THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Mar 2024, 21:33
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recommendations!  (Read 425960 times)

tywren

• Emoticontraindication
Re: Recommendations!
« Reply #750 on: 12 Mar 2015, 19:54 »

I've found this fun little animated web series, and thought i'd share it here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trfB_0ycTp0&list=PL_9VobYoMHhBjLjSxq5vzNW_9b00VUxiE

The creator has taken Native America, and Mesoamerican mythos, as well as early American folk tales, mixed them together, and come up with a unique story. There is also a heavy musical influence to the series, though admittedly very different music to that associated with QC.

Anyway, give it watch, and i hope you enjoy.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #751 on: 20 Jun 2015, 07:43 »

Yesterday we saw Tennant and Tate in Much Ado About Nothing. Find it. It's hilarious.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Emoroffle

• FIGHT YOU
  • Warning! Bites when asked to.
« Reply #752 on: 19 Mar 2016, 20:32 »

For those that are into manga and anime I highly recommend Wandering Son (Horou Musuko) it's is probably the single best piece in anime/manga with a positively represented trans character. For non-LGBT focused work with a well represented trans character I'd say watch Moyashimon. Kei starts transition during the first season of the anime but it's really just a side plot since she is not the main character.
Super-villain in training.

powermta

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
    • PowerMTA
« Reply #753 on: 24 Aug 2017, 09:16 »

My recommendation will be Gattaca, is a pretty good movie that no much people haven't seen yet

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #754 on: 06 Oct 2017, 18:21 »

"San Junipero", an episode from Season 4 of "Black Mirror". Not a remarkable plot but meticulously crafted and emotionally affecting.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

dutchrvl

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #755 on: 18 Dec 2017, 14:27 »

"San Junipero", an episode from Season 4 of "Black Mirror". Not a remarkable plot but meticulously crafted and emotionally affecting.

Black Mirror as a whole is such a great show, with almost perfect handling of contemporary issues.

Anyway, I highly recommend 2 Netflix shows: Mindhunter and Dark.

Clovis Man

• Not quite a lurker
  • A well-preserved paeleoindian.
« Reply #756 on: 14 Mar 2018, 23:51 »

I need to dig out my copy of the 2010 BBC4 version of Macbeth, starring Sit Patrick Stewart. It's faithful to the original, and fits surprisingly well into a early 1950s Stalinist Soviet Union setting.

Along this line, I'd also recommend Throne of Blood (Kumonosu-jō), the 1957 adaptation by Akira Kurosawa.
My consuctress on the number 19, she was a honey,
Pink toenails, hands all dirty with money...
== Dire Straits, Wild West End

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #757 on: 16 Mar 2018, 18:45 »

A Wrinkle in Time.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Meadomancer

• Plantmonster
« Reply #758 on: 18 May 2018, 22:41 »

Kill Six Billion Demons

The best description I can come up with is a pandimensional wuxia-styled adventure influenced by heavy metal and hard drugs.  Currently on an interlude as the author works on a huge update. 

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine
« Reply #759 on: 19 May 2018, 08:48 »

"The Abyss Surrounds Us" Lesbian pirate, a girl who trains and controls giant sea monsters, naval battles, monster fights, burgeoning love between queer ladies. It's a quick paced, fun, and engaging story with rich, complex, layered characters, exciting action, tense emotions, and a healthy discussion of consent.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #760 on: 19 May 2018, 09:37 »

Is that a book or what? Sounds great.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #761 on: 19 May 2018, 13:34 »

It is a book, yes. The author's name is Emily Skrutskie.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

heyjames4

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #762 on: 23 Aug 2018, 19:00 »

Wotakoi: Love is Hard for Otaku
A romance comedy anime/manga. I enjoyed it and think that other fans of QC might enjoy it too.

It's about some twenty-something nerds with office jobs being in romances, having misunderstandings and troubles, and addressing those troubles by talking about their feelings with each other.

The last few arcs in QC (Sam's workplace injury, Claire's anxiety) have been in similar spaces. Where the troubles of everyday life can be overcome, if you put in the emotional work.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #763 on: 21 Sep 2018, 05:31 »

Miss Melee - An indie superhero comic.
Basically, it's the story of Janice 'Jan' Jones, a white-collar suburban professional, wife and mother who somehow manages to lead an amazing double-life as a costumed crime-fighter. However, as the story progresses, it becomes ever clearer that the two sides of Jan's life are slowly beginning to merge!
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

dutchrvl

« Reply #764 on: 01 Mar 2019, 07:27 »

I would recommend "Umbrella academy" on Netflix. Based on a limited comic series, it's basically about a dysfunctional family of 7 adopted children with possible superpowers.

WIthout giving away anything, one of the best things about it is that it's not much about their powers, but really about the family dynamics and personal struggles. Yet, there are some fascinating sci-fi/fantasy ideas strewn in as well. While not perfect by any means, it has enough going for it, including a some strong performances, mainly by Ellen Page and 15-year old Aidan Callagher.

dutchrvl

« Reply #765 on: 18 May 2020, 07:16 »

I would recommend "Umbrella academy" on Netflix. Based on a limited comic series, it's basically about a dysfunctional family of 7 adopted children with possible superpowers.

WIthout giving away anything, one of the best things about it is that it's not much about their powers, but really about the family dynamics and personal struggles. Yet, there are some fascinating sci-fi/fantasy ideas strewn in as well. While not perfect by any means, it has enough going for it, including a some strong performances, mainly by Ellen Page and 15-year old Aidan Callagher.

Season 2 of the Umbrella Academy coming July 31st! Excited!

Dolphin Jack

• Not quite a lurker
  • I wish the woud
« Reply #766 on: 26 May 2020, 00:41 »

I jus been readin "Confederacy of Dunces" an I lookup a word (the books ful of globulor incantayshuns) in the wiktionary, and lo: the sample use is identicle where I readin it from.
Quote from: Jhon Kannedy Tool
Christ, I tell you true, Irene, that child won't listen to nobody! I'm trying to cook her some spaghettis and daube, and she keeps on playing in my pot.
(click to show/hide)

dutchrvl

« Reply #767 on: 04 Aug 2020, 05:55 »

Season 2 of the Umbrella Academy coming July 31st! Excited!

So far (7 episodes in) I'd say season 2 is better than season 1. Whereas season 1 had quite a few issues, season 2 is generally a fun romp with better character development for most.

N.N. Marf

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • I came; I vexed; I left. Sorry.
« Reply #768 on: 17 Nov 2020, 04:28 »

This calls for a Patreon-only pin-up of May in partially-unzipped overalls and carrying a Colt Python 44 with the title "Repo Gal".
I'm sure there's a joke in there, but I'm not seeing it. Even took out my microscope..
No, no joke. It was an entirely serious suggestion! I'm not sure but I do have vague memories of a film called 'Repo Man' and the image in my head may have been based on its poster.
I was right about the reference!
A great movie everyone should watch.. if you can stomach the sexism, homophobia, racism,, not glorified, but it's there---a reflection of the times, perhaps.. It's a punk masterpiece, on the level of Aqua's Barbie Girl. Depressing. More depressing how the studio garbled the ending, but I'm not sure it's the worse for it; Different, no doubt, but knowing that history only enhances it's punk. Magnus Prophecy's Criterion Retrospective gets it's essence, but to some conclusions, jumps.
« Last Edit: 17 Nov 2020, 15:53 by N.N. Marf »
The glans, shaft, and testes had yet to be soldered together. (Probably due to Google.)
Quote from: Neil Young (Sixty to Zero, ¶5)
Now the jailhouse was empty
All the criminals were gone

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #769 on: 17 Nov 2020, 07:46 »

I just finished reading "Plain Bad Heroines" by Emily M. Danforth (probably most famous for "The Miseducation of Cameron Post"). It is a combination horror story, historical drama, romantic comedy, and Hollywood critique. It surprisingly managed to pull off all these very well with both the individual aspects being particularly good as well as the combined whole. The book splits its narrative between the time leading up to and the process of filming a horror film and the historical events the film is based on. I particularly enjoyed the narrative style, which evokes the feeling of the author speaking directly to the reader and, in meta sort of way, acts similarly to mockumentary style as the film in the book. The characters are immanently relatable, if not always likable, which makes them feel that much more real. The illustrations that litter the book periodically add dramatically to the style and mood of the piece.
@syleegrrl

Dock Braun

• Curry sauce
  • Wear a mask.
« Reply #770 on: 29 Dec 2020, 00:12 »

Noize MC - Грабли---I don't know what they're singing, but the video is interesting. They're having a dinner party, and everyone's wearing some sack over their head. The host, I presume, wanted real communication, or can't handle the falsh---so much so, that they leave their guests, for another dinner party, already resigned to masking up. (Notice his sack, is of a ruder quality, than their guests' sacks.) The new host, however, seems to have similar ideas, as the the old host, whose masking up, only propagates that repression onto another---who almost recognizes their new guest's nascent maskedness, but, despite the prospect of real communication, the host is caught by the popular falsh---of which the new guest is participating. So the new host leaves, as the old host did, for better opportunities---settling, as the old host did, for stifling the next host---putting on a mask.
It makes me wish I wouldn't polish my text so well, so removed from myself, but to speak myself, as myself,
Trouble with the world isn't too many people―it's too many bodies. ---Professor E. Kingswater

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #771 on: 29 Dec 2020, 00:45 »

Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

Gyrre

« Reply #772 on: 03 Nov 2022, 20:32 »

A short fantasy story

The God of Arepo
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]   Go Up