THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 24 Apr 2024, 06:32
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can We Just Talk About Jack Kerouac For a Minute?  (Read 7366 times)

Crosseyedstranger

I have read Dharma Bums, On The Road, and Visions of Cody. All were really good, although Visions was really hard to get through. Anyone wanna reccomend some others?

Kid Modernist

Can We Just Talk About Jack Kerouac For a Minute?
« Reply #1 on: 07 Nov 2005, 11:33 »

Big Sur and Visions of Duluoz are good.

All of em are.

Try reading Orpheus Emerged, a short story he wrote.

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
« Reply #2 on: 07 Nov 2005, 16:20 »

Desolation Angels is far and away the best Kerouac I've read.  It starts off talking about his experiences being a fire-spotter on top of Desolation Peak (I think) in the Washington State wilderness, and then he comes down from the mountain and has the usual wanderings with his buddies.

Incidentally, I just started reading Lonesome Traveller (which I've had on my bookshelf for years) yesterday, because I was going on a short flight and needed something skinny and readable to take onto the 'plane with me.

Cpt.Fantastic

« Reply #3 on: 13 Nov 2005, 08:39 »

ZOMGZ! I love On The Road, it is easily my favourite book. As Inlander said, Desolation Angels is a great book also.

REEEAAAAAD

Joseph

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #4 on: 19 Nov 2005, 21:19 »

I love Kerouac, but personally I find William S. Burroughs and Allen Ginsberg to be better beat generation writers.  Picking up Howl and Other Poems by Ginsberg is well worth it, and Junky Queer Naked Lunch and Interzone by Burroughs are all great, if a bit wierd to read (and seriously, be prepared before reading Naked Lunch).

Still, Kerouac is great, and I immensely enjoyed On the Road, though I haven't read much of his other stuff.

rive gauche

« Reply #5 on: 22 Nov 2005, 08:32 »

Pretty much exactly what I was going to say. Except I don't necessarily think Allen and William are better than Jack.  Some other good beats: Lawrence Ferlinghetti, Gregory Corso, Kenneth Rexroth.

Yes, I refer to authors by their first names.

ayePod

« Reply #6 on: 27 Nov 2005, 19:09 »

I stole 6 Kerouac books from my schools library because noone had checked them out since 1983. I am working my way through the Dharma Bums right now. And then I've got Desolation Angels in my sights.

On The Road is my second favourite book of all time.

ayePod

« Reply #7 on: 27 Nov 2005, 19:13 »

I stole 6 Kerouac books from my schools library because noone had checked them out since 1983. I am working my way through the Dharma Bums right now. And then I've got Desolation Angels in my sights.

ayePod

« Reply #8 on: 27 Nov 2005, 19:13 »

jonny swagger

Re: Can We Just Talk About Jack Kerouac For a Minute?
« Reply #9 on: 01 Dec 2005, 12:47 »

I'm a raging Kerouac fan, actually. So mad props. Visions of Cody was both brilliant and mad. There was one page that consisted of 1 sentence. Actually, once you've read Visions of Cody, Alot of On the Road makes a considerable amount more sense: completely fills in alot of details.

PS now I don't condone illegal activity, but VoC was written while very stoned, and reads much better if you've got a little tea in you. It helps one to keep aligned with the stream of conscious nature of the book.

Actually, if anyone has some books to recommend that aren't Kerouac, but in the same spirt, (not necessarially beatnik books, but books that embrace life for all that it's worth) I'd be most appreciative.

-Jonny

Quote from: Crosseyedstranger
I have read Dharma Bums, On The Road, and Visions of Cody. All were really good, although Visions was really hard to get through. Anyone wanna reccomend some others?

jonny swagger

Re: Can We Just Talk About Jack Kerouac For a Minute?
« Reply #10 on: 01 Dec 2005, 12:47 »

I'm a raging Kerouac fan, actually. So mad props. Visions of Cody was both brilliant and mad. There was one page that consisted of 1 sentence. Actually, once you've read Visions of Cody, On the Road makes a considerable amount more sense: completely fills in alot of details.

PS now I don't condone illegal activity, but VoC was written while very stoned, and reads much better if you've got a little tea in you. It helps one to keep aligned with the stream of conscious nature of the book.

Actually, if anyone has some books to recommend that aren't Kerouac, but in the same spirt, (not necessarially beatnik books, but books that embrace life for all that it's worth) I'd be most appreciative.

-Jonny

Quote from: Crosseyedstranger

Paper Beats Rock

« Reply #11 on: 03 Dec 2005, 16:44 »

I just started On The Road and I'm loving it.  I've got loads of work on so I'm not getting through it very quickly but I'm thinking about cutting out that whole sleeping business to read more.

As Dark Flame said Burroughs is another great beat generation writer.  Maybe it's just me but I find the Keruoac's style reminiscent of Fitzgerald.  People who enjoy this kind of writing would probably like Bukowski and maybe Fante as well.

Kid Modernist

« Reply #12 on: 03 Dec 2005, 18:41 »

I'm reading Desolation Angels right now, after having read a majority of his work and looking forward to it. I must say I'm a little disappointed in it for some reason. Parts of it are really interesting and other parts are really dull. Oh well.

As an aside, the name of this thread really bugs me for a reason I can't quite put my finger on.

jonny swagger

« Reply #13 on: 04 Dec 2005, 01:37 »

Actually, you know who Kerouac's style really reminds me of? Henry Miller, but (slightly) more grounded. But lets face it - Bukowski is excellent his own right.

Drugstory Cowboy or Naked Lunch are quintessential Burroughs.

Quote from: Paper Beats Rock
I just started On The Road and I'm loving it.  I've got loads of work on so I'm not getting through it very quickly but I'm thinking about cutting out that whole sleeping business to read more.

As Dark Flame said Burroughs is another great beat generation writer.  Maybe it's just me but I find the Keruoac's style reminiscent of Fitzgerald.  People who enjoy this kind of writing would probably like Bukowski and maybe Fante as well.

Paper Beats Rock

« Reply #14 on: 04 Dec 2005, 05:39 »

Quote from: jonny swagger

Drugstore cowboy wasn't by Burroughs, it was by a guy called James Fogle.

Unless you're saying that the quintessential Burroughs is his cameo as the junkie priest towards the end of the movie of Drugstore Cowboy?

jonny swagger

« Reply #15 on: 04 Dec 2005, 22:21 »

hahahaha thats what I get for posting kind of drunk. What I was -supposed- to say: Junkie or Naked Lunch.  Guess I put down Drugstore because of his cameo. (which I might add was fantastic for showing just how creepy he really is)

but yeah, Junkie or Naked lunch. I was also really partial to "the priest they called him", the poem he wrote, then recorded a reading of with Kurt Cobain doing noise art in the background.

speaking of beats, does anyone know if Gary Snyder put out anything worth reading?

Quote from: Paper Beats Rock
Quote from: jonny swagger

Drugstore cowboy wasn't by Burroughs, it was by a guy called James Fogle.

Unless you're saying that the quintessential Burroughs is his cameo as the junkie priest towards the end of the movie of Drugstore Cowboy?
Pages: [1]   Go Up