THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 09:43
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: World of Warcraft: Burning Crusade  (Read 10546 times)

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
    • http://www.goat.cx
World of Warcraft: Burning Crusade
« on: 29 Oct 2005, 13:59 »

If you've played WoW, chances are you've seen the details released at Blizzcon about it's first expansion slated for a Dec. 2006 release. Here's a quick over-view of the lowdown.

Level Cap raised to 70
All-new raid dungeons and areas for 61+ characters
Hundreds of new items
Two new races, including Horde's Blood Elf.
Purchasable flying mounts only usable in the new zone available with purchase of expansion

So, what do you think?
also israel

Vlishgnath

Re: World of Warcraft: Burning Crusade
« Reply #1 on: 30 Oct 2005, 12:49 »

Quote from: Trollstormur
So, what do you think?

From the sheer enormity of content they're promising, it looks outstanding.  Now, if they actually come through with all that content, and more than half of it isn't crippled with bugs... that's another story altogether.

The 100 man instance makes me laugh at the absurdity of such a thing.

"We need more lag."

"100 man instance."

"Genius."

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #2 on: 30 Oct 2005, 16:50 »

i am not sure if you are getting that from an official source or not, but the last thing i heard the "100 man raid" idea was just a fansite being a dick and releasing their wet dreams as a "leak".  (this was a 100-man, 50 horde 50 alliance raid on the Lich King.  total bullshit, as he's not even in this expansion)

Vlishgnath

« Reply #3 on: 30 Oct 2005, 17:30 »

Truth, bullshit, whatever it may be...

http://www.goblinworkshop.com/news/story.html?StoryID=699

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
« Reply #4 on: 30 Oct 2005, 19:39 »

1. Blizzard has already stated that the max level is 70. that "article" says 75.

2. That was originally posted by Spybot, a guy with too much time who's fabricated "leaked patch notes" before.

3. THOR!!
also israel

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #5 on: 30 Oct 2005, 20:22 »

yeah, that is the bullshit "leak".  they took what they knew was real to make it seem legit, then added crap on top.

battyone

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #6 on: 30 Oct 2005, 20:50 »

Flying mounts eh?  That should proove interesting, and I feel the 100-pc instance is fabrication; the lag would be astronomical!

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #7 on: 30 Oct 2005, 23:03 »

hello, are you even listening to anything we've said here?  yes, it is all bullshit.  they took what they knew about blood elves and the rest is speculation by a fan with a track record for bullshit.

will: wanton sex god

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #8 on: 31 Oct 2005, 06:35 »

im hoping allies get pandarians or treants.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #9 on: 31 Oct 2005, 15:17 »

at Blizzcon Blizzard said that the Alliance race will not be pandas, but that they are not ready to release the correct details.

Naturally one of the first questions was about the new un-announced Alliance race to be featured in the expansion. Metzen gave no hints, and implied that they're still working out all the details. But he did acknowledge that once everyone hears about the new race, part of it will make sense, and part of it will make everyone go "huh?" ...We can't even speculate. (But it won't be Pandas.)

i hope it's right.  i guess that some people want a joke race running around, but i'm not one of them.  the usual response to this is "what, and a walking cow is better?".   yes, yes it is.  they are fucking minotaurs, with a basis in both greek legend and the lore of the Warcraft world.  the Pandarens were a joke put into the wc3 expansion, and the only reason people like them is because they get drunk.  it's ridiculous.

Samari

« Reply #10 on: 31 Oct 2005, 17:06 »

Pandaren were actually an april fool's day joke before Blizz announced the 4th race in WC3 and have become a running gag

Vlishgnath

« Reply #11 on: 31 Oct 2005, 17:14 »

Behold.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #12 on: 31 Oct 2005, 18:16 »

goddamn furries

will: wanton sex god

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #13 on: 31 Oct 2005, 20:38 »

this is pure speculation (as is everything at this point) but perhaps the new alliance race will include paladins as a class, given the 2:3 pally to shaman ratio

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #14 on: 31 Oct 2005, 22:53 »

it's also been suggested that you can be a Blood Elf paladin, and that the new alliance race, although not Panadaren will be somewhat bestial in nature and thus allow shamen.

i hope not on both counts, but i've heard it mentioned.

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
« Reply #15 on: 01 Nov 2005, 01:03 »

Thinking back to Frozen Throne and Lord of Destruction, I reckon that whatever Blizzard decide to put in the expansion will be well thought-out, balanced, and will work nicely.
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

Samari

« Reply #16 on: 01 Nov 2005, 13:53 »

having the faction only classes cross over really doesn't make any sense and Blizzard seems to want to keep the factions from being mirror images of eachother.  plus the high elves have always been a caster class in all the games.  

as far as the new alliance race goes, there doesn't appear to be any other race from previous games that it would make sense to have as a pally, although it would give another option for the faction class.  whoever the new race is, they're probably gonig to be based out of Kalimdor to even out the locations of capital cities, like they did by putting the blood elves on the eastern continent.    the new race is also going to have to be bipedal to make all of the armor models work out and have two sexes (which rules out Centaurs, Dryads, Satyrs, and Keepers of the Grove).  there are rumors that Pandaren were actually a serious contender to be the new race, but laws in China forbid images of killing pandas or some nonsense so the game would be barred if that were the case.  Finally the new race is going to have to have some reason for going to Outland to tie into the theme of the expansion.  most likely it will be the Draenei but there could be an entirely new race surfacing.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #17 on: 01 Nov 2005, 16:31 »

i'm kind of scared that it's just gonna be either Wildhammer dwarves or High Elves (ie: proper high elves that aren't corrupt like blood elves).  either would be a total cop-out, obviously.

i agree that the Draenei seem like the likely candidates, joining the Alliance because Illidan has gone crazy and they don't want to be enslaved/killed like they were under the Orcs a while ago.  problem with that though is that the starting area would have to be in the Outlands, unless something happens in regards to them settling in a remote region of Kalimdor or something, vowing vengeance on the Orcs that enslaved them.

a believeable alternative that involves the real High Elves is a new settlement in the forested areas of Kalimdor with a high concentration of the uh, moon pond thingies (i forget their name now) that they were searching for (in lore), or perhaps that Dalaran has been rebuilt, and High Elves have been taking shelter there, working with the Dalaran wizards to rebuild.

High Elves don't seem likely though, for one very good reason: Racial distinction.  as it stands it is relatively easy to tell enemies at a glance.  if High Elves are put in alongside their Blood Elf cousins then how are we meant to tell them apart if we have player names turned off?

Wildhammer Dwarves don't seem likely either, because their hometown is already in the game as a neutral settlement.  there could be an offshoot faction set up back in Grim Batol, but the Wetlands is hardly going to be an accomodating host in that regard.

i'm not sure what's going on, but it's probably still about 6mths away, so i'm sure we'll find out more as time goes by

Samari

« Reply #18 on: 01 Nov 2005, 21:53 »

There are two Draenei tribes in the Swamp of Sorrows, one neutral to both faction and one hostile.  So it's possible that more are scattered throughout the world and still holding grudges against the Horde.

Something Witty

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • All roads lead to WAAAGH!
« Reply #19 on: 02 Nov 2005, 07:35 »

I still just want to see the DeathKnight class and a third faction. That would drag me back into WoW so fast that my head would spin.
I see angels on Ariels in leather and chrome, Swooping down from heaven to carry me home.

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
« Reply #20 on: 02 Nov 2005, 12:17 »

Ogres perhaps? They did update the model back what in Dire Maul.
also israel

Samari

« Reply #21 on: 02 Nov 2005, 17:25 »

ogres are too primative to be Alliance.  there are several quests that talk about how dumb they are.

Larkke

« Reply #22 on: 04 Nov 2005, 08:03 »

Quote from: McTaggart
Thinking back to Frozen Throne and Lord of Destruction, I reckon that whatever Blizzard decide to put in the expansion will be well thought-out, balanced, and will work nicely.

Probably not. Look, Blood Elves. Proof enough right there.

Samari

« Reply #23 on: 04 Nov 2005, 08:11 »

I'm confused, how do you know that's proof without the expansion being close to finished, without having played the race and without knowing exactly how it works into the lore?

Sideways

« Reply #24 on: 04 Nov 2005, 12:52 »

All I can say is that I feel Blood Elves were a bit of a cop-out for a new Horde race.  Sort of like taking Night Elves, changing their skin colour/tone, and giving them different racial passive abilities.

Lame.

I was hoping for something completely new.

Like if they made Centaurs a playable Alliance race.  That would be new, and interesting... it wouldn't be like taking orcs, colouring them white, and saying;

"OOOOOOH, LOOOK... the ALBINO ORCS who... umm... split away from the horde... and... umm... reluctantly joined the Alliance... DON'T MOCK US, IT WORKS BEAUTIFULLY INTO THE WoW LORE!!!"

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #25 on: 04 Nov 2005, 18:58 »

at first i felt that the Blood Elves are a little bit of a cop-out also, but if you read some of the stuff coming out about the whole deal you'll see the reasons for it.  have you seen some of the models of the home town?  they are amazing.  you can hardly call it a cop-out because of the player models when you see the amount of work that is going into everything else.  i read an article that said that the models have been redone with more polygons, also, so it's not like they are just re-using the night elves.

i have always loved the High Elves, so i am just happy that they are in the game in some form.  i would rather have High Elves on our side, but people seemed to like the Blood Elves in the WC3 expansion, where they had a pretty major role to play.  they were treated pretty crappily by the alliance and were convinced to leave it.  this was in WC3 not just recently, so that can't really be seen as something made up right now for convenience sake.

as for something weird like the centaurs, they are a no-go because they would need to create duplicate models for every piece of leg and foot armour.  if i remember rightly, something like that would add to the amount of model & texture memory used by the game, which is something that no-one wants.

another reason that the Blood Elves are going to the Horde is to give them an attractive race in an attempt to address the Horde:Alliance balance problems we're seeing on a majority of the servers.  if it helps even shit out and gives us more chances to play BGs then that is a pretty good thing.

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
« Reply #26 on: 04 Nov 2005, 19:18 »

Yea, too bad us allies aren't getting pandarens. Stupid china!!
also israel

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #27 on: 04 Nov 2005, 19:36 »

i'd hate it if we got Pandarens, though.  i just don't like the idea at all.  there is no place in the WC lore for them other than an april fools announcement that turned into a running joke & a cameo in one small tacked-on part of the WC3 expansion.

Maverick

« Reply #28 on: 05 Nov 2005, 02:12 »

pandarens are teh shit! more than just a novelty if you ask me, but i think they would be better suited to the horde.  Played the bonus orc campaign as a part of WC3 expansion? pandarens have a place in the game as much as a goblin if you ask me....dwarves have technical expertise too, but who supplies alcohol?  that aside, the pandaren is an awesome hero.
anyway, on to my rant:
I havn't as yet played WoW, but i have played the warcraft series hitherto....what the hell is with these suggestions? how on earth do centaurs fit with the alliance? same deal with the ogre suggestion.......what the? is it really that hard to figure where a race's alliance would lie?
would like to agree that yes, the blood elves played a large role in WC3 and thus have a place in WC lore. why on earth they are being added to the horde is beyond me, but i guess they have the whole 'thirst for power' thing going.

AbsolootGeek

« Reply #29 on: 08 Nov 2005, 01:36 »

After being essentially treated like slaves by the Alliance, the Blood Elves can't go back to them.  Besides, the Alliance exiled them after they accepted aid from the Naga.  Since the expansion centers on Outland, the Blood Elves that remain in Quel'thalas wish to find a way there to reunite with Prince Kael.  They appeal to the Horde to aid them, particularly to the Forsaken.  The Forsaken and the Blood Elves share some common bonds.  First of all, the Forsaken's leader, Sylvanas Windrunner, is a former High Elf herself.  Both her and the Blood Elves have it in for the Scourge for destroying their homeland of Quel'thalas.  Now there are those who will argue that the Elves and Trolls hate each other.  This is only partly true.  The High Elves and Trolls did war in the past, but those were Forest Trolls.  Technically speaking, the only Trolls in the Horde, the Darkspear tribe, are Jungle Trolls.  No bad blood there.  It's true that Blizzard has said that they wanted a "pretty" race for the Horde, but there's plenty of lore to back it up too.  People have gotta learn to trust Blizzard when it comes to keeping in line with their own lore.

As for the new Alliance race, I'll agree that Draenei seem pretty likely.  The only problem is that they don't really fit in anywhere on Kalimdor.  And to have continental balance for starting areas, the new race should start on Kalimdor.

So my idea for the new Alliance race is Furbolgs.  They can start in the currently closed-off area of Hyjal.  Most of the Furbolgs are corrupted, and the Timbermaw barely trust anyone, but perhaps there is a remaining tribe in Hyjal fighting off the remnants of the Burning Legion's assault on the World Tree.  And since the Furbolgs were always closely aligned with Night Elves before, this new tribe joins the Alliance.  As to how they connect to Outland, well I'm not sure of that.  Not like any of this is up to me anyway. :)

Sideways

« Reply #30 on: 08 Nov 2005, 08:02 »

Perhaps I'm just not a big enough geek, but I really would like to see more dynamic races to be made playable.  Ok, the blood elves fit into the lore, blah blah blah... They have more polygons, blah blah blah.  I (and this is apparantly just me, 'round these parts) don't really care.  I like the Tauren because they're so different!  Playable minotaurs?!  Awesome!  A new type of elf?  Meh.

As for furbolgs as the Alliance race... that would be disappointing.  You know what would be different?  Some sort of reptilian race... not necessarily Lizard men, but something along those lines... as an alliance race.  Want something pretty in the horde?  Give the Alliance something a little more edgy, then!

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #31 on: 08 Nov 2005, 12:13 »

Quote from: Maverick
pandarens are teh shit! more than just a novelty if you ask me, but i think they would be better suited to the horde.  Played the bonus orc campaign as a part of WC3 expansion? pandarens have a place in the game as much as a goblin if you ask me....dwarves have technical expertise too, but who supplies alcohol?  that aside, the pandaren is an awesome hero.

i really, strongly disagree.  there have been goblins in WC2 and 3.  they were playable in 2, but i think they left the horde mostly in 3 and were just in those shops that you could find.  if you want a Pandaren in the game someplace then great, put an NPC in someplace in Dustwallow Marsh selling alcohol or something.  again, i don't think that one appearance in a tiny section of the add-on warrants an entire new race.  i don't want to see player goblins either, by the way.  they are a neutral race who only care about engineering and money.

as for the reptilian race, i have the same reservations with that as i would with a cat-person race that all the anime fanboys seem to ask for.  both Everquest and the Elder Scrolls series have done both races first, as well as FFXI doing the cats, and you just know that people will draw similarities.   perhaps if they did it really differently then people would not feel so cheated, but there is only so many ways you can do reptiles.  ie: agile, higher ac due to scaly skin, perhaps a natural affinity with either arcane or bestial magics, depending on what type of reptilian race it is, ie: advanced intelligence or not.

the really neat thing about the Minotaur being a playable race is that i am not sure we've ever had one as a playable race in another game.  i mean, they have always been around as bad guys, but to my knowledge never playable.  

the Furbolgs might be a good idea, i dunno!  apparently they were peaceful before the coming of the Burning Legion, so perhaps they could be implemented in such a way as AbsolootGeek suggests.  one thing i see with that is that they would almost certainly have Shamen, and if Blizzard did that then they'd need to give Blood Elves paladins to even things up.  some might see that as a good thing, ala balancing the two sides a bit more with shaman and paladins, but as Samari pointed out, others may see it as removing some of the uniqueness of choosing one side or the other.

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
« Reply #32 on: 08 Nov 2005, 12:18 »

as it stands, if horde could be paladins, no one would be shamans. except for like, grounding totem, they have nothing on paladins, I'm afraid.
also israel

Maverick

« Reply #33 on: 08 Nov 2005, 18:38 »

once again, try and consider the lore....even a little? please?
how does a paladin fit with the horde? tell me how.  without creating some elaborate "terribly grasping at staws" scenario, i cannot see how you can justify something as uniquely 'Alliance' as a paladin being available with the horde.
unless you were refering to something that is very similar to the paladin (a horde equivalent that i'm not aware of).

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
« Reply #34 on: 08 Nov 2005, 19:00 »

who are you talking to, me or Trollstormur?  neither of us suggested that the Horde should have paladins, we were both of us talking hypotheticals.  you'll note that my line about giving Blood Elves paladins (and it would have to be Blood Elves, because i agree that no other horde race comes anywhere close to fitting in with the paladin requirements) was basically put in to illustrate the difficulties that Blizzard would face if the Furbolg were introduced.

also, can people stop getting snooty and telling people to read the lore?  some of us have, others haven't.  just because they haven't doesn't make them stupid, so it'd be nice to stop treating them as if they are.
Pages: [1]   Go Up