THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 20 Apr 2024, 00:39
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: music history knowledge  (Read 4597 times)

Willem

music history knowledge
« on: 25 Oct 2005, 01:56 »

I was wondering. Do you think it is important to know about musical history? Do you think it's important that you know who made what music and influenced who? Is it okay in your opinion if people say that Joy Division is a mediocre version of interpol or that they even can say 'yeah Green day are super, but who's this Johnny Rotten guy you're talking about?'. Or does one have to be capable of saying 'yeah, Nirvana was awesome but they did steal a lot from the pixies' before (s)he gains your 'respect' (wrong word for that, i know, but I can't think of anything better)

decklin

music history knowledge
« Reply #1 on: 25 Oct 2005, 04:54 »

I really don't see what factual information (say, that 1979 was earlier in time that 2002) has to do with having cool/important/respectable "taste".

Be happy that someone else likes Interpol! Not everyone has to like Joy Division.

I'm sure if you dig into it you will find that they are not saying the older band secretly invented a time machine and went into the future to steal their ideas from the newer one. What they are actually saying is that they just like the newer band. I can think of several people I know or knew for whom I could play both and they would say "WTF?" to Mr. Curtis et al. The zeitgeist that Interpol taps into is a lot wider than simply "post-punk is cool again". This is why there are *always* bands that are more popular than their influences.

Hitting them over the head with how they "should" be "cool" is not the best way to explain what you like to them. Of all bands, you've got a huge in here: New Order! Go play them some.

ForteBass

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
music history knowledge
« Reply #2 on: 25 Oct 2005, 05:53 »

Besides all that, music history goes further back than indie or rock. Having some kind of history on everything that came before is really hell of fun.
(Monteverdi ftw!)
Quote from: Eris
Man, Friday night and I'm drawing tacos to post on the internet. I need another drink.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
music history knowledge
« Reply #3 on: 25 Oct 2005, 06:11 »

THE COMPLETE LINE-UP CHANGES FOR CHRISTIAN DEATH!

</goth injoke>
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
music history knowledge
« Reply #4 on: 25 Oct 2005, 06:39 »

I make it my business to know as much as I can about musical history just because I enjoy to know it.

And that kind of thing annoys me and I usually correct them, but it's not like I hate someone because of their music taste. I can hate their music taste without hating the person...
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

sjbrot

music history knowledge
« Reply #5 on: 25 Oct 2005, 10:38 »

I gotta agree with most of the people here and say that some idea of what has come before is necessary, if only to gain an appreciation for what we are listening to now.

TheLoweringTide

music history knowledge
« Reply #6 on: 25 Oct 2005, 14:35 »

It depends on if you consider yourself a music aficionado or just a music listener.  I think a lot of the people who post here (and a lot of people in the indie scene in general) consider music such an integral part of their lives that they feel it necessary to know as much as they can about the history of their genre of choice, the artists that influenced current favorites, etc.  And there's definitely a degree of elitism there - a desire always to be able to invoke the name of some group that fewer people have heard of.

And then there are the people who hear a song they like and listen to it because they like how it sounds.  They might not even care who the guitar player is, let alone the band's influences.  The funny thing is that when these two groups encounter one another, the former will do everything in its power to name drop suggest other, often more obscure artists in the same vein because they project their personal sense of value onto the latter.  The casual listeners don't share or understand this sense of value, so they don't care.  The elitists get angry at what they perceive to be ignorance, and the casual listeners still don't care.

Of course there are infinite graduations between these two points.

So basically you should just like the music you like - if that means you garner a more complete experience by knowing the history behind it, go for it.  If you listen to a song because it's catchy, go for it.  It doesn't make sense to tell people that one attitude is more correct when it comes to something as subjective as music.

ASturge

music history knowledge
« Reply #7 on: 25 Oct 2005, 14:44 »

I thought this thread was going to be about Baroque music.

That Harpsichord makes me smile...

Imagine if Baroque composers had access to Jazz Drummers!

FruitKat

• Furry furrier
music history knowledge
« Reply #8 on: 25 Oct 2005, 14:51 »

www.toothpastefordinner.com

Hah hahahah...Oh dear.

Also, on topic, I just think learning about music history is interesting. Thats about it.

decklin

music history knowledge
« Reply #9 on: 25 Oct 2005, 14:55 »

TfD FTW!

La Creme

music history knowledge
« Reply #10 on: 25 Oct 2005, 15:03 »

I think that it is disrespectful to the musicians to listen to their music and not know a shit-damn about what's going on in it. Knowing of bands that sound like bands you like, understanding the music of bands you like, really actively listening (not just passively) to their music, and knowing about the band itself all goes along with being into music. Ignorance is not something that really slides in music. People who listen to music and don't know a shit-damn about it are like people who go to art museums and just walk around, not appreciating anything, just glancing, grunting approval/disapproval, etc.

Seriously, I agree with Spinless. Know your shit, or don't open your mouth.

soak

music history knowledge
« Reply #11 on: 25 Oct 2005, 15:15 »

I think music history knowledge only really matters when you are attempting to have a meaningful conversation about music. There are plenty of people who I don't want to talk about music to and therefore the less they know the less inclined they would be to try and converse with me.

ForteBass

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
music history knowledge
« Reply #12 on: 25 Oct 2005, 17:24 »

Quote from: ASturge
Imagine if Baroque composers had access to Jazz Drummers!

You mean if, say, Orfeo had a killer swing beat with the bass? I think I just got a hard on...
Quote from: Eris
Man, Friday night and I'm drawing tacos to post on the internet. I need another drink.

La Creme

music history knowledge
« Reply #13 on: 25 Oct 2005, 20:27 »

Preston has a new mission. It involves the above, and 20-minute phaser'd out guitar trances.
Pages: [1]   Go Up