THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Apr 2024, 17:03
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: QC Chart  (Read 13323 times)

Willem

QC Chart
« on: 26 Oct 2005, 02:04 »

I'm too much of a newbie to have figured out how diverse the musical taste is around here but wahey, it might work anyway:

We could try to make a weekly music chart; If we select some already existing charts (we need a longlist to vote from otherwise people will come up with lists that don't overlap) we could let 'everybody' form a top 5 or 10 (depending on the amount of votes if it's best to make a list of 5 or 10)), add those lists up to form a weekly chart.

What's the use? Well, not much of a use really, though you might be able to discover about new good music you didn't know yet. Besides that i guess it's nice for nerdy listmakers (like me) to participate.

Sorry if this idea has been voiced and bashed before..

MilkmanDan

QC Chart
« Reply #1 on: 26 Oct 2005, 04:19 »

Willem

QC Chart
« Reply #2 on: 26 Oct 2005, 04:24 »

I think my idea offers something extra, could be wrong though..

MilkmanDan

QC Chart
« Reply #3 on: 26 Oct 2005, 04:52 »

Yeah, it does. I was just showing you the current chart for comparative perposes.

Willem

QC Chart
« Reply #4 on: 26 Oct 2005, 05:06 »

ah, ok. thanks :)

decklin

QC Chart
« Reply #5 on: 26 Oct 2005, 06:39 »

Something more, like... doing it all by hand? :)

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
QC Chart
« Reply #6 on: 26 Oct 2005, 09:45 »

That list is crazy. It'll be a load of bands I like, like Weezer, and then throw some fast ball at me like Neutral Milk Hotel.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

ASturge

QC Chart
« Reply #7 on: 26 Oct 2005, 10:21 »

NMH, the band Pitchfork gave 10/10 [ever since they got popular...], is a fastball?

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
QC Chart
« Reply #8 on: 26 Oct 2005, 10:52 »

We listen to more Disturbed than Black Sabbath.

Man, I had no idea you guys were THAT low.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
QC Chart
« Reply #9 on: 26 Oct 2005, 11:37 »

Quote from: ASturge
NMH, the band Pitchfork gave 10/10 [ever since they got popular...], is a fastball?

I don't give a shit about Pitchfork.

Willem

QC Chart
« Reply #10 on: 26 Oct 2005, 14:11 »

But, worth the shot or not? I mean, with enough voters and a decent longlist there still cpould be a decent chart?

ASturge

QC Chart
« Reply #11 on: 26 Oct 2005, 14:57 »

DynamiteKid, That's kind of what I'm saying....

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
QC Chart
« Reply #12 on: 26 Oct 2005, 17:48 »

Quote from: teh QC last.fm group
213 - Creed, 5 plays

what the hell?

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
QC Chart
« Reply #13 on: 26 Oct 2005, 17:57 »

Quote from: est
213 - Creed, 5 plays

what the hell?

Hey, Green Day is 28th.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

JLM

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
QC Chart
« Reply #14 on: 26 Oct 2005, 19:07 »

And Nine Inch Nails is in the top 20.

Luke

QC Chart
« Reply #15 on: 26 Oct 2005, 22:05 »

I'm surprised that some of you people aren't bitching about Coldplay yet. I find it interesting that Good Charlotte's on the list at all, too.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
QC Chart
« Reply #16 on: 26 Oct 2005, 22:11 »

I'm surprised that Death Cab for Cutie's at number 3, given that the prevailing mood of this forum has always seemed to be "Death to Death Cab."

sjbrot

QC Chart
« Reply #17 on: 26 Oct 2005, 22:49 »

Dido at #113!

Score!

MilkmanDan

QC Chart
« Reply #18 on: 27 Oct 2005, 01:55 »

The highest artist on there that I listen to is Daft Punk at #28. I really feel my contribution is making a difference.

Also, Blink 182 at #58 with 12 listeners. Oh dear.

Rizzo

• Bling blang blong blung
  • R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
QC Chart
« Reply #19 on: 27 Oct 2005, 03:18 »

Quote from: KharBevNor

Bah, I'm not surprised.

Nice to see Yokko Kanno on there.I expect there'll be lots of metal in there once... I dunno but there should be lots of metal in there. The Cure at 58? I shall have to fix that. (Boys Don't Cry goes on repeat overnight).
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Sometimes I feel like everyone around me is some sort of statistical/mathematical genuis and I'm hitting a gazelle in the head with a rock and screaming at the sky when there's a storm.

MilkmanDan

QC Chart
« Reply #20 on: 27 Oct 2005, 03:42 »

It ranks them by the number of listeners, not number of listens. So you could listen to 1 song by The Cure or 500, it's still just one point. If it did it by individual listens, the entire chart would be a terrifying combanation of folk and metal, as Khar has listened to about 170 Million tracks.

zmeiat_joro

QC Chart
« Reply #21 on: 27 Oct 2005, 05:19 »

Quote from: Willem
But, worth the shot or not? I mean, with enough voters and a decent longlist there still cpould be a decent chart?

Sounds like a good idea to me, but I'm not in any way a regular around here, so..
I, for one, welcome the fragmentation of deeper levels of shared reality.

TheLoweringTide

QC Chart
« Reply #22 on: 27 Oct 2005, 05:57 »

I think it'd be a pretty ok idea.  Anything that yields new musical recommendations is a good thing in my book.

Mnementh

QC Chart
« Reply #23 on: 27 Oct 2005, 07:00 »

Quote from: est
213 - Creed, 5 plays

what the hell?

I'm scared.  Somebody hold me.

saturnine1979

QC Chart
« Reply #24 on: 27 Oct 2005, 07:10 »

i think the prevailing mood of this community seems to be "Death To Death Cab" is because the ones who dislike Death Cab are far more vocal  than those who enjoy Death Cab.

I, for one, do indeed enjoy some Death Cab. They're #3 on my most played bands.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
QC Chart
« Reply #25 on: 27 Oct 2005, 07:12 »

I'm sure it is worth the shot, they're probably a great band, but I don't download music and I'm not about to part with my money based on a vague recommendation. I choose what I listen to - Pitchfork don't.

saturnine1979

QC Chart
« Reply #26 on: 27 Oct 2005, 07:17 »

Pitchfork doesn't force you to listen to music either.

...It's a little ridiculous to think of a website making someone listen to something. I don't know why people constantly attack Pitchfork as if they're some evil entity out to take over your mind. The editors and contributors of Pitchfork are people who love music. They may not love the kind of music that you love, but that's their perogative. If you don't like it, don't read it. I read about 20 different music sites run by different people with different opinions and tastes. I don't run out to get something just because it got a good review. I look for the kind of sounds that I know I enjoy, and I look for records like that. If there's something different that sounds interesting, I'll check it out. It's not up to Pitchfork, or any other source of music information to determine what I do or do not listen to. That's always up to me.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
QC Chart
« Reply #27 on: 27 Oct 2005, 15:32 »

Quote from: saturnine1979
Pitchfork doesn't force you to listen to music either.

I hope that's not aimed at me.

...It's a little ridiculous to think of a website making someone listen to something. I don't know why people constantly attack Pitchfork as if they're some evil entity out to take over your mind.

I sure as hell didn't.

The editors and contributors of Pitchfork are people who love music. They may not love the kind of music that you love, but that's their perogative. If you don't like it, don't read it.

I've never read it. I barely even know what it entails.

I never 'attacked' Pitchfork. I just don't give a crap if they like a band or not, its not about to effect my opinions.

Skibas_clavicle

• Scrabble hacker
  • Mo' money, mo' problem.
QC Chart
« Reply #28 on: 27 Oct 2005, 16:59 »

Where do the numbers come from? I don't really get how the chart's made. Someone humour me, please.
I like the way you work it.

Willem

QC Chart
« Reply #29 on: 28 Oct 2005, 04:29 »

Quote from: zmeiat_joro

Sounds like a good idea to me, but I'm not in any way a regular around here, so..
well, okay, at least some people agree with me at least. That's what i wanted to know. :)

So for the longlist, which existing charts do you suggest?

MilkmanDan

QC Chart
« Reply #30 on: 28 Oct 2005, 06:42 »

Quote from: Skibas_clavicle
Where do the numbers come from? I don't really get how the chart's made. Someone humour me, please.

Basically, you sign up at last.fm, and get a plugin for your mp3 software of choice (itunes, winamp, foobar, etc). Then, every time you listen to a song it tells the website what you just listened to. The website keeps track of all your songs and gives you personal charts of your most listened to artists and shit.
Then you sign up for the Questionable Content group. Every person who listens to a band adds another point. That's where the numbers come from. For example: last week, 31 people listened to at least 1 Radiohead track, which makes them number 1. 29 people listened to at least 1 Modest Mouse track, making them 2nd, etc.

spizzletrunk

QC Chart
« Reply #31 on: 28 Oct 2005, 17:49 »

Um, I hope sarcasm was being exercised when it was said that that list was DIVERSE.

Luke

QC Chart
« Reply #32 on: 28 Oct 2005, 23:21 »

You lost me. Who in this thread stated the list as being diverse?

Meh. Whatever you say...

QC Chart
« Reply #33 on: 29 Oct 2005, 15:07 »

Quote from: Luke
I'm surprised that some of you people aren't bitching about Coldplay yet. I find it interesting that Good Charlotte's on the list at all, too.

I'm with you.

I dearly hate Coldplay, and Good Charlotte as well.

It's really too bad everyone else likes them, because then they could be cleared off the list to make way for some better bands...

Ah well.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
QC Chart
« Reply #34 on: 29 Oct 2005, 16:09 »

Quote from: Mnementh

I'm scared.  Somebody hold me.

I would but, y'know, court orders.
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

Grumpus

QC Chart
« Reply #35 on: 31 Oct 2005, 03:00 »

To bring this slightly more on topic, I think the chart Idea is a realy good one.

Willem

QC Chart
« Reply #36 on: 31 Oct 2005, 05:37 »

Thanks
Anyway, for the longlist (needed to avoid debates about what's recent enough to be in the chart and what isn't) we need some already existing charts. I have made charts this way before and the 2 charts we were most satisfied about were:
Kink FM chart (Dutch radio Channel): http://www.kinkfm.com/programs/outlaw41.php
and
FM4 chart (Austrian radio channel):

But that's not enough ofcourse, can you people think of 3 or 4 extra charts to form a decent longlist?

spizzletrunk

QC Chart
« Reply #37 on: 31 Oct 2005, 14:16 »

Maybe I'm insane, but I can't see how the list is diverse.  Most of those bands, just in my opinion, swap indier-than-thou tales while hanging out on the LiveJournal interests lists of users like ______xxxambulancexxx.  Rap, jazz, folk, blues, punk, swing, r&b, and pop are virtually nonexistent--at least 95% straight indie with a smattering of classic rock.  While many indie bands imitate these genres, they're not very genuine representations.  That's just me though.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
QC Chart
« Reply #38 on: 01 Nov 2005, 01:54 »

If that's the long-list, please include me out. Not one artist I even really tolerate that much on either list.

Maverick

QC Chart
« Reply #39 on: 01 Nov 2005, 05:15 »

that chart looks like the Triple J playlist (oz radio station for those who don't know).

Willem

QC Chart
« Reply #40 on: 01 Nov 2005, 05:45 »

If that's the long-list, please include me out. Not one artist I even really tolerate that much on either list.
As i said, those are 2 suggestions for charts to use for the longlist. The final longlist should contain the songs of 5 or 6 charts. It's up to you to add some extra charts without ending too diverse. It's ok if you disagree with those charts, but bring on alternatives..

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
QC Chart
« Reply #41 on: 01 Nov 2005, 08:51 »

Nah, my musical tastes are too different to most peoples here, although arguably I could get some consensus when I need more 80's. There are big fans of jazz and punk and whatnot who are regular as well, the forum isn't entirely hipster, a testament to Jeph's comicing abilities </brown-nose>

Mnementh

QC Chart
« Reply #42 on: 01 Nov 2005, 11:46 »

I listened to a bunch of Ace of Base, Wagner, and Anna Netrebko but none of it showed up on the chart!

*tears*

zmeiat_joro

QC Chart
« Reply #43 on: 01 Nov 2005, 11:48 »

What if you let people pick one or two that are not in the list? Like one out of five or two out of ten.

spizzletrunk

QC Chart
« Reply #44 on: 01 Nov 2005, 13:00 »

Quote from: Spinless
When I said we're diverse, I wasn't referring to the list. I was referring to US. I know there are loads of genres missing from the chart, but I know those people are here, I've seen them scurrying around. Mostly the jazz and classical fans that do the scurrying.

Ah, then there's been a misunderstanding.  My bad.

As far as forum users go, I'd say we're doing pretty damn well for diversity.  The last.fm list is definitely overflowing with QC readers, both forum folk and otherwise.  A *forum* list would be, indeed, quite interesting.

iamlost

QC Chart
« Reply #45 on: 01 Nov 2005, 14:32 »

The group needs a picture it looks bare without it.

zmeiat_joro

QC Chart
« Reply #46 on: 07 Nov 2005, 15:40 »

I've become the 200th memeber of the group. So, what about these longlists?
Pages: [1]   Go Up