THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Mar 2024, 01:27
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: Recommendations!  (Read 426042 times)

SilentJ

• Beyoncé
  • You're talking shit. Explain yourself.
    • I say things sometimes.
Re: Recommendations!
« Reply #150 on: 29 Dec 2006, 03:01 »

I'm pretty sure I haven't plugged them before, so UBER NERD IS BEGIN.

The Halo book series, by Eric Nylund and William C. Dietz are a very entertaining read.  Dietz has only done The Flood (story of the actual Halo game) so far, and it may be my least favorite, but it is still hell of awesome.  Nylund has done The Fall of Reach (everything up to Halo 1), First Strike (flashbacks to Reach and a lot of stiff after Halo), and Ghosts of Onyx (completely unrelated in any way, but probably my favorite so far).  I'm gonna try to avoid spoilers as much as possible here.  Pretty much they have a very big taste of the Halo-esque fantasy to them, but both authors like to be a bit technical.  For example, very rarely are they referred to as just a "pistol," "assault rifle," or "sniper rifle," but rather, an "M6D" or a sidearm (pistol), an "MA5B" (assault rifle) and "SRS99C-S2 AM" (sniper rifle).  This doesn't take away from the plot or the characters at all, but it gets really fuckin' annoying after like 4 books.  Still, highly recommended.
i shotgunned a beer, made my facebook pic an american flag, and have been yelling "AMURIKA" all evening.

DangerouslyRandom

« Reply #151 on: 29 Dec 2006, 03:59 »

Books:

Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, by Mark Haddon. Already saw someone else had mentioned this, but I simply had to. I really like this book, it's certainly different, and even though I had to read it for english, I enjoyed it A LOT! Makes you think about what autistic people go through sometimes.

How I paid for college: A novel of sex, theft, friendship and musical threatre. By Marc Acito. This is just about my favourite book of all time. It touches almost every subject, from embezzlement, to homosexual feelings. My friend read it, and got a bunch of copies and gave to everyone, and I try to tell everyone I know about this book. It's awesome, quite basically.

Movies:

After reading all the first page, I'm not sure if this was suggested buuuuttt!

Pieces of April: Kinda low budget, I think. It has Katie Holmes in it, but very good nonetheless. It's about a poor girl trying to cook (i'm supposing) her first turkey, for her family whose coming down. She wants everything to be perfect, but her oven is broke. Luckily... some of her neighbors in the apartment are nice!

Empire Records: Romance, and humour, along with music. It's a very excellent movie. There's not much I can without  giving away a lot of the movie, so I'm just going to say you'll probably like it, and quite possibly get the idea to glue quarters to the floor at your work, as part of your "art" (I know I have thought about it >.o; )

Saved!: Generic comedy of a "perfect" christian girl who gets knocked up, while she's trying to save her boyfriend from being gay. It's funny, romantic, and has Calkin in a wheelchair, courting a jewish girl. It's a very quoteable movie, and I'm sure a lot of people would enjoy it.

I think that's it. I'll add more as I think about them!

the_tard

« Reply #152 on: 29 Dec 2006, 04:08 »

the Donnie Darko soundtrack has Duran Duran on it, so it gets my automatic approval :lol:

Man, Donnie Darko was a strange-ass movie. Took me about two days to figure out what actually happened, but I finally understand. Just finished downloading 26 episodes of radio hitch hiker GttG off soulseek. That should keep me entertaind for 12 and a half hours.

SilentJ

• Beyoncé
« Reply #153 on: 29 Dec 2006, 13:27 »

Ooh, ooh, I totally forgot earlier.  In books, Lessons by Kim Pritekel just came out recently.  It's really a very entertaining read, but just to save anybody interested a couple bucks:

http://www.academyofbards.org/fanfic/k/kimpritekel_lessons1.html <- chapter one, just click "continue" to keep reading.

Enjoy.
i shotgunned a beer, made my facebook pic an american flag, and have been yelling "AMURIKA" all evening.

magdalena

« Reply #154 on: 30 Dec 2006, 13:14 »

the prydain chronicles by lloyd alexander.

a lot of people are all 'it rips off the lord of the rings' and dismiss it out of hand.  but you really should give it a chance.  i read them in middle school, and just fell in love with the characters.  especiallly taran, who starts out as an orphan who takes care of an oracular pig, then events are set in motion that make him a very important person in his land.  he grows so much from the first book, and it really is beautifully done.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • WXBC Bard College Radio Online
« Reply #155 on: 30 Dec 2006, 21:52 »

not sure if this has been mentioned but neal stephenson's 3000 page "Baroque Cycle" triology is frickin unbelievable. it's easily up there with the best historical fiction i've ever read, full of fascinating characters and lotsa action and tons of stuff on everything from politics to economics to science to religion to cryptography. all 3 are fantastic books and well worth the time it takes to read them.
I punched all the girls in the face on the way to the booth to vote for Hitler.

Hollow Press (my blog)

tehseal

« Reply #156 on: 31 Dec 2006, 08:05 »

Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

Mature reading in case you are sensetive to such things.

Oh and I agree with SilentJ about the Halo books except that I hated The Flood.  The other 3 are completely awesome.
« Last Edit: 31 Dec 2006, 08:07 by tehseal »

DangerouslyRandom

« Reply #157 on: 31 Dec 2006, 08:15 »

Mmm, not sure if someone has said this or not:

The Sovereign Stone Triology, by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman (The first book is "Well of Darkness", followed by "Guardians of the Lost" and "Journeying into the Void")

I believe it to be a very good read. When I picked it up, and read the inner flap, I was like, "Oooo!" and bought it. It's fantasy, so I guess it depends on what you like, but when I started reading it, I didn't stop until I reached the last page.

SilentJ

• Beyoncé
« Reply #158 on: 31 Dec 2006, 17:36 »

and read the inner flap

I totally read that as "inner fap"

mmmm, Zen of masturbating.

KnnOs

« Reply #159 on: 03 Jan 2007, 11:52 »

Kushiel's Dart
    Ok, it was mentioned previously but I had to add my own two cents, seriously, this is a well written series. I picked it up at first on the recommendation of a friend, largely because of the overt sexiness he mentioned. Anyone approaching these on that one level will find themselves delightfully surprised. The world of Terre D'Ange is filled with characters of every shape and description, but unlike those terribly dry Russian novels you had to read in High School, they are actually characterized... WELL! You find yourself caring about characters very minor to the story, just because they are so richly drawn. You may also find yourself understanding parts of yourself you never did before.
   The plot itself is intricate but drawn very logically from the characters that give it shape. Phedre was abandoned as a young girl into the care of one of the foremost houses of "The Night Court". She considers herself no more than a "whore's unwanted get" until Anafiel Delaunay sees her, and recognizes the flaw in her eye, a tiny mote of red floating in the darkness, as Kushiel's Dart, the mark of a god's hand. Under his training she becomes one of the most cleverly placed spies in the land. There are cleverer forces at work in the world, however, and Phedre will have to match all of her talents with her own brand of defiant spirit to preserve everything she holds dear. It's one of those series I try to convince all my friends to read.

Hustle
  Another example of excellent storytelling based strongly around character, Hustle is a BBC production which you can catch unreliably on AMC television. I got into it when they were shown regularly but now it's kind of hard to run into. However, Season 1 is out on DVD and Season 2 is out next month, they're 20 dollar DVDs that I strongly recommend.
   The show centers around a small group of professional con men. Albert Stroller (Robert Vaughn) is an older con man but no less sharp for it. He plays the role of the roper, meeting the marks, sparking their interest. He introduces them to the inside man, Michael Stone, a.k.a. Mickey Bricks. Under the tutelage of Stroller, Stone has become the premier long con player, and he plays his game with this sort of freewheeling charm that makes it hard not to like him. Ashley "Ash" Morgan is the chainsmoking "fixer." Need an alarm reprogrammed, retinal data replaced, or a company "created" overnight? Ash is your man. There is a long-standing axiom which tells us that a woman may get into many places a man finds barred to him, but dismissing Stacy Monroe as just another pretty face is a mistake that's left many victims bleeding from the bank account. Finally, there's the newbie, Danny Blue. Already an experienced short-con player, Danny forces his way into a con and eventually makes of himself a valuable, if volatile, member of the team.
   These aren't the modern con men, "robbing old ladies of their pensions" but rather the gentlemen con artists of old, holding themselves to the maxim that "You can't cheat an honest man." Every mark is left an out, a place where they can walk away by doing the right thing. As you might suspect, almost no one takes that route. The show is strangely moral, funny, dramatic and overwhelmingly charming.

mqarcus

« Reply #160 on: 05 Jan 2007, 18:37 »

Everyone should see Lost In Translation, read something by Nietzsche and listen to The Flaming Lips.

elcapitan

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #161 on: 06 Jan 2007, 17:59 »

Following that, they should look up the definition of the word "cliche". :P

I recommend Milan Kundera's The Incredible Lightness Of Being.

Misereatur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Quicksand my butt
« Reply #162 on: 06 Jan 2007, 21:26 »

Seconded.

Amazing book.
FREE JAZZ ISN'T FREE!

I am a music republican.

Caspian

• The Tickler
« Reply #163 on: 08 Jan 2007, 19:26 »

Well, I don't read a lot of real intellectual stuff, but I am reading the First and Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, which is this really awesome Fantasy series. It's the whole epic fantasy thing, but it's not all that cliched. I would highly recommend that to anyone who enjoys fantasy, or even people who don't. Stephen Donaldson is the Author, btw.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #164 on: 10 Jan 2007, 17:45 »

. . . Is that the sequel to The Unbearable Lightness of Being??

Utopian

« Reply #165 on: 12 Jan 2007, 17:35 »

Everyone should see Lost In Translation, read something by Nietzsche and listen to The Flaming Lips.
Agree, disagree, agree. :)

Everyone should read some David Hume. I love his sort of "philosophy is just philosophy, you can't necessarily live your life by it" approach! Although being the sceptic he is I suppose he needs it or he'd have walked off a cliff.

mqarcus

« Reply #166 on: 12 Jan 2007, 21:40 »

Nothing wrong with Nietzsche, his books has helped me through rough times.

Scytale

« Reply #167 on: 13 Jan 2007, 15:58 »

I think Nietzsche's works are amazing, especially Zarathusta and Beyond Good and Evil. They definately changed my life.

I'd reccomend reading Jean Paul Satre's Nausea.

A less existential reccomendation would be Neil Gaiman's American Gods, which I read over christmas and thoroughly enjoyed.

I

Utopian

« Reply #168 on: 13 Jan 2007, 19:47 »

Nietzsche is very interesting, yes, but David Hume is my favourite philosopher.

Sythe

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • ><DICK>
« Reply #169 on: 15 Jan 2007, 06:14 »

My own particular book recommendation Is "Ilium" by Dan Simmons, and its sequel, "Olympos".

I actually just picked up both books on the merit of Dan Simmons' Hyperion trilogy.

Speaking of which, Hyperion, The Fall of Hyperion, and Endymion were all kickass reads.

Simmons has a neat style of storytelling in which the threads of the story don't come together as much as branch out. At times, its difficult to put the book down and come back to it a few days later, as every few pages the narrative can jump hundreds of lightyears.

Edit: Whattheshit, I knew the OP was old, but damn.
« Last Edit: 15 Jan 2007, 06:22 by Sythe »
Quote from: Edith
Edith.: i like balls, and they are squishy

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
« Reply #170 on: 15 Jan 2007, 12:24 »

Not Wanted On The Voyage by Timothy Findley is a dark, captivating retelling of the Noah's Ark story. It's about as far from a traditional version of the tale as you can get. I might post a paragraph or two later to get you used to the idea. Then you should go read it.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

tomselleck69

• FIGHT YOU
  • Now We All Have Metal Skin
    • Harold Bloom
« Reply #171 on: 17 Jan 2007, 04:37 »

. . . Is that the sequel to The Unbearable Lightness of Being??

no, that was "Unbearable Lightness of Being Reloaded"
"Cocks." - Harold Bloom

Locke

« Reply #172 on: 17 Jan 2007, 15:37 »

High Fidelity, the book and the movie.  They're both wonderful.  John Cusack in his best role, Jack Black before he became totally overused.

In movies, Almost Famous is a great one, and home to the best music from a non-real band ever!  It even has Chasing Amy's Jason Lee in it!

Igby Goes Down is a personal favorite, sort of a modernized Catcher in the Rye, very good film.  If you liked movies like Ghost World and Little Miss Sunshine, you'll like Igby.  Also see the first two Wes Anderson films, Rushmore and The Royal Tenenbaums.

And watch my movie, "Possibilities" when its... done.  It'll be good, seriously!

In books, I reccommend "The Areas Of My Expertise" By John Hodgman.  He's the guy who appears on The Daily Show sometimes and plays the PC in the Mac vs PC commercials.  The book is brilliant.  It even comes with a blurb from the high priest of the church of Satan on it!

Also, read God's Debris by Scott Adams (Its available as a free ebook, just google it) and if you really like it, the sequel The Religion War.  Great thinking books.

Techies would do well to read Steal This Computer Book 4.0, which is a wonderful tome on the seamy underbelly of the internets.

Fans of Kevin Smith should check out Silent Bob Speaks, a collection of his writings over his career in various forms.  Very funny stuff.  Similarly, comic book geeks should read Men of Tomorrow.
« Last Edit: 17 Jan 2007, 15:41 by Locke »

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #173 on: 18 Jan 2007, 02:36 »

Also see the first two Wes Anderson films, Rushmore and The Royal Tenenbaums.

*sigh*
almost buddy. almost.

Hollow Press (my blog)

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #174 on: 18 Jan 2007, 13:01 »

BOTTLE ROCKET = WIN

The bit where Owen Wilson comes in and the dude who plays Pagoda isn't opening the safe? Classic.

SilentJ

• Beyoncé
« Reply #175 on: 19 Jan 2007, 03:57 »

No! You never had it!

...I really need to see this movie.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #176 on: 19 Jan 2007, 04:02 »

Jean-Pierre Jeunet's (the guy who direct amelie) "delicatessen" is so damn good. not only it is one of my favorite post-apocalyptic movies, it's one one my favorite movies altogether. darkly funny, it's about an apartment building run by a butcher who hires ppl to do odd jobs and then kills them, selling thier meat as food to the knowing tenants. any movie full of cannabilism, secret ogranizations of men living in the sewers who wear shiny black jumpsuits, a guy who lives in a room ankle deep with water full of snails and frogs, and two men who spend all day making sheep sound voice boxes is gold in my book. any fan of amazingly good surreal stuff should check this out.

Hollow Press (my blog)

SilentJ

• Beyoncé
« Reply #177 on: 19 Jan 2007, 06:34 »

The Wire.

Dude, I just found out that my uncle got a bit part in a season two episode.  He played some bumbling security guard, I believe.  Later tonight, if not sometime tomorrow, I'ma find out which episode he's in and let you know.

Runs_With_Scissors

• FIGHT YOU
  • Cockslayer!
    • My blog :)
« Reply #178 on: 19 Jan 2007, 14:32 »

The book 'nature girl' by carl hiiason (sp?) was good. I got it for my dad for x-mas, so of course I read it before he did :D
I'm the fucking Han Solo of forum politics.

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #179 on: 20 Jan 2007, 16:20 »

The Wire.

Dude, I just found out that my uncle got a bit part in a season two episode.  He played some bumbling security guard, I believe.  Later tonight, if not sometime tomorrow, I'ma find out which episode he's in and let you know.

Awesome!

Hmm . . . "bumbling security guard" . . . Sounds like [checks D.V.D.s] episode 12, when Bunk and Freamon go to Philadelphia.

Doctor Awesome

« Reply #180 on: 21 Jan 2007, 02:32 »

Good Omens was by Neil Gaiman as well as Prattchett? Sweet.
Also, a hearty second for Illuminatus!, Hustle and Donnie Darko (i've though about it, it cannot make sense without contradicting itself)
Iluminatus! is one of those books that you want to know nothing about. If anyone even mentions it to you before you finish, hit them. Hard. In the nuts. Read the whole trilogy at once, and then walk out into a new world.

Series of Unfortunate Events Its aimed at about 12-14 year olds, but mein gott its incredible. It IS 13 books, which will set you back about a fiver each (British fiver) but its well worth it. I'm seriously considering buying the entire series and re-reading them all over about a week (each book is pretty short, i finished The End in one sitting) Its completely nuerotic and will play with your head for quite some while.

Stephen King's Dark Tower Series Sheer bloody genius. Incredibly strange, but amazing. I would also recommend It and The Strand (Stand? Strand? can't remember) as they have interlinking themes. Whether you read these two before, after or inbetween the series will definately change your perception of it. Lovin' it loads.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #181 on: 23 Jan 2007, 05:06 »

i'm sure most of you had read it, but Catch 22 remains one of my all time favorite books to this day. it's so incredibly funny. i was rereading it today in midterms after i finished my test and i had to stop b/c i kept laughing and the proctor kept telling me to stop. it's tough for a book to make me laugh out loud but that one does it consistently. i'd argue it's funnier (and all around better) than a confederacy of dunces (brilliant as that book is). if you somehow haven't read catch 22 do so. right now.

Hollow Press (my blog)

SilentJ

• Beyoncé
« Reply #182 on: 23 Jan 2007, 18:18 »

The Wire.

Awesome!

Hmm . . . "bumbling security guard" . . . Sounds like [checks D.V.D.s] episode 12, when Bunk and Freamon go to Philadelphia.

I think that might be the episode, I just remember that these two peoples (one guy, one girl) were in some residential tower lookin' for another dude, and they found out he lives/went to the 6th floor.

S'all I got, sorry.

Shiney_Gothique

« Reply #183 on: 24 Jan 2007, 07:12 »

Movies: Kill Bill Vol 1 & 2. These must be watched back to back. Good for a rainy bad when your feeling a little glum. Nothing like a bit of slaughter to pep you up.

TV Shows: HBO's Carnivale. They did cut the show after only 2 seasons but it really was genius. HBO is just gay that's all.

Books: The Axis Trilogy (BattleAxe, Enchanter, StarMan)  and The Wayfarer Redemption (Sinner, Pilgrim, Crusader) both be Sara Douglass. These are just fantastically writen fantasy novels. They are so compelling. I loved every second of them. (In America the 2 trilogies were printed as one 6 book series called The Wayfarer Redemption. Kinda confusing eh?
« Last Edit: 26 Jan 2007, 09:54 by Shiney_Gothique »

Evil_Lathander

• Larger than most fish
  • Fighting The World
« Reply #184 on: 25 Jan 2007, 20:21 »

I recommend "The Wheel of Time" series to anybody who likes good fantasy books with a coherent world
HUMANITY CAN SUCK MY HARDDRIVE

Utopian

« Reply #185 on: 28 Jan 2007, 16:03 »

The Wheel of Time, related games and forums and the other forums it led me to is responsible for about 80% of my social life. Even if they were crap I'd have to be grateful for that! I love them though - I really care about a lot of the characters.

I just read Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere. I'm already really into the Sandman graphic novels but haven't read many of his other novels.

A nice short novel I just thought of is Hackenfeller's Ape by Brigid Brophy. It's a very sweet look at humans and animals and how we treat eachother, plus how people think in general. I should reread it - it's been a while.

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #186 on: 01 Feb 2007, 13:44 »

HBO is just gay that's all.

Really? The entire organisation's staffed by homosexuals?

I guess society's come a long way after all!

SilentJ

• Beyoncé
« Reply #187 on: 01 Feb 2007, 20:48 »

I think I respect them now!

Scytale

« Reply #188 on: 02 Feb 2007, 01:02 »

I just read Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere. I'm already really into the Sandman graphic novels but haven't read many of his other novels.

American Gods is the only thing of hr's I've read, it's really good I'd definately reccomend it.

Takeru

« Reply #189 on: 02 Feb 2007, 10:07 »

Koreeda Hirokazu's Nobody Knows is a fantastic movie if you're into art cinema.  The camera work is spectacular, yet not unexpected if you're familiar with Koreeda.  The pace is slow, yet sporadic, and in a sense it seems as if there's an attempt to capture the world from the perspective of children, who are the main actors within the plot.  Taken over the span of a year, you also get to see character development that's mostly natural rather than directed, which is a unique twist since the movie adjusts for the actors rather than the opposite.  If you're looking for commercial entertainment, this film isn't probably going to appeal much.  However, if you're out for something new and into the more art/indie end of films, Nobody Knows won't be disappointing.

TheFuriousWombat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #190 on: 02 Feb 2007, 13:42 »

American Gods is the only thing of hr's I've read, it's really good I'd definately reccomend it.

i second neverwhere and american gods. they're definetly among the better fantasty novels with contemporary/real world settings that i've read. great stories and lots of very interesting characters abound. well worth looking at if you like the genre. i haven't read much of sandman so i can't really compare that to his novels at all...

Hollow Press (my blog)

Johnny C

• Mentat
« Reply #191 on: 02 Feb 2007, 22:17 »

That movie with Will Ferrell in it, Stranger Than Fiction? It's good, guys. Like, really good.

SilentJ

• Beyoncé
« Reply #192 on: 06 Feb 2007, 18:36 »

I've been wanting to see that for a while now.

Is that like just coming out in theaters, or is it on DVD yet?

Jeppo

« Reply #193 on: 12 Feb 2007, 16:11 »

comic/graphic novels-
Daisy Kutter: the last train - nicely drawn, great story, best for teens to young adult but great for anyone really
flight, vol 1,2+3 - a collection of shorts by alternative graphic novelists
Blankets - by craig thompson. after you read it, you'll force your friends to read it, then read it again. its about relationships. doo de doo
calvin & hobbes - by bill watterson
anything by chris ware
lone wolf and cub - classic adventure story about a wondering samurai and his son (they made some 'not that good' films about it, called babycart)

movies-
life aquatic - bill murray film, so so good. about a documentry maker and his possible son, go to find a shark that killed his best friend.
me and you and everyone we know - great film about a guy and his two kids. its sad, funny + interesting.
dead leaves - really really intense bright strange colourful crazy excentric mad weird animation.
oldboy - a man is imprisoned for 15 years. then released. not really a who'dunnit. its a why'dunnit.

Series-
Invader Zim - great cartoon by jhonen vasques (JTHM + Squee, they're comics :wink:) makes me LAUGH everytime i see it. also has a cute robot...
Black Books - a british comedy about a book shop. its got dylan moran and bill bailey. its ummm.. reccomendable..
downtown - short lived mtv production. about a bunch of young adults livin downtown. download it somewhere if you manage to find it.

if you like these reccomendations, ill try to think of others :)

Utopian

« Reply #194 on: 14 Feb 2007, 07:05 »

I saw Oldboy without knowing a thing about it, it was just the next film starting when I went to the cinema one day. I think it's one of those films I can say truly blew my mind.

GruntyBalboa

• Plantmonster
  • Work was fun
« Reply #195 on: 15 Feb 2007, 21:17 »

Read World War Z by Max Brooks. It's an incredibly well done book. I was expecting a poorly done joke book, but it wound up being incredibly well thought out.

Jed

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #196 on: 05 Mar 2007, 10:56 »

Movie: The 9th Company

The 9th Company is a russian war film about the young men who fought and died at the mountains of Afghanistan during Soviet Unions war in Afghanistan. Okay, it seems at first glance just like any other war film you've seen. But the story develops quite rapidly and it has lot of good action. I'd recommend this to everyone just for the lack of russian films in international market. This movie kicks ass... Watch it.
"To say that Columbus discovered America is by no means inaccurate! I discover things people already knew about all the time!"

ampersandwitch

• The Tickler
  • cuntstruck
« Reply #197 on: 05 Mar 2007, 19:09 »

That movie with Will Ferrell in it, Stranger Than Fiction? It's OKAY, guys. Like, really OKAY.

FIXD

jimbunny

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • I'll show you the life of the mind!
« Reply #198 on: 05 Mar 2007, 20:36 »

To read: Anything and everything by William Gibson, Neil Gaiman, and Ursula K LeGuin. If I had to pick just one from each, I'd go with Pattern Recognition by Gibson (just because it's the most stand-alone...All Tomorrow's Parties might be his best writing); Neverwhere by Gaiman (I think I enjoyed it more than American Gods, though that may be his most significant); and...hmm...The Left Hand of Darkness by LeGuin (she doesn't hit the mark with every book, but when she's on, she can leave everyone else in the dust).

Liz

• Older than Moses
  • Nuclear Bomb Tits
    • Last.fm
« Reply #199 on: 07 Mar 2007, 19:17 »

Read: Death Be Not Proud by John Gunther

Watch: The Last King of Scotland

Listen: Blu Sanders
Quote from: John
Liz is touching me.
Quote from: Bryan