Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1349  (Read 8233 times)

tragic

« on: 12 Nov 2005, 06:13 »

who's in?
they're clearly the most black metal band around.
what with naming themselves after the year the black plague came to norway and all..
:/
still.. *heart*

Martin

« Reply #1 on: 12 Nov 2005, 06:18 »

They're a great band. And probably the best band in the black metalscene these days.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: 12 Nov 2005, 06:35 »

I totally need more 1349. I don't have a full-length, just some demos and EP's. They are indeed grim as fook, 'Riders of the Apocalypse' would probably make it onto a CD of my favourite BM tracks.

But seriously, why lock this down! There's not enough people of ye olde blackened perspective here. We should just talk about all black metal here, tbh.

So, what other black metal bands do ye like? My top ten would probably be, opening it up a bit:

1: Immortal
2: Carpathian Forest
3: Bathory
4: Burzum
5: Aborym
6: Deathspell Omega (thanks Gino!)
7: Isengard
8: Sigh
9: Ulver
10: Xasthur

Honourable mentions: Wyrd, The Count Nosferatu Kommando, 1349, Aurora Borealis, Horna, Behexen, Venom, Nattefrost, Abigail, Emperor.

Including some more borderline stuff there, and industrial BM, but not straight-out progressive/post/symphonic/folk stuff (apart from Sigh, and I love Scorn Defeat as much as Imaginary Sonicscapes, and of course late Bathory). Of course, I'm also quite keen on a lot of folk and some symphonic stuff in the BM camp, including Finntroll, Gloomy Grim, Korpiklaani, Hecate Enthroned, Anorexia Nervosa, Cruachan, Forefather, Waylander, Nokturnal Mortum, Illnath, early Cradle of Filth and even Theatres Des Vampires. Finally, of course, a shout to post and prog stuff, particularly the genre spanning Ancient Rites (one of my favourite bands) but also Vintersorg, Borknagar, ...And Oceans, Blut Aus Nord and all that lot. Plus of course all the other 1st and 2nd wave, depressive, epic, industrial, forest and w/e the fuck else BM bands I listen to.

Black Metal: tough to get into, but oh-so rewarding.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio

tragic

« Reply #3 on: 12 Nov 2005, 07:09 »

to me, early cradle of filth is just as bad as their newer attepmts at music.
oh well.
i like naglfar.
early behemoth.
some marduk is alright.
burzum = happyme.
erm.
immortal, of course, are "just magical".
(hooray for reformation ^_^)
i need more black metal.
*nods*
best 1349?
i breathe spears.
ohyes.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #4 on: 12 Nov 2005, 07:37 »

Early Behemoth are good as well, but not I think that notable...their later death stuff is what makes 'em special imo. Naglfar are on my list of bands to check out. Marduk of course,  I even like their stuff in the vein of 'Panzer Division'.

To say early Cradle of Filth's 'just as bad' as the new stuff is a bit silly, imo. People forget that Cradle of Filth started off as small as any other BM band, and that they had respect from the scene back in the day. Not to mention the fact that they were originally quite innovative. Also, to put 'Queen of Winter, Throned' and 'Filthy Little Secret' on the same musical plane is just ridiculous.
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

tragic

« Reply #5 on: 12 Nov 2005, 07:43 »

i have listened to CoF's early work.
so i'm not saying it because i assume its true.
i said it was just as bad but i didn't nesessarily mean in the same way.
simply, i do not enjoy their music.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #6 on: 12 Nov 2005, 07:45 »

Fair enough, but it's not even really the same genre as whatever they do now (ie, whatever will sell).

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
    • http://www.goat.cx
« Reply #7 on: 12 Nov 2005, 09:04 »

The new 1349 album is quite good, oh yes. Blackest band out there right now? Mmm, I dunno 'bout that. Download some Mork Gryning. You'll thank me.
also israel

Signum_Tenebrae

« Reply #8 on: 13 Nov 2005, 01:00 »

1349 is an incredibly overrated band.  Seriously, please tell me what all the fuss is about?  It's not bad but when you have people say stuff like "it's the best black metal band around right now" I just don't get it.

Mork Gryning is decent.  Sometimes they get a bit boring but it's not too bad for symphonic black metal.  If you're looking for symphonic stuff I'd definitely recommend Limbonic Art's "Moon In The Scorpio" (a symphony of cosmic darkness) and the new Anorexia Nervosa album "Redemption Process"  (gone are the days of perverse lyrics, now they're more about theology.  it's a more epic, mature approach to the chaotic insanity that is A.N.)

As far as my personal favorite black metal bands go. . I'd definitely have to say that as of late I've been into the "religious" strain of black metal. . (not religious as in jesus, religion as in orthodox satanism)  The best of the best are:

Deathspell Omega -- Not enough can be said about this band.  They are the ultimate fusion of spirituality and music.  Now we all know the early Norwegian black metal scene was childish and reactionary, and their ideologies were joke.  I look at this as the "rebellious teenager" years of black metal, whereas Deathspell Omega is a good example of an art form maturing and becoming truly sacred.  Not only is the song writing incredibly brilliant and totally original (so long Darkthrone copycats) but the lyrics are absolutely amazing.  I'd venture to guess that whoever writes the lyrics (little is known about the actual members.. they do much to shroud themselves in mystery) is more educated on theology than mosts priests or pastors.  Forget the silly "KILL JESUS, HAIL SATAN" stereotype, DSO's lyrics are the rantings of a truly devoted zealot that cut Christianity and their concept of God to its very core.  I especially like the lyrics to Kénôse, their latest EP, which takes a long hard look at the Christian theory of Kenosis from a much different perspective.  Absolutely amazing.  My favorite album by them, Si Monvmentvm Reqvires, Circvmspice, is a monster of an album. . clocking in at over 73 minutes long it's the first part of a massive three part trilogy devoted to the beast.

Watain
Funeral Mist
Ofermod
Ondskapt (probably the most "evil" sounding band I've ever heard)

However -- not all of my favorite black metal bands are religious ones.  I also love depressive/suicidal black metal like Xasthur, Beatrik, Abyssic Hate, Leviathan (well, part depressive part WTF this is weird) Malvery, Khrom, Wigrid, Burzum, etc etc

and also, I have a love for oldschool / first wave black metal as well such as Venom, Mercyful Fate, Bathory.. etc

Signum_Tenebrae

« Reply #9 on: 13 Nov 2005, 01:05 »

Quote from: tragic

Immortal reformed?  Are you serious?

first emperor, now immortal.. come on Limbonic Art!  you're next!

Rizzo

• Bling blang blong blung
  • R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
« Reply #10 on: 13 Nov 2005, 01:29 »

I like dimmu borgir and cradle of filth...
I'm serious too. Scary huh?

I also kind of like Emporer, Zyklon, Marduk and Immortal so that sort of makes it ok right? Ah who am I trying to kid. BM isn't my thing unless it's poppy and has keyboards. I have a thing for cheesy music.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Sometimes I feel like everyone around me is some sort of statistical/mathematical genuis and I'm hitting a gazelle in the head with a rock and screaming at the sky when there's a storm.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #11 on: 13 Nov 2005, 04:38 »

Cheesy key-based black metal can be great (see Illnath) and it can be not so great (see the latest CoF album).

What I'm definitely getting into, and will probably start re-arranging my top 10 once I start listening to black metal on a large scale again (I've been on a HUGE neo-folk kick with industrial escapades of late) is what you might call 'forest metal'. If I re-arranged that top 10 to include all my favourite folk/black artists it would be very different...what I'm talking about is everything from very raw BM sounds with folk touches and atmosphere such as Wyrd and old Ulver, to more polished fusions like early Waylander and Nokturnal Mortum, to real 'cheesy' folk-fests like Korpiklaani. This just links in with the general direction of my musical taste at the moment towards neo-folk, pagan rock, folk metal and all else of that sort. Although of course my tastes are wide and I enjoy a lot else, it's out and out heathen atmosphere I'm a-wanting (Probably why Sol Invictus are becoming one of my favourite bands). But yes, I really should start listening to black metal 'hardcore' again.

tragic

« Reply #12 on: 13 Nov 2005, 06:39 »

erm.
i got "the menace" by mork gryning.
twas pretty good.
their vocals reminded me of lamb of god in parts.
i'm not saying thats bad since i like LoG..
*delves back into the internet for more tracks*

Soidanae

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #13 on: 13 Nov 2005, 10:49 »

I have yet to actually figure out the difference between black metal, death metal, and "epci prog metal" evidently.  Wintersun seems to have made all three lists according to various sources...
I believe these are the days of lasers in the jungle, lasers in the jungle somewhere.  Staccato signals of constant information, a loose affiliation of millionaires and billionaires, and baby, these are the days of miracles and wonders.

tragic

« Reply #14 on: 13 Nov 2005, 10:51 »

so..
is anyone actually going to see 1349 play with gorgoroth?

Rock City, Nottingham, UK
November 26th 2005

Voodoo Lounge, Dublin, Ireland
November 27th 2005

Satans Hollow, Manchester, UK
November 28th 2005

Underworld, London, UK
November 30th 2005

i will be at satans hollow with a huge grin on my face.

Luke C

• Beyond Thunderdome
    • http://www.john87.com
« Reply #15 on: 13 Nov 2005, 12:26 »

Quote from: tragic
to me, early cradle of filth is just as bad as their newer attepmts at music.
oh well.
i like naglfar.
early behemoth.
some marduk is alright.
burzum = happyme.
erm.
i need more black metal.
*nods*
best 1349?
i breathe spears.
ohyes.

me listening to Cradle of Filth=me wanting puke

:(
"These capitalists generally act harmoniously and in concert to fleece the people, and now that they have got into a quarrel with themselves, we are called upon to appropriate the people's money to settle the quarrel." Lincoln in 1837

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
« Reply #16 on: 13 Nov 2005, 13:00 »

Quote from: Soidanae
I have yet to actually figure out the difference between black metal, death metal, and "epci prog metal" evidently.  Wintersun seems to have made all three lists according to various sources...

Black Metal: Nazis with keyboards play three chord metal for Satan.
Death Metal: Horror movie fans with medical dictionaries play 666 chord metal against God.
Epic Prog Metal: People who look suspiciously like child abusers don tight leather pants and play ridiculous wank metal in memory of Tolkien.

(warning! Above description is facetious)

Signum_Tenebrae

« Reply #17 on: 19 Nov 2005, 22:46 »

come on thread, don't die on me now!

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
« Reply #18 on: 19 Nov 2005, 23:03 »

Who else likes Arckanum? I used to know someone who dug them, but I think he's dead now.
also israel

Signum_Tenebrae

« Reply #19 on: 20 Nov 2005, 12:05 »

Arckanum is great.  It's just a shame that his lyrics aren't in English because they sound quite interesting (the whole Chaos-Gnostic concept)

also his troll outfit is fucking \m/

Borondir

• Furry furrier
    • My Last.Fm
« Reply #20 on: 20 Nov 2005, 12:23 »

I'll have to say after reading Deathspell Omega's lyrics, I'm not terribly impressed by their theological sophistication. Obviously they are far more meaningful than the early bm bands "hail satan" but they not much more than reversing Christian scripture.  Not that you're likely to find Christian bands of any theological sophistication either.

On the subject of 1349, their certainly one of my favorite non symphonic bm bands right now, though no one will ever overtake Darkthrone for me.

I've been leaning away from real black metal though, and listening to hybrid  or avante garde stuff like Korpiklaani or Arcturus.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #21 on: 20 Nov 2005, 17:38 »

Quote from: Trollstormur
Who else likes Arckanum? I used to know someone who dug them, but I think he's dead now.

That right there made me laugh really loudly for some morbidly unknown reason.
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

Trollstormur

• Duck attack survivor
  • Death To America
« Reply #22 on: 20 Nov 2005, 19:01 »

Quote from: Kai
Quote from: Trollstormur

That right there made me laugh really loudly for some morbidly unknown reason.

We'd probably be good friends now, but as it was, I wanted to travel to Sweden to kill him, and he wanted to come to America to kill me. Only he was naturally a depressed person, and he lived somewhere where SAD is a big problem, so I figured I'd outwait him.
also israel

Signum_Tenebrae

« Reply #23 on: 20 Nov 2005, 21:23 »

Quote from: Borondir
I'll have to say after reading Deathspell Omega's lyrics, I'm not terribly impressed by their theological sophistication. Obviously they are far more meaningful than the early bm bands "hail satan" but they not much more than reversing Christian scripture.  Not that you're likely to find Christian bands of any theological sophistication either.

I completely disagree.  Which lyrics did you read?  Their earlier lyrics (pre Si Monvmentvm Reqvires, Circvmspice) are not impressive, of course, and the band acknowledges that themselves in interviews.  However, SMRC and beyond are absolutely amazing in my opinion.  There is much more there than just anti-Christianity.
Pages: [1]   Go Up