THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Apr 2024, 01:21
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Xbox 360  (Read 10760 times)

JJMitchell

Xbox 360
« on: 22 Nov 2005, 07:11 »

Anyone get one?

I'm not planning on it, figure I'll wait another two years and get a PS3 when the PS4 is coming out hehe.

Sideways

Xbox 360
« Reply #1 on: 22 Nov 2005, 07:38 »

I sort of want one... but only because it's new and shiney.  The lineup of games hasn't impressed me.  The EB in a mall near where I live had a few of them out on display/demo a few days ago.  I played a few of the games, and they looked like slightly cleaner versions of XBox games (so... they looked like my PC games, basically).

I wasn't impressed.

nihilist

Xbox 360
« Reply #2 on: 22 Nov 2005, 07:46 »

I'll pick one up when the second launch happens in January or February.  That's when the first crop of next-gen games will hit.

Sideways

Xbox 360
« Reply #3 on: 22 Nov 2005, 07:48 »

Yeah, I'll probably do the same.  I'll break myself, and buy all three at once, or something crazy like that.

Really... the only system I eagerly await is the PS3.

LiterSize

• Curry sauce
Xbox 360
« Reply #4 on: 22 Nov 2005, 07:51 »

Whichever one has Guitar games on it next... and final fantasy.  Which LOOKS to be the PS3, no?  Then there's the revolution because 1) cheapest and 2) novel new way to play games.

Sideways

Xbox 360
« Reply #5 on: 22 Nov 2005, 08:17 »

Yeah, the revolution should be an awesome party system... get some friends over, have some beers, pop in Mario Party 12, or 13, or whatever iteration is current.

nihilist

Xbox 360
« Reply #6 on: 22 Nov 2005, 08:51 »

Honestly, I think that Xbox people stay with the Xbox.  And I'm staying with the Xbox.  If the 360 can be modded like the current one, then HAHAHA I win!

Friends?  Gaming?  Interesting.  Generally we play shit like Burnout Revenge, or Soul Calibur or whatnot.  Not Mario.  We're old.

Sideways

Xbox 360
« Reply #7 on: 22 Nov 2005, 09:19 »

I play Soul Calibur as well!  Soul Calibur 3!  You and I should play... oh... wait... you can't.  You're XBox doesn't have it.

*single tear rolls down my cheek*

:P

JJMitchell

Xbox 360
« Reply #8 on: 22 Nov 2005, 09:32 »

I'm too much of a PC gamer to buy anything really.

I have a PS2, never bought an XBOX, played one some and wasn't all that impressed.

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
Xbox 360
« Reply #9 on: 22 Nov 2005, 09:35 »

Quote from: nihilist
Friends?  Gaming?  Interesting.  Generally we play shit like Burnout Revenge, or Soul Calibur or whatnot.  Not Mario.  We're old.

I'm 26 and I much prefer Mario to Burnout.  Then again my friend is the other way around; I strongly dislike his taste in games.  His favorite is Need for Speed (yech!)

nihilist

Xbox 360
« Reply #10 on: 22 Nov 2005, 09:39 »

Eh.  It'll make it eventually.  Besides, I'm still attempting to finish Incredible Hulk and The Warriors.

Edit:  you calling me lame for not playing Mario?  Words like "pot", "kettle" and "black" seem to come to mind.  :p

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
Xbox 360
« Reply #11 on: 22 Nov 2005, 09:42 »

According to my gf I am way lame because I don't like pop music.  Strangely, I'm okay with that.

LiterSize

• Curry sauce
Xbox 360
« Reply #12 on: 22 Nov 2005, 09:48 »

Honestly, I think that Xbox people stay with the Xbox.  And I'm staying with the Xbox.  If the 360 can be modded like the current one, then HAHAHA I win!

GC had Tales of Symphonia.  If there are anymore like that, then I shall go where that is.  Soul Calibur I was never a fan of (button mashing as far as my friends go or doing the same move over and over again) and I never could get all I could out of my 360 since I dare not trust myself to mod it.  And I barely got any Xbox1 games as it was... once I feel I've used my Xbox as I should, then I may gander at the 360.

nihilist

Xbox 360
« Reply #13 on: 22 Nov 2005, 09:50 »

The 250GB drive in my Xbox currently holds about 75 games.  There is also a pile of green boxes beside it.  I think I got my money's worth.

Sideways

Xbox 360
« Reply #14 on: 22 Nov 2005, 09:59 »

1: SC3 is exclusive to Playstation.  Supposedly it will not be released for any other system... period.

2: PS3 is what I await because of franchises like:

Gran Turismo
Final Fantasy
Devil May Cry
Katamari
Soul Calibur
Breath of Fire
Prince of Persia
God of War (can't wait for the sequel)
Wipeout
Grand Theft Auto (granted, sometimes it goes multi-platform, but PS typically gets them first)
---I could go on and on.

3: Xbox?  More like; SuXbox... MIRIGHT? MIRIGHT?!  [/rabidfanboyism] :P

Vlishgnath

Xbox 360
« Reply #15 on: 22 Nov 2005, 10:11 »

Quote from: Sideways
Final Fantasy

I wouldn't quite count that one just yet; Square Enix hasn't comitted to the Playstation as their development model for future FF games.

I personally hope they stick with Sony, or at least jump to Nintendo (ala Crystal Chronicles).  Really don't want to have to buy a whole new system for one fuckin game (again).

nihilist

Xbox 360
« Reply #16 on: 22 Nov 2005, 10:22 »

I don't get the platform for the franchises, but for the games.  Burnout Revenge is far more enjoyable then GT.  Same with PGR2.  PoP came out for the Xbox as well, though I didn't care for it.  Honestly, when it comes to the types of games I play, they show up on the Xbox more often then not.  And they look better.  So nyah.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
Xbox 360
« Reply #17 on: 22 Nov 2005, 10:43 »

Edit:  you calling me lame for not playing Mario?  Words like "pot", "kettle" and "black" seem to come to mind.  :p

Why does that remind you of Wilco?

PS3 looks possum*, and I'm pretty sure the Revolution is going to be ace. I'm not even going to consider a system that's marketed on the "hey look how cool and mature we are, we have a bunch of terrible franchises BUT AT LEAST THEY AREN'T RATED 'E'" basis.

*possibly awesome
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

jhocking

• Methuselah's mentor
  • Corruption City USA
    • new|Arteest
Xbox 360
« Reply #18 on: 22 Nov 2005, 10:54 »

Quote from: Johnny C
Why does that remind you of Wilco?

He was responding to a crack I made.  I changed my mind and edited the post, but he must have already been in the middle of writing a reply.

Sideways

Xbox 360
« Reply #19 on: 22 Nov 2005, 11:00 »

I know games aren't all about graphics, but the XBox 360 games I tried, on the weekend, were quite disappointing in that regard.

I did some independant 'research'... you guys should try this too.

Google a gameplay video of Quake 4 or Perfect Dark for XBox 360.

Then Google a gameplay video of Killzone 2 for PS3.

I'm sorry, but the XBox 360 FPS' look... frankly... like shit in comparison.

nihilist

Xbox 360
« Reply #20 on: 22 Nov 2005, 11:12 »

That's kinda interesting, given the fact that Sony hasn't released any gameplay videos from the PS3, just pre-rendered videos...

And again, first-launch games generally are more about getting it out the door then anything else.  I'm sure the PS3 games will also not be amazing at launch.

Finally...  The Warriors looks horrible.  Just horrible.  But it is still worth a play. So...  Graphics aren't everything.  :p

LiterSize

• Curry sauce
Xbox 360
« Reply #21 on: 22 Nov 2005, 12:06 »

The graphics don't look good but goddammit I wanna take out some Orphans and Furies!

GC didn't have the best graphics compared to Xbox or PS2 but they still cranked out some awesome titles.

Sideways

Xbox 360
« Reply #22 on: 22 Nov 2005, 12:38 »

The video of Killzone2 has been presented as 'gameplay', not pre-rendered.

The entire fiasco started at E3 when Microsoft accused Sony of only showing CGI video... to which Sony replied by showing the supposed 'pre-rendered CGI of Killzone2' being played/controlled by one of their execs.

Yes... that is supposedly gameplay video of Killzone2... not CGI.

And I don't get how you say there have been no screenshots of gameplay for the PS3... virtually all of Sony's presence at E3 this year was dedicated to showing that.  Did you not see the video of their Fight Night demo?  It was fucking mind-blowingly impressive...

Sideways

Xbox 360
« Reply #23 on: 22 Nov 2005, 12:44 »

Kthak

Xbox 360
« Reply #24 on: 22 Nov 2005, 13:21 »

That's kinda interesting, given the fact that Sony hasn't released any gameplay videos from the PS3, just pre-rendered videos...

And again, first-launch games generally are more about getting it out the door then anything else.  I'm sure the PS3 games will also not be amazing at launch.

Finally...  The Warriors looks horrible.  Just horrible.  But it is still worth a play. So...  Graphics aren't everything.  :p

I think it is worth mentioning that I have seen videos of actual gameplay from a ps3 system and it looks amazing. Better than anything I've actually played with 360 demo units at walmart. To be honest my ps2 has better graphics than what it looked like on that demo unit.

And as a sidenote: The Warriors is not playable on the XBox360.

Sideways

Xbox 360
« Reply #25 on: 22 Nov 2005, 13:24 »

I wouldn't say that the PS2 has better graphics than the XBox 360, but one of the funniest things I saw was the XBox 360 at my local EB demo'ing Tiger Woods 2K6, while the PS2 next to it was also playing Tiger Woods 2K6... and I had trouble telling the two apart.

The XBox 360 one looked a little more crisp.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
Xbox 360
« Reply #26 on: 22 Nov 2005, 15:25 »

Quote from: jhocking
He was responding to a crack I made.

I know what it means for the pot to call the kettle black. I just wanted to make an indie culture reference.

Also: Fight Night and Killzone = TOTALLY GAMEPLAY = sexy-hot framerate and graphics.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Gryff

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Summary sense... tingling!
Xbox 360
« Reply #27 on: 22 Nov 2005, 15:51 »

There is some serious fanboyism going on here. Here are some of my thoughts:

Honestly, I think that Xbox people stay with the Xbox

This is true of some people but not of others. Nintendo, in fact, probably has the most system loyalty, but you can say the same thing of all the systems - some people will stay loyal to their current system, others will not.

2. Lots of people are less concerned with system loyalty than they are with playing good games. The system with the best games, and the best marketing campaign to make people aware of these games, will come out on top.

3. It is fairly difficult to compare systems that have not been released yet. The 360 is out but the PS3 and Revolution are not. Until they all show up in people's living rooms it is impossible to tell which is "better". For further evidence I direct you to http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2005/09/12" target="_fresh">a poignant comic, which can be applied to pre-release publicity from all parties.

4. Traditionally, the console that comes out first in each "next generation" loses out big time (think Saturn and Dreamcast).

5. Traditionally, the launch titles for "next generation" systems look impressive but suck hairy testicles. Sometimes they don't even look that impressive.

So basically, while I am sure the 360 is cool, time will tell whether it will stack up to the others in terms of performance and software. I will be waiting to see who has the games that appeal to me before I pick up any system. So, a wait of at least a year is in store for me, I think.

Rominova

Xbox 360
« Reply #28 on: 22 Nov 2005, 21:05 »

Edit:  Nevermind  figured it out.

iKitten

Xbox 360
« Reply #29 on: 22 Nov 2005, 21:55 »

I'm waiting anxiously for the Revolution myself.  The nostalgia appeal alone is worth it.

The 360 has me less than impressed, partially due to the fact that it seems incredibly rushed (the fractional amount of the previous XBox library being backwards compatible and playable on the "fully-loaded" system chief among the indications; not a big deal provided they do it down the line).

Sideways

Xbox 360
« Reply #30 on: 23 Nov 2005, 12:19 »

That backwards compatibility issue is just a cash cow, waiting to be exploited.  What with MS's focus on LIVE content for every game, and trying to get every user registered on LIVE.

The fact is; if the system is backwards compatible with /some/ games, then it is backwards compatible with /all/ games.  But, in order for you to gain access to the full backwards compatibility, you will have to pay for a patch, or a key, or something.

Mark my words, because I guarantee it will happen.  Backwards compatability with 'greatest hits' games is just opening the door.

nihilist

Xbox 360
« Reply #31 on: 23 Nov 2005, 12:25 »

Everybody wants to do shit in a micro-payments way.  The masses easily swallow lots of little payments vs. a few big ones because they don't keep track of them.  Just sort of slips the mind.  In reality, though, they'll end up paying far more often, and cost more then the macropayments ever would.

Sideways

Xbox 360
« Reply #32 on: 23 Nov 2005, 12:58 »

Problem is: Something like backwards compatability should be free.

People already payed for a console, and the games.  Now they're buying another console, from the same company, and are rewarded by being able to play old games on it?  Nope... not at all.  They're being gouged, instead.

nihilist

Xbox 360
« Reply #33 on: 23 Nov 2005, 13:04 »

That is the new market, though.  Gouging.  All content providers want in on it.  Erosion of "fair use" is doing it.  Sure, you bought it.  But you can only watch it once, and then it'll delete itself.  Or, it's locked to a specific device.  Shit like that.

No, folks.  I bought this, and I plan on doing whatever the fuck I want to do with it.

Sideways

Xbox 360
« Reply #34 on: 23 Nov 2005, 13:14 »

Well, I know I have no interest in buying a system that is designed to nickel-and-dime me to death, while forcing me to use certain services in order to gain the full experience.

Online content should be icing on the cake, not the cake itself.

I'll be going with whatever console gouges me the least.  Considering the peripheral storm already being shown for the Revolution, and the recent peripheral trend with Nintendo, I doubt it will be them.  I don't want to have to buy 15 different controllers, or controller add-ons, just to enjoy the games.

I'll likely stick with the Playstation.

JJMitchell

Xbox 360
« Reply #35 on: 23 Nov 2005, 13:36 »

It appears that as we all thought the 360 is buggy.

Click Me.

Gryff

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Summary sense... tingling!
Xbox 360
« Reply #36 on: 23 Nov 2005, 14:31 »

Hmm, that doesn't look good for Microsoft.

I totally agree that the backwards compatibility thing is a complete sham. In my eyes, backwards compatibility is a good way for a company to reward its dedicated supporters and encourage people to buy their new system. It is not an opportunity to bleed more money out of already paying customers. Bad form, Microsoft. I hope that people see through this ploy and that it affects sales.

Truth told, the 360 launch is looking pretty underwhelming. People complaining of crashes, an uninspiring initial game lineup, the whole "core" versus "deluxe" package thing, and, honestly, nice but not mind-blowing graphics. I'm not seeing anything that screams "buy me!" at this stage.

FreshJive787

• Furry furrier
Xbox 360
« Reply #37 on: 24 Nov 2005, 01:16 »

Quote from: JJMitchell
It appears that as we all thought the 360 is buggy.

Click Me.

yeah, what a suprise, one system bugs out. the same thing happened with the ps2, some faulty systems get past the quality check. this doesnt give you the right to discredit the system entirely.

Sideways

Xbox 360
« Reply #38 on: 24 Nov 2005, 08:35 »

Let's stop the rabid fanboyisms, please.

First, not 'every' system has bugs when it launches.

The PS2 did, but the PS1 didn't.  The PSP did, so did the DS (to a much lesser extent).  The XBox didn't, but the XBox 360 seems to.  I don't recall Nintendo ever launching a console, and having bugs with it.

Second, no one is trying to discredit a system that hasn't even been available for a week.  We'll wait a year or so before discrediting it.  :P

LiterSize

• Curry sauce
Xbox 360
« Reply #39 on: 24 Nov 2005, 09:43 »

Fresh:  Did you not bother to look at all those links provided on the one JJ put up?  This isn't just one system that's bugged, it looks like a substantial percentage.

ASturge

Xbox 360
« Reply #40 on: 24 Nov 2005, 10:34 »

I'm going to wait for the Revolution.

XBOX360 is just XBOX with prettier graphics.

Sideways

Xbox 360
« Reply #41 on: 24 Nov 2005, 10:37 »

In terms of launches, the N64 had a MUCH more impressive launchweek/month than the PS1 or the Sega Saturn.  It sold way more units, had higher-rated launch titles, and generally captured nothing but critical acclaim.

At the end of that console war, it was soundly lagging at the back of the race... a promising launch had never properly been followed-up.  Most of the games being played, 4 or 5 years later, were still launch titles.

In this last console war, the XBox had a MUCH more impressive launch than the PS2, and yet the PS2 is clearly the winner.

So... the Xbox 360 launch...

It's buggy.  The games are lacklustre, and don't show what the system can do (supposedly).  The 'real' launch is happening next spring, but until then, people have to be content with ports, sequels or multi-platform releases... nothing truly original.  Not very impressive at all.

Being the first out of the gate is also not always a good thing, as we have seen time and time again.

However, there can be no assurances, period, until we get the 'real' XBox 360 launch next year, and can compare it with the Nintendo and Playstation launches.

Since this thread has fallen into rabid fanboyism, and immature "my system is better than your system" fighting, and has basically gone off-topic, maybe a lock is necessary?

nihilist

Xbox 360
« Reply #42 on: 24 Nov 2005, 11:49 »

Hrm.  The xbox didn't have a large launch, nothing lavish.  Certainly nothing like this year's E3 shit that went on by all parties.  Also, the PS2 came out well before the xbox.  Uphill battle and all that.

However, I think this will be this.  We're degenerating!

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
Xbox 360
« Reply #43 on: 24 Nov 2005, 14:45 »

i am pretty convinced that every topic related to a specific game console or macs will always degenerate into shit.

for what it's worth, i won't be buying any system that costs too much (ie: no xbox360 for me until/unless it comes down), or anything from Sony until it straightens its fucking act up in relation to treatment of its customers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up