THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 08:16
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hands Should be replaced with chainsaws.  (Read 13251 times)

*insert silly name here*

Hands Should be replaced with chainsaws.
« on: 21 Oct 2005, 18:41 »

Crapski,

I do alot of cartooning, nothing I really intend to publish, but I try and make it look nice, and as much as I do it, I can NEVER manage to draw hands without some degree of awkwardness in appearance.

Anyone have any Tips/tricks, or just want to expess your outrage that human have hand as opposed to somethign easier to draw (like chainsaws or even battleaxes)?

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
« Reply #1 on: 21 Oct 2005, 23:24 »

Honestly the only trick to drawing hands is to observe your own and TAKE YOUR TIME drawing them. The slower you draw a hand, the better it will end up looking.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

Thalass

« Reply #2 on: 22 Oct 2005, 03:29 »

I've found that drawing the hand as a mitten (ie: the fingers all joined together, thumb by itself) helps me get the basic pose for the hand. Then I just have to divide the fingers up. And, as Jeph said: stare at your hand for a while. Observe your hand in that pose, though it is hard when you're looking at it from your angle. If someone is willing to be a hand model (that sounds... kinkeh) it'd probably make it easier.

Bunnyman

« Reply #3 on: 22 Oct 2005, 13:57 »

If one is willing to throw money at the problem...

One of these babies is nice.

And a good anatomy book is a great resource.

I use
http://www.powells.com/biblio/17-0823015513-0

But, yes, as other posters have noted, look at your hands carefully and take your time.  Hands are bloody tricky, they are.

*insert silly name here*

« Reply #4 on: 22 Oct 2005, 14:38 »

Or I could just pay a trip to the morgue and pick up an even more realistic model for cheap.

GebStar

• Furry furrier
« Reply #5 on: 23 Oct 2005, 04:34 »

Remember to keep it in glad wrap, keeps it fresh.
Quote from: Trollstormur
that slogan is a good slogan. so good, in fact, I think it should be applied to other things. like, "there's no wrong way to hit your spouse." or "there's no wrong way to commit nonconsentual sodomy."

Thalass

« Reply #6 on: 25 Oct 2005, 17:13 »

Quote from: Bunnyman
If one is willing to throw money at the problem...

One of these babies is nice.

And a good anatomy book is a great resource.

I use
http://www.powells.com/biblio/17-0823015513-0

But, yes, as other posters have noted, look at your hands carefully and take your time.  Hands are bloody tricky, they are.

that looks like the magic wishing monkey paw from the simpsons!

Adam Murray

« Reply #7 on: 28 Oct 2005, 02:12 »

The only thing i can add is just to draw from life. draw your hands in the mirror, draw your friends holding different things in their hands, all that jazz.

Practice, practice, practice man.  If this crap was easy, everyone would be doing it.  Just work hard, and it will pay off.

Also, takling a peek at an anatomy book wouldn't hurt either.  Sometimes knowing how things work gives us a better, more grounded understanding of what we're drawing.

Seriously though, just pester your friends a family to hold stuff (everything from toy guns to cups to cigarettes) and you'll be infinitely more comfortable drawing hands in no time

Mollinda

« Reply #8 on: 29 Oct 2005, 11:34 »

You see I can draw a hand realistically. I am the bitch at hands. My aunt has a piece of art I did of hands to show the aging process on her mantlepiece.

But on cartoons? They infuriate me. I am getting better though.
Pages: [1]   Go Up