THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 07:31
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The People of Paper by Salvador Plascencia  (Read 2448 times)

Stifled Dreams

The People of Paper by Salvador Plascencia
« on: 09 Aug 2006, 23:15 »

I read this book recently and it is probably my favorite that I've read this summer. To sum it up...
Quote from: mookers
ABOUT THE DUDE WHO PISSED HIS BED
AND HID FROM JUPITER IN TURTLES OF LEAD

It is about Federico de la Fe, a man so lonely after his wife leaves due to his bed wetting and the war he leads against Jupiter. But it is sort of about a lot of other things, like heart break and loneliness and acceptance and things... and people who are made out of paper. So in that sense it borders fantasy, I guess.

Part of me was annoyed because the way it is written seemed sort of gimmicky, but I've decided that it did work well. The text is organized in columns told from different points of views.

Man I'm awful at describing this... but have any of you read it? It is totally worth checking out of the library.

mookers

« Reply #1 on: 09 Aug 2006, 23:21 »

it was really more about the battle between the author and the world he created, i think.

sorta along the lines of Cool World but that movie sucked. this book is the coolest and if you have any sense and haven't gone through more than a couple of lobotomies you would really enjoy this book.

saintoflevelheadedlovers

« Reply #2 on: 19 Sep 2006, 05:14 »

Quote from: mookers
it was really more about the battle between the author and the world he created, i think.

sorta along the lines of Cool World but that movie sucked. this book is the coolest and if you have any sense and haven't gone through more than a couple of lobotomies you would really enjoy this book.

Uhm... uh huh.

Strangely, I have had neither lobotomy nor do I lack sense and still there was something unbelievably annoying about the ee cummings-esque arrangement of the story.

I have no problem playing with style but when your story becomes more about style than about the story I develop one. Honestly, about 50 or so pages in I got completely bored. And honestly, I was kind of sad about it, some time ago, I saw Plasencia read from this tome at my local bookstore and enjoyed his reading very much.

Much like the Beat writers, only a few of the McSweeney's crowd will be remembered in time. I applaud pushing the literary envelope but when you need to be on barbituates to read a story (see Ferlinghetti) you lose me.

Perhaps I'm a bit more traditional than I think, but for me, Plascencia strikes the same chord.
Pages: [1]   Go Up