THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 14:24
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16   Go Down

Author Topic: Recommendations!  (Read 430551 times)

Ikrik

• Asleep in the boner patch
Re: Recommendations!
« Reply #700 on: 12 Feb 2011, 21:53 »

I am going to make a recommendation.  Do not watch Faster, that movie with The Rock in it.  It's garbage and I am filled with vitriol against it.  It was a waste of an hour and a half of my life.  I can't say a single good thing about this film, everything about it is either stupid, absurd, or incompetent. 

Stephquiem

• Plantmonster
    • Tumblr
« Reply #701 on: 16 Feb 2011, 09:18 »

I'm quite enjoying Her Fearful Symmetry - Audrey Niffenegger.

I'm just wondering if anyone has seen the film of The Time Traveller's Wife and whether it is a) a good film and b) comparable to the book?

I agree with horsefish. The book was great. I really hated the movie, though. That might be because I enjoyed the book so much, but I do think they left too much out of the movie. A big part of what I enjoyed about the book were the secondary characters--most of whom were left out. I thought it lost a lot without them. Also, some of their casting choices were... strange, I thought.
Insert sarcasm here.

horsefish

• Emoticontraindication
  • Guybrarian
« Reply #702 on: 16 Feb 2011, 21:20 »

Gomez (in the book) was one of the most entertaining characters I had come across in years.  I was really happy to see Ron Livingston cast in the role, being a fan of Office Space (who isn't?), but when I saw the movie, Gomez was kind of meh.  Maybe not enough screen time.
The first rule of Book Club is you do not talk about Book Club.

typoguy

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #703 on: 28 Apr 2011, 00:59 »

Onl yon the third episode so far but Game of Thrones on HBO is quickly becoming my new favorite shows.  Pretty much it about grabs for power between 7 fictional kingdomes.  Much like meieval England, but with better characters.  and it may or may not contain dragons later.  And as we all know everything is better when you add dragons.  Well except for Beowulf that movie was a shit factory, the only good thing about that movie was the theatre had really good popcorn

Border Reiver

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Yes, I painted this.
    • The Pet Patch
« Reply #704 on: 02 May 2011, 11:02 »

But the legend of Beowulf was excellent - and it had dragons.
"It's a futile gesture that my sense of right and wrong tells me I should make." Is It Cold Here, 19 Mar 2013, 02:12

Thiefree

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • mostly gone
    • Thiefree.net
« Reply #705 on: 26 May 2011, 16:52 »

Onl yon the third episode so far but Game of Thrones on HBO is quickly becoming my new favorite shows.  Pretty much it about grabs for power between 7 fictional kingdomes.  Much like meieval England, but with better characters.  and it may or may not contain dragons later.  And as we all know everything is better when you add dragons.  Well except for Beowulf that movie was a shit factory, the only good thing about that movie was the theatre had really good popcorn

Ah, I'll lend my support to this recommendation. Game of Thrones has been truly excellent thus far! Sean Bean kicks ass (because that's what Sean Bean does; I mean in LotR he was a human pincushion and still fuckin' going), and there are dire wolves, gripping plots, fascinating characters, lots o' boobage, and a couple of characters who take a level in badass every damn time we see them.

Check it the hell out.

You Are Brahman!

• Plantmonster
    • Rumbelow
« Reply #706 on: 07 Jun 2011, 12:59 »

But the legend of Beowulf was excellent - and it had dragons.
I just finished Tolkien's The Silmarillion and it also had dragons and was pretty darn epic.  If you like dragons and want to get involved in an entire new cosmology, I recommend The often underappreciated Silmarillion.

IMMANotListening

• Emoticontraindication
  • OHAI
« Reply #707 on: 12 Jul 2011, 05:27 »

When you tie in altogether the Silmarillion with the Hobbit, and the Lord of the Rings, you realize that there aren't many authors like Tolkien who would put even half the amount of effort and heart he did for his work.

I highly recommend that if you liked the ASOIAF/Game of Thrones, you would really like The Once and Future King. It is an Arthurian fantasy novel but it really is T.H White's medium to show his own personal view of the ideal society. But don't let that deter you. It does not have the same romanticism of Arthurian tales but it is absolutely smashing and is a fantastic read.
Heaven and Hell suppose two distinct species of men, the good and the bad/But the greatest part of mankind float betwixt vice and virtue." - David Hume

dr. nervioso

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • No more Mr. Nice Bitch
« Reply #708 on: 17 Oct 2011, 17:24 »

Does anyone have a good suspense/drama novel to recommend to me? The book I got about zombies and unicorns isn't as awesome as I thought it would be
this forum is slowly decomposing into butts and kitties

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #709 on: 02 Nov 2011, 10:00 »

Free ebooks, yay: I've been reading Thus Spoke Zarathustra. I thought I knew what it meant to have an ideology, but oh how I was wrong.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Mister D Nomms

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Middle-of-the-Road Conservative
    • My Newgrounds Audio
« Reply #710 on: 20 Jan 2012, 22:07 »

i don't think you can be wrong about something so personal.
Voluntarily banned from DISCUSS.

Listen to my music. http://wolfgangruck.newgrounds.com/audio/

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #711 on: 24 Jan 2012, 04:11 »

Oh, but you can. I didn't think there was much of a difference between an ideology and a set of opinions, but there is. Everyone has opinions, but I think few people have an ideology.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Mister D Nomms

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Middle-of-the-Road Conservative
    • My Newgrounds Audio
« Reply #712 on: 24 Jan 2012, 10:03 »

I was wrong.
Voluntarily banned from DISCUSS.

Listen to my music. http://wolfgangruck.newgrounds.com/audio/

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #713 on: 24 Jan 2012, 12:11 »

I reommend books from Charles Bukowski

Bukowski is my favorite writer atm.... I'm actually reading a book with lots of short stories.
Erections, Ejaculations, Exhibitions and General Tales of Ordinary Madness

It's awesome... I really like the guy. It's down to earth stuff, like if I was just talking to him in a bar. It's incredibly filthy though, I can understand if some people don't dig that but I just love it.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #714 on: 03 Feb 2012, 04:24 »

Repo! The Genetic Opera. Well, watch this first. You like that clip, watch the film. Don't be put off because Paris Hilton's in it, she only has a small part. Repo! has kickass music and just looks gorgeous.

Multiple edits. Can't write today.

DrPhibes

• FIGHT YOU
  • Hai. Zorro here. Any CC?
« Reply #715 on: 06 Mar 2012, 14:42 »

The flashbulb.
Before you go look it up, it has new album out with 25 songs, 75 minutes by which you can make a Air, Olafur arnalds and an electronic IDM EP.

If you are not convinced by the following album promo video, I don't know what will. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cu2Rplh2I_w

Songs here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsAc9zjsI9g

riccostar

• FIGHT YOU
  • Goddamned stoner cat.
« Reply #716 on: 12 Nov 2012, 18:23 »

This may seem pop teenagery but I enjoyed reading John Green's works.  For being written in such straight prose I believe they were well written and touching.  I read both Looking for Alaska and The Fault in our Stars after having them recommended to me by friends. 
if it's probable that you're going to "die trying"
you might want to rethink your plan...

Molosus

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #717 on: 21 Nov 2012, 14:26 »

Stella B and the Busted League is a web series on youtube about life in fandom and relationships... seems likely that a person who is a fan of QC would also dig that.
"I never learned from a man who agreed with me."~Robert A. Heinlein

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #718 on: 26 Nov 2012, 04:29 »

Wanted to show this but wasn't sure where so its going here. Found this while doing research on advertising. The trailer for Psycho:

Bev

• Balloon animal serial killer
    • Bevs Bollocks
« Reply #719 on: 02 Dec 2012, 19:48 »

Nothing.

It's a little hard to find but it's a great comedy from the director of Cube and Splice. Basically it's about 2 guys whose lives are so shit they basically wish everything away. All that is left is them, thier house and an endless white void. What they do with this is the really funny part as they fuck around, explore and tear thier friendship apart. It's great :)

riccostar

• FIGHT YOU
  • Goddamned stoner cat.
« Reply #720 on: 04 Dec 2012, 14:54 »

Wanted to show this but wasn't sure where so its going here. Found this while doing research on advertising. The trailer for Psycho:

I really want to watch the movie now, they way he executed that spiked my curiosity stupendously.
if it's probable that you're going to "die trying"
you might want to rethink your plan...

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #721 on: 31 Dec 2012, 16:08 »

YOU HAVEN'T SEEN PSYCHO?!?

0_o

o_0

Do so.  Don't put it off.  Make it a new year's resolution. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #722 on: 01 Jan 2013, 03:16 »

Don't put it off, but do make it a new year's resolution? Isn't that kind of an oxymoron?
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #723 on: 01 Jan 2013, 07:03 »

Oh, yeah.  Sorry. 

Just watch it, m'kay?

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #724 on: 01 Jan 2013, 15:46 »

I haven't seen it either but I bought it for my boyfriend for Christmas. Gonna get watched.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #725 on: 01 Jan 2013, 16:26 »

So I just rewatched the trailer posted up there.  Forgot how funny it was.  That man was a genius. 

By the way, the little thing at the end of the trailer's true - during the first run of the movie, latecomers wouldn't be seated. 

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #726 on: 12 Jan 2013, 00:03 »

So, I followed a very old link from a very old page to a webcomic that's been finished for about 6 years, called Bruno.  It ran from 1996(!) to 2007, eleven years, six days a week.

I read the first year that evening.  I've read three more in the two days since then.  I'm not getting any work done...

The artwork is fantastic, right from the beginning.  Some of the characters are (artistically) caricatures, but they are all witty, mostly likeable people that remind you of someone you know.  The central figure, despite the name, is a young woman - very intelligent, full of angst, and from what I've seen so far, probably bipolar.  The comic revolves around her, her experiences, and the people she meets/lives with/loves/misses over the years.  It also is a real-time comic, so every halloween there's a costume party, the seasons change, etc. 

If you like smart banter (this is the QC forum, isn't it?) You'll love Bruno. 

The two links I'm providing are the original homepage, from which you can access the main archives, and another page I found is where the author (Chris Baldwin) is re-running the strip.  He's about 2 1/2 years into it, so there's another good 8 years or so to go... one advantage is that he's cleaning up the images as he goes along. 

More people should know about this.  Give it a look! 

Emmyisnotcool

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #727 on: 01 Feb 2013, 19:06 »

So I recently played "Spec Ops: The Line" and it really fucked with my head. But in a good way that shows that the medium is maybe maturing just a little bit.

Without spoiling the whole thing, it was basically advertised as another Call of Duty clone but it ended up being so much more than that. It's very reminiscent of "Apocolypse Now," only there is an extra, major layer of satire of military COD-type games, but also of gaming in general and what the culture thinks of as "heroism."

The gameplay is really nothing to write home about, but that ends up playing into the game's narrative. The actual gameplay isn't bad per se, it's just nothing special. But that's not really the reason that you keep playing. It's the way that the story subverts stereotypes and gamer expectations.

It is also very disturbing and even though I was sure that I would be too jaded for the game to have an impact on me, it did really mess with my head and it stayed in my head for a long time after I played it. Without spoiling it, it gets very meta about half way into the game.

I can't really adequately talk about the game without spoiling it because what makes it great are the narrative elements of it. But it is definitely worth playing if you want to see something new and innovative in how games handle story telling.

ackblom12

« Reply #728 on: 02 Feb 2013, 01:52 »

Spec Ops is a fantastic deconstruction and satire of the genre and our culture of hero worship. You should definitely come join us in CLICK!. Join the NERDS.

GarandMarine

• Awakened
  • Kawaii in the streets, Senpai in the sheets
« Reply #729 on: 02 Apr 2013, 20:01 »

Spec Ops is a fantastic deconstruction and satire of the genre and our culture of hero worship. You should definitely come join us in CLICK!. Join the NERDS.

OR you could just read Heart of Darkness, or watch Apocalypse Now, cause it's the same thing. Not saying it's not good, just throwing that out there.

Recommendation of the now: Bodacious Space Pirates, winner of my prestigious 2012 "Anime that Badly Needs a Rename" award is a fairly awesome anime about space, and pirates. Really if you need much more then that you're beyond help. Also the OP features the unholy merging of an idol group and a former guitarist from Megadeth which is really worth a listen just for the spectacle http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZmNRLvycNQ.
« Last Edit: 02 Apr 2013, 21:53 by GarandMarine »
I built the walls that make my life a prison, I built them all and cannot be forgiven... ...Sold my soul to carry your vendetta, So let me go before you can regret it, You've made your choice and now it's come to this, But that's price you pay when you're a monster with no name.

ackblom12

« Reply #730 on: 03 Apr 2013, 02:24 »

Yes, because every form of media is the exact same and doesn't present things in different context that appeals to different kinds of people and appeals to different tastes due to any number of reasons such as generational and experience differences while consuming the media.

mtmerrick

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #731 on: 03 Apr 2013, 02:33 »

One of my favorite book series of all time is The Bartimaeus Trilogy. Funny as hell, all with a detailed, awesome, and surprisingly serious storyline. Go read it.

(before you start, keep in mind it's set in its own world. It's not actually at in ours, like it may seem for a decent amount of the first book.)

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #732 on: 03 Apr 2013, 11:59 »

Aww, you just took away the fun of realization. 

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #733 on: 29 Apr 2013, 20:01 »

so the Bureau: XCOM declassified has me intrigued.  Any good 50s era x-files/Men in black kind of books?  Or should I attempt my life long dream of writing a novel?
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

blacksinow

• Curry sauce
« Reply #734 on: 21 Dec 2013, 04:26 »

If you love 80's-syled anime, then you MUST watch Streets of Fire. It was instrumental in effecting the way anime such as Bubblegum Crisis (not 2040) and Megazone 23 came to be.

Wervelf

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #735 on: 07 Mar 2014, 23:45 »

I will suggest watching Orange is the New Black : Its based on prison life of women. How they live their everyday life and what problems they have to go through. By they way i have put it it may sound boring as i am not that good in explaining but try watching a trailer of this series its really good.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #736 on: 13 May 2014, 10:04 »

The Kimberly Story A school teacher telling a really interesting, creepy and "supposedly true" story.

Barmymoo

• Mentat
« Reply #737 on: 28 May 2014, 16:28 »

I would suggest reading Orange is the New Black, as it is the memoir of a woman who actually was in prison rather than a dramatised series inspired by that memoir. The show is entertaining and not outrageously far off in my limited experience of USA prisons, but the book is far better. I actually gave my copy to a girl on the train who was expressing rather ill-informed views of prison, so I need to buy a new one.
There's this really handy "other thing" I'm going to write as a footnote to my abstract that I can probably explore these issues in. I think I'll call it my "dissertation."

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #738 on: 15 Jun 2014, 16:31 »

Not sure if this has been posted yet

D-alx

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #739 on: 13 Jul 2014, 10:31 »

Not sure if this has been posted yet

Man, I've finished a whole bunch of the fiction and sci-fi books. (Feist, Salvatore, Eddings, George Martin, Heinlein, LeGuinn

Still can't believe they missed out L.E. Modesitt - his books are abstract but good, I keep learning something new everytime I re-read his books.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #740 on: 22 Jul 2014, 05:37 »

Hello!

I'd like some recommendations for children's books in english, for a tiny person how is three, soon to be four. He's also dutch. He's interested.

Seriously, we're not pushing him.

Anyway, anyone know any good titles?
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #741 on: 22 Jul 2014, 06:19 »

The Tiger Who Came To Tea
Have You Seen My Hat? (I think it's called)

Joke answer:
(click to show/hide)
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #742 on: 22 Jul 2014, 07:53 »

Don't need that last item. He sleeps just fine, thank you very much. Thank you for the others. I'll check.
My Art.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #743 on: 22 Jul 2014, 12:28 »

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #744 on: 22 Jul 2014, 14:06 »

Hmm, there's always "Amphigorey", which is a collection of 15 of Edward Gorey's children's books.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

ev4n

• Scrabble hacker
  • Shameless Shamy Shipper
« Reply #745 on: 29 Jul 2014, 06:26 »

Hello!

I'd like some recommendations for children's books in english, for a tiny person how is three, soon to be four. He's also dutch. He's interested.

Poems by Shel Silverstein come highly recommended.  My kids always loved Smart (though knowing american coinage helps) and Mr Moody

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    • Me.
« Reply #746 on: 30 Jul 2014, 07:37 »

Written down and appreciated!
My Art.

The Seldom Killer

• Only pretending to work
  • More witless shite ----->
« Reply #747 on: 07 Aug 2014, 12:27 »

I'm sure I've recommended this before but I can't help but think it's worth mentioning again.

Utopia

If you miss that bit of Game of Thrones where the life expectancy of any character simply isn't guaranteed, Utopia
If you miss that bit of Game of Thrones that has Ygritte in it, Utopia
If you enjoy a well crafted bit of conspiracy theory, Utopia
If you like slowly emerging character development without too much a distracting amount of exposition, Utopia
If you are entertained by brilliant, experimental and unfettered British Drama, Utopia

Basically watch this, it's awesome and the theme music is a little addictive too.

Utopia

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000
« Reply #748 on: 22 Oct 2014, 20:26 »

Hello!

Two by Quint Buchholz: "Sleep Well, Little Bear," and "The Collector of Moments." The stories (especially the latter) are great, and the illustrations (again, especially the latter) are amazing. Anything by William Joyce, but especially his older stuff. Raymond Briggs ("The Man" is a personal favorite). David Wiesner's stuff is also fun -- some of it, like "Tuesday" and "Sector 7," is wordless, which lets you and your little person decide where the story goes.
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

Dalillama

• Furry furrier
  • Schmott Guy
    • LDOriginals: GLBT friendly costumes, sweets, and more
« Reply #749 on: 16 Feb 2015, 14:03 »

Daniel Pinkwater's Tooth Gnasher Superflash, The Big Orange Splot, The Wuggie Norple Story, and pretty much anything else.  A lot of his books are a little older than the kid (mostly aimed at ~7-12 year olds), but those ones are younger.
My husband makes cool clothes, costumes and candy. 10% off all candies and stuffed animals until Valentines.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16   Go Up