Fun Stuff > ENJOY

Recommendations!

(1/155) > >>

est:
here is a general thread for people to recommend books, shows and movies to others.

the catch though is that any posts without a decent explanation of why the thing in question is being recommended will be deleted.

go!

1patheticloser:
My suggestion, to all those who have yet to, watch Joss Whedon's Firefly. I myself was not a fan of his earlier works, Buffy and Angel, but the combination of science fiction and western genres, with the bonus of great characters and smart-as-a-whip dialogue make this show one of the best I've seen in years. It was unfortunately cancelled before it even finished a season due to high budget and the inability of Fox to find a proper time slot for the show. It lives on in both the DVD box set of the collected episodes, and the new feature film, Serenity[/i]. The DVD set is regularly available at a relatively low cost (around 40 dollars US in these parts).

Links:
Buy it from Amazon.com
imdb.com info

Switchblade:
What he said.

My own particular book recommendation Is "Ilium" by Dan Simmons, and its sequel, "Olympos".

Aside from being a genuinely interesting concept - taking the plot of Homer's Iliad and then weaving it in with two or three other completely original storylines - it's a fine example of writing, and the underlying explanations for all the interweaving plots and characters is pretty cunning.

I'll let Dan Simmons sell the book, actually. This is the opening passage of text, taken from the very beginning of the first book:

--- Quote ---Rage.

Sing, O Muse, of the rage of Achilles, of Peleus' son, murderous, man-killer, fated to die, sing of the rage that cost the Achaeans so many good men and sent so many vital, hearty souls down to the dreary House of Death. And while you're at it, O Muse, sing of the rage of the gods themselves, so petulant and powerful here on their new Olympos, and of the rage of the post-humans, dead and gone though they might be, and of the rage of those few true umans left, self-absorbed and useless though they have become. While you are singin, O Muse, sing also of the rage of those thoughtful, sentent, serious but not-so-close-to-human beings out there dreaming under the ice of Europa, dying in the sulfur-ash of Io, and being born in hte cold folds of Ganymede.

Oh, and sing of me, O Muse, poor born-again-against his will Hockenberry - poor dead Thomas Hockenberry, Ph.D., Hockenbush to his friends, to friends long since turned to dust on a world long since left behind. Sing of my rage, yes, of my rage, O Muse, small and insignificant thought that rage may be when measured against the anger of the immortal gods, or when compared to the wrath of the god-killer, Achilles.

On second thought, O Muse, sing of nothing to me. I know you. I have been bound and servant to you, O Muse, you incomparable bitch. And I do not trust you, O Muse. Not one little bit.
--- End quote ---

Duchess Tapioca:
Movies for Halloween:

Man Bites Dog - It will educate you because it is Belgum and so you get to read the subtitles, and it is very funny.

Man With the Screaming Brain - It is also very silly, and by Bruce Cambell, great for Halloween! Dazzling make up and special effects! Drama! Robots!

Any short films that were in the H.P. Lovecraft Film Festival - They do Cthulhu right. Plus there are awesome scary films that will make you shiver and giggle at the same time. Also if you are in portland next year in early october, go t the hollywood theater.

Chumscrubber - It was trying to be like Donnie Darko, but it didn't quite make it. If you like dolphins, this movie is for you!

The Uninvited - It's got ghosts!

Old Dark House - Boris Karloff is in there, plus romance (not with boris karloff) and potatos (not related to the romance)

Do not forget the old traditions of Great Pumpikn, Charlie Brown and Hocus Pocus, because they're traditional.

Schmendrick:
I recently watched Closer. It is an incredibly well done movie about two couples who become intertwined. I would not watch this movie if you are stimulated more by visuals. Closer was originally a play and therefore relies heavily on the screenplay which is brilliantly worded.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version