THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Apr 2024, 00:49
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: forum's stance on sharing music?  (Read 8689 times)

LIVE!Forever

forum's stance on sharing music?
« on: 15 Dec 2005, 03:14 »

hi all,

i was wondering, since there is a thread about leaked albums, what is this forum's stance on sharing leaked albums, or sharing albums in general? i see a lot of people always trying to find it using conventional means, when the possibility of someone already having it is pretty high. a lot of forums/people upload albums to send to other people, just wonderin what the general feeling about this is here.

yelley

• The Neighbor of the Beast
  • i believe in knitting.
    • it's peanut butter yelley time
« Reply #1 on: 15 Dec 2005, 04:16 »

cds are over 3000 yen here. that's about 30 us dollars. no way am i buying cds while i'm here, but i'm not going to live without new music either.

if it's a band that i really like, then i'll buy the cd.
Quote from: tommy
you do lurk below the surface of the forum, emerging occasionally to pluck a young man from our ranks before plunging back into the murky depths from whence you came
Quote from: J0n
You are pretty totally creepshow, yelley

normz

« Reply #2 on: 15 Dec 2005, 04:33 »

i think of downloading as sort of a try before you buy type thing..... if i really love the artist then i will definately buy their cd but i don't buy every single albumn i listen to (considering i download almost an albumn a day of late) also for those who argue that dowloading is 'taking money away from artists' i think that's stupid because the artists themselves dont make that much money from the sale of an albumn but if it's merch and show tickets that i buy because i really liked the band my mate told me to download well then yeah their getting more of my money.... (having said that i do still buy heaps of music .... i think im just a sucker for cool albumn art and packaging)

Not An Addict

« Reply #3 on: 15 Dec 2005, 06:30 »

Yeah, downloading lets me sample something before I buy it. I need CD-quality audio, so these 128k album leaks do me no good whatsoever.

öde

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
« Reply #4 on: 15 Dec 2005, 07:19 »

I don't have the money to buy cds, so I sometimes download things (1.5k songs and counting). Naughty me :(

Mnementh

« Reply #5 on: 15 Dec 2005, 07:30 »

As a mod my stance is that you can talk about leaked albums all you want, but if anyone links one or provides explicit instructions on how to find said album, I'm going to lock the thread or at least delete the link.

Due diligence and all that.

As a person, I could give a fuck, especially if it is something I can't easily find in the states (royksopp, muph & plutonic, etc)

I'm staying out of the mogwai thread because I knew about the album well before jeph's news post.

rive gauche

« Reply #6 on: 15 Dec 2005, 07:46 »

I wish I didn't download music. Not because I think there is anything wrong with it, but I just miss buying albums not knowing what to expect and being totally blown away. However, sometimes albums are not so good and thus, a waste of money. It's quite the conundrum.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #7 on: 15 Dec 2005, 08:41 »

There is a 'forum stance,' everyone thinks differently.

Frankly, I'm against it. I'm a hypocrite, yes, because I still occasionally download individual tracks. I also have a shitload of downloaded albums because I used to not give a shit.

But now, as a songwriter myself, I think that I'd be pretty pissed if someone didn't go out and buy my albums. So almost every penny I make is spent on CDs - every time I buy one that I don't have, I get two cheap ones I've already got on MP3.

I love music, and since it's basically my life, I think I should pay for it.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

HeroX

« Reply #8 on: 15 Dec 2005, 11:55 »

i wasn't even going to mention the leaked mogwai cd until jeph brought it up. i kind of went out on a limb in uploading it and i apologize if that was against forum policy.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #9 on: 15 Dec 2005, 13:01 »

Quote from: HeroX
i wasn't even going to mention the leaked mogwai cd until jeph brought it up. i kind of went out on a limb in uploading it and i apologize if that was against forum policy.

There is no forum policy, and if there was one it'd be pro-uploading anyway going on the opinions of the regs I've seen.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

pat101

• 1-800-SCABIES
    • A Minor Mass
« Reply #10 on: 15 Dec 2005, 15:33 »

See I live in small town Canada, and don't really have the resources to go 'record shopping' whenever I'd like. Our CD store is crap at best, so I'm forced to download and download I do.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
« Reply #11 on: 15 Dec 2005, 15:35 »

I download quite frequently, but only to sample the music. If I enjoy it, I will almost always go back and buy it.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

LIVE!Forever

« Reply #12 on: 15 Dec 2005, 16:37 »

So from the responses i'm getting the feeling that most don't mind sharing/downloading music but the official response is that this board frowns upon it, probably for legal reasons

surgerydrugsnrocknroll

« Reply #13 on: 15 Dec 2005, 17:00 »

i would rather buy a ticket to a show, and maybe buy a shirt directly from them, than buy a cd for a band.

also, i would not know about 95% of the bands i know of if not for filesharing, and i probably wouldnt listen to music at all if not for filesharing.
every band ive ever bought merchandise from, i have previously downloaded their music.

eyepatch

« Reply #14 on: 15 Dec 2005, 19:13 »

true, it could even be arguable that the sharing of music is beneficial to the industry.. even if it is a long shot :D

surgerydrugsnrocknroll

« Reply #15 on: 15 Dec 2005, 19:38 »

Quote from: eyepatch
true, it could even be arguable that the sharing of music is beneficial to the industry.. even if it is a long shot :D

i forget where,
but there was a study showing that, for smaller bands, filesharing increases their sales, while for big artists, it decreases sales, which makes perfect sense.

eyepatch

« Reply #16 on: 15 Dec 2005, 19:42 »

so file sharing is morally correct! :D
I still feel guilty for not buying as many albums as I should, though

LIVE!Forever

« Reply #17 on: 15 Dec 2005, 20:27 »

Quote from: surgerydrugsnrocknroll

i forget where,
but there was a study showing that, for smaller bands, filesharing increases their sales, while for big artists, it decreases sales, which makes perfect sense.

i've read about that but when i think about it, sometimes it is so hard to get an album from a smaller band that you and many others end up downloading it and never buying anything from the band.

surgerydrugsnrocknroll

« Reply #18 on: 15 Dec 2005, 20:31 »

Quote from: LIVE!Forever
Quote from: surgerydrugsnrocknroll

i forget where,

i've read about that but when i think about it, sometimes it is so hard to get an album from a smaller band that you and many others end up downloading it and never buying anything from the band.

the way i see it though,
is that small bands gain so much exposure from filesharing, its almost like free advertising, imo.

Rizzo

• Bling blang blong blung
  • R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
« Reply #19 on: 16 Dec 2005, 02:40 »

My personal code is a bit odd.
I figure if an artist has enough money to advertise on TV or popular radio then they're probably earning heaps and don't need my money. Therefore I'll burn them. For instance Muse and Placebo are really awesome in my opinion but I only burn them. This because I should be spending my money on smaller bands who actually need the money to tour and so on.
If I hear a more obscure (eg not on music TV or corporate radio) band I like then I'll look for mp3s. I usually get 2 or 3. If I like all of them then I WILL buy an album within a month.
I don't usually buy albums without having heard some songs by the artist beforehand though.
There are a few things that break this rules, for instance I have burned the entire back catalogue of Shai Hulud and never brought anything. I'm not proud of this. I did go to their show though. Shook the singers hand. I will buy something one day. It's just impossibly hard to find their stuff in NZ. Just not right now.
The same goes for Covenant.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Sometimes I feel like everyone around me is some sort of statistical/mathematical genuis and I'm hitting a gazelle in the head with a rock and screaming at the sky when there's a storm.

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
    • http://www.goat.cx
« Reply #20 on: 16 Dec 2005, 02:48 »

If I bought every album I've ever downloaded and listened to once, I'd be thousands of dollars in debt.
also israel

Butt_Munki

« Reply #21 on: 16 Dec 2005, 03:30 »

I think like everyone, I've downloaded before I bought. But the thing with living in Australia is that you're limited to what either Sanity/Trax or your local (and groovy) Ye Olde CD Shoppe sells and imports- and there are NO indie CDs. I generally buy my CD's online, to get what I want, but it's an expensive habit. Being a bum, I use this to rationalise the fact I download mp3's.

However, now, there's a TONNE of sites dedicated to providing free mp3's legally, and many are indie artists. I don't think you can get much better than that. So now I only limit myself to those sites. No more KaZaa Lite for me. :D

AdamIsConceited

« Reply #22 on: 16 Dec 2005, 05:17 »

What I'm wondering is about sites like Napster/Yahoo that let you get as many songs as you want for $5 a month.  Tell me how that's benefiting the particular artists if you're not buying it from them?  Do those sites give money to the record companies or what?  I haven't looked into it enough...

Anyway, I have well over 5 thousand songs on my computer.  I'd say only about 400 are actual songs that I've purchased/ripped from a cd that I own.  If I like an artist enough I'll get the cd/merchandise to support them.

lastclearchance

• Furry furrier
« Reply #23 on: 16 Dec 2005, 10:13 »

I have 20 GB of music, 75% of which is out of print, available online, or purchased. Within a month it should be more like 80%. I'm just too broke right this second.

Of course, most of the music that I don't own I've gotten from mp3 blogs and just haven't listened enough to decide if I want to buy or delete yet.

I mean, it seems like we're all along those lines. I mean, I spend most of my non-food, non-gasoline money on music.

But it occurs to me now that the artists most people feel least concerned about stealing are those through whose album sales major labels make the most money. So I guess that partially accounts for the disparity between reality and the RIAA's perception thereof.
zekterellium: was kant the guy, that if you thought you were doing the right thing, even if you were feeding sailors to werewolves, then it was the right thing?
Moiche: Err. . . .no I think that's Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

noirony

« Reply #24 on: 16 Dec 2005, 19:07 »

Yup. I think downloading is an awesome way to sample music and find the bands that you really like, bands that you wouldn't have heard of otherwise. I always buy records when I really enjoy the band and if I have spare cash.

eternie

« Reply #25 on: 16 Dec 2005, 20:48 »

I haven't downloaded for years, but I wanted some songs off an album I couldn't find anywhere. Online or off. Tis cheating but I was really needing that music.

I spend all my money that's not food/clothes/essentials on CD's or music-related goods. And seeing as I just got my trust fund, that's around £200 in the past fortnight alone.

In comparison, I don't think the music industry is losing any money through me.

amok

• Duck attack survivor
  • low AI ketamine android
« Reply #26 on: 17 Dec 2005, 07:05 »

most of my albums are downloaded purely because I find out about far more awesome bands than I can afford to buy CDs for. selfish, yeah. plus the fuckin' things are way overpriced in most stores

however I go to as many gigs as possible and I hear bands make more money from that than the meagre few pence they get paid for album sales, so that kinda soothes my conscience

Temperamental

« Reply #27 on: 17 Dec 2005, 10:40 »

I used to buy CDs often, but I've decided that I'd rather use the money for things like concerts and T-shirts. If I download a couple of albums, I could afford to see a show I otherwise would not have gone to. So I've pretty much decided to go to every concert I like the band of and never purchase a CD again. Surprisingly, that ends up costing me more...concerts are damn expensive. But it's a hell of a lot more satisfying. I can get the CD for free and see the band's show, but I can't see the show for free and buy the CD.

Giantandre

« Reply #28 on: 18 Dec 2005, 00:27 »

I thought alot about this thread last night when I went to the Explosions In The Sky show in Los Angeles (The were as expected; Awesome) ...

How would I have ever heard about this band w/o file sharing...No Radio ever plays them...I'm not going to buy a 16 dollar CD because a critic tells me how great they are...I've been burned by that too many times...

The way I found them was a friend gave me a copy of Godspeed You Black Emporer's F#A#oo.....I started loving that ....I wore that copy into the ground....started looking for other "post-rock" artists (I hate the term post rock) ---- Downloaded "The Earth is Not A Cold Dead Place"  and so on.....

Now I figured I did my part by Buying a ticket, a shirt for my brother, and a LP of The Earth....

Smaller band needsfile sharing to build an auidence ---- Big Bands only make .25 to a dollar a CD so they cant care that much......Its big record companies ...and screw them ....

JodyAnthony

« Reply #29 on: 18 Dec 2005, 09:08 »

I downloaded the entire Mountain Goats discography. But that's only until I can find some of the albums. Alot of the albums you cant find anywhere though, so if I didn't download them, I never would of heard them.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #30 on: 18 Dec 2005, 09:34 »

Let's put this into perspective; I like realyl weird music. Beefheart, Zappa, Residents, alot of prog rock, etc.

I live in Kansas. People in Kansas generally aren't super big on that kind of stuff. In LA? I might find some. Here? Oh, shit no. If I do find it? It's out of that little pile in the budget "Nobody knows what the hell this shit is" box and into my hands.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

LIVE!Forever

« Reply #31 on: 18 Dec 2005, 22:38 »

i thought about this a lot and it's a conundrum. first of all, i read somewhere that the arcade fire sold about 200,000 copies of Funeral. this might be the album of their career, and it's sold relatively few copies. the live shows are always packed thuogh, and that most likely means that they could have sold half a million if there was no such thing as downloading. so in a way, downloading also hurts the smaller guys because as many people lament, it's hard to find their albums. on the other hand, the hype does set them up for more album sales for their next record, if it doesn't suck. interpol didn't sell too many copies of "turn on the bright lights" but did sell more of "antics" even though imo "antics" was worse.

the whole "i dl because my record store doesn't carry them" is starting to make less sense, because you can order a lot of those artists's album online. the biggest obstacles in this is probably that it takes a few days for you to get the album while downloading is right there in front of you. it's pretty tempting.

for the record, i do download a lot and i buy maybe 3-6 albums a month if i like what i hear first.

Tago Mago

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #32 on: 18 Dec 2005, 23:12 »

I buy a lot and download a lot. It's honestly not something I really worry about, especially since most of the music I listen to these days is by old, retired prog-rockers or dead jazz musicians.
Pages: [1]   Go Up