THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 04:28
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Soul Calibur 3  (Read 7927 times)

Sideways

Soul Calibur 3
« on: 07 Nov 2005, 12:42 »

Has anyone else picked this gem up?

I haven't played around with the Strat RPG game-mode yet... mostly I've been going through the story mode with different characters.  I find the difficulty scaling on this one is much greater than in the previous installments.  The characters actually react much more intelligently to your moves now, and can't be 'cheaped-out' nearly as much (or if you can get a series of cheap hits in, when you try it again, you get molested!).

The graphics are beautiful.  Not a vast improvement over SC2, but you can see how the characters and environs have more polish.

The moves are more refined for the returning characters, and linking combos seems to be more graphically seamless.  There isn't quite so much jarring in the collision, or flat-out laughable collision detection (like there was with some of the more ranged characters previously).  The control scheme seems to have been tightened a fair bit, becoming more forgiving in many respects.

The new characters are pretty cool.  So far I've only tried playing around with Zalasamel (??), the Egyptian scythe-guy... and he is TOUGH to use.  I could not get into a groove with him, and had to start relying on ring-outs just to complete the story-mode with him.  I also tried the demon-girl, who uses the razor-hoop... she's pretty cool.  She reminds me a fair bit of Taki, for some reason.  Very quick, low damage, all about getting fast jabs in, and avoiding counters.

Kilik, my all-time personal favourite, is back, with all his moves from before, and a few new ones.  I've also noted that some of the more difficult moves to pull off (from SC2) have been made a little easier this time around.

In true SC form, every time you pick up the game, you feel as though you've accomplished something.  You get rewards, bonus modes, characters, clothing options, weapons, items, etc... pretty much every time you venture out to fight.  Fighting games need incentives like this, and SC has always pulled this idea off magnificently.

Lastly, the character-creation.  While it is very cool to be able to make your own unique character, I was a little disappointed with the editing options available to you.  That is to say; if I hadn't played Tiger Woods 2K6, I probably would've thought the character-creation in SC3 was fabulous... but after spending over an hour and a half tweaking the look of my golfer in TW2K6, checking out the options available in SC3 left me wanting.

However, you do gain new costume options when you fight in tournaments, and other modes... and having the ability to edit the colours of every piece of clothing/armour/etc is also very nice.

I'd give this game a 9/10 so far.  I've found no faults with it.

Gryff

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Summary sense... tingling!
Soul Calibur 3
« Reply #1 on: 07 Nov 2005, 15:33 »

Quote from: Sideways
if you can get a series of cheap hits in, when you try it again, you get molested!

!

The Soul Calibur Series is pretty darn good, really. I hear that this one is not a huge leap from number 2, but hey, why mess with a winning formula?

I'm keen to check it out.

Duchess Tapioca

• Larger than most fish
    • Somebody wrote something about me on the internet!
Soul Calibur 3
« Reply #2 on: 07 Nov 2005, 17:09 »

I like any game where I get to beat people up, I also liked tekkin.

Rizzo

• Bling blang blong blung
  • R'lyeh City Hardcore
    • Riding the failboat
Soul Calibur 3
« Reply #3 on: 07 Nov 2005, 17:25 »

What the hell is tekkin? Ohhhh you mean Tekken... :D Sorry

I'm looking forward to playing this game. I've always found the ability to use weapons more fun than Tekken.
Quote from: Jimmy the Squid
Sometimes I feel like everyone around me is some sort of statistical/mathematical genuis and I'm hitting a gazelle in the head with a rock and screaming at the sky when there's a storm.

will: wanton sex god

• Cthulhu f'tagn
Soul Calibur 3
« Reply #4 on: 07 Nov 2005, 17:39 »

felt it wasnt enough of a step forward to warrant purchase based on 3ish hours of play

Sideways

Soul Calibur 3
« Reply #5 on: 08 Nov 2005, 07:52 »

Well, there are more modes, more characters, more environments, and there's generally a bit more replay value, but it's not a completely reinvented game.  It's a new Soul Calibur.  If you were expecting something earth-shatteringly new, then I could see why you'd be disappointed.

However, that Strat-RPG mode is pretty danged innovative!

sponsz

Soul Calibur 3
« Reply #6 on: 08 Nov 2005, 22:15 »

People have already found a bunch of glitches, though whether they are game-breaking or not isn't certain.  I still really want this game, though.

• Cthulhu f'tagn
Soul Calibur 3
« Reply #7 on: 09 Nov 2005, 02:57 »

Well, there are more modes, more characters, more environments, and there's generally a bit more replay value, but it's not a completely reinvented game.  It's a new Soul Calibur.  If you were expecting something earth-shatteringly new, then I could see why you'd be disappointed.

i dont think its asking much for the characters to have a few new animations, not ones ive been seeing since dremcast.  

also some fighting games introduce more than 3 characters at a time and ocassionally add something new to the fightning s ystem :-/

bjcamp95

Soul Calibur 3
« Reply #8 on: 09 Nov 2005, 10:39 »

i was personally dissapointed when i looked at my 2nd favorite character (taki) and saw how she looked like a muscular man rather than the thin ninja... it might have been the ps2 version i was using.. but i didnt enjoy it. i personally think that the graphics were better on 2.. but idk.. i might buy it once it goes down in price but i dont see a good enough reason to buy it till then.

Sideways

Soul Calibur 3
« Reply #9 on: 09 Nov 2005, 10:46 »

Actually, there are more than 3 new characters.  There are 3 new main characters, but a bunch of brand new unlockable characters, who just aren't integral to the story.

Many of the animations have been changed since SC2, and they're almost all different from the Dreamcast days.

The new counter system, along with being able to actually acquire new abilities for your character, in an almost RPG-like sense, don't count as being something 'new added to the fighting system'?

Not to be rude, but.... have you actually played the game, or have you just read reviews?

Fabio

Soul Calibur 3
« Reply #10 on: 09 Nov 2005, 15:10 »

I've been meaning to pick SC3 up, I loved the second one I played through it on all the difficulties with knightmare. (best character by far)

Larkke

Soul Calibur 3
« Reply #11 on: 10 Nov 2005, 20:25 »

Quote from: Fabio
nightmare. (best character by far)

Dude, no. Dude. No, dude, no. Dude. No, dude. No.

Voldo for teh winz.

• Cthulhu f'tagn
Soul Calibur 3
« Reply #12 on: 10 Nov 2005, 20:30 »

Actually, there are more than 3 new characters.  There are 3 new main characters, but a bunch of brand new unlockable characters, who just aren't integral to the story.

Many of the animations have been changed since SC2, and they're almost all different from the Dreamcast days.

The new counter system, along with being able to actually acquire new abilities for your character, in an almost RPG-like sense, don't count as being something 'new added to the fighting system'?

Not to be rude, but.... have you actually played the game, or have you just read reviews?

yes, i have.  i dont really conside those characters to be characters...theyre just kind of there.  counter system didnt adda a whole lot, just made it easier.  graphics are only as nub above sc 2...and really alot of the animations are rehashed.

backgrounds look pretty decent though :)

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
Soul Calibur 3
« Reply #13 on: 10 Nov 2005, 21:59 »

I'm having a lot of fun with it.

They've made the big-weapon characters (Rock, Astaroth, Siegfried, etc.) a lot more useable, to me. The AI is better too (at least in Tales of the Sword mode- you can pretty much go through most of the RTS fights by picking a fast weapon and hitting AA BB AA BB over and over again).

SC1 is still my favorite, but I do enjoy the sequels.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

IronOxide

• Scrabble hacker
Soul Calibur 3
« Reply #14 on: 11 Nov 2005, 17:54 »

I'm definitely going to pick this game up as soon as I get money and fix my PS2. Why oh why did I have to have a goddamn birthday before they released the updated version that actually, you know WORKS?
Quote from: Wikipedia on Elephant Polo
No matches have been played since February 2007, however, when an elephant, protesting a bad call by the referee, went on a rampage during a game, injuring two players and destroying the Spanish team's minibus

starrydagger

• Not quite a lurker
Soul Calibur 3
« Reply #15 on: 28 Nov 2005, 18:54 »

Quote from: Larkke
Quote from: Fabio
nightmare. (best character by far)

Dude, no. Dude. No, dude, no. Dude. No, dude. No.

Voldo for teh winz.
WRONG mitsuguri (sp?)
 he is teh perfect blance between power and speed and doesn't look like a guy in spandex who is insane
why do ants hide behind trees?

to trip elephants of course!

Bunnyman

Soul Calibur 3
« Reply #16 on: 28 Nov 2005, 23:28 »

Huh-buh-wha? moment of the evening.  I must now play this game.  That is all.

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
Soul Calibur 3
« Reply #17 on: 29 Nov 2005, 00:57 »

What shape is Yoshimitsu's head in this one? I wasn't really impressed with the SC2 one. I'm used to the Tekken Yoshi.
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

Mikintosh

• Emoticontraindication
Soul Calibur 3
« Reply #18 on: 29 Nov 2005, 09:51 »

I like how they didn't release it for Nintendo even though it sold better for Gamecube than the PS2. True, it was mostly because of Link, but there's nothing wrong with that.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
Soul Calibur 3
« Reply #19 on: 29 Nov 2005, 13:42 »

Quote from: McTaggart
What shape is Yoshimitsu's head in this one? I wasn't really impressed with the SC2 one. I'm used to the Tekken Yoshi.

his head is now shaped like a squid.
I havae only playe dthis game cause my friend owns it and all ready I believe i may be addicted to it.  One of the best parts was beating another friend that had a time tested combo to winning and finding the flaw it takes to beat him even though it was the first time I played

Sideways

Soul Calibur 3
« Reply #20 on: 29 Nov 2005, 14:16 »

I love how the characters have such balance... and not in the 'OMG THEY ARE ALL SO POWERFUL' sense, but rather in having defined strengths and weaknesses.

Take my VS. playstyle, for example.

I use Kilik and Ivy for virtually every match, unless I'm up against a 'big-weapon' character... then I try to use Maxi or Talim.  Someone close-quarters in their style, with really quick/disruptive moves, to keep the big guns from getting their killer moves off on me.

Then again, there are some characters, when used well, that I just can't seem to best without a LOT of luck.  Cervantes comes to mind.  He is a BITCH on the harder difficulties.  Arguably the hardest character in the game in the higher levels... he's just so fast, and still hits so hard!

McTaggart

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • Positive feedback.
Soul Calibur 3
« Reply #21 on: 29 Nov 2005, 22:02 »

Quote from: Blue Kitty
his head is now shaped like a squid.

Awesome.
One day ends and another begins and we're never none the wiser.

QC_fan

Soul Calibur 3
« Reply #22 on: 02 Dec 2005, 03:55 »

The words are...I must get it!
I dont think its come out in the UK yet...

Symp

• Emoticontraindication
Soul Calibur 3
« Reply #23 on: 03 Dec 2005, 20:26 »

I had a chance to play this recently.

Wave swords are my cup of tea, as well as the ringblade.

I was like a spinning top of doom
Saying sorry isn't an excuse when you do something stupid on purpose

The Mighty Mopdecai

Soul Calibur 3
« Reply #24 on: 08 Dec 2005, 03:17 »

This is a brilliant game I have rented it out now for the second occasion its nothing new but as people elsewhere have sid why mess with a winning formula.

I like to mix a bit favourite caharacters Nightmare, Yoshimitu (not spelled right) Talim and at the moment I am trying to get good with Setuka when I get the game when its a bit cheaper.

neomang5

• Curry sauce
  • Machine of Rage and Hate
Soul Calibur 3
« Reply #25 on: 03 Jan 2006, 05:35 »

I dont want this thread to die!

This game is seriously fun, if not a bit more difficult than SC2. I've only beaten Sigfreid's storyline, but i thought it was a MUCH better storyline bit than either of the others.

Also, perhaps we could post our Custom Characters, and how to make them? I enjoy just messing about in that mode, and probably (once i have more money and fighting styles) will begin creating characters that i'll actually keep.
i don't understand why you're implying that i have to come to terms with your crippling failings as a person

Sideways

Soul Calibur 3
« Reply #26 on: 03 Jan 2006, 07:53 »

I haven't played this in awhile.  DAMN MY BUSY LIFE!

And now that I have DragonQuest 8, I don't know that I'll be playing it any time in the near future.

I'm falling behind in games... I seriously have about 10 games at home that I want to play/finish... but I have so little time to game anymore.  I'm going to have to stop myself from buying anymore, and just focus on those 10 until the PS3 comes out.
Pages: [1]   Go Up