THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 11:35
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16   Go Down

Author Topic: Recommendations!  (Read 430465 times)

ViolentDove

• Scrabble hacker
Re: Recommendations!
« Reply #650 on: 14 Jan 2010, 23:43 »

New China Mieville book, The City & The City is really good. Different vibe to the Bas Lag novels, more of a existential murder mystery a la Paul Auster or something.
With cake ownership set to C and cake consumption set to K, then C + K = 0.  So indeed as one consumes a cake, one simultaneously deprives oneself of cake ownership. 

Aurjay

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #651 on: 26 Jan 2010, 06:54 »

I watched "let the right one in" when it was on Sundance ppv and still try to persuade my friends to give it a chance. By far one of the best vampire flicks ive ever seen and just completely different in every good way. ***spolier***

there was a topic thread on IMDB about the gender of the vampire. I've heard the book says its a boy thats been mutilated but the movie seems to make strong suggestions of it being a girl or even both. Either way still a great movie.

**edit** i lied i saw it on the internet not Sundance. There was a previous thread just about this movie.
http://forums.questionablecontent.net/index.php/topic,21799.msg748828.html#msg748828 had to go to that thread to refresh my memory :/
« Last Edit: 26 Jan 2010, 07:13 by Aurjay »
Your mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open.

sean

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • welp
« Reply #652 on: 26 Jan 2010, 09:08 »

i nabbed a torrent of it to check it out when i was home two weekends ago. i was fairly unimpressed, it was kind of whatever. i think the rip i had though also had the shitty subtitles which really didn't help (the english was kind of whacked out). i feel that better subtitles wouldn't have improved the film significantly though.

edit: wait i just checked my copy and compared it to the link pilsner posted my subtitles were good. weird. maybe sweedish just translates oddly to english? i dunno doesn't change the fact i didn't care much for the film.
« Last Edit: 26 Jan 2010, 09:14 by sean »
- 20% of canadians are members of broken social scene

Ikrik

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #653 on: 05 Feb 2010, 20:41 »

Some great movies recently, some of them documentaries. 

Right now I'm watching Control Room, which is about how Al Jazeera has portrayed the Iraqi war.  It's incredibly powerful the way they interview this one American whose beliefs are completely questioned.  It is really amazing, even if it's a little old and they talk about Bush and Rumsfeld a lot.

S21: The Killing Squad of the Khmer Rouge.  Or something to that affect.  It's these two survivors of this horrible prison camp who go back and look through stuff and one of them even talks to some of the guards there.  He tries to get them to see themselves not as victims but as the instigators of some of the horrible things they did, the guards, predictably, keep saying they were also victims.  It's another incredibly powerful documentary even if there is no conclusion.

Thirst is not a documentary but it is another absolutely incredible film from Chan-Wook Park, director of Oldboy.  If you like any of his other films this is something you need to see right now.  This and Let the Right One In are incredible vampire films. 

Dimmukane

• juicer
« Reply #654 on: 05 Feb 2010, 21:13 »

Thirst is not a documentary but it is another absolutely incredible film from Chan-Wook Park, director of Oldboy.  If you like any of his other films this is something you need to see right now. 

Saw this, I concur.  While I was a huge fan of his visual flair in the Vengeance trilogy and I'm Not A Robot But That's OK, he still makes this movie distinctly his own without the flashiness of his previous films. 
Quote from: Johnny C
all clothes reflect identity constructs, destroy these constructs by shedding your clothes and sending pictures of the process to the e-mail address linked under my avatar

Daft pun

• Curry sauce
  • hugs not ughs
« Reply #655 on: 07 Feb 2010, 03:58 »

The Trotsky

The best, well, most entertaining anyway, film I saw at this year's IFFR. The main character is a 17 year old kid who's convinced he's the reincarnation of Leon Trotsky, hilarity ensues.
All this won't do you any good; you cannot return to the moon!

syrupykeyboard

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • These dynamite walls contain us.
« Reply #656 on: 13 Mar 2010, 18:44 »

I don't know if this has already been recommended, because holy crap 14 pages, but;
The Dark Tower series by Stephen King.

I've liked all of his stuff that I've read, but nothing is as epic as this series. Some of the main ideas in the books are things I was thinking about when I was a little kid.
There's just such a sense of truth about it, and I can really get inside Roland's head.
It's a good series. I hope I have given a good enough reason why I think it is.
"And I don't know where I'm going yet, but it's somewhere quite a ways from here I'll bet..."

Theriandros

« Reply #657 on: 16 Mar 2010, 09:53 »

Only recommend that series if you still liked it at the end of Book 7. I've heard the epilogue is pretty polarizing.

Also, "The Dark Tower VIII: Money out of the Asshole" is on it's way.

(No seriously "The Wind Though the Keyhole" is a thing, people)

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #658 on: 16 Mar 2010, 10:28 »

Coincidentally, I'm about to finish The Dark Tower series for the second time. Good stuff, not quite as amazing as it was the first time I read it, but I still like it.

Speaking of Stephan King: I highly recommened the movie 1408. It's one of my favorite movies, and getting really stoned and watching it last night completely reaffirmed that. For starters, it's actually scary, something most horror movies have not been able to be for the last 15 or 20 years.

Also, it has some of the most amazing cinematography for a horror/thriller movie. They use some of the most ridiculous camera angles (from inside keyholes and refrigerators, for example). The music is fantastic, John Cusack is amazing, Sam Jackson is good, and the dialogue is witty and smooth.

The color pallette is amazing as well, it's an incredibly vibrant and varied-looking movie.
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

yellowfoliage

• Obscure cultural reference
  • it's THE aspect
« Reply #659 on: 29 Mar 2010, 16:24 »

If The Room plays anywhere that is a reasonable drive from where you live, it is totally worth checking out. It's a unique theatrical experience, augmented greatly by an entusiastic audience. Check out the audience participation rituals on the internet, bring lots of plastic spoons, and prepare to have your mind blown.
« Last Edit: 30 Mar 2010, 06:26 by yellowfoliage »

Theriandros

« Reply #660 on: 30 Mar 2010, 08:35 »

Oh, hi Mark!

HiFranc

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • On a night out, October 2013
    • My LiveJournal page
« Reply #661 on: 10 Jun 2010, 02:06 »

I would recommend the following:

Film:

Minority Report: Sci-fi and action, and the film also poses moral, legal and philosphical questions.

Sliding Doors: An interesting concept, well executed. The film has an emotional heart whilst explaining the butterfly effect well.

In My Country: Based on an autobiography, the film takes us on an emotional journey whilst looking that issues raised by South Africa's Truth and Reconciliation Commission.

The Lives of Others: A drama that looks at the way the East German dictatorship functioned.

Sophie Scholl -- The Last Days: A film about a [real] member of the White Rose Alliance (a group of Germans that tried, through peaceful means, to bring an end to Hitler's dictatorship). Worth watching to get an idea what it was like in the German resistance.

The Killing Fields: Based on a true story. The film shows us the hardships experienced by people under the Khmer Rouge. A powerful film that gives an idea of the Pohl Pott regime.

Timeline: Time travel and romance. OK, I'm softy at heart.

Shiri: Korean action film. Notable because it successfully combines action, drama and romance.  Most films usually only manage 2.

Contact: A realistic look at how a First Contact situation with an Extra Terrestrial Intelligence may play out.

Book:

Society of the Mind by Eric L Harry: A book that looks at some of the debates around AI.

Feet of Clay by Terry Pratchett: Another good take on the AI debate and has a few laughs as well.

{edit}

Documentary:

Five Steps to Tyranny (2000): Uses the results of psychological experiments to show how easy it is to turn a democracy into a dictatorship.
« Last Edit: 21 Jun 2010, 11:54 by HiFranc »
Francisco

Ikrik

• Asleep in the boner patch
« Reply #662 on: 26 Jun 2010, 02:51 »

I'll definitely scrap the recommendation for Shiri, for a South Korean action film it was decent when it came out but has definitely not stood the test of time well at all.

This movie recommendation list is going to be kind of really long:

3-Iron is a fantastic sorta-romantic Korean drama about this guy who breaks into people's homes and lives in them.  He develops a relationship with an abused housewife.  It's really amazing because neither of them ever really speak and it's really interesting to see how the director handled it.

Dear Zachary.  If you want to bawl your eyes out like a baby, then this movie is for you.  I have never shed a tear for a movie in my life, ever.  This movie had me bawling around 3 times in it's duration.  This filmmaker's friend was brutally murdered and so the guy decided to make a movie for this guy's son about the man his father was.  Absolutely heart-wrenching.

OSS 117.  Either Lost in Rio or Cairo, Nest of Spies.  They're basically French James Bond spoofs and are both absolutely hilarious.  Have you tried watching the early Bond films lately and see how racist, sexist, and utterly moronic Bond is (especially Moore).  These films basically crank those up to extremes and the guy playing OSS 117 is utterly fantastic in the role.

I watched Misery a couple nights ago and it was terrifying.  It's based off a Stephen King short story where this author crashes his car in a snow storm and is saved by his "biggest fan." He can't walk and he ends up being nursed by her at her house but it turns out that she's absolutely psycho.  Kathy Bates won an Oscar for her performance, and she's probably one of the only actresses who has won an Oscar for a horror film.

Detroit Metal City is a Japanese comedy movie about this really awkward guy who wants to be a pop-singer and instead finds himself the lead singer and guitarist of a black metal band.  Absolutely hilarious if you like zany Japanese movies.  And if you like this you might want to watch Cutie Honey which is also kind of weird and kooky.

And finally

Hansel and Gretel.  It's a Korean horror-fantasy film that has been compared continuously to Pan's Labyrinth.  In a way the comparison hurts and helps it because the movie is an adult fairy tale and does get quite dark.  However, near the end it gets a little stupid and they explain a major part of the movie and it kind of loses it's mystery which is kind of sad.  But if you can ignore that part the rest of the film is fantastic and is worth checking out.

Earl_of_slander

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #663 on: 28 Jun 2010, 08:58 »

I don't know how many of you can take some gore and gruesome visuals, but i'd recommend a dark comedy called 'Taxidermia' by the Hungarian director Gyorgi Palfi. The movie doesn't really have any plot. The tagline of the movie is 'Three stories. Three generations. Three men. One bizarre and shocking universe.' The movie begins at a Hungarian farmhouse during the World War 2. There's a soldier who humps his lieutenant's wife in a bathtub which has a pig carcass in it. The wife bears a baby boy born with a little pig tail, which the lieutenant snips as soon as he sees it. This boy grows up to be a big (heavy) speed eater. Then the movie traces what happens in the speed eater's life. The son of this speed eater becomes a taxidermist. A word of caution though- the movie is quite disturbing.

I'd recommend the book 'A canticle for Leibowitz'. It's a post-apocalyptic novel. It tells the story of how the civilization is wiped out, but tries to re-build itself again. People have developed a hatred for books and all things scholarly. Almost all the books and scholarly documents have been destroyed, save for a little cache in a monetary in a desert. The monks in the monastery have been guarding the books for generations. The book has loads of dark humor in it.

SaskiWhiteflower

• Plantmonster
« Reply #664 on: 15 Jul 2010, 14:46 »

I'd like to recommend a book (i didnt watch the movie so i cant recommend it) "Along came a Spider" by James Patterson. And why you ask?  :-o . Because its the best thriller i've read so far. It's a real pageturner. You will read it, think about it, and then read it again.
Ok...now we're ready to kill you

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #665 on: 17 Jul 2010, 07:17 »

illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

Scandanavian War Machine

• Older than Moses
  • zzzzzzzz
« Reply #666 on: 29 Jul 2010, 12:36 »

watched The Babysitters last night and it sort of blew my mind. I had never heard of it and had no idea what to expect. Suffice it to say that shit gets real.

I was going to write a brief summary of it here, but I think it's better if you know nothing about it before seeing it. All I'm gonna say is that it definitely has John Leguizamo in it, and it's definitely availble on Netflix Instant queue.

I'm like 60% certain that you won't regret watching it
Quote from: KvP
Also I would like to point out that the combination of Sailor Moon and faux-Kerouac / Sonic Youth spelling is perhaps the purest distillation of what this forum is that we have yet been presented with.

DavidGrohl

« Reply #667 on: 01 Sep 2010, 13:43 »

I don't know if this has already been recommended, because holy crap 14 pages, but;
The Dark Tower series by Stephen King.

I've liked all of his stuff that I've read, but nothing is as epic as this series. Some of the main ideas in the books are things I was thinking about when I was a little kid.
There's just such a sense of truth about it, and I can really get inside Roland's head.
It's a good series. I hope I have given a good enough reason why I think it is.

Currently on book 5.  Enjoying it so far.

HiFranc

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • On a night out, October 2013
    • My LiveJournal page
« Reply #668 on: 02 Sep 2010, 23:15 »

My other half and I recently listened to the audiobook version of Marley and Me: Funny, touching and sweet.
Francisco

Theriandros

« Reply #669 on: 24 Sep 2010, 14:10 »

New China Mieville book, The City & The City is really good. Different vibe to the Bas Lag novels, more of a existential murder mystery a la Paul Auster or something.

Is it just me, or is China Mieville really overrated? I read Perdido Street Station and it struck me as a massive mish-mash of cool steampunk-esque ideas that were thrown together to cover the fact that the plot is horribly thin, like brain-popcorn.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #670 on: 29 Sep 2010, 22:33 »

I haven't read any of his stuff yet, but for what it's worth after hearing him talk at the recent Melbourne Writers Festival I'm pretty certain he's a Fucking Awesome Dude.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #671 on: 21 Oct 2010, 16:16 »

Is it just me, or is China Mieville really overrated?

In his own words:

I’m not a leftist trying to smuggle in my evil message by the nefarious means of fantasy novels. I’m a science fiction and fantasy geek. I love this stuff. And when I write my novels, I’m not writing them to make political points. I’m writing them because I passionately love monsters and the weird and horror stories and strange situations and surrealism, and what I want to do is communicate that. But, because I come at this with a political perspective, the world that I’m creating is embedded with many of the concerns that I have... I’m trying to say I’ve invented this world that I think is really cool and I have these really big stories to tell in it and one of the ways that I find to make that interesting is to think about it politically. If you want to do that too, that’s fantastic. But if not, isn’t this a cool monster?

tl:dr? It's just you, buddy.

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #672 on: 21 Oct 2010, 20:59 »

That doesn't answer the question of whether he's a good writer, though. I'm in the middle of the City and the City at the moment, and I'm enjoying it well enough, but it's not rocking my world and there are some sentences that I think should obviously have been rewritten. On the other hand, when I heard him speak at the recent Melbourne Writers Festival as part of a panel about politics in fiction, he was absolutely outstanding and inspiring and exciting.

Tom

• Older than Moses
  • 8==D(_(_(
« Reply #673 on: 21 Oct 2010, 21:35 »

Post was directed a little more at our Libertarian in residence, Harry.

jackmort

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #674 on: 25 Oct 2010, 02:30 »

Speaking of Stephan King: I highly recommend the movie 1408 .... For starters, it's actually scary, something most horror movies have not been able to be for the last 15 or 20 years .... John Cusack is amazing

My favourite thing about the film is the way john cusack reacts to what's going on, because most people, when faced with a malevolent spirit, would shit hard, but cusack basically calls the ghost a dick and tries to kick its face :)
just when you think things are never going to get better, they suddenly get worse

hannahsaurusrex

• Took the bomp from the bompalompalomp
« Reply #675 on: 06 Nov 2010, 08:38 »

Television:
Anything with Bryan Fuller is pretty amazing
Dead Like Me- 18 year old girl becomes a Grim Reaper, awesome ideas about death and it's nature, plus razor sharp Inigo Montoya.
The Amazing Screw-On Head: Based on Mike Mignola's one shot comic, was piloted but never took off. Art is incredible and David Hyde Pierce voices EMPEROR ZOMBIE
Wonderfalls- Disaffected 20 something has inanimate objects with animal faces talk to her ("Fireflied" after 4 episodes), more girly, but nevertheless great
Tim Minear is also fantastic, they worked together on Wonderfalls
Most things Tim Minear or Bryan Fuller touch is great (First season of Heroes ring a bell?)

Film:
Jean de Florette/Manon des Sources, dir. Claude Berri. One of the most beautiful films I have ever seen, period.  The frailty of humans, the dark places in people's minds, in the backdrop of the French countryside. This movie is a poem.
Cinema Paradiso: One of the best films about the effects of film.
Truly, Madly, Deeply: A movie about dealing with loss done with love.
Brick: Film Noir modernized splendidly.
Mr. Deeds goes to Town: Not the insipid Adam Sandler version, the real one with Gary Cooper making you feel real feelings.
Singing in the Rain: I dare you not to love this movie
Speed Racer: This one gets a lot of flack, possibly because people have no sense of joy. This movie is Saturday Morning Cartoon in all of it's glory. The CGI is masterful, the races are exciting, and the movie is FUN. All the negative reviews forget that you really shouldn't take a movie that HAS A MONKEY IN THE ENSEMBLE probably isn't 12 Angry Men. (Which is also a good movie).
Scott Pilgrim vs. The World: I am really sad that Michael Cera is associated with one of my favorite films of all time, but it really doesn't matter. It's just so damn great.
Hard Candy & Sleuth (Michael Caine and Laurence Olivier): If you ever thought acting was easy, watch either of these.

Books:
Stone Butch Blues Growing up stone butch before and after Stonewall, makes you realize how terrifying our past was
Cannery Row Loneliness at its most accessible, and it's Steinbeck <3
Perfume: The Story of a Murderer A man with super-smell in 18th century France. Hatred never smelled so sweet.

I could churn them out, but I figured that's good for now.
Overheard quote: "I ain't afraid of no 'RYAN'"

smack that isaiah

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Tell me again what a monster is
    • Igor and the Whale
« Reply #676 on: 06 Nov 2010, 09:11 »

I noticed in your Bryan Fuller love you didn't mention Pushing Daisies.  Do you not know of that amazing series?  Or did you not prefer it?
Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter

hannahsaurusrex

• Took the bomp from the bompalompalomp
« Reply #677 on: 06 Nov 2010, 13:51 »

I know of Pushing Daisies, I've seen a couple of episodes, but I honestly can't recommend something I haven't followed through with.

Also, with the episodes I was annoyed with the females in the cast.
Overheard quote: "I ain't afraid of no 'RYAN'"

Vuk

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #678 on: 25 Nov 2010, 10:28 »

Pushing Daisies is awesome and fun as hell, but it was cancelled at the worst possible time. Cutest show ever, though.

doombilly

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #679 on: 27 Nov 2010, 12:42 »

illicitizen.bandcamp.com
last.fm/user/doombilly

The Seldom Killer

• Only pretending to work
  • More witless shite ----->
« Reply #680 on: 05 Dec 2010, 04:45 »

Just worked my way through the first TPB of Elephantmen (Starkings/Moritat/Others). I'll admit that I originally bought it for the Hippo but have really loved it. It's a Bladerunner style human morality tale but worked on a far broader scale.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
« Reply #681 on: 05 Dec 2010, 22:10 »

To be fair, that is a recommendation.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Nodaisho

« Reply #682 on: 06 Dec 2010, 04:40 »

Is it just me, or is there no way to report a post on this forum? I have looked the past couple times I saw a spambot ad, but I couldn't find it.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #683 on: 06 Dec 2010, 04:53 »

I can tell you that my email is being flooded daily with a gazillion reported posts.

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #684 on: 06 Dec 2010, 04:53 »

Well, I mean, like, 6-12 a day maybe.

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #685 on: 06 Dec 2010, 04:55 »

If anyone's wondering what I'm talking about at the dawn of this new page - it's ocelots, of course. Always ocelots. 6-12 ocelots a day do I spy down by the Merri Creek.

Nodaisho

« Reply #686 on: 07 Dec 2010, 07:36 »

Well then where is the report button? I seriously don't see it.
I took a duck in the face at two hundred and fifty knots

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #687 on: 07 Dec 2010, 17:18 »

It's not a button as such, it's a little link at the bottom right of every post that says "Report to moderator".

Joseph

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #688 on: 07 Dec 2010, 20:29 »

Yeah, I don't have that option.

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #689 on: 07 Dec 2010, 20:39 »

Yeah, it seems to be missing in this sub-forum, and in at least one other as well.
Twitch I play games and hang out with friends.

benji

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #690 on: 08 Dec 2010, 09:02 »

it's missing from here, DRAW, and MAKE.
This signature is intentionally left blank.

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #691 on: 08 Dec 2010, 19:47 »

I see it everywhere I turn. Maybe I've got some special ModView thing going on - but why would I have a special option to report a post to myself? That doesn't make sense!

Maybe your computers are just broken. Maybe your internet is broken.

The Seldom Killer

« Reply #692 on: 09 Dec 2010, 05:45 »

My interwebs are just fine and I don't have one either. I am lowly new scum though. Screenprint of it not being there available on request.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #693 on: 11 Dec 2010, 19:24 »

watched the princess and the frog, was way better than the proposal.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Buttfranklin

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • bruce
« Reply #694 on: 11 Dec 2010, 19:33 »

I've heard The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is most excellent.  Without spoiler details, anyone else think so?  It just looks like another thriller/mystery best seller to me.  I'm referring to the book, btw.
I tried to romance a lady photographer once. But it didn't work out because I could never understand about f-spots.

Inlander

• coprophage
« Reply #695 on: 11 Dec 2010, 19:42 »

It's pretty much just another thriller/mystery best seller.

We did a whole thread about how average it is here: http://forums.questionablecontent.net/index.php/topic,24708.0.html

Buttfranklin

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • bruce
« Reply #696 on: 11 Dec 2010, 19:53 »

Thanks!  I'll look that over.
I tried to romance a lady photographer once. But it didn't work out because I could never understand about f-spots.

The Seldom Killer

« Reply #697 on: 13 Dec 2010, 05:43 »

I'm quite enjoying Her Fearful Symmetry - Audrey Niffenegger.

I'm just wondering if anyone has seen the film of The Time Traveller's Wife and whether it is a) a good film and b) comparable to the book?

horsefish

• Emoticontraindication
  • Guybrarian
« Reply #698 on: 22 Jan 2011, 09:09 »

I'm just wondering if anyone has seen the film of The Time Traveller's Wife and whether it is a) a good film and b) comparable to the book?

I loved the book; I liked the movie.  Like any movie from a book, lots of stuff gets left out.  I'm not sure if the movie would have made any sense at all had I not read the book; I had the same feeling about The Lovely Bones
The first rule of Book Club is you do not talk about Book Club.

venicebeach

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #699 on: 23 Jan 2011, 15:50 »

I reommend books from Charles Bukowski and (The Alchemist from Paulo Coehlo)

Great writers, great books!
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16   Go Up