THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Apr 2024, 06:28
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: lessons  (Read 4367 times)

heretic

lessons
« on: 11 Nov 2005, 13:53 »

ok, so i got a call yesterday from my friend at guitar center (woke me up too, the bastard) and he said they just lost a bunch of thier music teachers becasue they took all the clients and opened their own shop.
he put me through to the supervisonr or whatever i went in for an interview today.
i'd taught a class in highschool when the teacher moved away and they had noone else, but that was really informal and a bunch of the kids didn't really do anything. it was just a periosd to screw around on the guitars and try to learn a song for the christmas show.
but now i'm going to teach beginning guitar at guitar center, and i was hoping to draw from this weath of knowledge for any suggestions on songs, drills, or techniques to teach these kids. i've already decided i'm gonna leave a lot of it up to them, but i should have something in case the kid has no clue. i remember some stretching excercizes and easy warm-ups from the short time we actually had a teacher, but other than that all i can think of is teach them songs they bring in. maybe get a feel for what they like and suggest some stuff.
any ideas?

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
lessons
« Reply #1 on: 11 Nov 2005, 15:13 »

Well find out what they like.

Depending on the type of music they like, songs by Blink 182, Green Day, White Stripes or The Cure might be nice starter tracks.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
lessons
« Reply #2 on: 11 Nov 2005, 15:47 »

I teach guitar for money and I'm having minor success, so uh here's my advice:

1) Before they learn a single song, get them to learn their chords (Full list of what I teach my students: E, Em, G, A, Am, C, D, Dm and every relative seventh).  I know you said you want to leave it up to them but honestly they deserve a firm foundation, plus it helps you teach them later on. As well, show them how to read chording sheets.

2) After that, teach 'em tabulature and all the associated techniques - hammer-ons, taps, stuff like that.

Those two easy steps should supply you with about two months worth of lesson plans if you draw them up in a manner that gives the kids both time and fun. While you're teaching them those basics, throw songs in. Find out what they like and supply them with chord sheets and, later, tabs for them.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

ForteBass

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
lessons
« Reply #3 on: 11 Nov 2005, 19:43 »

I also highly reccomend running scales with them. Even the rudimentary major and minor scales (Hell, even modal scales) provides a strong foundation.
Quote from: Eris
Man, Friday night and I'm drawing tacos to post on the internet. I need another drink.

La Creme

lessons
« Reply #4 on: 11 Nov 2005, 20:03 »

Do not let them play Stairway. Seriously.

Everything's been covered, but:
Get them to start improvising and writing as early as you think they are capable.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
lessons
« Reply #5 on: 11 Nov 2005, 20:46 »

Quote from: DynamiteKid
Songs by Blink 182 and Green Day might be nice starter tracks.

No. NO. Bad! We will not spread crappy pop-punk guitar playing.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
lessons
« Reply #6 on: 12 Nov 2005, 09:57 »

Quote from: Storm Rider

Oh fuck off. They're nice easy songs to start playing, half the kids will love those bands anyway and it's instant gratification. Plus they can show their mates 'hey, look what I can play!'

ForteBass

lessons
« Reply #7 on: 12 Nov 2005, 10:01 »

He makes a good point. Teaching kids songs you like can be helpful, but you also have to teach them ones they want to know.
Man, Friday night and I'm drawing tacos to post on the internet. I need another drink.

La Creme

lessons
« Reply #8 on: 12 Nov 2005, 18:14 »

My first 3 songs were by Sum 41, System Of A Down, and Sugarray. I now play predominantly jazz and mad-psychedelic experimental stuff. Your roots in learning an instrument really won't affect what you'll play later; what you listen to will.

Storm Rider

• Older than Moses
  • Twelve stories high, made of radiation
lessons
« Reply #9 on: 12 Nov 2005, 18:21 »

I was kidding. Chill.
[22:06] Shane: We only had sex once
[22:06] Shane: and she was wicked just...lay there

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
lessons
« Reply #10 on: 13 Nov 2005, 07:04 »

I was kidding. Chill.

1. Saying 'chill' to someone who's pissed off is just asking for a punch in the face. It's only slightly better than 'take a chill pill, Bill' or 'calm down dear, it's only a commercial.'

2. Using the word 'fuck' does not an unchilled person make.

HeroX

lessons
« Reply #11 on: 13 Nov 2005, 10:34 »

i taught guitar lessons for a while (back when i had the time) and the number 1 problem you'll run into is that anyone just starting out will have a hell of a time getting their fingers to work properly. you could make them walk scales if you want, but what i used to do was just make them work the first four frets. ie:
e|-------------------------------------------------1-2-3-4--|
B|----------------------------------------1-2-3-4-----------|
G|------------------------------1-2-3-4---------------------|
D|--------------------1-2-3-4-------------------------------|
A|-----------1-2-3-4-----------------------------------------|
E|--1-2-3-4--------------------------------------------------|

i'd get my students to do that ascending and descending, starting off really slow and then speading up the tempo. then we'd mix it up.
ex: 1-3-2-4 or 1-4-2-3

it doesnt sound as pretty as scales, but it saves trying to teach them theory before they've even gotten to know their guitar. it'll loosen up their fingers and get them comfortable with the strings and feel of the neck.

this exercise never wears out it's use either. i still do it before playing a show to warm up my fingers.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
lessons
« Reply #12 on: 13 Nov 2005, 11:44 »

Quote from: HeroX
i taught guitar lessons for a while (back when i had the time) and the number 1 problem you'll run into is that anyone just starting out will have a hell of a time getting their fingers to work properly. you could make them walk scales if you want, but what i used to do was just make them work the first four frets. ie:
e|-------------------------------------------------1-2-3-4--|
B|----------------------------------------1-2-3-4-----------|
G|------------------------------1-2-3-4---------------------|
D|--------------------1-2-3-4-------------------------------|
A|-----------1-2-3-4-----------------------------------------|
E|--1-2-3-4--------------------------------------------------|

i'd get my students to do that ascending and descending, starting off really slow and then speading up the tempo. then we'd mix it up.
ex: 1-3-2-4 or 1-4-2-3

it doesnt sound as pretty as scales, but it saves trying to teach them theory before they've even gotten to know their guitar. it'll loosen up their fingers and get them comfortable with the strings and feel of the neck.

this exercise never wears out it's use either. i still do it before playing a show to warm up my fingers.

Got to vouch for these exercises, they helped me a whole load.

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
lessons
« Reply #13 on: 13 Nov 2005, 13:06 »

Sweet, this is like free lessons for me. Life ist gut.
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

ForteBass

lessons
« Reply #14 on: 13 Nov 2005, 22:21 »

I concur on that one. That little lesson can totally help me out!

ImRonBurgundy?

• Bling blang blong blung
  • "That's all," he added.
lessons
« Reply #15 on: 14 Nov 2005, 00:41 »

so give 'em some good pop-punk instead.  Screeching Weasel, The Queers, etc.  woo-ha!
You just came back to shit in my heart, didn't you Ryan?

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
lessons
« Reply #16 on: 15 Nov 2005, 15:52 »

Go Screeching Weasel! My Braint Hurts is easily one of the greatest albums of my childhood.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.
Pages: [1]   Go Up