Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wilco  (Read 6168 times)

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
Wilco
« on: 24 Oct 2005, 16:14 »

So, I've liked a few Wilco tracks for a while - I bought a Q magazine that had a live version of At Least That's What You Said on a free CD - it was amazing, and I thought wow that's pretty good...and listened to it a bit more and pretty much forgot about it.

Then this afternoon I went on a spending spree in my local CD shop and found A Ghost Is Born, the special edition no less, for a mere £5. I snapped it up and brought it home and...

...it's pretty weird, innit? Mostly in a good way. I love how the second to last track is a quarter of an hour and then the last one is about two minutes long.

Crazy British country...
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
Re: Wilco
« Reply #1 on: 24 Oct 2005, 16:21 »

Quote from: DynamiteKid
Crazy British country...

Yguazeesh what?!

EDIT: And for something more constructive, I've never really got into Wilco.  I'm not that big a fan of Jeff Tweedy's voice.  I adore Uncle Tupelo, however.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
Re: Wilco
« Reply #2 on: 24 Oct 2005, 16:21 »

Quote from: Inlander
Quote from: DynamiteKid
Crazy British country...

Yguazeesh what?!

Some of Wilco sounds a little bit alt-countryish, and it's not often that genre comes out of Britain.

At least I think they're British?

edit: Hell I even found the CD labelled 'Country/Americana.'

Stifled Dreams

Wilco
« Reply #3 on: 24 Oct 2005, 16:22 »

They're from Chicago :)

(So I suppose you're right, that type of music doesn't often come out of Britain...)

EDIT: Also for more constructive, I love Wilco. A lot. I don't know why, but a lot of Wilco songs just make me pretty happy. Or pretty sad. They make me more emotional, anyways. I'd really like to see them live some day.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
Wilco
« Reply #4 on: 24 Oct 2005, 16:23 »

Quote from: Stifled Dreams

Really? Shows what I know.

They're SLIGHTLY less weird than I thought then.

Boy is my face red ;-)

Stifled Dreams

Wilco
« Reply #5 on: 24 Oct 2005, 16:25 »

No problem, don't worry about it! My parents always ask me, "Uh is this band British?" and the answer is usually, "no, they're from Chicago."

But actually, for the record, there is a picture of a building from Chicago (forget which one) on the cover of Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and there is a song called "Via Chicago."

More editing madness!: Yay, wikipedia!
Quote from: Wikipedia
The building on the cover is Bertrand Goldberg's Marina City (a condominium built in 1964, currently hosting the House of Blues at the ground level) in Chicago near the Loop.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
Wilco
« Reply #6 on: 24 Oct 2005, 16:37 »

Well either way, A Ghost Is Born is an EXCELLENT record, it really is. And surprising how they mix up the odd genre, I think I smell a bit of New Order in Kidsmoke...

Micolithe

Wilco
« Reply #7 on: 24 Oct 2005, 16:49 »

My sister mistook Kamera for a Beck song the first time she heard it.

Skibas_clavicle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Mo' money, mo' problem.
Wilco
« Reply #8 on: 24 Oct 2005, 17:46 »

I love bands from Chicago, they know how to kick it there. Makes me kinda want to live there....

Anywho, Wilco's awesome, as is Uncle Tupelo. The album A.M. is a definate blend of both of them and is one of my favourite albums of all times. Yankee Hotel Foxtrot's up there too. Radio Cure = so pretty. Jeff Tweedy always sounds like he's desperate and in pain. That's what I love about his voice.
I like the way you work it.

decklin

Wilco
« Reply #9 on: 24 Oct 2005, 18:52 »

This has NOTHING to do with Wilco, so feel free to shoot me for being off-topic, but the latest XLR8R has a nice buncha features on Chicago and the musical scene there. Being XLR8R, it tilts a bit electronic, but you know they all secretly have a big hardon for Jim O'Rourke. (see! back on topic.)

sjbrot

Wilco
« Reply #10 on: 24 Oct 2005, 21:19 »

The whole Chicago thing reminded me of the Burn to Shine series that I heard about a while back. It's where they take a house that is about to be demolished and have various bands from around the area perform in it.

The Chicago one features Wilco, Shellac, Tortoise, the Ponys, and others. Very cool.

EDIT: "Hummingbird" is a near-perfect musical gem.

Borondir

• Furry furrier
    • My Last.Fm
Wilco
« Reply #11 on: 24 Oct 2005, 22:56 »

First off, on topic, yes Wilco is sweet.

Now for funness relating to Wilco and the Chicago scene. A week ago a friend of mine and I went to the Decemberists show at the Metro.  We went with his older brother, who graduated from the same school we're at.  When he was a freshman 10 years ago, he saw Son Volt at the Metro. In October.

While we were standing in line we talked about Uncle Tupelo and how Wilco and Son Volt both formed out of its ashes.  And how cool the Chicago scene (which I'm new to) is.

SeanBateman

Wilco
« Reply #12 on: 25 Oct 2005, 00:14 »

I can monolouge about wilco if you want. They are, however, my 100% favorite band in every way.
Yankee Hotel Foxtrot OWNS A Ghost is Born though. Buy it ASAP.

La Creme

Wilco
« Reply #13 on: 25 Oct 2005, 00:27 »

It is true.

"Poor Places" is just about the best song of all time.

Valrus

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • moo hoo ha ha
Wilco
« Reply #14 on: 25 Oct 2005, 05:03 »

Quote from: sjbrot
EDIT: "Hummingbird" is a near-perfect musical gem.

Ah, someone else who appreciates "Hummingbird" for the brilliance it is. Catchy, great lyrics, fantastic chord progression, and what sounds like it might be a kazoo at the end. I honestly think it might be my favorite Wilco song, although "Poor Places" is really awesome too. As is "I Am Trying To Break Your Heart."
Quote from: Johnny C
Whatever you give up for Lent, it better not be your day job.

Stifled Dreams

Wilco
« Reply #15 on: 25 Oct 2005, 15:58 »

For an assignment in music last year, we had to bring in a song we liked so the class could listen to it. And eventually count the instruments that we could hear... I learned absolutely nothing in music that year. Anyways, I was like, "Well! I think I'll bring in Hummingbird, because it is really likeable!" I wish there was a way to duplicate the expressions of my classmates as they listened to it - around the room, there were a million, "Burn! This sounds like country a little bit!"

Although I was mortified at the time, I eventually realized that they all just had bad taste in music. That was kind of a turning point in my life. I stopped caring. Because seriously, who in their right mind doesn't love that song? Although Valrus is quite correct in naming two other songs fantastic Wilco songs.

There are so many things for me to say about Wilco. Anyone else have the Wilco book?

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
Wilco
« Reply #16 on: 25 Oct 2005, 16:46 »

Because seriously, who in there right mind doesn't love that song?

Almost certainly me. I'll tell you for certain when my sounds working properly again.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Merkava

Wilco
« Reply #17 on: 25 Oct 2005, 16:53 »

Quote from: Skibas_clavicle

I love bands from Chicago, they know how to kick it there. Makes me kinda want to live there....

Anywho, Wilco's awesome, as is Uncle Tupelo. The album A.M. is a definate blend of both of them and is one of my favourite albums of all times. Yankee Hotel Foxtrot's up there too. Radio Cure = so pretty. Jeff Tweedy always sounds like he's desperate and in pain. That's what I love about his voice.

I was BORN there. Chicago rules. Mabe with the cold, windy weather, they have nothing else to do but lock themselves up and either rock out (The Ponys) or make wierd music (Wilco).

Wilco's pretty good. I love Being There and Summerteeth and am warming up to Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, but A Ghost is Born (my first Wilco record) is ghastly. I'm...not a big fan of that record. Way too long-winded, IMO, and the actual songs that are there aren't even that great. Pretty yawntabulous.

Stifled Dreams

Wilco
« Reply #18 on: 25 Oct 2005, 17:34 »

Quote from: KharBevNor
Almost certainly me. I'll tell you for certain when my sounds working properly again.

You made me realize I spelt "their" wrong. Argh, I hate that, and I feel stupid.

EDIT: Man, I re-read this and my logic seemed pretty all over the place, so I'm trying again. What I'm basically trying to say is that, sorry, Khar, I still think you are in your right mind. I just was thinking that it is a pretty appealing song. I know lots of people with different tastes that don't like the same type of music that I like, but most of those people have at least listened to songs fully before they told me what they didn't like. It just bothered me that nobody in my class even listened (they all talked during the song).

Did that make any sense at all?

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
Wilco
« Reply #19 on: 25 Oct 2005, 18:09 »

Muchos sense!

I just have this thing about people making sweeping statements about what music people should like like that.

'Cos I mean, it's obvious to me that if you don't like 'Huldrafolk' by Wyrd or 'In the Kingdom of Burning Crucifixions' by Xasthur you're insane in the membrane. If ya see what I mean.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Stifled Dreams

Wilco
« Reply #20 on: 25 Oct 2005, 18:14 »

Yeah, I admit that it was wrong to make a generalization, and I'll watch out for that in the future. Thanks for understanding, yay!

Anyways, back to the topic of this thread. Anyone have live Wilco experiences they'd like to share or something?

Crosseyedstranger

Wilco
« Reply #21 on: 25 Oct 2005, 18:47 »

I have a review of one of theirr concerts I wrote if you'd like to see it.

Skibas_clavicle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Mo' money, mo' problem.
Wilco
« Reply #22 on: 25 Oct 2005, 21:09 »

Quote from: Merkava
I was BORN there. Chicago rules. Mabe with the cold, windy weather, they have nothing else to do but lock themselves up and either rock out (The Ponys) or make wierd music (Wilco).

Wilco's pretty good. I love Being There and Summerteeth

Don't foget all the brilliant punk bands who sprung out of Chicago like Alkaline Trio, The Lawrence Arms, The Ghost and Duvall. Beauty.

Also, to stay on topic Being There>Summerteeth!
I like the way you work it.

Red House Painters

Wilco
« Reply #23 on: 03 Nov 2005, 17:30 »

Ah, Wilco.

As far as I'm concerned, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot is the best album Wilco has and will ever release, with Summerteeth taking close 2nd.  I like A Ghost Is Born, but it can't touch either YHF or Summerteeth.

I saw them live this past summer, and while they played a great show and it was a lot of fun, I would have rather seen them before Ghost came out, or even before YHF.  They only played two tracks from Summerteeth, which was dissapointing.

They cancelled the live DVD and are working on their next album.  My guess is they'll go more and more "experimental" like they did with Ghost.  Ah, well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up