THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 20 Apr 2024, 02:54
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire  (Read 21872 times)

Mnementh

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
« on: 16 Nov 2005, 11:19 »

It's almost time for the Tri-Wizard Tournement!  I have tickets for friday evening!

This shall be a thread for discussion of the movie.

Aphi

« Reply #1 on: 16 Nov 2005, 11:24 »

Heeheeheehee.

Why the borderline-vicious laughter? I've been following this movie's progression for months.

Guess what?

They kept the ferret scene. THEY KEPT THE FERRET SCENE!!!!!! DO YOU  KNOW WHAT THIS MEANS??? HOORAY!

Back to speaking decently, I'm a wee bit upset with the soundtrack so far, and from what I've heard, the Weird Sisters might REALLY suck. Other than that, it's bound to be amazing. First American director of the films, I think.

Sideways

« Reply #2 on: 16 Nov 2005, 12:12 »

I'll be taking Aphi to see this on Saturday!

Saturday... the day of Harry Potter, newts, and dinner with my parents!

LiterSize

• Curry sauce
« Reply #3 on: 16 Nov 2005, 12:20 »

So Aphi's meeting the family? (If she hasn't already?)  Hooray!

And the movie does look hella cool... usually I wait for HP movies to come to video/cable, but I just might make an exception sinthe GoF was the most action packed in my opinion.

Sideways

« Reply #4 on: 16 Nov 2005, 12:23 »

She already has... all introductions to friends/family are done now.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #5 on: 16 Nov 2005, 12:50 »

I am a little excited about this movie as well, a little bit because I liked th ebook so much and a little bit because the dragons look pretty cool in the previews.  Oh and spoiler, Cedric dies!

Stifled Dreams

« Reply #6 on: 16 Nov 2005, 13:05 »

I'm looking forward to it. I think it'll be fun, and I like the theme song. I'm going to see it with my parents or my friend and her parents or something. Family movie time! Which reminds me, it's rated PG-13 here in the US, I wonder how that will affect ticket sales.

Also, Johnny Greenwood is in it! Does that make it the most indie Harry Potter movie thus-far?

Aphi

« Reply #7 on: 16 Nov 2005, 13:28 »

Er....well, seeing as Harry Potter can't really get indie... you know, being what is possibly the most popular book/movie combo in the world at the moment... sure, whynot.

Oh, Kev? I'm buying my own ticket, so there. And if you don't let me, I'll purposely sit between two snotty kids so you can't sit next to me without suffocating one of them.

Stifled Dreams

« Reply #8 on: 16 Nov 2005, 13:32 »

I was thinking about ironic it was, hee. :) Didn't really make that clear, though.

And hooray for buying your own ticket?

Valrus

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • moo hoo ha ha
« Reply #9 on: 16 Nov 2005, 13:37 »

Quote from: Stifled Dreams
Also, Johnny Greenwood is in it! Does that make it the most indie Harry Potter movie thus-far?

It might, if Jonny Greenwood were, like, at all indie at this point.
Quote from: Johnny C
Whatever you give up for Lent, it better not be your day job.

Stifled Dreams

« Reply #10 on: 16 Nov 2005, 13:47 »

Also a good point. But I hope I haven't derailed the thread early on, so I have a question: is this the first movie with the new Dumbledore? I really liked Richard Harris, it is pretty sad that he died. I'm not sure if he was in the third one, though.

Sideways

« Reply #11 on: 16 Nov 2005, 14:02 »

Quote from: Aphi
Er....well, seeing as Harry Potter can't really get indie... you know, being what is possibly the most popular book/movie combo in the world at the moment... sure, whynot.

Oh, Kev? I'm buying my own ticket, so there. And if you don't let me, I'll purposely sit between two snotty kids so you can't sit next to me without suffocating one of them.

It will be hard to buy your own ticket... WITH NO HANDS!

MWA HA HA HA HA!

*begins sharpening his knife*

0_o

No, seriously now... we agreed that I was going to treat you to this movie, so *I* am buying your ticket.  If you want to sit between snotty kids, fine... I'll simply sit /on/ one of them.  The world won't miss one snotty kid.

messeduplilkid

• Larger than most fish
    • TheRoarer.
« Reply #12 on: 16 Nov 2005, 19:46 »

I'll be at the midnight showing ^_^.

EJ

Maui

« Reply #13 on: 16 Nov 2005, 20:49 »

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH IM SO EXCITED. This is by far my favorite book so far!

Its playing at an IMAX theater near us. How awesome, especially for tri wizard eh. My bro, his gf and i are going to see it sometime next week hopefully. AHHHHH cant wait.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #14 on: 16 Nov 2005, 21:23 »

people that are going at midnight should dress up because it makes the night better some how

Kthak

« Reply #15 on: 16 Nov 2005, 22:40 »

Heeheeheehee.

Why the borderline-vicious laughter? I've been following this movie's progression for months.

Guess what?

They kept the ferret scene. THEY KEPT THE FERRET SCENE!!!!!! DO YOU  KNOW WHAT THIS MEANS??? HOORAY!

Back to speaking decently, I'm a wee bit upset with the soundtrack so far, and from what I've heard, the Weird Sisters might REALLY suck. Other than that, it's bound to be amazing. First American director of the films, I think.

I've got the full video for the ferret scene if anyone wants it (I can post it to my webserver).

And this is the first British director, not the first American.

Madbrood

« Reply #16 on: 17 Nov 2005, 04:13 »

I'm not much of a Potter fan, BUT...

I do rather want to go see this movie :D Perhaps this will be the straw that breaks the camel's back, and makes me read the books.

Also: Goblet of Fire trailer in 720p High Def = mMmMmMm

-Mike

CHEESEGOD

« Reply #17 on: 17 Nov 2005, 06:51 »

I have a question: is this the first movie with the new Dumbledore? I really liked Richard Harris, it is pretty sad that he died. I'm not sure if he was in the third one, though.

Dumbledore died?!??!?!

Bad taste?

On another note, I strongly dislike the Harry Potter movies so far.

lastclearchance

• Furry furrier
« Reply #18 on: 17 Nov 2005, 08:08 »

Yeah, his son Joaquin Phoenix killed him right after the invasion of Britain.

The other Dumbledore was in the third one.

Also, the Weird Sisters' songs were legally available online, so I can, within my legal rights, offer anyone a copy of that legally available online content for those who want to hear the three songs. Just PM me.
zekterellium: was kant the guy, that if you thought you were doing the right thing, even if you were feeding sailors to werewolves, then it was the right thing?
Moiche: Err. . . .no I think that's Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Kthak

« Reply #19 on: 17 Nov 2005, 15:41 »

I got my ticket for tonight at midnight.... w00t! They were sold out but had just opened a fifth theatre to show it in. Roxxor

And Joss Whedon has mentioned he would like to direct the 7th HP movie.

How cool would that be?

Micolithe

« Reply #20 on: 17 Nov 2005, 17:01 »

is this the first movie with the new Dumbledore?
Nope. The third movie had the new one, and in my opinion that's the best one so far.

*insert silly name here*

« Reply #21 on: 17 Nov 2005, 17:09 »

Im psyched to see it, not my favorite book, but I liked it berr than 1-3, and hell the movie has Gary Oldman so it can't be bad.  I think I'll wait a week, last thime i went to an opening of one of there movies at leat three little kids tried to put spells on me.

p.s. I think one might have suceeded, the alternative is a new phenomenon called "Spontaneus growth of 24 extra legs"

Kthak

« Reply #22 on: 17 Nov 2005, 17:45 »

Quote from: *insert silly name here*
Im psyched to see it, not my favorite book, but I liked it berr than 1-3, and hell the movie has Gary Oldman so it can't be bad.  I think I'll wait a week, last thime i went to an opening of one of there movies at leat three little kids tried to put spells on me.

p.s. I think one might have suceeded, the alternative is a new phenomenon called "Spontaneus growth of 24 extra legs"

The movie has one scene with Gary Oldman, and all that it shows is his face made out of embers of a fire (not in the flames as written in the book).

*insert silly name here*

« Reply #23 on: 17 Nov 2005, 17:55 »

well thats pretty lame, Oldman is SO less on fire than he should be.

Lunchbox

• Lovecraftian nightmare
  • Resident Beard Advisor
    • Tiger Darling
« Reply #24 on: 17 Nov 2005, 20:26 »

I'm sure we don't get it till December 1st.
DAMN YOU, SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE!

Kthak

« Reply #25 on: 18 Nov 2005, 04:57 »

It was really good though. I very much enjoyed it and can't wait for the next movie to come out, hopefully next year.

LiterSize

• Curry sauce
« Reply #26 on: 18 Nov 2005, 09:29 »

I <3 the movie.  It really struck a nerve with me during the dance scenes (not being so smooth with the ladies, m'self at that age) and laughed loudly at the three girls sitting at the top of the steps and crying.  My friend noted that the film felt quite choppy, whereas in the past films you really got a feel for the passage of time, not so much this time around.  The trials, the other students, it was all really good.  I almost wish they had cut it into two parts.

And I hate that scene with Cedric.  I hated it in the books, and I hate it even more now that I've seen it visualized.  More to come.

scrub

« Reply #27 on: 19 Nov 2005, 11:44 »

This movie was SO GOOD!  Definitely the best of the Potter movies.

I was pretty disappointed with the whole 'lava face' thing.  I was really hoping that it would be more like The Wizard of Oz.

My favorite scene was definitely the graveyard scene.. I was laughing the entire time.  Poor Cedric.. I would've cried, but He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named look so awesome..

Such a good movie!!!

keyoung

• Plantmonster
« Reply #28 on: 19 Nov 2005, 13:58 »

Richard Harris made a much better Dumbledore; Michael Gambon plays him too mean.  Dumbledore should be kind, avuncular and a little goofy.  He has absolutely no need to be loud or mean because we all know he could kill you like that.

scrub

« Reply #29 on: 19 Nov 2005, 15:05 »

I agree, Richard Harris was a better Dumbledore.  He gave that all-knowing feeling, whereas Michael Gambon was far too aggressive.

AbsolootGeek

« Reply #30 on: 20 Nov 2005, 01:14 »

I loved the movie!  I thought each of the three tasks was done just right.  I only wish that elaborated on Rita Skeeter's part in the movie a bit more.  But Mad Eye Moody was absolutely brilliant!

And it may interest most of you to know that all the central actors have already signed on for the fifth movie and will be in production for it very soon, if not already.

messeduplilkid

• Larger than most fish
    • TheRoarer.
« Reply #31 on: 20 Nov 2005, 08:52 »

Quote from: AbsolootGeek
I loved the movie!  I thought each of the three tasks was done just right.  I only wish that elaborated on Rita Skeeter's part in the movie a bit more.  But Mad Eye Moody was absolutely brilliant!

And it may interest most of you to know that all the central actors have already signed on for the fifth movie and will be in production for it very soon, if not already.

Hmm, I have to disagree. I think the Maze definitly was lacking. I mean, i wanted to see a Spynx and another ginormous spider! But the Avada Kadava was done perfectly. Definitly one of my favorite scenes.

Also on the other note, I completly agree about how Dumbledore was played to agressively

RedLeather

« Reply #32 on: 20 Nov 2005, 16:30 »

Ooo, I saw this movie, I liked the Scene were Dermstrang (..Not even attemtping to spell it right) Was introduced...pretty flames and sparks!

Vlishgnath

« Reply #33 on: 20 Nov 2005, 16:48 »

Voldemort looked fuckin awesome.

neomang5

• Curry sauce
  • Machine of Rage and Hate
« Reply #34 on: 21 Nov 2005, 05:57 »

I DISAGREE

I did enjoy the movie but i had some SERIOUS problems with it.
Near the beginning, i was ready to just walk out. I mean what the hell happened to the flow of time? There was no elaboration on anything but the tourney, and there were at least 3 major characters and their corresponding roles cut from the movie.

That being said, i did enjoy the tasks, and tried to ignore the flaws, therefore i generally had a good time. Voldemort was pretty cool, though noseless, and the girl i brought with me cried during Cedric's death scene.

The next book ought to be done in 2 parts, or be 4 hours long.
i don't understand why you're implying that i have to come to terms with your crippling failings as a person

Sideways

« Reply #35 on: 21 Nov 2005, 08:26 »

I found the movie was rushed, certain unimportant scenes carried on longer than they needed to.  The passage of time in the movie was somewhat ubiquitous... and I didn't get a sense that these kids were in a 'school' really.  There was so little focus on that.  One of the things that has made the books more 'real' is by mixing the fantasy/magic elements in with the everyday dolldrum of homework and such.  A few of the scenes could have been shot with them sitting down, pouring over books/homework, having the plot-important discussions, like in the movies...

Maybe that's a minor gripe, I don't know.

The effects were very good, but I just didn't find myself as impressed this time.

The 3rd film captured the book almost perfectly, and this one didn't seem to have the same impact.

Micolithe

« Reply #36 on: 21 Nov 2005, 10:21 »

Quote from: Sideways
I found the movie was rushed, certain unimportant scenes carried on longer than they needed to.  The passage of time in the movie was somewhat ubiquitous... and I didn't get a sense that these kids were in a 'school' really.  There was so little focus on that.  One of the things that has made the books more 'real' is by mixing the fantasy/magic elements in with the everyday dolldrum of homework and such.  A few of the scenes could have been shot with them sitting down, pouring over books/homework, having the plot-important discussions, like in the movies...
I thought that that was only a problem in the beginning. After that everything seemed normal. But then again you have to keep in mind it was a challenge to get this book into 2:45.

They could have cut that Dancing Lessons scene, though, and replaced it with a plot point somewhere else.

Aphi

« Reply #37 on: 21 Nov 2005, 20:03 »

Yes, a plot point. Like, gee, I dunno...

*deep breath*

WINKY, anyone?

Or SPEW? Ludo Bagman? Bellatrix Lestrange? They all seemed sort of important to me, discluding mister Bagman, who would be optional.

And they didn't really even say who won the World Cup! All there was was Fred or George saying something like, "The Irish still celebrating?"

And what about Rita Skeeter and the illegal animagus thing? How's she going to write that article in the fifth movie? Unless they cut that whole thing, too... gosh, they'd better not.

And Harry never tried to push his Triwizard winnings on the Diggorys. Hell, we don't even know if Cedric had a mum, according to the movie. never showed her.

AND, Harry didn't give his winnings to Fred and George. Does this mean they're going to cut the Skiving Snackboxes(and their triumphant departure from school) out of the fifth movie?

[/rant]

Sorry. Certain parts of this movie were enjoyable, but for the most part, it made me want to cry. I'll have to agree on the third movie being the best so far.

Mnementh

« Reply #38 on: 21 Nov 2005, 20:17 »

When Hermione sat on the stairs crying in her ball gown I thought "This is a very Molly Ringwald moment."

I have seen it twice already.

FaultyGluestick

« Reply #39 on: 21 Nov 2005, 22:05 »

The 3rd film captured the book almost perfectly, and this one didn't seem to have the same impact.

I have yet to see the 4th movie, but seeing you claim that the 3rd was near flawless is just CRAZY!!!  I thought it was the worst of them all.  I can't begin to list the things they've left out!

Vlishgnath

« Reply #40 on: 22 Nov 2005, 08:45 »

Heh, don't waste your money on Goblet then Faulty.

Mnementh

« Reply #41 on: 22 Nov 2005, 08:46 »

Translation: GET ON THE FUCKIN' TRUCK!

Maybe?

Sideways

« Reply #42 on: 22 Nov 2005, 09:12 »

Quote from: FaultyGluestick

I have yet to see the 4th movie, but seeing you claim that the 3rd was near flawless is just CRAZY!!!  I thought it was the worst of them all.  I can't begin to list the things they've left out!

Quote from: Vlishgnath
Heh, don't waste your money on Goblet then Faulty.

Yeah, what he said.

If you thought #3 was terrible, you'll /hate/ this one.

JJMitchell

« Reply #43 on: 22 Nov 2005, 09:37 »

I enjoy the movies, of course I enjoy most movies because I don't see any reason to be too critical of most of them.  My point is that the Harry Potter movies had to have parts left out of them.  Regardless of what you think they are still aimed *mostly* at kids.  I know this one is reated PG-13 but you know all parents are taking their kids.

That being said, the movies have to be short enough to keep the kids interested but long enough to cover the basics of the books.  I figure if they included everything the movies would run at least 5 hours long.  You just have to accept what is in the movies and move along.

Vlishgnath

« Reply #44 on: 22 Nov 2005, 09:45 »

Quote from: Mnementh
Translation: GET ON THE FUCKIN' TRUCK!

Maybe?

Haha, truck is retired my friend.  Now it's just a plain pistol whipping.

FaultyGluestick

« Reply #45 on: 22 Nov 2005, 17:30 »

Yeah, what he said.

If you thought #3 was terrible, you'll /hate/ this one.

Thanks.  It saves me the trouble and agony.

LeeZion

• Larger than most fish
My two cents...
« Reply #46 on: 22 Nov 2005, 19:09 »

Watching the 4th Harry Potter movie was like reading the books on fast-forward. By speeding through so much, no time was left on the subtle nuances which made the books so enjoyable. And not JUST the subtle nuances — the scene with the Dursleys and the Ton-Tongue Toffee? I burst out laughing when I read that. No space for it in the movie.

The worst offense is that one of the most surprising elements of the books — the political divisions in the wizard community that turn Dumbledore and Harry Potter into pariahs — is missing from the movie. Based on the movie version of Goblet of Fire, what will Harry Potter have to get angry at in Order of the Phoenix?

They should have released The Goblet of Fire in two parts. They should have split it at the fight with the dragon, which is almost the exact half-way point in the book. And based on the text from the original books, each half of Goblet of Fire would have been roughly the same length as Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone (or Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, if you're from the UK). Imagine that: Goblet of Fire, part 1, would show the Quidditch final intact, and all four fights with the dragons. Then, we get to see Harry triumphant — BUT, cut immediately to Voldy-land, and the Dark Lord is laughing. "Enjoy it while you can, Harry Potter. Enjoy it while you can!" Then the words flash on the screen: TO BE CONTINUED...

Now that would have been a great movie. Steven Kloves should die and let me take over.

Lee Zion.
"If now I have found grace in thy sight, put, I pray thee, thy hand under my thigh, and deal kindly and truly with me." (Genesis 47:29 KJV)

Simulacra

« Reply #47 on: 24 Nov 2005, 00:03 »

saw it last night and definitely plan to see it again.  

sober this time.

cause i don't remember a ferret scene.

tastick

« Reply #48 on: 24 Nov 2005, 16:58 »

Saw the midnight showing Thursday night (well...technically Friday morning, if you're anal about that shit).

It was excellent.

darkhorizons

« Reply #49 on: 24 Nov 2005, 18:07 »

All of the parts missing from the movie that I COMPLETELY forgot about.

I had actually loved the movie, I saw it Thursday night/Friday morning.  But I think that I enjoyed it so much because I didn't take the two days to re-read the book the movie was about.  That completely wrecked the third one for me.  The third one SUCKED.
When I was watching the film, I had completely and totally forgotten about Hermione's SPEW thing.
---

There were some elements of GoF I liked, though.  Like the fact that they were actually wearing their UNIFORMS this time around.  In the third movie they were in street clothes for 75% of it.  And I think that the main plot points they DID do were well done (aka the v. beginning of the World Cup, the dragon thing).

But LeeZion was right.  The series would have been better served by splitting the movie into two.  In retrospect.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up