THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 02:24
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Topher Grace as Venom  (Read 13987 times)

Sideways

Topher Grace as Venom
« on: 24 Oct 2005, 16:36 »

Maybe this has already been done, if so; I apologize.  I only just found out about this.  The last time I checked on info for Spiderman 3, I read that Thomas Hayden Church and Topher Grace had both been signed, but no official word was uttered on which characters they would be playing.

After checking IMDB.com I found that Grace is officially being cast as Venom.

I could see how Church would make a good Sandman (official casting info on that found here) but I thought he would've made a better Eddie Brock.

I cannot, no matter how hard I try, picture Topher Grace as Eddie Brock.

Thoughts?

JLM

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
Topher Grace as Venom
« Reply #1 on: 24 Oct 2005, 17:10 »

I couldn't picture Tobey Maguire as Peter Parker either, but he pulls it off alright.  Since Venom is going to have to be CGI anyways I don't think it'll be too bad.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
Topher Grace as Venom
« Reply #2 on: 24 Oct 2005, 19:38 »

The movies have so far won my favor and it seems to me that they have chosen some pretty strange actors and actresses.  I think the only way I could pass judgement is to see it in theaters.

thew

Topher Grace as Venom
« Reply #3 on: 24 Oct 2005, 19:51 »

My guess is, that instead of a hulking monster, they're treating Venom like a Bizarro-Spidey in which case Topher is perfect since he could have been Spidey in the first place.

ImRonBurgundy?

• Bling blang blong blung
  • "That's all," he added.
Topher Grace as Venom
« Reply #4 on: 24 Oct 2005, 23:31 »

i think Topher Grace would have made a better Spidey, actually.  he'd definitely be able to pull off the snarky, smartass side of him better.

that is, if the screenwriters would maybe write him some actual fucking JOKES.
You just came back to shit in my heart, didn't you Ryan?

Daniel

Topher Grace as Venom
« Reply #5 on: 25 Oct 2005, 00:21 »

Quote from: ImRonBurgundy?

that is, if the screenwriters would maybe write him some actual fucking JOKES.

That would be pretty sweet, eh.

I'm not feeling much excitement about this one. The first two I got really pumped for, and I loved them both the first time round, but my enthusiasm really feel apart over repeated viewing. Far too much focus on the utterly uninteresting Peter/MJ relationship just about does it, I think.

JLM

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
Topher Grace as Venom
« Reply #6 on: 25 Oct 2005, 09:01 »

I know...why focus on Peter & MJ?  It's not even an integral part of the storyline or anything!

Seriously though I just wish that they'd write better dialogue between the two...then maybe it wouldn't be so cringeworthy.

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
Topher Grace as Venom
« Reply #7 on: 25 Oct 2005, 09:22 »

Weird.  I'm not sure what to think.  I really hope they somehow improve the whole business with Mary Jane.  I don't if it's just the lines they keep writting for her or the fact that Dunst as Mary Jane still bugs me.  

Also I wonder what versions they'll combine together.  I had figured the astronaut that she was suppose to marry was going to end up being the movies' version of Venom.  Maybe they'll go more along the lines of the Ultimate series.

sjbrot

Topher Grace as Venom
« Reply #8 on: 25 Oct 2005, 10:59 »

Topher seems like a weird choice to me, but after Sam Raimi's work on Spiderman 2, I trust the guy.

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
Topher Grace as Venom
« Reply #9 on: 25 Oct 2005, 14:00 »

I thought two was his last Spidey film.  Or was that going to be after three?

Daniel

Topher Grace as Venom
« Reply #10 on: 25 Oct 2005, 18:45 »

Quote from: JLM
I know...why focus on Peter & MJ?  It's not even an integral part of the storyline or anything!

I wouldn't mind the focus on it, if it was interesting. But she's so bland, and boring, and I really really cannot make myself care if they get together or not. And they spent too much of Spider-man 2 making boring eyes at each other, time that coulda been spent on super-sweet Doc Ock Action!

Leonidas

• Furry furrier
Topher Grace as Venom
« Reply #11 on: 26 Oct 2005, 04:01 »

Damnit!

I really hope that's not true about Venom. I know most people would disagree with me, but I think he would be a terrible villian. Not in terms of himself being a poor character, but I just can't see how they could possibly bring him into the movie storyline, seeing as in the comic his origin is fairly long, drawn-out, and completely unbelievable.

So far the movie series, as much as being amazing and completely unplausable, has at its heart kept an semblance of believablity about it. Both the Green Goblin and Doc' Oc' were born out of failed experiments. Very much comic book, but almost something you could hang on to. Venom on the other hand..... Again I just can't see it happening. I also think that to have all these villians in the one movie is just too much. It would be impossible to develop all these characters as much as they deserve in just one movie. That is unless Sam is planning on making a 5 hour epic!

Personally I don't believe it. I can see the return of the Green Goblin (obviously) and The Lizard, seeing as the Dr Conners character has already been intorduced in SM2. However, I really do feel that Sandman and Venom would really spoil the series so far.

Anyway...

There are rumours that Grace has apparently signed for a fourth Spidey film, which if true could/would leave for more development of the Venom character. The favourite theory doing the rounds so far is that the film will include John Jameson returning from a space trip and Peter being assigned to take pictures (and Spider-Man getting involved somewhere). He'll pick up the symbiote which will probably help him defeat Sandman and The Lizard, but eventually have to give it up when it tries to take control. Parallel to this we see the story of Eddie Brock who always gets beaten to the job by Peter. The symbiote infects him and he becomes Venom. Right at the end of the film, we hear that raspy, harsh, slurp-esque breathing that Venom has...

Again though, it's all just speculation and fanboy talk at this point. Untill the actual release of the film we just won't know.
She looked me over and I guess she thought I was all right...
All right in a sort of a limited way for an off night.

Daniel

Topher Grace as Venom
« Reply #12 on: 26 Oct 2005, 04:15 »

Leonidas, did you happen to read the Venom arc in Ultimate Spider-man? It was a much less drawn out, (relatively) more believable, origin for the character - and one of the book's better arcs, in my opinion.

Hat

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • bang bang a suckah MC shot me down
Topher Grace as Venom
« Reply #13 on: 26 Oct 2005, 04:21 »

I am kinda wondering what role Bruce Campbell is going to have this time around, because he was quoted as saying it was "Big".

Either that, or the man is messing with our heads.

Personally, I was kinda hoping he was going to play Venom. No matter how rushed and terrible the character introduction was, there is no way Bruce Campbell as Venom wouldn't be the best thing in the entire trilogy.
Quote from: Emilio
power metal set in the present is basically crunk

Leonidas

• Furry furrier
Topher Grace as Venom
« Reply #14 on: 26 Oct 2005, 04:35 »

Quote from: Daniel
Leonidas, did you happen to read the Venom arc in Ultimate Spider-man? It was a much less drawn out, (relatively) more believable, origin for the character - and one of the book's better arcs, in my opinion.

I lost my interest in comic books before The Ultimate Spider-Man comic came out, and so I'm not completely sure of the origin. According to the PS2 game though it's something to do with Peter's dad, along with Brock's dad, creating some suit which is a cure for cancer and going horribly wrong???

Daniel

Topher Grace as Venom
« Reply #15 on: 26 Oct 2005, 04:49 »

Quote from: Leonidas
Quote from: Daniel

I lost my interest in comic books before The Ultimate Spider-Man comic came out, and so I'm not completely sure of the origin. According to the PS2 game though it's something to do with Peter's dad, along with Brock's dad, creating some suit which is a cure for cancer and going horribly wrong???

Basically, yeah. The suit covers the body and boosts it's natural immune system, allowing it to cure all kinds of diseases. It gets on Peter, and enhances his abilities - and also makes him a little bit crazy. It almost makes him kill a guy, so he rejects it. Then it bonds with Brock, making him super-tough... and reallyp crazy.

aahz

Topher Grace as Venom
« Reply #16 on: 27 Oct 2005, 21:16 »

As far as I know, Sam Raimi was only going to make a trilogy out of spider-man. So I don't think a fourth one is going to happen. At least not with the crew they have now. As far as Topher grace being Venom. I can see it happening. Grace is a pretty decent actor and I can see him going into full on crazy mode. How they are going to fit all these villains into one movie without them teaming up and destroying spider-man only to have him come back some miraculous way comics have their heroes come back is beyond me.

Leonidas

• Furry furrier
Guess who....
« Reply #17 on: 08 Nov 2005, 13:05 »

Thomas Haden Church as Flint Marko (AKA Sandman) from the offical Spider-Man website:

Sideways

Topher Grace as Venom
« Reply #18 on: 08 Nov 2005, 14:01 »

Awesome-possum.

I'm getting psyched for this movie already, and it's not out for over a year!

Leonidas... about the rumours for the 4th movie.  Supposedly there are only going to be 3.  On the special features disc for Spiderman 2, the producer actually says that they only want three films, and Sony isn't interested in producing any more after that.  Didn't make sense to me, what with how big a money-maker it is, but whatever.

So far as I've heard, there's been no change to this.  However, if that's true, then I could totally see your description of events in Spiderman3 being not only plausible... but really really cool!

As for Venom's origins, they won't go with the alien/symbiote suit... Raimi has approached the movies from a more realistic perspective, trying - at least somewhat - to keep the 'super' aspects of the film within the scientific realm, not the fantastical.

Last thought:  Topher Grace - physically - would've been better suited to Carnage, not Venom.  Venom/Eddie Brock is BIG... Topher is smaller than Tobey McGuire, for chrissakes!

Leonidas

• Furry furrier
Topher Grace as Venom
« Reply #19 on: 08 Nov 2005, 14:21 »

Quote from: Sideways

Leonidas... about the rumours for the 4th movie.  Supposedly there are only going to be 3.  On the special features disc for Spiderman 2, the producer actually says that they only want three films, and Sony isn't interested in producing any more after that.  Didn't make sense to me, what with how big a money-maker it is, but whatever.

Yeah. It was just fanboy talk. Kirsten Dunst herself says that there are and only ever were plans for three movies. With that in mind it seems even less likely that Venom will make an appearance.

Raimi has approached the movies from a more realistic perspective, trying - at least somewhat - to keep the 'super' aspects of the film within the scientific realm, not the fantastical.

Which is why I always felt that to try and introduce Venom into the mix would have simply made the whole franchise a little too fantastic and silly. As much as I would love to see a live-action Venom on screen I do feel it would ruin the whole feel of the movies so far. I feel there would be a danger of forcing the Spider-Man franchise down the same horrible path that Batman took with Batman Forever and Batman and Robin if the whole thing were just to become too fantastical.

Sideways

Topher Grace as Venom
« Reply #20 on: 08 Nov 2005, 14:47 »

Quote from: Leonidas

Yeah. It was just fanboy talk. Kirsten Dunst herself says that there are and only ever were plans for three movies. With that in mind it seems even less likely that Venom will make an appearance.

Well... Venom *is* making an appearance.  There's no denying that, and it's not fanboy talk either.  Check out this link:

Topher Grace's Bio on IMDB.com.  IMDB doesn't post rumour, they only post that an actor is signed onto a project, with a specific character, when such news has been officially released.  Check his bio under Spiderman 3.

Leonidas

• Furry furrier
Topher Grace as Venom
« Reply #21 on: 09 Nov 2005, 01:48 »

o_0

To be honest though I'm still not convinced. The only official release about a villian is about Sandman. It's also pretty clear the Green Goblin (or will they turn Harry Osbourne into The Hobgoblin?) will make an appearance. I also believe the stage has been set for The Lizard to possibly make an appearance with Dr Conners being introduced in the previous movie and confirmed for number 3.

I still can't see a place for Venom.

Sideways

Topher Grace as Venom
« Reply #22 on: 09 Nov 2005, 08:23 »

There doesn't exist an official Spiderman3 movie site yet, but all the sites dedicated to movie news (not gossip) have clearly stated Topher Grace is Venom in the next movie.  There must have been a press release.

I think it will be crowded with Venom, Sandman and the Green Goblin... they certainly won't go into the Lizard... the return of Connors is probably just fanservice, like it was in the second film.  He's there, he has one arm, people who don't know any better will think he's just Peter's teacher/mentor, people who do know better will have knowing smiles on their faces.  Just because he's there it doesn't mean they will definately explore the character.

Leonidas

• Furry furrier
Topher Grace as Venom
« Reply #23 on: 09 Nov 2005, 16:26 »

There doesn't exist an official Spiderman3 movie site yet.

http://spiderman.sonypictures.com/index.php

TOPHER GRACE JOINS CAST OF SPIDER-MAN®3

Latest Adventure set to debut worldwide on May 4, 2007

CULVER CITY, CA May 19, 2005 – Topher Grace has joined the cast of Spider-Man® 3, it was announced by director Sam Raimi and producers Laura Ziskin and Marvel Studio's Avi Arad.

Grace will join Tobey Maguire, Kirsten Dunst, James Franco, and Thomas Haden Church in the blockbuster franchise.

Spider-Man 3 is scheduled for release on May 4, 2007, and will reunite returning cast members with director Sam Raimi and producers Ziskin and Arad, the successful filmmaking team responsible for the first two films.

The Spider-Man film franchise has grossed more than $1.5 billion in worldwide ticket sales to date. Production on Spider-Man 3, which was written by Alvin Sargent, is scheduled to begin early next year.

"Spider-Man will face double the trouble in our next film and I couldn't be more excited about the direction we are taking Peter Parker and the franchise," said Raimi. "Topher Grace is an extraordinarily talented actor and will be perfect for the complexities of the role we are developing."

While speculation continues about which characters will be called into action, the studio will not comment on the new roles beyond confirming the casting of Grace and Church.

http://spiderman.sonypictures.com/bugle/press_releases/14.php

neomang5

• Curry sauce
  • Machine of Rage and Hate
Topher Grace as Venom
« Reply #24 on: 10 Nov 2005, 19:55 »

Ok, According to IMDB, its no longer ABOUT Venom, but he's in it. Good. That means theres a setup.
BAD. SANDMAN AND FUCKING HOBGOBLIN. Decent villains. NOT movie-worthy, even together. Also, Why didnt they use the Harry incarnation of the Green Goblin instead? It seems to be the intelligent solution to me.
Dont even get me started on what i think of Topher Grace's casting. They may as well have cast a quadriplegic midget. Seriously, out of place.
i don't understand why you're implying that i have to come to terms with your crippling failings as a person

ggeorge2814

Hmmmm
« Reply #25 on: 22 Nov 2005, 09:12 »

Well, I don't want to speculate too hard,
but do you think that maybe the writers are thinking
of pulling off a bastardized version of the assembly of the
sinister 6?

Like maybe they're thinking of introducing a villain team.
It always was a blast when spidey had to fight off the entire
lot of them.

Probably not, but hell, what is life, if you can't just throw
stuff out in the air every once in a while.

"G"

Sideways

Topher Grace as Venom
« Reply #26 on: 22 Nov 2005, 09:13 »

Venom wasn't part of the Sinister 6.  Not so far as I can remember.

ggeorge2814

yeah
« Reply #27 on: 22 Nov 2005, 11:22 »

Yeah, but you know Hollywood. I mean, they may not call it the sinister six, but they might try something like that.

"G"

Mikintosh

• Emoticontraindication
Topher Grace as Venom
« Reply #28 on: 29 Nov 2005, 10:23 »

I'm just worried that Harry Osbourne's storyline (which they've been setting up for years) might be pushed off to the side unless they get the Hobgoblin out in front, and I've seen no indication of that.

I like Grace, and I think Venom will be massive CGI anyway, so it's all good.

angelheaded hipster

Topher Grace as Venom
« Reply #29 on: 29 Nov 2005, 13:44 »

I have some mixed emotions about Topher Grace playing Eddie Brock.

. . .

And by that I mean that the idea is completely horrendous.

My fingers are crossed for serious movie magic. . .

ayePod

Topher Grace as Venom
« Reply #30 on: 29 Nov 2005, 14:39 »

As long as there're more Evil Dead and Raimi refrences I don't even care.

neomang5

• Curry sauce
Topher Grace as Venom
« Reply #31 on: 05 Dec 2005, 11:00 »

I've been looking about, and what if the movie went something like this?
Quote from: Some guy on a website
I'm hoping that they come up with a symbiote storyline that goes something like this:
Peter somehow gets involved with the symbiote/suit
Sandman and Hobgoblin start wreaking havok
Somewhere along the line Spidey realizes that the suit is alive and trying to control him. Cue Topher Grace as the voice of a (wiseass) cg symbiote suite.
Fighting them is difficult because Spidey is also fighting the symbiote
The hero wins.
The symbiote teams up with Eddie Brock in the last scene and decide to kick Peter/Spidey's ass in the next sequel.

I'd watch that and be satisfied.
i don't understand why you're implying that i have to come to terms with your crippling failings as a person

Sideways

Topher Grace as Venom
« Reply #32 on: 05 Dec 2005, 11:12 »

except that Topher Grace is getting acting credit for his role, not voice-acting credit... and he's listed as playing "Venom / Eddie Brock" so him as just a voice doesn't seem feasable.

Also, Sony - at one point - said this would be the last Spiderman movie, so if Venom is in it, he plays a bigger role than just a cliffhanger sort of thing.

neomang5

• Curry sauce
Topher Grace as Venom
« Reply #33 on: 05 Dec 2005, 18:57 »

DAMN YOU AND YOUR RESEARCH.

Still, that would be a cool premise, no?
Stupid Sony Pictures and their ruining of franchises.

Leonidas

• Furry furrier
Topher Grace as Venom
« Reply #34 on: 06 Dec 2005, 03:22 »

It seems with this one they just might...... :(

unhealthyaddiction

Re: Hmmmm
« Reply #35 on: 06 Dec 2005, 08:53 »

Quote from: ggeorge2814
Well, I don't want to speculate too hard,
but do you think that maybe the writers are thinking
of pulling off a bastardized version of the assembly of the
sinister 6?

Like maybe they're thinking of introducing a villain team.
It always was a blast when spidey had to fight off the entire
lot of them.

i don't know about a sinister 6, or even six enemies (wow, i hope they don't overdo spider-man 3 like brett rattner is apparently going to do with x-men 3!), but with three enemies in this one, surely spidey will find himself in a situation where he has to fight all, or at least two, at once. how could there be three enemies in two hours of film without any of the fights overlapping?

what would be really sweet is if they bring in an ally to help spidey fight the goblin, sandman, and venom. i suggest black cat. i certainly would not mind seeing a live action black cat. of course it's too late in the game to be adding to the cast, but a guy can dream, right?

Qui Gon Zel

Topher Grace as Venom
« Reply #36 on: 02 Jan 2006, 09:11 »

I'd laugh my ass off if all of this was misdirection from the production studio via Sam Raimi.
Pages: [1]   Go Up