeler dogs. Bandit the dad, Chili the mom, Bingo the little sister and Bluey the daughter. Its surprisingly good and has involved, relatable, and fun parent characters as well. Its given myself so many cool ideas as a dad when playing with the kids and new children songs I never knew but my kids enjoy. Season 3 came out but isn't available on D+ yet and wont be until next year so we are not getting our fix. My wife found out a couple of spoilers involved with season 3 and its kind of interesting that the parent community seems to be so head over heelers for the show. Seasons 1 and 2 are amazing though. There are also a couple of episodes D+ banned but we were able to watch them on Amazon Prime (one where the dad pretends to be pregnant with Bingo and has a water birth thanks to the neighbor, and another where they talk about the dad's teasing). I've also heard some non parents really dig the show too.

You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #54 on: 22 Nov 2021, 18:18 »

My wife and I have fallen in love with Bluey and have watched every episode. Our daughter isn't old enough to enjoy it, but she does love the music. My wife broke into tears from the Baby Race episode, and I keep telling my wife she needs to get me this shirt

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #55 on: 23 Nov 2021, 06:13 »

Haha, yeah. "Baby Races" was a great episode and made my wife cry too. It really has that "one, two, punch" with Coco's mom and then the ending in the kitchen. "Take Away" is very relatable when managing two board kids in public. Also "Sleepy Time" with Bandit. Thats pretty much a nightly occurrence for me.

I also like that, as an adult watching, you can tell the adults drink alcohol without them expressly saying so. Like the wives (and probably guys) during "Stump Fest." It doesn't shy away from the realistic while also playing up the fantasy of the dog-world. If you haven't yet, check out the Bluey Youtube channel. They have some shorts that are not on D+. I like the one with Stripes and his kids.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #56 on: 25 Nov 2021, 09:59 »

Wow, it's crazy to see Socks up and walking and talking

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #57 on: 26 Nov 2021, 00:57 »

This week I found out there's a Robin Hood anime from the 90's. It's one of those cases of 'please just look for the sub' because the English dub is BAD. The whole thing is on YT though, if you're interested.

a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.
« Reply #58 on: 28 Nov 2021, 17:35 »

She-Ra and the Princesses of Power

Super-feminist, super-queer, super-inclusive, tightly written, glorious, heart-wrenching, hilarious in equal measure. We watched the whole five seasons quite recently all the way through, and it is just a truly magnifient show. Watch the shit out of it, friends. If nothing else, the animation is glorious.

Yes to all of this, and with an incredible and satisfying soundtrack, just in case it wasn't enough.

(click to show/hide)
Beware the Gnabberwock, my son!

Gyrre

« Reply #59 on: 30 Nov 2021, 22:06 »

She-Ra and the Princesses of Power

Super-feminist, super-queer, super-inclusive, tightly written, glorious, heart-wrenching, hilarious in equal measure. We watched the whole five seasons quite recently all the way through, and it is just a truly magnifient show. Watch the shit out of it, friends. If nothing else, the animation is glorious.

Yes to all of this, and with an incredible and satisfying soundtrack, just in case it wasn't enough.

(click to show/hide)

Re the spoiler: There's fanfics for that.
(click to show/hide)
a real-ass gaddam sword

Gnabberwocky

• Lord of Whales
  • Global Mod
  • Beyond Thunderdome
  • I WILL be your friend.
« Reply #60 on: 01 Dec 2021, 22:10 »

She-Ra seems like one of those shows where some of the fan content would be legendary masterpieces and some would be flaming trash, with absolutely no middle ground.
Beware the Gnabberwock, my son!

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #61 on: 29 Apr 2022, 08:21 »

There's been a lot of different Scooby Do shows, but the one that really sticks out in recent memory for me is the semi-serialized Scooby Do Mystery Inc which was kind of a darker version of Scooby Do. Yeah, there were monsters of the week but there was also an over-arching story/mystery taking place throughout the entire show. I watched a bit of it and its pretty good. I just found out today that someone released a pilot of a live action web series version of Mystery Inc. Its a bit edgier and more for adults.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #62 on: 29 Apr 2022, 20:27 »

So not only did Netflix come out with Transformers: War for Cybertron show in the past couple of years (I played the game like 10 years ago) but they had one called Kingdoms where they bring back the Transformers from Beast Wars! How am I just now finding this out?!

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #63 on: 01 May 2022, 17:57 »

And better still, they made some new toys!!

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #64 on: 03 May 2022, 08:12 »

WHAT
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

dutchrvl

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #65 on: 03 May 2022, 13:08 »

we watched the first episode of cowboy bebop (w/ John Cho) on Netflix last night. We enjoyed it quite a bit and it looks like it could be great, but now I saw that Netflix actually cancelled the show and the reviews are not that good (metacritic, etc.).

Has anyone seen the whole series here, and is it worth continuing or should I just cut my losses and not waste time watching the rest?

If the series overall is pretty decent and there is more or less some kind of resolution, I'd be down to watching. If the show ends with all threads still left open, I think I'd just be frustrated after watching the whole thing and knowing there would be no continuation.

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #66 on: 03 May 2022, 17:59 »

It was a lot of fun, very stylish, the characters were good, and kept the flavor of the original anime.

This is definitely a case where the "fans" of the original anime ended up whining the show to cancellation instead of there actually being any problems with it.
Twitch I play games and hang out with friends.

dutchrvl

« Reply #67 on: 04 May 2022, 08:58 »

Thanks, so it sounds like it's worth watching it anyway.

Was it really fans whining so much? Or was it also a case of the show simply not being watched enough while being quite expensive to make?

The show's production values look like it could be relatively expensive for them to make, so if the views were low I can understand the cancellation.
Pity though

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #68 on: 04 May 2022, 09:29 »

My first impression from teasers and such was that someone just gave cosplayers a big budget, and found it sorta true after watching.  But it was extremely well-cast, there seemed like there was genuine chemistry there, and I thoroughly enjoyed the series.  I was actually hoping for a continuation.

I kinda see it, as well, not the Stones (or The Seatbelts in this case), but a really good tribute band.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #69 on: 04 May 2022, 12:24 »

I finally watched Squid Game.

It's quite good. But I felt like it made its whole point brazenly in episode one and really didn't need to go further.

It was still good, just pretty much entirely gratuitous from that point on

Gyrre

« Reply #70 on: 05 Jun 2022, 07:13 »

WHAT
If I may, some YouTubers to choose from;
peaugh[1] - very technical and detail oriented reviewer, very straight forward. Will correct most mistakes at the end of an episode.
EmGo/Em Gomez - very animated reviewer also gets into the technical stuff. Has funny sketches at the end of each review.
TJOmega - actually tries to get the anatomy terms right on beast modes[2], covers upcoming news, reviews series, and does top 10 lists. He's currently got an episode by episode review of Beast Wars thanks to patreon tier goals.
Jobby the Hong - incredibly animated, does sketches, definitely a matter of personal preference and may offebd some of our usual forumites.

EDIT: All four reviewers do more than just trensformers, and each has something different to offer.
EDIT 2:
[1] I'm not sure how to pronounce it either
[2] Something my pedantic ass very much appreciates as the phrase "backwards knees" (those are ankles[3]) drives me up the wall.
[3] Yes, even on birds. Bird legs are the weirdest of all vertebrates.
« Last Edit: 05 Jun 2022, 07:25 by Gyrre »
a real-ass gaddam sword

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #71 on: 12 Aug 2022, 00:53 »

Watched Station Eleven and it was a profoundly moving experience.

It’s not for everyone but maybe it’s for you? You might be put off by the premise, but don’t let it.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

dutchrvl

« Reply #72 on: 18 Aug 2022, 07:41 »

Watched Station Eleven and it was a profoundly moving experience.

It’s not for everyone but maybe it’s for you? You might be put off by the premise, but don’t let it.

Sounds intriguing, actually.

Speaking of, the series Counterpart is quite fascinating and well-made (starts JK Simmons who plays 2 different versions of himself in a fantastic way).

Without giving too much away, it's about a world where somehow the world was duplicated in 1987 with 1 point where you can transfer from 1 to the other. Initially the worlds were identical and then slowly started diverging due to small differences, and one can imagine that the differences become increasingly big over several decades. I suppose you could think of the butterfly effect.

Anyway, I highly recommend it, and if you watch it, keep in mind that the show was made before the pandemic, and you'll likely enjoy some of the details in the show, and the overall direction a world might go in depending on major global circumstances (I certainly did). 
« Last Edit: 23 Aug 2022, 10:49 by dutchrvl »

dutchrvl

« Reply #73 on: 18 Aug 2022, 07:47 »

Expanse Season 5 is out!  :parrot: I'm still on Ep1.

OddDetailsOnlyCaseNotices:

So Bobby and Alex are both Martians, right? And the books make a point of mentioning Alex' "Mariner Valley Drawl" quite a few times, which is allegedly typical for Hindi-Martians-by-way-of-Texas. And I guess Cas Anwar isn't doing too bad of a job about the whole drawly-thing, but I'm no good judge of US-dialects.

So far, so good. Enter Frankie Adam's glorious Bobby Draper ... and her very noticable Kiwi-accent.

I mean, sure - they come from completely different settler-demographics, buuuuuuuuut Mars ain't exactly suffering an over-abundance of habitable surface-area, right? How long does it take to acquire an accent? Akima said she went from Mandarin to being able to pull off a credible Bogan-accent in ... (However old Akima is minus however old she was when her family moved to Oz, which I'm guessing is about 30-ish minus about 10-ish, so ... ) ... twenty years, give or take?

TL;DR - Given that space is precisely what Mars doesn't have too much off, shouldn't Bobby's and Alex's accents be a little bit closer, no matter how different their families' original terran backgrounds?

A little bit of thread necromancy here, but just wanted to mention that the Expanse has ended after season 6, which came out earlier this year. Glad to report that they kept up the quality the whole way through. We are currently rewatching the whole show because goddammit it is so good, and upon rewatching I am again amazed at the amazing eye for detail throughout the whole show. Truly a great scifi show, in my opinion underrated and unfortunately not as popular as it could've been.

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #74 on: 23 Aug 2022, 08:58 »

A League of Their Own was fantastic. The writing, the performances, the stories, the characters, all of it.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Gyrre

« Reply #75 on: 25 Sep 2022, 00:10 »

Bee & Puppycat: Lazy in Space has been pretty for so far. (^-^)

Some of the stuff from the original webseries has been changed, and a few reveals and events have been jumped forward two to four episodes.... But, it's still been pretty fun.
a real-ass gaddam sword

oddtail

« Reply #76 on: 25 Sep 2022, 07:14 »

Finally watched "Peacemaker" with my wife and we both loved it.

If you like Gunn's brand of humour-combined-with-heavy-moments storytelling, this series does it particularly well.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #77 on: 11 Oct 2022, 19:19 »

Started up Avenue 5 because the new season just started and 2 episodes in I absolutely love it

oddtail

« Reply #78 on: 12 Oct 2022, 13:38 »

I've started watching "The Wire". On paper, it shouldn't be quite my thing, but a few episodes in, I like it immensely.

There is something about the way dialogue is written. It's instantly recognisable, no line is a cliché, but the conversations are not forced to be witty. Badly handled, a show can come off like everyone is a snarky bastard that communicates in quips.

Here, however, an idiot is an idiot, a snarky bastard is a snarky bastard, a serious person is serious. Not everyone TALKS intelligently. But all dialogue IS intelligently written.

This is so well done in "The Wire", and so rare in anything across any medium, that I can't help but be pulled in by the quality of the writing.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #79 on: 12 Oct 2022, 15:22 »

The Wire is really good but the fifth season just slid off my brain and I never finished it

Gyrre

« Reply #80 on: 11 Nov 2022, 19:06 »

Headless: A Sleepy Hollow Story

A touch weird, fun, funny and some hilarious visual gags.

EDIT: though, parts of episode 5 hurt my soul
« Last Edit: 11 Nov 2022, 19:42 by Gyrre »
a real-ass gaddam sword

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #81 on: 13 Nov 2022, 23:14 »

Season two of Warrior Nun was fantastic. It paid off on everything it built up in season one and avoided pitfalls I was worried it was going to fall into.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #82 on: 14 Nov 2022, 18:42 »

The wife and I are finally watching This Fool and it's pretty great so far

Gyrre

« Reply #83 on: 25 Dec 2022, 22:57 »

Two I'll recommend before the forum's end; Lupin and Godzilla: Singular Point

Lupin is a modern day psuedoadaptation of the exploits of Arsene Lupin.

Godzilla; Singular Point is a different take n the franchise by the studios Bones Inc and Orange
a real-ass gaddam sword

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up