THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 01:18
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Favourite '90s TV shows?  (Read 32717 times)

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
Favourite '90s TV shows?
« Reply #50 on: 21 Nov 2005, 07:42 »

Quote from: keyoung
Square One.  
I actually think this one's late-80s early-90s.
Please tell me I'm not the only one here who remembers Square One.  Sometimes I think my best friend and I are the only people who have heard of the show.  My favorite segments were always Dirk Niblick and the Math Brigade and Mathnet (Dragnet spoof).
As a kid I was only allowed to watch a half-hour of TV each day and both of my parents are mathematicians so it was pretty much predetermined that that half-hour would be Square One (which was OK with me since I loved the show).

Oh my god, I do know that show.  At first I was thinking "nope, never heard of it," but then you referred to math and it all came flooding back.  Back in Korea there was only one channel of American television, the Air Force network, and Square One was shown on it.

Damn, now that I'm thinking of it there were a lot of science nerd shows I liked to watch.  Of course Contact is the grand-daddy of the bunch, but my fave was Newton's Apple.  Later on, Beakman's World was funny for a few episodes, but got irritating fast.

*suddenly wishes I got TLC*
*is also wondering if Junkyard Wars is still around*

keyoung

• Plantmonster
Favourite '90s TV shows?
« Reply #51 on: 21 Nov 2005, 08:15 »

I loved Newton's Apple!  It was always on immediately after Square One and once in awhile I could convince my mom to let me watch another half hour of TV.  My favorite was the episode where they took appart an escalator to show how it worked.
I only vaguely remember Contact and don't think I ever saw Beakman's World.  When my younger sister was little she always watched Bill Nye the Science Guy which was pretty meh compared to Newton's Apple.
Whatever happened to good educational programming?  I don't know of any shows like these on today.  (Of course, I also watch PBS in the afternoons a lot less than I used to).

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
Favourite '90s TV shows?
« Reply #52 on: 21 Nov 2005, 08:31 »

Whatever happened to good educational programming?  I don't know of any shows like these on today.  (Of course, I also watch PBS in the afternoons a lot less than I used to).

Just last week I was reading the rotten.com entry on Mr. Rogers, and how he single-handedly saved educational programming/public television with his earnest 6-minute senate testimony.

http://www.rotten.com/library/bio/misc/fred-rogers/

Once upon a time people cared.

RedLeather

Favourite '90s TV shows?
« Reply #53 on: 22 Nov 2005, 08:43 »

I dunno, if this counts...but, back when i was living in NZ, my dad had a dish that got exclusively american shows...and i dunno if this was the 90's per say but does anybodyu remember Bill Nye, the Science guy? He made my life so much better...-HIdes back in her box-

Tomservo

Favourite '90s TV shows?
« Reply #54 on: 22 Nov 2005, 12:15 »

Quote from: SpacemanSpiff
Quote from: ephemere
Quote from: negative creep
...but still, there was nothing better in the 90s...

EXCUSE ME

DID I NOT JUST SAY SAVED BY THE FRIGGING BELL

DID I NOT JUST SAY THAT

Well, the problem here is: We live in Germany and that stuff never aired here, so there. And if it aired, I have no idea what it was called.

Plus I maintain that Sending mit der Maus is still better.

Also, if Futurama counts, I'm so including it. I don't own all Futurama DVD sets for nothing here.

Edit: Here's why it's better:

The elephant is helping the mouse because the elephant's the mouse's best friend. Can your weird ass American TV series beat that? I THINK NOT.

I saw that show in my German Class, and there was a part where they showed us how these didlo shaped eggs were made.  Do you Germans actually eat those things?

Tomservo

Favourite '90s TV shows?
« Reply #55 on: 22 Nov 2005, 12:16 »

Quote from: *insert silly name here*
Mystery Science Theater 3000
only ran one season followed by a movie (which was exactly the same format and length as an episode of the show so its not really a movie.

You are mistaken, mystery science theater 3000 ran for ten seasons, but it is a hilarious show.

Stifled Dreams

Favourite '90s TV shows?
« Reply #56 on: 22 Nov 2005, 12:48 »

Yeah, Hey Arnold was one of my favorite cartoons, too. I loved how melancholy some episodes were. The one where they saved the sea turtle from the crappy zoo was just like... wow. I liked old Nick a lot. Pete and Pete, Are You Afraid of the Dark? (which scared me!), Ghostwriter like someone said, and some other things. I also watched Wishbone when I was a lot younger and a lot of other silly shows. I barely watch television anymore, but when an old show comes on, I get really nostalgic.

Oh childhood, how I mourn the death of thee.

*insert silly name here*

Favourite '90s TV shows?
« Reply #57 on: 22 Nov 2005, 14:07 »

Quote from: Tomservo
You are mistaken, mystery science theater 3000 ran for ten seasons, but it is a hilarious show.

did it really? I must have missed out on nine of them, i tried to download the episodes but I could only find one season. but hell, your name is tomservo, so you probably know more than me about this.

Incidentally I never really liked hey Arnold or Doug for that matter, I dont know why, everyone liked them but i could never get into it.  I'm more a Rocko and Angry Beavers kind of guy.

tastick

Favourite '90s TV shows?
« Reply #58 on: 24 Nov 2005, 16:56 »

Old-school Nickelodeon; namely "Are You Afraid of the Dark?"

Joseph

• Duck attack survivor
Favourite '90s TV shows?
« Reply #59 on: 24 Nov 2005, 16:59 »

Quote from: RedLeather
I dunno, if this counts...but, back when i was living in NZ, my dad had a dish that got exclusively american shows...and i dunno if this was the 90's per say but does anybodyu remember Bill Nye, the Science guy? He made my life so much better...-HIdes back in her box-

Definately the best educational show ever.  It was just so randomly awsome...  And the crazy music video they always did at the end was genius.  Pity it's not on TV anymore.  Instead all the little kids watch Arthur and other new little kid crap.

darkhorizons

Favourite '90s TV shows?
« Reply #60 on: 24 Nov 2005, 18:19 »

Quote from: FaultyGluestick
CAPTAIN PLANET

EARTH!  FIRE!  WIND!  WATER!  HEART!

Tee.

My favourite 90's show definitely had to be either Full House, Saved By The Bell, or THE LEGEND OF ZELDA.  "Well excuuuse me, princess!"

But My So-Called Life definitely gets credit because Claire Danes stole my hair.

Mr. Oysterhead

Favourite '90s TV shows?
« Reply #61 on: 24 Nov 2005, 19:33 »

Call me a dork, but I totally watched Beast Wars.

Micolithe

Favourite '90s TV shows?
« Reply #62 on: 24 Nov 2005, 20:53 »

The Adventures of Pete and Pete, Salute Your Shorts, Rocko's Modern Life, Hey Dude (started in 89 but it still counts, right?), Clarissa Explains it All, and a whole bunch of others that I can't think of off the top of my head.

I miss classic nickelodeon.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
Favourite '90s TV shows?
« Reply #63 on: 25 Nov 2005, 05:17 »

Oh god, Salute Your Shorts was AWESOME.

And when we think about it, it makes us wanna fart.
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Joseph

• Duck attack survivor
Favourite '90s TV shows?
« Reply #64 on: 25 Nov 2005, 22:47 »

I completely forgot two of my favorite shows, Law and Order (the original is one of TVs best shows, far better than CSI) and The Sopranoes (first season in 1999)

SpacemanSpiff

Favourite '90s TV shows?
« Reply #65 on: 26 Nov 2005, 16:45 »

Quote from: Tomservo
I saw that show in my German Class, and there was a part where they showed us how these didlo shaped eggs were made.  Do you Germans actually eat those things?

I have no idea what the hell you are talking about, but edible dildos? Fuck, yeah. We totally eat those, all the time.

drpepper_phd

• Plantmonster
Favourite '90s TV shows?
« Reply #66 on: 26 Nov 2005, 20:24 »

Every single last one of those old school Nick game shows. You cannot tell me you did not watch GUTS and not want to climb the Aggro Crag and CONQUER ITS FACE! HOOHAH! And I'm not sure if it's from the 90's... late 80's probably- but who remembers the Fun House?

And of course Ren and Stimpy. "Whaaaat rolls down stairs, alone or in pairs, and over your neighbor's dog?"
You know the taste of love- http://lamb.atspace.us/">Lemonade and Manic Blue.--Twin sister's Webmanga

Inlander

• coprophage
  • Hug your local saintly donkey.
    • Instant Life Substitute
Favourite '90s TV shows?
« Reply #67 on: 27 Nov 2005, 01:33 »

Quote from: Dark Flame
Law and Order

Holy holy holy holy shit, I can't believe I didn't think of Homicide: Life on the Street!  I can't believe nobody else did!!

Also, Northern Exposure.

Nettle

• Larger than most fish
Favourite '90s TV shows?
« Reply #68 on: 27 Nov 2005, 06:17 »

Maid Marian and Her Merry Men!
www.notebookinhand.com -Forum for creative people.

www.maidmarianandhermerrymen.co.uk - Remember Maid Marian And Her Merry Men? Join the fanforum!
http://fluffybricks.blogspot.com You might not believe your eyes!

ayePod

Favourite '90s TV shows?
« Reply #69 on: 27 Nov 2005, 19:02 »

"The Adventures of Pete and Pete" or "Are You Afraid of The Dark?". 90's X Files was awesometastic too.

Mikintosh

• Emoticontraindication
Favourite '90s TV shows?
« Reply #70 on: 29 Nov 2005, 10:20 »

I concur with microlithe's Nick choices and...sigh, I would not be honest if I didn't put down Power Rangers. Can't do any better than karate vs. monsters.

FaultyGluestick

Favourite '90s TV shows?
« Reply #71 on: 29 Nov 2005, 19:41 »

Quote from: Mr. Oysterhead

Beast Wars or Beasties was the shit!  I'm glad they still play it on TV!

Spike

• FIGHT YOU
Favourite '90s TV shows?
« Reply #72 on: 29 Nov 2005, 20:47 »

Nick arcade and that one with the talking wall.  Hey Arnold was pretty cool, definetly wish I had a room like the one he had.  I mean honestly it's awesome. Pete and Pete was so wierd but so cool.
Quote from: Joe Salton, a spam bot
I have seen all Internet.
Do or die, guys!

Rawr and Stuff

Favourite '90s TV shows?
« Reply #73 on: 29 Nov 2005, 21:09 »

You know what? Gargoyles was a freaking sweet show.

Bunnyman

Favourite '90s TV shows?
« Reply #74 on: 29 Nov 2005, 23:28 »

Square One.

Took me long enough to remember that.  That digs up OLD, OLD memories.  Before I sacrificed my childhood at the altar of iD Software and early 90's Shareware.

But I'm gonna have to say...Rocko's Modern Life was the pinnacle of 90's Television.

zutonna

Favourite '90s TV shows?
« Reply #75 on: 30 Nov 2005, 12:20 »

Quote from: Nettle
Maid Marian and her Merry Men!

Yay!!! "You've got to find a way, to make a better day! Woah, Marian!"
And what's great is that it keeps mentioning a town called Worksop...which is where I live!

Anyway. How about The Cosby Show? :P
or Animaniacs?
or the original SONIC THE HEDGEHOG!!?

Gryff

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Summary sense... tingling!
Favourite '90s TV shows?
« Reply #76 on: 30 Nov 2005, 15:41 »

Does anyone remember that episode of Beast Wars where they discovered that super-powerful but super-naive robot? [spoilerz] And everybody was trying to get him to join their side. And then at the end he killed himself to save his friend? So sad… so sad.

Boxes

Favourite '90s TV shows?
« Reply #77 on: 30 Nov 2005, 16:31 »

There was that show with gnomes in it... David the Gnome? Did that run into the 90's?

FaultyGluestick

Favourite '90s TV shows?
« Reply #78 on: 30 Nov 2005, 20:25 »

Quote from: Bunnyman

But I'm gonna have to say...Rocko's Modern Life was the pinnacle of 90's Television.

That show was the Spongebob of the early 90's.  I liked it.

unhealthyaddiction

Favourite '90s TV shows?
« Reply #79 on: 06 Dec 2005, 08:44 »

Quote from: Kid Modernist
I think us oldies should put the youngins in their place and do a favorite 80s show thread.

Small Wonder, anyone?

that's the name of that show! whenever me and my friends talk about tv from our childhood, i mention a show about a robot girl, but that's never enough for anyone else to remember. ...and then of course they think i'm crazy.

i'm gonna second mystery science theater 3000, gargoyles, the tick, sliders, and seinfeld. and i'm also going to throw into the mix the saturday morning x-men and spider-man cartoons, knight rider, and of course... friends! i have all ten seasons on dvd and always have at least two discs in my five disc dvd player. next i'm gonna start buying seinfeld.

oh! also, does anyone remember "players"? it had ice t in it. ice t normally doesn't spell good television, but this was the best cancelled-after-half-a-season show ever!

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
Favourite '90s TV shows?
« Reply #80 on: 06 Dec 2005, 15:30 »

Personally, I rather liked "Fresh Prince of Bel Air". But that's just me.

Heh, funny thing, I live in the Belair district of the city of Luxembourg. Badass.

Keaton

Favourite '90s TV shows?
« Reply #81 on: 07 Dec 2005, 11:59 »

I'm a big fan of old Nickelodeon.  Pete and Pete was nothing short of brilliant, and I enjoyed all the other shows well enough.  I loved Angry Beavers... I can't believe I decided to stop watching cartoons halfway through its too-short life.

There was a cartoon that was on Nick, I think in the early nineties, that was about this secret agent mouse (I think) who I believe worked in this freakishly big building... I want to say many or most of the voices were British.  I can't remember the name of it, though, but it was great.

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
Favourite '90s TV shows?
« Reply #82 on: 07 Dec 2005, 14:34 »

Quote from: Stifled Dreams
Angry Beavers totally made my childhood.

The best part about The Angry Beavers were the credits. No really, they had the best nicknames ever.

The shoow was pretty awesome too, but the credits were just hilarious.
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

zutonna

Favourite '90s TV shows?
« Reply #83 on: 07 Dec 2005, 15:23 »

Quote from: KimJongSick
Personally, I rather liked "Fresh Prince of Bel Air". But that's just me.

Hehe, you are not alone!! :D

Will: Man, I love Hallowe'en! It's the only night of the year a black man can wear a mask without getting arrested!

Duchess Tapioca

• Larger than most fish
    • Somebody wrote something about me on the internet!
Favourite '90s TV shows?
« Reply #84 on: 07 Dec 2005, 15:56 »

Dinosaurs.

...And Star Trek

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
Favourite '90s TV shows?
« Reply #85 on: 07 Dec 2005, 17:07 »

Quote from: ironoxide887
The best part about The Angry Beavers were the credits. No really, they had the best nicknames ever.

The shoow was pretty awesome too, but the credits were just hilarious.

Richard "My last name sucks" Horvitz!

unhealthyaddiction

Favourite '90s TV shows?
« Reply #86 on: 07 Dec 2005, 18:56 »

the secret agent mouse thing reminded me... rescue rangers rocked! i even had a nintendo game based on it. and duck tales was great, and darkwing duck.

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
Favourite '90s TV shows?
« Reply #87 on: 09 Dec 2005, 11:52 »

PETE AND PETE, DAMMIT!

I own the DVDs. The show is STILL freaking brilliant. It hasn't aged at all.

Also, Brimstone. It ran for half a season on Fox and is to this day one of my favorite shows of all time. It was amazing and Fox is a bunch of asshole motherfucking cocksuckers for cancelling it and Firefly.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

octozombie

Favourite '90s TV shows?
« Reply #88 on: 11 Feb 2006, 03:32 »

Freaks + Geeks (I believe late 90's?),
but if not,
I just love Ren+Stimpy, MST3k, Pete&Pete (yay I own seas.1), My So-Called Life, and uuuuh I find it awesome and hilarious how people love The Angry Beavers sooo much on here; I miss that show.

But c'mon, PETE & PETE for the win, guys.....

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
Favourite '90s TV shows?
« Reply #89 on: 11 Feb 2006, 05:36 »

I just remembered:

LEGENDS OF THE HIDDEN TEMPLE
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

M3gaBigh

Favourite '90s TV shows?
« Reply #90 on: 11 Feb 2006, 09:36 »

Two Guys, A Girl and A Pizza Place was pretty awsome

Michey

Favourite '90s TV shows?
« Reply #91 on: 11 Feb 2006, 10:40 »

Love for all the old Nick shows! Pete and Pete, Ren and Stimpy, Rocko's Modern Life, Angry Beavers, Aaahh Real Monsters, Are You Afraid of the Dark, Clarissa Explains it All, The Secret World of Alex Mack, Salute Your Shorts, Hey Dude, Doug, the older episodes of Rugrats, Hey Arnold, the original cast of All That, David the Gnome, Legends of the Hidden Temple, Guts, Wild and Crazy Kids, Double Dare....
....Can you tell what network I spent most of my childhood on?
Aside from that which involves green slime, I also remember loving Animaniacs, Dinosaurs, Full House (but I can't stand it anymore) and probably a lot of other shows that I can't remember right now.

vegkitkat

• Furry furrier
  • Mysterious as the dark side of the moon
Favourite '90s TV shows?
« Reply #92 on: 11 Feb 2006, 17:18 »

Oh Angry Beavers, my brother and I used to watch that all the time.

"Dag, the ball is calling you a doofus!"

Bill Nye was great. I still remember him explaining plate tectonics using cookies on a bed of jello. He just got married, and has plans for a new PBS science show. I'm excited.
Life is not a constant thing,
It's only made of short stories.

GebStar

• Furry furrier
Favourite '90s TV shows?
« Reply #93 on: 11 Feb 2006, 17:29 »

Quote from: KimJongSick
"Sliders" was pretty cool, I thought.

Sliders FTW, bes show ever. I remember rushing home on friday nights from football training so I wouldn't miss it. Best thing Jerry O Connel has ever done. Fuck Stand by Me, Sliders rocked. It got shit when his brother took over.

Quote from: Mr. Oysterhead

Aww dude beast wars fuckin ruled. Best bit was when they got their second chasis. Like their first ones were cool, but then something happened and they all got awesomer. Especially the cheetah guy.
Quote from: Trollstormur
that slogan is a good slogan. so good, in fact, I think it should be applied to other things. like, "there's no wrong way to hit your spouse." or "there's no wrong way to commit nonconsentual sodomy."

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
Favourite '90s TV shows?
« Reply #94 on: 11 Feb 2006, 17:36 »

Angry Beavers was the ultimate in children's cartoon entertainment. I wish they'd come out with a DVD of it or something, and if they already have, well, they should sell it at the Bitburg AFB base exchange.

M3gaBigh

Favourite '90s TV shows?
« Reply #95 on: 11 Feb 2006, 22:24 »

Does Captain Planet count as 90s? I think it started in 1989. Last year the drama society at uni did a play version of it, that play rocked.

almost thursday

Favourite '90s TV shows?
« Reply #96 on: 12 Feb 2006, 06:14 »

deep space nine.

Kai

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
Favourite '90s TV shows?
« Reply #97 on: 12 Feb 2006, 09:37 »

Quote from: ironoxide887
I just remembered:

LEGENDS OF THE HIDDEN TEMPLE

FUCK YES

TEMPLE GUARD'D

and this is the best link ever:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Temple_Rooms_and_layouts
but the music sucks because the keyboards don't have the cold/mechanical sound they had but a wannabe techno sound that it's pathetic for Rammstein standars.

MilkmanDan

Favourite '90s TV shows?
« Reply #98 on: 12 Feb 2006, 11:08 »

Quote from: *insert silly name here*
did it really? I must have missed out on nine of them, i tried to download the episodes but I could only find one season.

Well, you could always buy every single episode of all 10 series + 'Season 0' which was called KTMA (155 Shows) on DVDR here for the low, low price of $750. Jesus Christ that's a lot of money.

nescience

Favourite '90s TV shows?
« Reply #99 on: 12 Feb 2006, 13:14 »

I'm going to say MST3K and Northern Exposure.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up