THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 11:09
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Modern Composition  (Read 3577 times)

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
Modern Composition
« on: 29 Oct 2005, 16:48 »

I made this to ask what you people feel about the changes in composition that has occured over the past years. Do like all of the different musical styles?

I made this broad, so as it can be focused and refocused as time goes on. So, let's start with the avant garde movement and John Cage, how do you feel about it/him?
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
Modern Composition
« Reply #1 on: 29 Oct 2005, 17:03 »

I do consider myself to be very big into the avant garde (As much as I hate that word) "scene" (I hate that word too). John Cage is fabulous, and if we're talking about modern day avant-composers, we cannot, in any concievable way, not mention Edgar Varese. It's simply required to mention him because he's simply amazing. Of course, he died in 1965, but I'm going to count him as modern. And he was the major inspiration and role model of Zappa, who's simply a genius. (Zappa wrote a big thing about him, which you can read Here.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
Modern Composition
« Reply #2 on: 29 Oct 2005, 17:42 »

We're technically post-modern nowadays, it's perfectly legit to call anyone from the 1900's onwards 'modern' or 'modernist'.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
Modern Composition
« Reply #3 on: 29 Oct 2005, 19:37 »

Well bitchin'.

Although he's not a composer, Snakefinger did some pretty crazy stuff; He worked with the Residents for a while and did some stuff on his own; both groups of his stuff is badass.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

FeralCats

• Plantmonster
Modern Composition
« Reply #4 on: 29 Oct 2005, 20:34 »

Quote from: Kai
I do consider myself to be very big into the avant garde (As much as I hate that word) "scene" (I hate that word too). John Cage is fabulous, and if we're talking about modern day avant-composers, we cannot, in any concievable way, not mention Edgar Varese. It's simply required to mention him because he's simply amazing. Of course, he died in 1965, but I'm going to count him as modern. And he was the major inspiration and role model of Zappa, who's simply a genius. (Zappa wrote a big thing about him, which you can read Here.

It's great to see another Zappa fan.

I like Avant Garde stuff, I suppose. I love John Cage's works-I actually think he's much easier to get in to than a lot of other composers. Varese is, of course sublime, and Zappa is SUPREME.

I've heard some Boulez-it's really fascinating. The main argument against modern composition/avant garde composition is that it's breaking rules for the sake of breaking rules. I disagree-a lot of the pieces follow the rules, simply not how you expect them too.

Honestly, It's absolutley fantastic.
"Okay, let's get this straight, okay, we're totally going to create a Questionable Content Forum signature here, just as soon as we get tuned up, any moment now, yes, wait one moment sir, any seco...."

Valrus

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • moo hoo ha ha
Modern Composition
« Reply #5 on: 30 Oct 2005, 09:38 »

Quote from: FeralCats
I've heard some Boulez-it's really fascinating. The main argument against modern composition/avant garde composition is that it's breaking rules for the sake of breaking rules. I disagree-a lot of the pieces follow the rules, simply not how you expect them too.

Hell, that fucker Boulez had more rules than anyone else. And Schoenberg made a name for himself by being the first to come up with rules for atonal composition.

Paradoxically, Boulez's piano music tends to sound like someone randomly banging on the keyboard, in spite of all those rules. His chamber piece Le Marteau sans Maître is somewhat more palatable; since it has more timbres in it, the dissonance and other craziness isn't quite so jarring.

Anyone heard Pierrot Lunaire?
Quote from: Johnny C
Whatever you give up for Lent, it better not be your day job.
Pages: [1]   Go Up