THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 Apr 2024, 05:30
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Frank Herberts Dune  (Read 7804 times)

RedLeather

Frank Herberts Dune
« on: 01 Nov 2005, 10:58 »

I recently got back into this series, It's pretty intricate, heck, a lot more intricate than some novels out there (Cough, looking at you Terry Brooks.) Anywa, i like the books, haven't seen the movies though...Is it any good? and what do you all think of them? I havent read/seen Children of dune either..haven't found the time or the books :(

SeanBateman

Frank Herberts Dune
« Reply #1 on: 01 Nov 2005, 11:09 »

Read the other books.
AVOID THE MOVIES IF YOU LIKED THE BOOKS AT ALL THEY WILL MAKE YOU CRY!
Also, didn't we just have this thread?

LiterSize

• Curry sauce
Frank Herberts Dune
« Reply #2 on: 01 Nov 2005, 11:21 »

here we go!  (it's actually at the bottom of the list)

http://forums.questionablecontent.net/viewtopic.php?t=7697

Uhm, is it ok if I saw the movie with Sting and am now interested in reading the books?

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
Frank Herberts Dune
« Reply #3 on: 01 Nov 2005, 11:45 »

I am 3/4 of the way through reading the original, but I am interested in seeing the movie to get another's opinion.
My boyfriend has an entire shelf full of Dune books, so I've got a way to go. ;)

Gryff

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Summary sense... tingling!
Frank Herberts Dune
« Reply #4 on: 01 Nov 2005, 14:16 »

I tried reading the first book, but I got bored about halfway through…

I found it very tediously paced. I give it one thing though: saying "I am the quizatz haderach" is pretty cool.

RedLeather

Frank Herberts Dune
« Reply #5 on: 01 Nov 2005, 16:33 »

Sorry, my browser has the bad habit of faking search results on this forum ~~; Much sorryness!

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • WTF was I thinking when I picked this name?
Frank Herberts Dune
« Reply #6 on: 01 Nov 2005, 17:35 »

Uhmm wow, for a second I was about to be all "OMGWTFSTFU cut that avatar down, n00b"

Then I realised that it's SeanBateman.

OMGWTFSTFU cut that avatar down, n00b

Anyway... Dune

Yeah, I'm afraid I've only properly read the first one. I started on sequels, but never read any of them through, properly. None of them seem to have the same charm.

I highly recommend the "Dune" Mini-series, however. It's way better than the movies, although you still won't get the full book experience.
ROCK MORE, ROLL MORE, LURK MOAR

RedLeather

Frank Herberts Dune
« Reply #7 on: 02 Nov 2005, 06:44 »

Haha, if we did get the full book experience....I think it would be as, or longer than Lord of the rings, seriously, this book is loooong...i've had it for three weeks and have barely gotten into the middle of it! and usually a book this size is done and ifnished by now..but..os..amny..complexities...e.e who to root for? House Atreidies or Harken?

Spike

• FIGHT YOU
Frank Herberts Dune
« Reply #8 on: 03 Nov 2005, 19:56 »

I just finished dune today actually.  I annoyed quite a few teachers in the process too.  There were times where I felt things were tedious but I also felt that it was necessary to the story.  There was much political intrigue and positions had to be taken carefully and slowly.  

The entire concept of the kwisatz haderach or a mentat blows me away and for one reason.  I wish I could be something like that.  That ever calculating being or the being whose awareness is greater than man's but less than god's.  Anyway, on to Atlas Shrugged.
Quote from: Joe Salton, a spam bot
I have seen all Internet.
Do or die, guys!

Joseph

• Duck attack survivor
Frank Herberts Dune
« Reply #9 on: 05 Nov 2005, 15:30 »

The original Dune series (the 6 books actually written by Frank Herbert) are great.  Dune is an amazing book, and while the other 5 aren't quite up to its level, they are all compelling reads, with great plots.  All 6 are books that I feel everyone should at least try to read.  Personally, I prefer them to even Lord of the Rings.

Unfortunately, Brian Herbert and Kevin Anderson couldn't continue the greatness of the originals with the Dune prequel books.  If you loved the originals, the prequels are good just for some background information, but they never even approach the greatness of Frank's writings.

As to the movie, it's horrible.  Maybe worth watching out of intrest , but nowhere near good as the books.  It butchers the storyline of the books so horribly that it almost made me cry.

Kthak

Frank Herberts Dune
« Reply #10 on: 05 Nov 2005, 23:25 »

I didn't get into the books until I'd seen the original 80's Dune movie, and the SciFi Dune miniseries. Then I read the book, saw Children of Dune on SciFi, and now I want to read the rest of the Herbert books.

So good...

KID

Frank Herberts Dune
« Reply #11 on: 08 Nov 2005, 14:37 »

just finished it and damn is it good

am now reading messiah, and it's following quite nicely

Madbrood

Frank Herberts Dune
« Reply #12 on: 16 Nov 2005, 06:20 »

Dune is possibly my favourite book of all time.

Okay, so that's not exactly true. My favourite book is "The Hyperion Omnibus" by Dan Simmons, but Dune is a close second. Love it. Got em all, and I agree- while interesting, the prequel novels aren't quite up to the standard of the original Saga.

And yes, the movie made me cry :(

-Mike

Kthak

Frank Herberts Dune
« Reply #13 on: 16 Nov 2005, 22:45 »

I really need to read the rest of the books.

Madbrood

Frank Herberts Dune
« Reply #14 on: 17 Nov 2005, 04:11 »

Yes, you do ;)

-Mike

emmie

Frank Herberts Dune
« Reply #15 on: 18 Nov 2005, 03:36 »

I read that book... I really liked it. I should read it again, hey?
I haven't bothered with the other ones, though - my dad said they weren't that great.

scrub

Frank Herberts Dune
« Reply #16 on: 19 Nov 2005, 14:30 »

I read Dune for a summer reading assignment, and I really liked it.

Are the other ones worth reading?

Paper Beats Rock

Frank Herberts Dune
« Reply #17 on: 03 Dec 2005, 17:13 »

I really enjoyed the first book, it was so much more than just your normal, bog standard sci-fi.  It has a lot of 'far out' yet strangely feasible concepts, like the bene gesserit and mentats.  The storyline is very strong, about the fulfilment of a prophesy and the emergence of a messiah.

After that the other five books seemed pretty poor.  Having read Dune first I couldn't give an objective view as to whether they were good books or not, they just didn't meet my expectations.  He kept reincarnating the same character over and over and introducing strange new concepts that weren't even alluded to in the first book and don't really feel right.  In short, they're more like your average sci-fi books.

As for the movies.  I thought that the one with Sting was alright, it kept me interested and didn't make me cringe like the Sci-Fi adaptations.
Pages: [1]   Go Up