Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RENT  (Read 7488 times)

practicality

RENT
« on: 24 Nov 2005, 21:22 »

This is about Rent, the movie. I haven't seen it, and I'm not sure if I will, but a lot of people I know are very excited about it.

So. Thoughts? Praise? Criticism? Excitement? Vomiting?

Bunnyman

RENT
« Reply #1 on: 25 Nov 2005, 00:17 »

Stunning apathy.

scrub

RENT
« Reply #2 on: 26 Nov 2005, 20:09 »

So awesome.

I loved every part of it.  The only flaw was that Anthony Rapp's character isn't all in-depth.  They cut out a few songs, also.. and that was a bit disappointing.

Kid Modernist

RENT
« Reply #3 on: 26 Nov 2005, 20:13 »

Everyone has AIDS! AIDS AIDS AIDS!

scrub

RENT
« Reply #4 on: 26 Nov 2005, 20:56 »

Not everyone.. just four out of eight main characters..

Micolithe

RENT
« Reply #5 on: 26 Nov 2005, 22:08 »

Quote from: scrub
Not everyone.. just four out of eight main characters..
Still, those are terrible odds.

Nettle

• Larger than most fish
RENT
« Reply #6 on: 27 Nov 2005, 06:21 »

I think the AIDS AIDS AIDS! comment was in reference to "Lease" :D
www.notebookinhand.com -Forum for creative people.

www.maidmarianandhermerrymen.co.uk - Remember Maid Marian And Her Merry Men? Join the fanforum!
http://fluffybricks.blogspot.com You might not believe your eyes!

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
RENT
« Reply #7 on: 27 Nov 2005, 09:31 »

Mmmmm, parody.
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

Kthak

RENT
« Reply #8 on: 27 Nov 2005, 22:19 »

I've seen the musical twice, one on Broadway and once in Washington DC with the original cast. It's an amazing musical and I very much look forward to seeing it in movie form.

I'm a little dissapointed that they cut songs though.

LiterSize

• Curry sauce
RENT
« Reply #9 on: 27 Nov 2005, 23:26 »

Maybe people could provide more than a one-liner or so, please?  It'd help to understand the different viewpoints.

I've never seen the stage show but I did listen to the whole soundtrack prior.  I thoroughly enjoyed it.  My friends have told me great things about Rent since way back, and I went to watch it tonight.  I thoroughly enjoyed it.  The music was nothing I wasn't expecting but the cast was good and I could definitely see where some things MUST have come from the stage layout.  The cast was cool, and I was surprised at how well Jesse L. Martin (from "Law  & Order" as far as I'm concerned) and Taye Diggs played out.  Idena Menzel (playing Maureen) reminded me of Nelly Furtado, oddly enough only with a way stronger voice.  I do like how the songs were treated this time, as a part of the action rather than separately like "Chicago."  I did find it weird though that whenever a song broke out though it was like the people in the background going, "Oh look!  A show has broken out!"

The pacing was brisk, and I noted that a lot was cut out (not unexpected for a musical-> movie translation) but in no way is that a criticism.  It made sense to cut things out, and it didn't feel like too much was lost (except for some humanizing that Benny received on stage in the material that was cut).  Rosario Dawson didn't look like she stuck out too much, being one of the two not from the Broadway cast ("Joanne" being the other.)  I enjoyed it though, and it was a great  way to spend an evening with The Lady.

bucky_2300

• Furry furrier
RENT
« Reply #10 on: 28 Nov 2005, 19:07 »

I loved that movie. I am wearing my Rent t-shirt (homemade, in true Bohemian style) right now. The songs were great, and I should admit that I cried during a couple parts of the movie.
Click Here!

KTkat

• Balloon animal serial killer
RENT
« Reply #11 on: 28 Nov 2005, 22:36 »

I went to see it opening night with my friends- yes, a couple of us are Rentheads, I admit it. Can't wait 'til May when I get to see it on Broadway.

But anyway, yes, the movie was a fairly good adaptation from the stage production. A little disappointed on some of the cuts- some details on characters were kind of lost (ex. Joanne's anal-ness that Maureen complains about wasn't seen because of a phone/voicemail segment being cut). The songs were great though. I especially loved Rent and La Vie Boheme...amazing.

bucky, what does your shirt look like?? We made shirts too! There were 8 of us, and we each had a character...*geek* :)
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."
~Oscar Wilde

TheCourtJester

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • OB/GYN/OMG/WTF/BBQ!
RENT
« Reply #12 on: 30 Nov 2005, 01:42 »

This stage/film translation made the other ones look like a travesty, IMO. I think a great deal of it had to do with so many of the original actors being in it. Strangely, I prefer the movie sountrack version over the original cast recording. Something about it sounds much cleaner...more like it was intended to be.

Anyone else know that Ideni Menzel played Elpheba in "Wicked?" It took me forever to figure out where I'd heard her voice before.

It's really very sad that Jonathan Larson died. "Rent" isn't necessarily the BEST SHOW EVAR or anything, but it was his first work. The potential it showed is part of what makes it amazing. The way he could make the characters so real, along with making sharp transition from songs like "RENT" to "Will I" (the song the people in Life Support group sang) and still make it seem totally natural is stunning. This movie was the closest I've ever come to crying during any movie or play. I'm sure a bit of it is because of the amount of realism it brings, especially with Angel (long story short, I recently 'lost' a guy cousin and 'gained' a girl cousin...but no one died) so part of it hit me personally. I'd imagine everyone who sees it can get something different from it.  

On a completely different note, I've been told about million times I look like Mark. 'Specially when I had darker-rimmed glasses...It's weird.
The sad thing about tennis is that no matter how good you get, you'll never be as good as a wall.

mooface

RENT
« Reply #13 on: 30 Nov 2005, 04:56 »

i can't wait to see it mainly because of idina menzel.  (yay elphaba!)  too bad i won't be able to see it for another 3 weeks at least... :(

Mnementh

RENT
« Reply #14 on: 30 Nov 2005, 06:52 »

Quote from: Nettle
I think the AIDS AIDS AIDS! comment was in reference to "Lease" :D

Team America.

I really like the musical, so I have to get out and see this.

LiterSize

• Curry sauce
RENT
« Reply #15 on: 30 Nov 2005, 07:40 »

****SPOILER***

********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Anyone who has seen the stage show; does Idina Menzel show off her butt when she moons Benny during "La Vie Boheme?"

Otherwise, you're in for an eyeful.

strawberry_gashes

RENT
« Reply #16 on: 25 Apr 2006, 16:56 »

Oh god, I loved that movie.  (And the play, of course)

Usualyy I hate musicals, but Rent is definately an exeption.

thermodynamics

RENT
« Reply #17 on: 27 Apr 2006, 20:47 »

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
RENT
« Reply #18 on: 28 Apr 2006, 08:33 »

Good god..Rent is amazing. Not necessarily the movie,which is only good.
 My main gripes are A.) How many damn songs were cut out (more than
 half of them..the stage version was essentially an opera with virtually no
 dialouge) ,and B.) The unecessary editing (more than half of the incredible
song "Goodbye Love" was cut out..as well as all of "Halloween" and a few
other good scenes,and C.) The fucked up chronology. They set the movie
 in 1989-1990,causing a few problems in things mentioned in the movie
(Thelma and Louise,released in 1991). And also,spreading the first act over three days,when it all was supposed to take place in one night.
Hate, rain on me

lh1031

RENT
« Reply #19 on: 23 May 2006, 00:19 »

I thought that of all the actors in the movie Idina was the most lacking.  I love the show and have seen it three time on stage.  I am a theatre major, and I own the movie.  However, it seems that years ofplaying characters with really loud and strong voices such as Maureen and Elphaba has ruined her voice, and it will never again be as strong as it was.

Cartilage Head

• Only pretending to work
  • Do Me Baby
RENT
« Reply #20 on: 24 May 2006, 21:32 »

I will cut you.

Just kidding..sort of.
Hate, rain on me

Houdinimachine

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
    • http://www.myspace.com/houdinimachine/
RENT
« Reply #21 on: 25 May 2006, 07:42 »

I liked it... except for all the songs from the underground rock guy. Those were pretty much all horrible.

La Vie Boheme was awesome.
She gave me a pen. I gave her my heart and she gave me a pen.

moderately brie

RENT
« Reply #22 on: 29 May 2006, 08:26 »

SIGH.

Rent, in itself wasn't a grand musical-movie  like so many before it, but it got the job done.  Sometimes, I wish I could have been on concept design for that movie, for a lot of what I thought was different.  But, yeah.

Adam Pascal, who played Roger (and anyone who has complaints about him...yeah, he's much better on stage than in a movie), was in quite a few rock operas, where I saw him.  (Highlight of my freakin' life).  And I saw Idina in Wicked and of course, she kicked arse.

The whole world would be so much more tolerant if we all watched Rent.

notgoodnight

RENT
« Reply #23 on: 31 May 2006, 23:55 »

I absolutely ADORE Rent. One of the best musicals, hands down. I was quite disappointed in the fact that they cut a lot of songs, especially Goodbye Love. That one explains a lot of what happens at the end. I've never seen the play (god I wish I could afford to go to NYC and see it), but I thought that the movie was brilliant.

KB_Hurr_Hurr

RENT
« Reply #24 on: 19 Sep 2006, 10:42 »

i really REALLY like this movie....i love me music....but i'd love to actually see the play on broadway one day...

i do like however that they tried to use as many of the original characters as they could...
Pages: [1]   Go Up